Fixtures Tuesday April 23rd - Chelsea - Emirates Stadium - 8:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:44 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], warrior and 151 guests

Post #499121  Posted: Thu May 30, 2019 1:54 pm 

Darren wrote:
This letter on Football365 is a pretty depressing read, albeit one I agree with.

This is on Kroenke and Wenger
Things do not look good at Arsenal.

A squad carried by 2 strikers who probably both want out.

Two number 10s on combined wages of over £500k a week who will be frightfully hard to sell given they’d both be turned down by any top 8 club due to their inconsistency.

A midfield “lynchpin” that cost more than £30m and cannot offer any meaningful form of defensive cover.

A defence with maybe 2-3 players that would be wanted by a top 8 club, including a £30m+ singing that appears to be worth less than £10-15m just 3 years after signing him.

They’re losing their only top quality, star midfielder (and third top goal scorer) on a free.

They’re losing their back-up striker and back-up goalkeeper on frees / retirement.

They’re probably losing 3 full-backs on free transfers.

They’re probably losing their third choice, international goalkeeper for next to nothing.

Arsenal appear to be 7-8 successful new signings and 3-4 successful academy promotions away from having a squad that could compete for a top 4 spot or a Europa League Final win… and that’s if their recruitment and talent management is up to scratch and their star strikers don’t push for a move away. Given that:

1) The clubs around them have a lot of money to spend on improving their squads;
2) They let their “Diamond Eye” head of recruitment leave without a replacement; and
3) The club claim to have just £40m plus sales proceeds to spend in the summer window…things do look pretty bad.

With Wolves and Leicester showing ambition, Arsenal appear to have a much better chance of falling into the top 8 category than they do of breaking back into the top 4.

The galling thing for Arsenal fans though is that the club had the opportunity to cement themselves in the top 4 but chose not to take it. Kroenke and Wenger refused to invest in building a strong squad – they allowed it to rot for an unknown and inconceivable reason but it wasn’t due to lack of resources as they once proclaimed.

Comparing Arsenal with how Liverpool and Spurs have acted over the past 11 financial years illustrates this best.

In the 6 year period 2008-2013, after Arsenal had moved into the Emirates but in the run-up to FFP being implemented, Profit before Interest and Tax (a sound approximation for measuring FFP) was on average each year:
– Positive £48m at Arsenal (total of £289m over the 6 years).
– Positive £9m at Spurs (total of £54m over the 6 years).
– Negative £19m at Liverpool (total of negative £114m over the 6 years).

This was the period where supposedly Arsenal could not invest in its squad and fans had to be patient because eventually, the new stadium would allow them to compete. With hindsight access to the accounts, these statements appear to be false. Falsehoods told to fans to keep them spending big money on tickets whilst the shareholders effectively pocketed it all by building up the accounts for a sale.

Even if you accept that they couldn’t raise equity instead of debt (which they definitely could have) the average Profit Before Tax (what Arsenal had free to spend after paying off any debt) was £31m per year over that period. £185m over 6 years that could have been spent on the squad at a time when that would have had a huge impact.

Whilst Liverpool and Spurs were investing as best they could, Fiszman et al. plumped the club up for an eventual sale, at the expense of supporters funding everything.

Whilst Liverpool and Spurs were trying to invest and compete, Arsenal rested on their laurels and allowed the club to rot.

Now, let’s look at how that’s paid off for the club. Over the past 5 years of published financial data (2014-2018), average PBIT has been:
– Positive £42m at Arsenal (total of £210m over the 6 years)
– Positive £75m at Spurs (total of £373m over the 6 years)
– Positive £47m at Liverpool (total of £236m over the 6 years).

At first, Arsenal appears to be doing well but consider three things:

1) Liverpool and Spurs show growth into positive profitability in an FFP world, whereas Arsenal shows erosion. Despite the huge increases in TV money and Commercial deals, their profitability is declining.
2) Liverpool’s and Spurs’ squads (the clubs’ true value) are both probably worth double what Arsenal’s is worth.
3) In the most recent financial year, 2018: Arsenal yielded PBIT of £79m, with an expectation this could crash to below zero in 2019, whereas Spurs recorded PBIT of £157m and Liverpool £133m.

Spurs’ and Liverpool’s investment at a time when they could do so, before FFP fully kicked in, has paid off. Arsenal’s refusal to even invest their own resources, let alone that of their shareholders, has resulted in a hole which they cannot dig out of. They’re stuck now and I don’t see any leadership at the club, from the owner or the “management”, which suggests they are able to remedy this.

I’m not a “football man” as Arsene Wenger would put it but I have been involved in the finances and strategy for some of the top organisations around the world and my take is this – barring a miracle of good fortune in recruitment such as finding the next 1-2 Messi’s, Ronaldo’s or Neymar’s; Arsenal is finished as a top 4 club.

It can’t ever again compete for the Premier League or Champions League – it has allowed itself to fall too far behind at a time when it could easily have pushed onto great things. Like I said, galling for fans and supporters but also truly bizarre acts from a supposedly smart businessman. The value of the club is plummeting and Kroenke appears to have no interest in correcting this. It would be a sad fizzling out for what was once a great club of the English game and Premier League.

Wow. When you put it in those terms, it doesn't matter who the manager is. We're *%^@**.

Post #499122  Posted: Thu May 30, 2019 1:58 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Disagree with the article Darren posted. No, this is on Kroenke. Again, ad nauseum. Wenger could only do what he was allowed to. If a CEO hires someone and that person continues to under perform, and is rarely if ever questioned about it, whose fault ultimately is it?

Your wrong.

The majority on this is Kroenke, Wenger and Gazidis specific

Slightly more sympathy for Gazidis who realised Wenger was past it but was not allowed to sack him.

Wenger drove our squad value to a point it’s worthless, drove away our best players and made the remaining ones worse.

Like the article illustrates it’s a multitude of issues but total incompetent running of a football club top to bottom

Post #499123  Posted: Thu May 30, 2019 2:07 pm 

It’s very much a faded memory. That time when we were knocking out trophies under a great manager Arsene, and moving to a brand new large stadium would enable us to kick on for total domination. No one could stop us.

Post #499124  Posted: Thu May 30, 2019 2:55 pm 

Had to give the final a miss due to an early engagement, day after. Had hoped to wake up with good news. Must admit, waking up to the result did not affect me as much as it usually does. In fact, I am currently just happy another frustrating season is over. For next season, bring in the promising youth players. And please Emery, give them more playing time. Stop procrastinating on them. Stop procrastinating like your predecessor did with his decision making. It is clear so many of the senior players are either not good enough, not driven enough or just plain poor with their attitude. Shift them aside for the youth players. A season or two of mid-table, but very driven players is better than watching your overpaid players strolling around. Hopefully, the youth players grow and in 2 years, get complemented with one or two star players. Well, being an armchair coach is easy. And I admit it is easier said than done. But, the current state of the club and its long list of poor players is clear to so many of our fans. Not to mention, reporters, ex-players, other ex-players, and all other fans ...............

Post #499125  Posted: Thu May 30, 2019 3:48 pm 

Darren wrote:

Whilst Liverpool and Spurs were investing as best they could, Fiszman et al. plumped the club up for an eventual sale, at the expense of supporters funding everything.

Utterly repulsive. The line that brings it all home is we’re done as a top 4 club. I think that’s probably true.

Post #499126  Posted: Thu May 30, 2019 4:47 pm 

I've been watching the Man City documentary on Amazon, All or Nothing. They seem like the absolute polar opposite of our club, even take away the money and the difference is vast.

The enthusiasm, energy and intensity in everything Guardiola does is amazing. The respect everyone has for him is huge, they hang off his every word and would clearly run through a brick wall for him.
Secondly, Vincent Kompany is the absolute epitome of a club captain and leader of that group. He sets the standard, he speaks players listen.
Third, the board of directors are absolutely single minded in what they are doing, they are clear, collaborative and decisive.

The link between board, manager, players and fans is exactly what any successful club needs. Strong links between all 4 and all pulling in the same direction. I don't think we have a single strong link between any of those 4 main groups of Arsenal football club.
The fans hate the owner, indifferent about the manager and would happily boo some of the players.
The board and manager may say the same things in public but the board won't back him with funds.
The manager and players have had fallings out (Özil) and the players don't seem to be able to take the managers instructions, or the manager can't motivate the players.
Total discord at every turn

The start of the turnaround is to get the fans on board with something we can believe in, that means a revolution, stop making the same mistakes on the pitch, inject some pride, hunger and passion in every game.

Post #499127  Posted: Thu May 30, 2019 6:10 pm 

Rich wrote:
The start of the turnaround is to get the fans on board with something we can believe in, that means a revolution, stop making the same mistakes on the pitch, inject some pride, hunger and passion in every game.

How will that happen with a disinterested owner who only sees the balance sheet?, he wasn't even there for a cup final ffs, even the Russian gangster was there despite probably wanting out of Chelsea now, just shows the level of interest/drive/ambition Kroenke has - zero.

So frustrating as I've seen this coming for a decade, too all those utter muppets who held up banners saying hate Usmanov etc. this is on you, enjoy watching the next 20 years of midtable football, you fools actually bought the self-sustaining PR bs, hook, line and sinker.

Post #499128  Posted: Thu May 30, 2019 6:33 pm 

Wilts-Gooner wrote:
Rich wrote:

How will that happen with a disinterested owner who only sees the balance sheet?, he wasn't even there for a cup final ffs, even the Russian gangster was there despite probably wanting out of Chelsea now, just shows the level of interest/drive/ambition Kroenke has - zero.

So frustrating as I've seen this coming for a decade, too all those utter muppets who held up banners saying hate Usmanov etc. this is on you, enjoy watching the next 20 years of midtable football, you fools actually bought the self-sustaining PR bs, hook, line and sinker.

I think we all bought it didn’t we? If we go back far enough to when Abramovic first turned up “firing £50 notes onto the Highbury lawn”

Post #499129  Posted: Thu May 30, 2019 6:35 pm 

Emery meant to be going for Muenier the right back from PSG. He could cost £20m odd. With Bellerin pretty high up on most fans keep list it would seem a strange priority.
If you were stacked full of 2 top players in every position except RB and we’re kicking your heels together wondering how to spend your budget then this absolutely makes sense, but hopefully any money we do have goes straight on a pair of CB

Post #499130  Posted: Thu May 30, 2019 6:41 pm 

Arseblog is right. Kroenke is our Gillette and Hicks owner. We need to up our discontent.

Post #499131  Posted: Thu May 30, 2019 7:18 pm 

Rich wrote:
Emery meant to be going for Muenier the right back from PSG. He could cost £20m odd. With Bellerin pretty high up on most fans keep list it would seem a strange priority.
If you were stacked full of 2 top players in every position except RB and we’re kicking your heels together wondering how to spend your budget then this absolutely makes sense, but hopefully any money we do have goes straight on a pair of CB

Bellerin did his cruciate. That’s a pretty major injury which pretty much ruined Paul Gascoignes career. It’s not something you can walk back into the side after and be expected to play 70 games in a full campaign. The signing would be logical if a little frustrating as we need to reinforce many parts of our bog average side

Post #499132  Posted: Thu May 30, 2019 7:26 pm 

If I was Aubameyang I would be on my bike this summer.

He's 30, at the peak of his powers as the PL golden boot winner and will want to win things before his career ends. Why would you stay to play in the Europa League or compete for a top four place.

Post #499133  Posted: Thu May 30, 2019 7:33 pm 

socrates wrote:

He's 30, at the peak of his powers as the PL golden boot winner and will want to win things before his career ends. Why would you stay to play in the Europa League or compete for a top four place.

Both strikers might want to leave. Alan Davies of Tuesday club fame wrote a small list of players he wanted to keep and both strikers were not on it.

Let’s say we did sell

Lacazette 80 million
Aubameyang 60
Mustafi 20
El Nenny 10 ( btw my mate knows the girl he’s “dating” and she says he has already agreed to join a Turkish club)

That would give the club 170 million to wheel and deal in the market and try and rebuild the squad. Would be a major call but drastic measures are needed. Any further exits are handy but I cant see us being able to offload Özil and Henrik

Post #499134  Posted: Thu May 30, 2019 7:35 pm 

We are stuck with Kroenke. There is no economic reason why he'd want to sell. We are now a club where you go in order to eventually get to what is deemed a bigger club. Within our league its City and Liverpool but also Man Utd even though they finish below us. In the near future it will be sperz if it isn't already.

A lot of fans are naive about our place in the football universe.

Post #499135  Posted: Thu May 30, 2019 9:00 pm 

Gunfire wrote:
grantyboy wrote:
Emery needs to go. A marginal points increase in the PL but due to a season start where everyone was trying hard to prove themselves to the manager. No improvement in defence.

Apparently he was hired on the basis of having a detailed plan about how to improve each and every player. Of the squad, how many improved? I'd also say that most of them got worse as the season wore on.

Give him a season I hear the cry. What for? He's a dud so why bother wasting another year.

This is the sort of nonsense that bedevils modern football. Klopp finished 6th in his first season and I remember his team get right hidings like being beaten 6-0 by Stoke. You've got to give him a chance.

Why is it such nonsense .... ?

Klopp took over ; got dealt some harsh lessons and transformed the side .

Emery has done the opposite ; took over ... embarked on a long unbeaten run ; then managed to totally f*%%$ up the easiest end of season run in for Champions League qualification against low level opposition who had nothing to play for .

It would suggest that the players wanted to perform for the "new broom" initially ; then either [ a ] moved into their comfort zone or [b ] got disillusioned with his tactics and fell to pieces .

Post #499136  Posted: Thu May 30, 2019 9:02 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
socrates wrote:

Both strikers might want to leave. Alan Davies of Tuesday club fame wrote a small list of players he wanted to keep and both strikers were not on it.

Let’s say we did sell

Lacazette 80 million
Aubameyang 60
Mustafi 20
El Nenny 10 ( btw my mate knows the girl he’s “dating” and she says he has already agreed to join a Turkish club)

That would give the club 170 million to wheel and deal in the market and try and rebuild the squad. Would be a major call but drastic measures are needed. Any further exits are handy but I cant see us being able to offload Özil and Henrik

Would you trust us to spend it wisely though, we wasted about a shedload on a loan move for the Spanish lad in Jan.

Post #499137  Posted: Thu May 30, 2019 9:26 pm 

socrates wrote:

Would you trust us to spend it wisely though, we wasted about a shedload on a loan move for the Spanish lad in Jan.

Gidday Soc .... I wouldn't because Unai comes across as a bit soft .

Sure he inherited the train wreck from the last Wenger years but the basic principle , attack at pace as passed him by .

Essential ingredients needed in this side are passion and size and I don't think he's grasped that .

Every other team in the Premier League knows get amongst us and our gay boys will fold .

Look at the final , Wolves , Palace , Leicester etc etc etc ... we move the ball here , there , everywhere back and forth HOPING something will happen .

Other teams have players Zaha , Sterling , Hazard , Son who want to MAKE something happen

Post #499138  Posted: Thu May 30, 2019 9:31 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
We are stuck with Kroenke. There is no economic reason why he'd want to sell. We are now a club where you go in order to eventually get to what is deemed a bigger club. Within our league its City and Liverpool but also Man Utd even though they finish below us. In the near future it will be sperz if it isn't already.

Yep and to be frank I can't be arsed with it, it may sound ungrateful but you have to have hope in football, with KSE there is no hope, just permanent, unrelenting mediocrity, well I am not signing up for that s**t. Take YOUR Arsenal and shove it. My Arsenal is dead.

Post #499139  Posted: Thu May 30, 2019 9:53 pm 

I wonder how many of the other 19 prem clubs will outspend us this summer? Make it 18 if Chelsea have a ban. I reckon at least 12/13 of them will have a net spend more than us.

I get that our wage bill compared to Leicester or Wolves is huge, but if that is the reason we can’t spend more than them, and it trumps the millions more we get than them in sponsorship, gate receipts, other commercial deals, prize money and generally years of being a top club then that is nonsense.

For example if our squad of 25 is on an average of £100k a week each that is £130m a year on wages. If we’re conservative and say liecester are on half of that at £65m per year. Well we just earned £40m from the Europa run and have signed a £30m Adidas deal and a £10m a year Emirates deal AND we bring in around £30m more per season in ticket sales due to a larger stadium and higher prices.
I mean the whole thing is just not logical that any team outside the top 6 can outspend us even with our bigger wage spend

Post #499140  Posted: Thu May 30, 2019 9:55 pm 

Wilts-Gooner wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

Yep and to be frank I can't be arsed with it, it may sound ungrateful but you have to have hope in football, with KSE there is no hope, just permanent, unrelenting mediocrity, well I am not signing up for that s**t. Take YOUR Arsenal and shove it. My Arsenal is dead.

This is exactly what I said about wenger. The hope was gone. The unknown was gone. Why would you follow sport without the hope?

Post #499141  Posted: Thu May 30, 2019 9:59 pm 

socrates wrote:
...I'd give Emery a 6 out of 10 this season, not terrible but no great shakes either. Our end of season was relegation form and that has to reflect badly on the manager as well as the players...
Yes, I'd agree with that. He merits another season, but if, as sometimes happens, the poor form at the end of one campaign flows into the start of another, he could be gone by Christmas. Losing a final to a better team happens, and is understandable. The way the team failed to take its unexpected chance of a top four position was hugely disappointing, and was far more blameworthy.

Post #499142  Posted: Thu May 30, 2019 10:09 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
It’s very much a faded memory. That time when we were knocking out trophies under a great manager Arsene, and moving to a brand new large stadium would enable us to kick on for total domination. No one could stop us.
And then a man with untold billions in his pocket turned up in West London and rapidly changed the face of English and European football. Anyway, we had Dennis Bergkamp, and that memory will never fade!

Post #499143  Posted: Thu May 30, 2019 10:18 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
long time gooner wrote:
And then a man with untold billions in his pocket turned up in West London and rapidly changed the face of English and European football. Anyway, we had Dennis Bergkamp, and that memory will never fade!

Well actually Jack Walker turned up at Blackburn and started changing English football by just buying a title. Then others went ‘well I could do that as well’. No one rung their hands and said let’s stop this nonsense.

No one spoke up when the EPL effectively split from tradition and I suspect no one will speak up if they get some European super league going.

Post #499144  Posted: Thu May 30, 2019 10:55 pm 

I see Bernard hasn't turned up yet after the debacle in Baku. Hope he managed to get away alright or else he's bolt holed it somewhere to ease the pain.
:20hospitals:

Post #499145  Posted: Thu May 30, 2019 11:28 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
grantyboy wrote:
Emery needs to go. A marginal points increase in the PL but due to a season start where everyone was trying hard to prove themselves to the manager. No improvement in defence.

This is plain retarded

Then why did PSG have him and are Barcelona after him,

I’d run a million miles if I was him. Why be involved with our shitshow of a club. Champagne expectations on a poverty budget and inherited a squad with 3 decent players In it and a shocking mentality and culture

Run Unai go to Barca

PSG had him and dumped him and they have far better players than Arsenal. After the Wenger shite, I have zero patience for "wait till May" when there has been no improvement. Players and the defence have become significantly worse through the season. I don't have champagne expectations at all. But I do expect a good manager to be able to improve things like shape, tactics, organisation and to at least instill some effort.

There was a point where Özil was out on the right wing in the first half and he played a short pass to AMN I think. Özil then immediately stopped and walked very slowly back into the middle of the field while AMN tried to take on 3 players alone. That guy should have never been on the pitch and Emery put him there.

Post #499146  Posted: Fri May 31, 2019 1:44 am 

Rich wrote:
So Emery only plays a back 5 because he doesn’t have the players for a back 4. The assumption is that when he gets the players he wants he plays a 4-3-3.
My question is should he have stuck with how he wanted to play from the start and ingrained that style in the players he wanted to keep?
You could argue he has lost a years worth of tactical drilling in to players he wants.

Klopp and Pep played their style from the start. Both struggled with certain aspects. Yes they had money to fix it but the players they kept already knew the system so it was slotting 3-4 new players in rather than teaching the new system to everyone

In all likelihood the only defenders Emery really wants to keep are the two that got injured. Sokratis is useful for the next couple of years, but who else would he keep? Koscielny has no explosiveness since his injury and is struggling. Monreal can't stay fit and is past his best. Kolasinac can't track runners. Lichtseiner is done. Čech is retiring. Mustafi for all his decent general play has proven immune to cutting out terrible errors. Mavrapanos has been injured all year.

As for further forward, Özil can't press effectively. Ramsey can't stay fit, and our other established midfielders aren't mobile enough against athletic opposition.

Emery started to implement a style, but the squad is so weak and ill balanced that after a couple of injuries he had to abandon it all just to try to scrape some points.

This isn't to give him a pass - he made some mistakes that are simple to see. But we have by far the weakest defence and central midfield of the top 6.

Post #499147  Posted: Fri May 31, 2019 1:48 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
After the game a couple of things were finalised in my mind that were in abeyance at the end of the EPL. Kos must go - he’s had it and I wouldn’t have him even around for cup games. Injuries and his lack of mobility are a problem. Only keep Xhaka if we get no buyers. He is slow and cannot defend despite being a defensive player. Monreal same as Kos. Would give N-M 6 months next year but he makes too many critical errors. If it continues he should go. I accept that young players will make mistakes but his seem to be major errors and he seems to panic as in when he gave away the penalty - just showed a lack of any composure.

Many of the other decisions the club should make, but I suspect they will not involve players who are msjor disappointments and must be moved on - Mustafi, Özil etc.

The way Emery talked at the press conference there will be an expectation that some players from the youth will step up. Unfortunately I have not seen one player to match either Fabergas or Bellerins ability from the youths set up.

AMN isn't a full back, hence his errors. Until 3 years ago he was a right winger or a number 10, and is twice the player in central midfield. Rumours linking us to Mounier from PSG, who had his best career form under Emery. If it frees AMN to get a go in his best position, I'm all for it.

Post #499148  Posted: Fri May 31, 2019 1:53 am 

I am closing the season for my own mental health. That’s not to say I will still not buy in about any new posts.

Can I thank all the moderators for another season. Can I also say a thank you to Steve’s family for keeping his memory alive via this site. To all other forumites great to have interaction across the world with so many other fans. It would be a lonely Arsenal existence without this site. That is one positive of the internet.

Post #499149  Posted: Fri May 31, 2019 1:54 am 

Gunfire wrote:
grantyboy wrote:

Apparently he was hired on the basis of having a detailed plan about how to improve each and every player. Of the squad, how many improved? I'd also say that most of them got worse as the season wore on.

Give him a season I hear the cry. What for? He's a dud so why bother wasting another year.

This is the sort of nonsense that bedevils modern football. Klopp finished 6th in his first season and I remember his team get right hidings like being beaten 6-0 by Stoke. You've got to give him a chance. If there is a silver lining it is that he and the entire coaching staff at the club cannot but see the limitations in the squad and are now forced to act. Sticking kids in is not the answer. As I have said at best 1/2 every so often come through. Most don't make it as this level. Nekhetia, Smith-Rowe have shown little to suggest they can make it as this level. Willock; jury is out. I hope I am wrong by the way. Even with sales + 40 million a decent manager could get some seasoned pros to improve the squad. The English league is the biggest in the world so players will want to come and play here.

Smith-Rowe is 18 and has 2 Europa League goals, and has been good everytime he's played - AND Leipzig who's scouting system is one of the best in Europe wanted to buy him before taking him on loan and then subsequently, despite him being injured most of the time he was there. I think he's an excellent prospect.

I would say that while none of these kids are Cesc level, it is the best crop we've had since the mid 1980s. Of course they won't all make it, but Nelson, Nketiah, Willock, Smith-Rowe, Saka, Ameichi, John-Jules, all have a chance, and I suspect 2-3 will make useful squad players at worst. To my mind Willock, Nelson, Nketiah and maybe Emile Smith Rowe are absolutely nailed on as rotation options next season, and one or two will flourish.

Post #499150  Posted: Fri May 31, 2019 1:56 am 

tomc wrote:
Jenkinson, Mustafi, Kos, Monreal, Kolasinac, Elneny, Xhaka, Mkhitaryan, Özil. That is lot of deadwood to shift in one window. Actually Kos and Monreal aren't deadwood, just way past their best.

One thong saying get rid but who is going to buy them?

Xhaka's not deadwood. He's not good enough for our level of ambition, but his good qualities are ones we need and aren't replicated elsewhere. I think during this massive rebuild, he will be important to us.

Post #499151  Posted: Fri May 31, 2019 2:05 am 

long time gooner wrote:

And then Abramovich turned up needing an insurance policy against assassination and the landscape of football changed forever. Suddenly foreign owner and cash were a thing and our old board backed the wrong horse.

Post #499152  Posted: Fri May 31, 2019 2:06 am 

Ash wrote:
Darren wrote:

Utterly repulsive. The line that brings it all home is we’re done as a top 4 club. I think that’s probably true.

Been saying the above for years. Diamond Danny at least put some money in at key times, but the rest of them just milked the cash cow to make themselves rich

Post #499153  Posted: Fri May 31, 2019 4:56 am 

If you did a fan approval rating of the top 6 clubs owners and ranked them from best to worst you’d pretty much get the league table order.

I’d much rather be in Man U’s position than ours. They do have sellable assets and can spend their way back in tothe top 4. Like us their own decisions are what is holding them back, unlike us their money means they will get it right sooner or later

Post #499154  Posted: Fri May 31, 2019 5:03 am 

Lots of theories of how to restart and bring some order and success toArssnal. I haven’t seen anyone mention brining back more of the old players. Particularly from the invincible era. It is probably too early for a lot of them but some are making waves in the game now. Without any leadership from the players we need to get it from the coaching staff, a reminder to every player who walks in to the club whatthe standards are and that pressure is good and we can’t settle for anything less than 100% effort and victory. There are some very intelligent and respected players from that era. That they were shut out by wenger and the club is another stick to beat them with

Post #499155  Posted: Fri May 31, 2019 6:09 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Gunfire wrote:

This is the sort of nonsense that bedevils modern football. Klopp finished 6th in his first season and I remember his team get right hidings like being beaten 6-0 by Stoke. You've got to give him a chance.

Why is it such nonsense .... ?

Klopp took over ; got dealt some harsh lessons and transformed the side .

Emery has done the opposite ; took over ... embarked on a long unbeaten run ; then managed to totally f*%%$ up the easiest end of season run in for Champions League qualification against low level opposition who had nothing to play for .

It would suggest that the players wanted to perform for the "new broom" initially ; then either [ a ] moved into their comfort zone or [b ] got disillusioned with his tactics and fell to pieces .

So emery can take over get the same harsh lessons but not the chance to fix them. Injuries to Bellerin and holding as well as not having a fit for purpose left back wrecked our season. No manager could change this

Post #499156  Posted: Fri May 31, 2019 6:23 am 

grantyboy wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

This is plain retarded

Then why did PSG have him and are Barcelona after him,

I’d run a million miles if I was him. Why be involved with our shitshow of a club. Champagne expectations on a poverty budget and inherited a squad with 3 decent players In it and a shocking mentality and culture

Run Unai go to Barca

PSG had him and dumped him and they have far better players than Arsenal. After the Wenger shite, I have zero patience for "wait till May" when there has been no improvement. Players and the defence have become significantly worse through the season. I don't have champagne expectations at all. But I do expect a good manager to be able to improve things like shape, tactics, organisation and to at least instill some effort.

There was a point where Özil was out on the right wing in the first half and he played a short pass to AMN I think. Özil then immediately stopped and walked very slowly back into the middle of the field while AMN tried to take on 3 players alone. That guy should have never been on the pitch and Emery put him there.

Ok where do you start, i mean what would you advocate dropping Özil for Willock? We would have lost anyway and people would have slagged off Emery for dropping Özil. For what it’s worth I think Wednesday was the straw that broke the camels back for Özil. He’s moved on or a bit part player next year (more likely the latter)

I’ve watched arsenal since mid 80s and this is without a doubt the most mediocre Arsenal squad we have had in that period my opinion. There is such a dearth of talent. If you even look at the squad Rioch had there was an embarrassment of riches compared to us now. The manager can instil confidence and belief but when there is such a vast chasm in the talent between the teams let’s be honest he’s on a hiding.

He doesn’t want to play Özil, he doesn’t want to play Kolasinac (who he blatantly doesn’t trust) , he knows Laurent was shot to pieces. Wishing and using his magical powers doesn’t change these things.

Finally don’t talk to me about the nutters that own PSG, they shouldn’t be considered ambassadors of rational thinking

Post #499157  Posted: Fri May 31, 2019 7:03 am 

We seem to be being linked with a few young south americans (Brazilians, Argentinians, Uruguayans). I hope Edu has some great contacts in that part of the world because it may be our best way forward and best way out of this mess we are in even though it's risky in the sense that they often need a lot of time to settle.

Although, it must be said, with our transfer budget we need magicians not managers or Directors of Football.

Post #499158  Posted: Fri May 31, 2019 7:07 am 

TOP GUN wrote:

Ok where do you start, i mean what would you advocate dropping Özil for Willock? We would have lost anyway and people would have slagged off Emery for dropping Özil. For what it’s worth I think Wednesday was the straw that broke the camels back for Özil. He’s moved on or a bit part player next year (more likely the latter)

I’ve watched arsenal since mid 80s and this is without a doubt the most mediocre Arsenal squad we have had in that period my opinion. There is such a dearth of talent. If you even look at the squad Rioch had there was an embarrassment of riches compared to us now. The manager can instil confidence and belief but when there is such a vast chasm in the talent between the teams let’s be honest he’s on a hiding.

He doesn’t want to play Özil, he doesn’t want to play Kolasinac (who he blatantly doesn’t trust) , he knows Laurent was shot to pieces. Wishing and using his magical powers doesn’t change these things.

Finally don’t talk to me about the nutters that own PSG, they shouldn’t be considered ambassadors of rational thinking

I think Emery should have made tactical changes earlier in the CL final, put an extra body into central midfield and taken off Özil. In the early days of his tenure he would probably have changed things at halftime but he seemed a bit lost and indecisive.

Post #499159  Posted: Fri May 31, 2019 8:05 am 

socrates wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I think Emery should have made tactical changes earlier in the CL final, put an extra body into central midfield and taken off Özil. In the early days of his tenure he would probably have changed things at halftime but he seemed a bit lost and indecisive.

I thought the subs were okay ish.

It was a watershed moment for Özil. The horse has bolted. I understand why Emery would want to keep him on, highest paid player and capable when he’s in the mood of defence splitting passes. We haven’t got many like that in the squad. It’s over for him now, fans have turned on him

Post #499160  Posted: Fri May 31, 2019 8:36 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Well actually Jack Walker turned up at Blackburn and started changing English football by just buying a title. Then others went ‘well I could do that as well’. No one rung their hands and said let’s stop this nonsense. No one spoke up when the EPL effectively split from tradition and I suspect no one will speak up if they get some European super league going.
Ah, those were the days when people running proper businesses had an influence in the game, not the filthy rich of today. Actually Jack's buying of the title had many earlier precedents - my mind goes to Everton of the 60s, and there were others. As for splitting from tradition, the gravy train has many willing passengers - always will have.

[ 571790 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12476, 12477, 12478, 12479, 12480, 12481, 12482 ... 14295  Next