Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:16 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Googlebot and 100 guests

Post #506121  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:44 am 

Rich wrote:
Seems to be a big list of potential managers:
Arteta, Allegri, Rodgers, ancelloti, nuno espirito, nagelsmann, pochettino, Vieira, ljungberg

What is the forum’s top 3

Pochettino, Rodgers and Vieira in order (however I think we have no chance with the first 2 )

Another new one being strongly linked today is Marcelino which would be fundamentally uninspiring

Post #506122  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:56 am 

Rich wrote:
Arteta, Allegri, Rodgers, ancelloti, nuno espirito, nagelsmann, pochettino, Vieira, ljungberg

Rodgers won't leave. Ngelsmann has only just started at Leipzig. Allegri can't speak English. On that list I'd go for Arteta. He's a risk but at least it would be some kind of statement as to where we are going. We never went for the flashy big name manager and tend to get managers from left field. Although he is not unknown he still would be an appointment with some pizazz.

Post #506123  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:15 am 

Decaf wrote:
If Freds a better manager than he was a player we'll win the league.

No chance.

Post #506124  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:24 am 

Gunfire wrote:
Rodgers won't leave.

Having been told what Rodgers said when asked about the job, I think he would take it. The rumours are buying him out of his Leicester contract would cost £14m. In modern Premier League football that is peanuts. Worth every single penny.

Post #506125  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:34 am 

Rich wrote:

You’d think some younger players might get more consistent chances. Nelson and Willock could get more chances, and surely Pépé will start

Was thinking that as well. I want to see what a front six made of Martinelli, Saka, Nelson, Emile Smith Rowe, Willock and AMN can do - in the FA Cup perhaps?

Post #506126  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:38 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Decaf wrote:
If Freds a better manager than he was a player we'll win the league.

I thought he can only work for 3 months as he has no certificates.

I wasn't being literal. My point (in response to Bernard) was that Ljungberg was an excellent player so if he's an even better manager he would be quite something.

Post #506127  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:43 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Rich wrote:

Pochettino, Rodgers and Vieira in order (however I think we have no chance with the first 2 )

Another new one being strongly linked today is Marcelino which would be fundamentally uninspiring

Definitely not Vieira. The chances of it not working out are too high and imagine how unpleasant that would be.

Poaching Rodgers for Leicester would be pretty ugly in my view.

Obviously if we got either I would be behind them 100%.

Post #506128  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:52 am 

Bernard wrote:
Gunfire wrote:
Rodgers won't leave.

Having been told what Rodgers said when asked about the job, I think he would take it. The rumours are buying him out of his Leicester contract would cost £14m. In modern Premier League football that is peanuts. Worth every single penny.

I don’t think HIM buying out the contract for 14 million would make financial sense. He would get the 6m per year Emery was getting which is 1m more than he’s on at Leicester but he wouldn’t get longer than a 3 year deal. Why would he do that ?

Arsenal paying Leicester the 14 million makes more sense but it would probably make him the least attractive financial option for Kroenke considering he’s just paid 10 million to pay off Emery and all his staff.

I think this pretty much rules out Brendon Rodgers and I strongly expect our next manager to be someone who is currently out of work

Post #506129  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:07 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
dec wrote:
Christ on a bike! You're still blaming Aubameyang for our current predicament. Best striker in the league last season. I suppose you didn't rate Bergkamp or Brady either....

Just pointing out a very simple fact. He would have achieved his target. So on such fine margins things are decided. No I don't like Emery's style or non-style of play but I also don't like the way our players seem to be immune from criticism. They are part of the problem at the club. I don't blame Aubameyang for our poor play or lack of tactics but I blame him for failure to get to the CL and always will.

The really bad thing about Aubs miss was that we would have been in CL (where we probably couldn't have crawled out of the group stages) but Spurs would have been in the Europa League this season and therefore less cashed up.

That is a very strange way of looking at it. I don't see fine margins at all. Without Aubameyang's 22 goals we would have been lucky to get into the Europa League, let alone almost stumble into the CL. We were appallingly poor at the end of last season and it wasn't his fault.

Post #506130  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:08 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:

I don’t think HIM buying out the contract for 14 million would make financial sense. He would get the 6m per year Emery was getting which is 1m more than he’s on at Leicester but he wouldn’t get longer than a 3 year deal. Why would he do that ?

Arsenal paying Leicester the 14 million makes more sense but it would probably make him the least attractive financial option for Kroenke considering he’s just paid 10 million to pay off Emery and all his staff.

I think this pretty much rules out Brendon Rodgers and I strongly expect our next manager to be someone who is currently out of work

I wasn’t talking of Rodgers himself buying out his contract at Leicester. I was talking of Arsenal doing it. You may well be right that the new manager will be someone out of work. But if that is the case, who is there apart from Pochettino and Allegri?

Post #506131  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:13 am 

Decaf wrote:
I wasn't being literal. My point (in response to Bernard) was that Ljungberg was an excellent player so if he's an even better manager he would be quite something.

But he wasn’t.

Post #506132  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:20 am 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I wasn’t talking of Rodgers himself buying out his contract at Leicester. I was talking of Arsenal doing it. You may well be right that the new manager will be someone out of work. But if that is the case, who is there apart from Pochettino and Allegri?

Marcelino as the sun are saying? Arteta ?

Nuno has a contract but is only on 3 million a year. That should be more affordable in terms of compensation you would have to pay. Vieira can’t be on a huge contract at nice you would have thought. The problem with Rogers is that Leicester paid Celtic 9 million in compensation to get him so had to put subsequent contractual clauses in place.

Could we afford Allegri ? We only paid Emery 6 million a year, that’s not a huge wage and he could probably make more waiting for a better offer.

Post #506133  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:28 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Nuno has a contract but is only on 3 million a year. That should be more affordable in terms of compensation you would have to pay. Vieira can’t be on a huge contract at nice you would have thought. The problem with Rogers is that Leicester paid Celtic 9 million in compensation to get him so had to put subsequent contractual clauses in place.

Could we afford Allegri ? We only paid Emery 6 million a year, that’s not a huge wage and he could probably make more waiting for a better offer.

Arteta isn’t out of work. I think we could afford Rodgers and Allegri.

Post #506134  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:35 am 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Arteta isn’t out of work. I think we could afford Rodgers and Allegri.

Artetas a coach though and you wouldn’t have to pay huge compensation to get him though. Guardiola said previously they would just let him go.

Rodgers salary is affordable but Allegri was getting linked with Munich and united jobs. Guardiola was on over 10 million a year at Bayern on that basis isn’t Allegri better waiting for a better offer from a champions league club because currently we pay a little over half that. I suppose it comes down to how much we want the said person but I’m expecting someone like Nuno, Marcelino or Arteta to turn up.

Post #506135  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:36 am 

Just a quick one.

I've got loads of Arsenal books scanned up on flickr but they're to likely vanish soon because flickr have been mucking me around so if there's anything you want to copy from there please do it sooner rather than later.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/99068843@ ... 3367979714

On the subject of Arsenal history I've a very small part in this site which is absolutely amazing http://thearsenalcollection.org.uk/

Post #506136  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:30 am 

Hmnnn the criminal justice system might need a complete overhaul.

Post #506137  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:53 pm 

Mertesacker confirmed will be in dugout tomorrow. Going to be helping Ljungberg in the interim period

Post #506138  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:55 pm 

Decaf wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
Just pointing out a very simple fact. He would have achieved his target. So on such fine margins things are decided. No I don't like Emery's style or non-style of play but I also don't like the way our players seem to be immune from criticism. They are part of the problem at the club. I don't blame Aubameyang for our poor play or lack of tactics but I blame him for failure to get to the CL and always will.

The really bad thing about Aubs miss was that we would have been in CL (where we probably couldn't have crawled out of the group stages) but Spurs would have been in the Europa League this season and therefore less cashed up.

That is a very strange way of looking at it. I don't see fine margins at all. Without Aubameyang's 22 goals we would have been lucky to get into the Europa League, let alone almost stumble into the CL. We were appallingly poor at the end of last season and it wasn't his fault.

Winning away to spurs is tough, very tough. Beating Brighton at home should not have been tough. If we want to pinpoint one game where we lost top 4, that was it.

Post #506139  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:56 pm 

Rich wrote:
Mertesacker confirmed will be in dugout tomorrow. Going to be helping Ljungberg in the interim period

It’s on Sky Sports.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news ... head-coach

Post #506140  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:58 pm 

Interesting. Some of these echoed on here. Some not.
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/arsenal-mu ... 50235.html

Post #506141  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:12 pm 

Rich wrote:

Apparently Ljungberg was looking for an experienced head, someone with an indepth knowledge of the game, someone with organisational and leadership qualities and someone who was an outstanding player for the club.

However, he couldn't find anyone so he went for Mertesacker instead.

Post #506142  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:41 pm 

Rich wrote:

AG top choice :42laughter:

Post #506143  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:46 pm 

Rich wrote:

Or maybe there is more to it? Is he a qualified coach?

Post #506144  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:56 pm 

socrates wrote:
Rich wrote:

Apparently Ljungberg was looking for an experienced head, someone with an indepth knowledge of the game, someone with organisational and leadership qualities and someone who was an outstanding player for the club.

:laughing7: :laughing7: Clichy not available?

Post #506145  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:31 pm 

socrates wrote:
Rich wrote:

But Mertesacker meets every single one of the qualities you list. It’s stupid to deny it.

Post #506146  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:35 pm 

The Express, Mirror and Star all name Rodgers as Arsenal’s top target while the Mail claim Rodgers is one of a number of targets.

Post #506147  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:51 pm 

Bernard wrote:
socrates wrote:

But Mertesacker meets every single one of the qualities you list. It’s stupid to deny it.

I just get the feeling that Per and Freddie are very decent coaches. Am fascinated to see how this plays out. I am more excited by tomorrow’s game than I have been for a very long time. Something just feels right about this, based on absolutely nothing tangible. I would love this to be a success. However you feel about the two as players they are real Arsenal men who both absolutely got what it meant to play for Arsenal.

Post #506148  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:58 pm 

Looks like Mourinho has a lot of work to do. Have they almost failed to keep a lead in every game they've played so far?

Post #506149  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:01 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
Looks like Mourinho has a lot of work to do. Have they almost failed to keep a lead in every game they've played so far?

I hope so, but I'd still back them to finish ahead of us at this point in time. I did think about Bielsa a few weeks back, if he'd leave Leeds, which I'm not sure we could achieve, he'd be my first choice I think. Gets his teams playing with intensity.

Post #506150  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:11 pm 

bubblechris wrote:

Under Mourinho they keep winning though. I’m glad West Ham won at Chelsea. With Ljungberg and Mertesacker now at the helm instead of Emery, I think we still have a realistic chance of getting a top four place.

Post #506151  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:16 pm 

I hope they give Freddie a chance to prove himself. I woud love us to become a tea that promotes from within as much as possible at leas let's do it till another Klopp or Guardiola come along.

Post #506152  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:35 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
I hope they give Freddie a chance to prove himself. I woud love us to become a tea that promotes from within as much as possible at leas let's do it till another Klopp or Guardiola come along.

I can see Guardiola not being at City next season. He’s failed to get over the loss of Kompany. Might Arteta stay at City in the hope he will take over from Guardiola?

Post #506153  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:51 pm 

It's not impossible but we coud be 5th tomorrow.

First time in years I've been confident and expect it to happen...................

We've got our Arsenal back :21encouragement: :22encouragement: :53big-emoticons:

Post #506154  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:12 pm 

Bernard wrote:
socrates wrote:

Not as stupid as your anti-Ljungberg bias.

Post #506155  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:16 pm 

Bernard wrote:
bubblechris wrote:

I can see Guardiola not being at City next season. He’s failed to get over the loss of Kompany. Might Arteta stay at City in the hope he will take over from Guardiola?

Laporte is a huge loss and it has been glossed over to a large degree. He's a very good defender. Can you imagine the wailing if VVD was out injured for any length of time?

Post #506156  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:20 pm 

Darren wrote:
Bernard wrote:

I just get the feeling that Per and Freddie are very decent coaches. Am fascinated to see how this plays out. I am more excited by tomorrow’s game than I have been for a very long time. Something just feels right about this, based on absolutely nothing tangible. I would love this to be a success. However you feel about the two as players they are real Arsenal men who both absolutely got what it meant to play for Arsenal.

I feel exactly the same way, Darren. Those two guys definitely know what it means to be Arsenal. It's so nice to have a bit of a buzz about watching an Arsenal match again. I find football increasingly boring these days and I've no idea why I devote so much of my time to it. Maybe Freddie and Per will change things.

Post #506157  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:45 pm 

Decaf wrote:
Bernard wrote:

But I’m not anti-Ljungberg at all. I consider him an Arsenal legend. I’m just prepared to accept he was grossly overrated as a player. It seems you’re not. That’s your problem, not mine.

Post #506158  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:20 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Harsh of Emery who seemed a nice guy but I can’t recall a manager more out of his depth.

He will now likely manage a mid table Spanish side or go back to starring in the Hotel Transylvania movies

FFS - it just didn't work at our club. In the right location he is a good manager. There was no 8-2 loses or even 6-1.

Entertainment expectation levels must be pretty damn low in Townsville .....

" he is a good manager " ..... what ...just because he avoided 8 -2 and 6 - 1 losses " :icon_scratch:

He was abysmal , worst Arsenal manager ever , set out to play an awful slow build up
style of football , then didn't have the brains to coach something else when it failed week and week out .

" The right location for his skills " ....

Hmmm let's see here ... would have to be Spanish speaking .... ahhmmm.. [ sounds of tuneless whistling ]

Nailed it .... Easter Island Under 7's

Post #506159  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:22 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Decaf wrote:

But I’m not anti-Ljungberg at all. I consider him an Arsenal legend. I’m just prepared to accept he was grossly overrated as a player. It seems you’re not. That’s your problem, not mine.

I disagree he was a superb player,

He scored critical match winning goals and never shirked. I always loved watching him play. I think the reason he got less acclaim was the quality of the team he was in which was sensational. Scored a winner and is one of only 16 players who have scored hat tricks in the league for us since the start of the premier league

Ramsey or Ljungberg ? Don’t make me laugh. If he was around now our whole team would be built around him.

Post #506160  Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:23 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
FFS - it just didn't work at our club. In the right location he is a good manager. There was no 8-2 loses or even 6-1.

Entertainment expectation levels must be pretty damn low in Townsville .....

" he is a good manager " ..... what ...just because he avoided 8 -2 and 6 - 1 losses " :icon_scratch:

He was abysmal , worst Arsenal manager ever , set out to play an awful slow build up
style of football , then didn't have the brains to coach something else when it failed week and week out .

" The right location for his skill [ sounds of tuneless whistling ]

Nailed it .... Easter Island Under 7's

:1laughter:

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12651, 12652, 12653, 12654, 12655, 12656, 12657 ... 14269  Next