Fixtures Saturday April 20th - Wolves - Molineux Stadium - 7:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:05 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], warrior and 162 guests

Post #517121  Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:44 pm 

Tierney seemingly out for Man City away because a player in the Scottish national team has tested positive for covid.

Post #517122  Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:52 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Tierney seemingly out for Man City away because a player in the Scottish national team has tested positive for covid.

Who knows how much of an effect this will have over the course of the season. Liverpool losing Mané for a game against Aston Villa is one thing. Losing a top player for crucial league or European games is another.

Post #517123  Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:56 pm 

At his best Flamini was better than this list suggests.
https://www.givemesport.com/1605882-arsenal-sign-thomas-partey-ranking-every-defensive-midfielder-theyve-signed-since-vieira-left?autoplay=on

Post #517124  Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:19 pm 

dec wrote:
Hazuki wrote:

Who knows how much of an effect this will have over the course of the season. Liverpool losing Mané for a game against Aston Villa is one thing. Losing a top player for crucial league or European games is another.

Surely these international fortnights are just asking for trouble, Dec. Players joining up from different teams from all over the globe and then going back again. It's a recipe for spreading covid.

Post #517125  Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:22 pm 

socrates wrote:
dec wrote:

Surely these international fortnights are just asking for trouble, Dec. Players joining up from different teams from all over the globe and then going back again. It's a recipe for spreading covid.

Not only out of the Man City game, but the opening group stage EL match against Rapid Vienna, Oct. 22.

Post #517126  Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:23 pm 

Here is more from Kieran Tierney and Arsenal on the developing situation in the Scotland camp:

“Our medical team have confirmed that Kieran was socially distant at all times from the player who tested positive and has broken no rules regarding COVID-19 protocols. We are currently seeking further advice and clarification of the details.

Kieran has also been in touch and has said: “I’m so disappointed and frustrated to be in this situation. I have adhered to all regulations and made sure I was socially distancing from my team mates in the hotel. I’ve also tested negative. I know Arsenal and the SFA are now in discussions with the Scottish authorities to gain a further understanding.”

Post #517127  Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:27 pm 

Net spend table doesn’t really help the “Kroenke is a villain” narrative

Attachments:

Post #517128  Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:21 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

There was a big piece in The Athletic by Amy Lawrence about how Kroenke basically put up the money for Partey. Personally not fond of owners bankrolling signings, but this summer was probably the time to do it.

Post #517129  Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:05 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

There was a big piece in The Athletic by Amy Lawrence about how Kroenke basically put up the money for Partey. Personally not fond of owners bankrolling signings, but this summer was probably the time to do it.

It won’t fit in with peoples objectives to bash him but based on the AST review of our finances it doesn’t ring true that we’d spend what we have on transfers this year without some help.

If they hadn’t done something it would be very difficult to justify to Mikel they were doing what they could to support him. Also it feels like Peps last season at city and he’s bound to be a target next summer

https://www.arsenaltrust.org/feed/afc-f ... tember2020

Post #517130  Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:12 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:
Something like this happened years ago when Billy Wright chose to freeze the equally creative George Eastham out of his plans in favour of younger, more functional players. Results forced him to change his mind. At the moment Arteta has the luxury of having no such problem, but it is a long season.

You have to admit though, with Özil being completely out of the team he could've ensured a move to another club this summer if he was interested in playing. He knows he's probably not going to play at all this season but chose to stay anyway. People are asking why he would move when it would in all likelihood mean a drop in wages, and my answer to that would be to play football. He's a professional footballer after all, and if he cares as little about playing as it seems, then I'd question whether his mentality is right for a team trying to get back into the Champions League and eventually compete for big trophies.

So if it was you, the decision would be to move anywhere to get a game. You would not considerCOVID, the dangers in relocating and leaving behind a reasonable safe comfortable country. You can keep beating him over the head but the club could have paid out his contract. Simple solution.

Post #517131  Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:21 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
So if it was you, the decision would be to move anywhere to get a game. You would not considerCOVID, the dangers in relocating and leaving behind a reasonable safe comfortable country. You can keep beating him over the head but the club could have paid out his contract. Simple solution.

No reason why moving would be dangerous if the necessary precautions are taken, that's why clubs are allowed to sign players.

As for paying out his contract, not sure if you've followed the news this summer but we've been struggling for cash a bit...

Post #517132  Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:24 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Hazuki wrote:

It won’t fit in with peoples objectives to bash him but based on the AST review of our finances it doesn’t ring true that we’d spend what we have on transfers this year without some help.

If they hadn’t done something it would be very difficult to justify to Mikel they were doing what they could to support him. Also it feels like Peps last season at city and he’s bound to be a target next summer

Doesn’t bother me if Arsenal are now financially doped with a multi-billionaire owner. Does it bother anyone? If it does, my guess would be Decaf. But like Hazuki (apologies in advance if I misunderstood his post 517126), I would hope he’ll find reasons for it.

Post #517133  Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:06 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Zed wrote:
But, he should not be shot down for saving anyone's job.

He didn't save anyone's job though. And there's nothing stopping him from paying this guys wages without making a hashtag of it.

Hazuki, he kept him off going on furlough. That's saving the job he had and still has since 1993.

Post #517134  Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:18 pm 

Nothing like a bit $5B PR a Al Kroenke.....sorry can't help it.

SoFi Stadium cost more than $5 billion of private money to complete — a staggering total that's difficult to put into perspective. If Rams owner Stan Kroenke gave $15 to every citizen in the United States, it still wouldn't quite add up to the amount he shelled out for SoFi Stadium.

Post #517135  Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:48 am 

Hazuki wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

No reason why moving would be dangerous if the necessary precautions are taken, that's why clubs are allowed to sign players.

As for paying out his contract, not sure if you've followed the news this summer but we've been struggling for cash a bit...

First of all there are numerous countries where I certainly would not relocate to because they are not handling the crisis well or they cannot provide adequate health care if you do get it.

So you would rather pay him and have him in the background than just moving on. It’s like a divorce - pay them out and move on. Of course you run the risk they will go somewhere else and may be successful. Or as we are you just see out the contract.

Post #517136  Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:17 am 

Özil excluded from Arsenal’s Europa League squad. We all must have realised that was going to happen.

Post #517137  Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:47 am 

Bernard wrote:
Özil excluded from Arsenal’s Europa League squad. We all must have realised that was going to happen.

Amy Lawrence says the premier league to follow. Not sure how that works.

Post #517138  Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:02 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Didn’t Rich say that following the transfer window we now have two more players than are allowed for the Premier League squad? Is so, I’m expecting the same two players to lose their places in the Premier League squad.

Post #517139  Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:09 am 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Didn’t Rich say that following the transfer window we now have two more players than are allowed for the Premier League squad? Is so, I’m expecting the same two players to lose their places in the Premier League squad.

Who was the other player ? Sokratis ?

Post #517140  Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:50 am 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I’d have to double check again following the late moves. I think I read we needed to remove 3 to add 1. And signed runarsson and partey and only got rid of Guendouzi and torreira so it still leaves two not to be registered. Not being registered for europa is one thing but also not being registered for the league is huge

Post #517141  Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:55 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Yes, Özil and Sokratis.

Post #517142  Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:01 am 

Rich wrote:
I’d have to double check again following the late moves. I think I read we needed to remove 3 to add 1. And signed runarsson and partey and only got rid of Guendouzi and torreira so it still leaves two not to be registered. Not being registered for europa is one thing but also not being registered for the league is huge

Yes, we have 19 non-homegrown, non-U21 players, and can only register 17. Guendouzi still counts as U21 but loaning out Torreira freed up a spot. Not sure why Sokratis didn't push more to get a move, he must've known he was at risk of not being registered?

Post #517143  Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:02 am 

Hazuki wrote:
Disagree completely. There's certainly a big part missing with no crowds, but the intensity of the actual games are the same as ever. Most players don't seem to have any problem caring about actually playing and giving their best to win, so I don't see why Özil should get a pass from this.
Let us have different opinions on fake football. On Özil, Arteta has chosen to leave him completely idle on match days, not the other way around. That is his preogative, but with it goes the responsibility for not playing a highly salaried and very creative player. The club seem happy enough to back the manager on this, so fair enough. What I find silly is some fans blaming Özil for not doing what they want him to do - leave before his contract is up. Özil is being lambasted for his high earnings, but when he signed his last contract he was the nearest thing we had to a galactico. Shortly after his deal the club sealed lucrative sponsorships, his shirts sold in immense numbers around the world and his social media presence is in big numbers. Make no mistake Arsenal have done very well out of Özil the brand.

Post #517144  Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:14 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
On Özil, Arteta has chosen to leave him completely idle on match days, not the other way around. That is his preogative, but with it goes the responsibility for not playing a highly salaried and very creative player. The club seem happy enough to back the manager on this, so fair enough. What I find silly is some fans blaming Özil for not doing what they want him to do - leave before his contract is up.

I'm not one of those who begrudge him his high wages - at the time he signed the contract he'd earned it as far as I'm concerned. The point I'm making is that his willingness to just sit out his contract - and at this point there's no doubt he knows he won't get picked for games - is a huge indication to me that Arteta is making the right call, because it's indicative of a mentality we don't need in the squad we're trying to build.

We need players who are prepared to fight and give their all for Arsenal to be successful, not players who are content with just collecting their wages. The fact that Özil didn't push for a move knowing he's not in the manager's plans puts him in the latter category in my opinion.

Post #517145  Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:32 am 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Yes, Özil and Sokratis.

Makes sense

450k a week being paid to players who will never play. That’s a major new signing every year.

Post #517146  Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:25 am 

I’ve seen lots of Özil arguments on various platforms, but the fundamental thing for me is he’s really quite simply not been any good when he’s been picked and his style doesn’t suit the current manager’s tactics and formation.
You would assume there has been ample opportunity for him to adapt to Arteta’s plans and tactics and he hasn’t done enough to be considered.
Of course we know virtually zero of what happens on the training ground but we see what happens on matchday and it is clear that Özil doesn’t fit the profile of an Arteta player

Post #517147  Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:38 pm 

Rich wrote:
I’ve seen lots of Özil arguments on various platforms, but the fundamental thing for me is he’s really quite simply not been any good when he’s been picked and his style doesn’t suit the current manager’s tactics and formation.
You would assume there has been ample opportunity for him to adapt to Arteta’s plans and tactics and he hasn’t done enough to be considered.
Of course we know virtually zero of what happens on the training ground but we see what happens on matchday and it is clear that Özil doesn’t fit the profile of an Arteta player

Özil has talent, skills, technique and can be made fit. So the only piece.missing is mentality of some kind of protest. Maybe hes giving a big FU to someone at the club but I think he's just a mental weakling who has given up.

Post #517148  Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:06 pm 

Saka starts, first of many many caps hopefully. England v Wales friendly ko 8pm on ITV tonight.
:53big-emoticons:

Post #517149  Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:49 pm 

So. Fans back at the Emirates. Well, sort of.

https://www.skysports.com/share/12099410

Post #517150  Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:17 pm 

socrates wrote:
dec wrote:

I agree Soc. Let's hope he (and Mané, who is admirable) recover soon and fully.

Post #517151  Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:23 pm 

grantyboy wrote:
Rich wrote:

Özil has talent, skills, technique and can be made fit. So the only piece.missing is mentality of some kind of protest. Maybe hes giving a big FU to someone at the club but I think he's just a mental weakling who has given up.

I think that is harsh. My take on Özil is that he is just past his best. He seems to have lost that verve and vision, whether he was playing for Germany or us. I'm not sure what it is specifically, and I imagine a lot of it is mental. But I really doubt that it is solely a matter of motivation and character.

Post #517152  Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:43 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Doesn’t bother me if Arsenal are now financially doped with a multi-billionaire owner. Does it bother anyone? If it does, my guess would be Decaf. But like Hazuki (apologies in advance if I misunderstood his post 517126), I would hope he’ll find reasons for it.

I'm very happy with the Partey signing and, if Kroenke uncorked, with that too. Does that make us financially doped? I suppose it would depend on the details.

In fact, if you go back a couple of weeks you'll see I was contesting the anti-Kroenke narrative. Firstly, clearly Arteta has been getting support from the club, and what more would you want from an owner? Chest beating avowals of support or 100% attendance I can do without. Silent Stan is fine by me. Secondly, is there any suggestion that his wealth is ill-gotten?

Post #517153  Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:58 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
Hazuki wrote:
You have to admit though, with Özil being completely out of the team he could've ensured a move to another club this summer if he was interested in playing. He knows he's probably not going to play at all this season but chose to stay anyway. People are asking why he would move when it would in all likelihood mean a drop in wages, and my answer to that would be to play football. He's a professional footballer after all, and if he cares as little about playing as it seems, then I'd question whether his mentality is right for a team trying to get back into the Champions League and eventually compete for big trophies.
I can see the argument, though with football having been rendered so fake by Covid, how much is he really missing by not playing right now? Let's be honest this is not football as we know it - without the crowds it is a computer game. In the extremely unlikely situation that I had to choose to uproot myself to play this fake football for less money I might just wait and see how things develop.

Speaking for myself--I am really enjoying this season. I think it is because football -- even like this-- feels so normal and right. Springtime means erythrinas blooming, pottering around in the garden, tons of marking, and football on the telly/radio, mostly (admittedly) in the background.

Plus we don't see totally hopeless this season.

Post #517154  Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:08 pm 

Decaf wrote:
grantyboy wrote:

I think that is harsh. My take on Özil is that he is just past his best. He seems to have lost that verve and vision, whether he was playing for Germany or us. I'm not sure what it is specifically, and I imagine a lot of it is mental. But I really doubt that it is solely a matter of motivation and character.

Sounds like you're agreeing with me that the problem is mental. Motivation comes into that as well because in his situation it has to be his self motivation to want to do something. So his motivation to play is gone but he prefers to keep getting paid massive wages with no intention of improving or actually doing what's required. That's called a bludger and is 100% aligned with character.

Lastly, if he has legitimate mental health issues then that's a different issue and if so I take my mental weakling comments back.

Post #517155  Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:37 am 

grantyboy wrote:
Decaf wrote:

Sounds like you're agreeing with me that the problem is mental. Motivation comes into that as well because in his situation it has to be his self motivation to want to do something. So his motivation to play is gone but he prefers to keep getting paid massive wages with no intention of improving or actually doing what's required. That's called a bludger and is 100% aligned with character.

Lastly, if he has legitimate mental health issues then that's a different issue and if so I take my mental weakling comments back.

Özil needs a manager like Wenger who'd indulge him, make him the focal point of the team. I think the club would still tolerate him and he'd be part of the squad if some of his off-field activities hadn't rubbed management the wrong way. For example his statement on China's treatment of Uighurs, his refusal to take a pay cut and probably his friendship with Erdogan... the unfortunate event where he and Kola got robbed and subsequent death threats didn't help either.

Post #517156  Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:06 am 

Goonie wrote:
Özil needs a manager like Wenger who'd indulge him, make him the focal point of the team. I think the club would still tolerate him and he'd be part of the squad if some of his off-field activities hadn't rubbed management the wrong way. For example his statement on China's treatment of Uighurs, his refusal to take a pay cut and probably his friendship with Erdogan... the unfortunate event where he and Kola got robbed and subsequent death threats didn't help either.

If Arteta wanted Özil in the team, he’d have the freedom to select him. I’m sure of that. Özil’s comments about the Chinese issue were made in December. Arteta continued playing him until the lockdown stopped football in March, nearly three months later. The other things you mention I just don’t see as relevant as you. As I said, if Arteta wanted Özil in the team I honestly think he’d be able to select him.

I reckon the freezing out of Özil has far more to do with his poor form when Arteta was putting him in the team, and Özil not fitting in with the way Arteta wants the team to play. Pressing the opposition when they have the ball. That just isn’t Özil’s game.

Post #517157  Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:49 am 

Bernard wrote:
...I reckon the freezing out of Özil has far more to do with his poor form when Arteta was putting him in the team, and Özil has not fitting in with the way Arteta wants the team to play. Pressing the opposition when they have the ball. That just isn’t Özil’s game.
Yes, not fitting the manager's way of playing has to be the reason Özil is in deep freeze - nothing to do with his ability, relationships with the team or mental weakness. Reminds me a lot of Bertie Mee deciding George Eastham's days were over back in 1966. George was nowhere near finished as a player, as his subsequent time at Stoke City proved - the manager simply wanted a different type of footballer. When Özil leaves us it wouldn't surprise me to see him have a productive end to his career at another club. Arteta may have no use for him, but other managers will find a way to take advantage of his sublime skills.

Post #517158  Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:55 am 

Bernard wrote:
Goonie wrote:

If Arteta wanted Özil in the team, he’d have the freedom to select him. I’m sure of that. Özil’s comments about the Chinese issue were made in December. Arteta continued playing him until the lockdown stopped football in March, nearly three months later. The other things you mention I just don’t see as relevant as you. As I said, if Arteta wanted Özil in the team I honestly think he’d be able to select him.

I reckon the freezing out of Özil has far more to do with his poor form when Arteta was putting him in the team, and Özil not fitting in with the way Arteta wants the team to play. Pressing the opposition when they have the ball. That just isn’t Özil’s game.

Özil not starting games is for footballing reasons, I agree. But Özil not even in the 25-man squad is power play at work.

Post #517159  Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:00 am 

Decaf wrote:
socrates wrote:

I agree Soc. Let's hope he (and Mané, who is admirable) recover soon and fully.

Tierney has nothing to recover from. He has tested negative three times. Amazingly he is also shown to have antibodies (we could all do with some of those).

He has to isolate because he was near someone who did test positive. He/Arsenal dispute that it was close/long enough to be pertinent.

Post #517160  Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:15 am 

Goonie wrote:
For example his statement on China's treatment of Uighurs,

For that alone I'll remember Özil fondly.

[ 571644 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12926, 12927, 12928, 12929, 12930, 12931, 12932 ... 14292  Next