Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:02 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 92 guests

Post #514761  Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:47 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
We haven’t missed Guendouzi one iota since he’s been taken out the fold. Not sure why would contemplate re signing him. Arteta sounds like he can’t wait to see the back of him.

If Guendouzi can sort his head out he could be a fantastic player. He will be a player for another thirteen or fourteen years. I very much doubt Arteta will be Arsenal’s manager for anything like that long.

At the very least we should have a clause to get a significant proportion of the transfer fee when his next club sells him, in case Arteta is still at Arsenal when that happens.

Post #514762  Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:09 am 

Wayne Fontana, British singer who topped US charts with Game of Love, dies aged 74

https://www.msn.com/en-au/entertainment ... r-BB17H9w3

Post #514763  Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:55 am 

Vinnie Jones never played for us, in fact for our rivals. So I wonder if it must be the writers that made him say this?

Post #514764  Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:52 am 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
We haven’t missed Guendouzi one iota since he’s been taken out the fold. Not sure why would contemplate re signing him. Arteta sounds like he can’t wait to see the back of him.

If Guendouzi can sort his head out he could be a fantastic player. He will be a player for another thirteen or fourteen years. I very much doubt Arteta will be Arsenal’s manager for anything like that long.

At the very least we should have a clause to get a significant proportion of the transfer fee when his next club sells him, in case Arteta is still at Arsenal when that happens.

Would you agree we looked far better and more balanced after he was removed from the fold ?

Post #514765  Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:20 am 

Bernard wrote:

Bernard: If you could keep Guendouzi OR Arteta who would you choose?

Post #514766  Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:28 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Would you agree we looked far better and more balanced after he was removed from the fold ?

I think we would have been better with him in the team. There were a number of disappointing performances towards the end of the season, as well as some decent ones.

Post #514767  Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:30 am 

Bored wrote:
Bernard wrote:

With Kroenke as the owner it probably doesn’t matter. To have a different owner I would give up both Arteta and Guendouzi.

Post #514768  Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:28 am 

Bernard wrote:
Bored wrote:

With Kroenke as the owner it probably doesn’t matter. To have a different owner I would give up both Arteta and Guendouzi.

I understand your point, however given Kroenke isn't going any where which you would prefer to keep, Arteta or Guendouzi? Personally I'd prefer to keep Arteta.

Post #514769  Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:07 pm 

Bored wrote:
Bernard wrote:

I understand your point, however given Kroenke isn't going any where which you would prefer to keep, Arteta or Guendouzi? Personally I'd prefer to keep Arteta.

For as long as Kroenke is the owner, I don’t think it matters much who plays for us or who the head coach is.

I can’t recall if it was the last Gooner podcast I did or the one before that. But there were four of us there. Me, the then editor Kevin Whitcher and two other contributors. It wasn’t featured on the podcast itself, but the four of us debated a hypothetical question while we had a Chinese takeaway for dinner, so before the podcast was recorded for broadcast.

The question we debated was if the only way of getting Stan to sell the club was for Arsenal to get relegated to the Championship, would we take that? It was 50/50, or to be literal in case John reads this, 2/2. Depending on whoever bought the club being a good owner (everyone presumably has their own definition for that) and us coming straight back up next season, me and Kevin Witcher said we’d accept relegation. The other two didn’t; they want Kroenke out, but unlike me and Kevin weren’t willing to see Arsenal lose its record of being in the top division for over a hundred years.

As I’ve said a few times Bored, I try to avoid the forum debates about what players they want bought or sold, or who they want as the head coach. I don’t always succeed avoiding them, but I try to. Compared to who the owner is, I see them as verging on being a meaningless waste of time and effort. That’s why I was determined to make the most of last weekend’s cup final win, despite not having the chance of actually being there. Because I will be very surprised if under Kroenke we see too many more of them.

Post #514770  Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:26 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I think we would have been better with him in the team. There were a number of disappointing performances towards the end of the season, as well as some decent ones.

Who would you have dropped to accommodate him ? Xhaka ? Ceballos

Post #514771  Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:44 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Torreira against Villa. Xhaka in some games. I wish I hadn’t bothered answering you because you seem to be happy to waste time and effort debating meaningless nonsense about player x or player b. While Stan is the owner, I have difficulty in seeing it as anything other than pointless.

My own view, and that’s all it is - a view and my own - is that it’s largely insignificant while Kroenke is the owner. I’m determined to try and be more disciplined in future and, while KSE owns Arsenal, avoid claptrap about Guendouzi or anyone else. If you find it entertaining or that it passes your time, keep going.

Post #514772  Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:31 pm 

Superb win for England in the Test Match. Great innings by Buttler, and in particular Woakes :53big-emoticons:

Post #514773  Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:35 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Torreira against Villa. Xhaka in some games. I wish I hadn’t bothered answering you because you seem to be happy to waste time and effort debating meaningless nonsense about player x or player b. While Stan is the owner, I have difficulty in seeing it as anything other than pointless.

My own view, and that’s all it is - a view and my own - is that it’s largely insignificant while Kroenke is the owner. I’m determined to try and be more disciplined in future and, while KSE owns Arsenal, avoid claptrap about Guendouzi or anyone else. If you find it entertaining or that it passes your time, keep going.

You can blame Kroenke all you want and I don’t think he’s a great owner but he’s made 2 mistakes, arsenal Fans won’t admit it but far more damaging than any of his influence was that as fans we stood by and watched Wenger run the club adrift and we are still paying for those consequences. He couldn’t sack Wenger whilst 50 percent of our fans still worshipped him.

In October 2008 after that spurs debacle I knew Wenger was finished yet mention it on here and I’d get an earful. A decade later with no tactic changes, coaching changes or anything just anything people finally finally twigged. Years and years it took. It was too late, Now the 2 new managers since are screwed with no champions league football, no money, few sellable assets in their squads and a huge wage bill.

The persons responsible for our transfers the summer of 2016 when we sold rosicky and Jack Wilshere and spent 100 million on Perez, Xhaka and Mustafi did more damage than Kroenke ever could.

Btw wanting us to get relegated is totally nuts !, the next owner is liable to be an even bigger nutter in this day and age.

Post #514774  Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:45 pm 

Presumably Kroenke wasn't at the cup final because Americans are banned from entering possibly as well as limited and likely specific people allowed. Although I would assume club owner would be one of them. However, assuming he wasn't there (I don't recall seeing him or hearing he was there but I am not 100 percent sure), would have come? Was he there for all cup finals as owner?

Post #514775  Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:19 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:

You can blame Kroenke all you want and I don’t think he’s a great owner but he’s made 2 mistakes, arsenal Fans won’t admit it but far more damaging than any of his influence was that as fans we stood by and watched Wenger run the club adrift and we are still paying for those consequences. He couldn’t sack Wenger whilst 50 percent of our fans still worshipped him.

In October 2008 after that spurs debacle I knew Wenger was finished yet mention it on here and I’d get an earful. A decade later with no tactic changes, coaching changes or anything just anything people finally finally twigged. Years and years it took. It was too late, Now the 2 new managers since are screwed with no champions league football, no money, few sellable assets in their squads and a huge wage bill.

The persons responsible for our transfers the summer of 2016 when we sold rosicky and Jack Wilshere and spent 100 million on Perez, Xhaka and Mustafi did more damage than Kroenke ever could.

Btw wanting us to get relegated is totally nuts !, the next owner is liable to be an even bigger nutter in this day and age.

Back in August 2011 this wasn't so pretty either.

Attachments:

Post #514776  Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:23 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

The provisos about who the new owner would be and going straight back up was made, I thought. If it was the only way of getting him to sell, I’m not sure it is nuts. You say Kroenke has only made two mistakes. Not sacking Wenger earlier was one. What’s your other?

For me keeping Wenger in post so long was symptomatic of his ownership philosophy. A lack of ambition to win trophies. The club no longer has that ambition. Wenger matched it as the game had outgrown him, as it does with practically all managers. We’re seeing it with Mourinho too. I’m expecting it to with Klopp and Guardiola also, however long it takes. The game moves on from what once made managers great. Wenger was great in his day.

As soon as Arteta makes a name for himself and he gets an offer to join a club offering the chance to achieve more, I can see him going. Moreover I won’t blame him. For me who the head coach is and who plays for us isn’t the main issue. Kroenke’s ownership is.

Post #514777  Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:37 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

The provisos about who the new owner would be and going straight back up was made, I thought. If it was the only way of getting him to sell, I’m not sure it is nuts. You say Kroenke has only made two mistakes. Not sacking Wenger earlier was one. What’s your other?

For me keeping Wenger in post so long was symptomatic of his ownership philosophy. A lack of ambition to win trophies. The club no longer has that ambition. Wenger matched it as the game had outgrown him, as it does with practically all managers. We’re seeing it with Mourinho too. I’m expecting it to with Klopp and Guardiola also, however long it takes. The game moves on from what once made managers great. Wenger was great in his day.

is.

For me the 2 Kroenke mistakes are not sacking Wenger quick enough although 50% of our fans still wanted him even at the end almost and an owner cant act under that circumstance. The second is appointing Emery who was the wrong guy. Even Emery though had to deal with Arsenes cloud looming over the club and wasn’t allowed to sign Zaha with the board preferring Pépé.

Post #514778  Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:45 pm 

Zed wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Back in August 2011 this wasn't so pretty either.

Yes at this point it was totally evident we were done, incredible to think it rolled on for years after this.

Post #514779  Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:20 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
For me the 2 Kroenke mistakes are not sacking Wenger quick enough although 50% of our fans still wanted him even at the end almost and an owner cant act under that circumstance. The second is appointing Emery who was the wrong guy. Even Emery though had to deal with Arsenes cloud looming over the club and wasn’t allowed to sign Zaha with the board preferring Pépé.

I remember you being supportive of Emery. What seemed to turn you off him was him falling in love with Xhaka. Well Arteta seems to love Xhaka as well. All his managers appear to. Not only Wenger, Emery, Ljungberg and Arteta at Arsenal. But the Swiss national manager and the guy who was at Borussia Monchengladbach.

I’m not convinced by Zaha. He would have cost as much as Pépé (I’m sure I recall his price being £70m last summer), and I think I’d prefer Pépé. Indeed, Pépé has had a more than decent first season. Very fast, loads of skill, and younger so hopefully has more resale value. I’d take him over Zaha.

Onto good news, Bayern beat Chelsea 4-1 tonight, so 7-1 on aggregate. So Chelsea won’t be winning anything this season.

Post #514780  Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:51 am 

Word is after Aubameyang signs, Lacazette is being sold to Aletico. Aubameyang and Lacazette are very close friends. It won't go over well but I understand we have sell before we can buy additional players past the 30 mil budget.

Post #514781  Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:07 am 

Not too difficult to compile the list of best club in each county.

Post #514782  Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:05 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Word is after Aubameyang signs, Lacazette is being sold to Aletico. Aubameyang and Lacazette are very close friends. It won't go over well but I understand we have sell before we can buy additional players past the 30 mil budget.

Hmm. Lacazette out with Willian and Coutinho in. On paper we'd look stronger with a front four of those two together with Aubameyang and Pépé.

Post #514783  Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:27 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Wonder what's the plan for CM positions next season. Possibly no Torreira and Guendouzi. Even if Ceballos re-joins, we would still need another CM. Unless Arteta believe Willock and Emile Smith Rowe are good enough as squaddies.

Post #514784  Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:17 pm 

Chelsea can afford not to offer Willian a 3 year contract. They have immense resources, even though they aren't spending as they did in '04, '05.
We are finished 8th and we must come out like our backs are against the wall. We can get back to top 6 and top 4 in 2 years if we get the right players. Willian is a great player. We are not going to get someone of his quality with our resources. He may only be good for 2 of the next 3 seasons but if he plays as he has been and we keep Aubameyang and get a couple players we will be very, very good going forward. We just need to shore up the defense. We get decent at defending, holding onto most leads, more clean sheets, we will be tough to beat and be in position to challenge Tottenham in the table. I'm not sure we can challenge Man Utd and Chelsea yet. It depends on who they buy.
The biggest obstacle to Tottenham is Mourinho himself. He has us sussed out. Not sure if we have ever beaten him in league play no matter what side he's managed.

Post #514785  Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:34 pm 

Watching the Anelka documentary and about 3/4 through. Usually you expect to be sympathetic to the person its about but I wasn't. I am coming away thinking he's immature.

Post #514786  Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:39 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Watching the Anelka documentary and about 3/4 through. Usually you expect to be sympathetic to the person its about but I wasn't. I am coming away thinking he's immature.

Takes one to ............ no, too easy. A tap in.

Post #514787  Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:55 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:

Ditto, it was ridiculous

I watched up until he started skipping training at Madrid then turned off.

Whole thing is propaganda to make him look less of the compete and utter helmet he actually is. He doesn’t respect anybody and actually I found it a little embarrassing that Arsene agreed to be interviewed for it considering how much Anelka left him in the lurch.

Post #514788  Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:11 am 

I wonder what Arsenal will do with the GK situation. Martinez has apparently made it clear he wants assurances over minutes before extending his contract which runs out in 2 years. Leno's contract runs until 2023.
It feels like we can't really have both as 1 will always be unhappy. I saw rumours that Burnley were asking for £50m for Nick Pope - there's an english inflation on the price but considering our two GK are 27/28 there have easily 6-7 years where they can still be at the top of the game.

So, if you could only keep 1 and sell the other which way round is it? I think Martinez might count as a home grown player as well, is a year younger, on lower wages and Leno may be the one that attracts the higher transfer fee. In an ideal world you find a way to keep them both but when there are gaping holes in the rest of your squad it doesn't make sense to have a £30m+ GK sitting on the bench when that money could plug a hole in defence or central midfield.

Post #514789  Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:36 am 

Rich wrote:
So, if you could only keep 1 and sell the other which way round is it? I think Martinez might count as a home grown player as well, is a year younger, on lower wages and Leno may be the one that attracts the higher transfer fee. In an ideal world you find a way to keep them both but when there are gaping holes in the rest of your squad it doesn't make sense to have a £30m+ GK sitting on the bench when that money could plug a hole in defence or central midfield.

I know I made a post not long ago about how we maybe should be looking to sell Martinez in the summer if a big bid comes in, but he's made the decision more difficult with each game he's played. I do agree it's probably not possible to keep them both on for much longer, but it won't be easy to choose between them.

Martinez looks more assured on crosses and corners, although I think Leno isn't as bad as suggested in this area. Leno is better 1v1 and have better reflexes. I like the way Martinez often manages to hold on to the ball when making saves, not leaving any rebounds. And then there's the experience bit; as impressive as Martinez has been, it's still a run of about 10 games, whereas Leno has been a starting keeper at the top level for nine years.

Not an easy decision, and I guess some of it depends on Leno's injury, but seeing as we need to strengthen the squad a bit and aren't flush with cash, it might be poor asset management to hold on to both of them.

Post #514790  Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:02 am 

I viewed only to see how we were mentioned.

Post #514791  Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:04 am 

Martinez and Leno are roughly the same age, Leno is the more highly regarded. He's going to expect his starting position back. I wonder if Arteta can keep both of them happy? Would Martinez be satisfied with cups and if there is a fixture congestion, or matches too close together then he starts?

Post #514792  Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:12 am 

I read Emery has made a formil bid for Guendouzi. I can't see him staying. He knows Emery and its got to be a serious vote of confidence to get a bid. Its just a question of how much now, if reports are true.

Post #514793  Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:43 am 

I can understand the sentiments of Chelsea fans.
https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2020/08/10/d ... his-tweet/

Post #514794  Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:25 pm 

Sky saying 2 clubs are in for AMN 2 from the premiership including Tottenham :8surprise: and one from the bundesliga

Post #514795  Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:22 pm 

One of the best things to happen for The Arsenal was Newcastle not being bought by the prince of Saudi Arabia. Had that happened in about 2 or more years, they would be top 6 and eventually top 4. He has the money to do it. And just like Chelsea and City, after an initial start buying willy nilly, they would eventually get the right combination of manager and quality players and win titles. That kind of money rarely doesn't win eventually. Had that happen it would have made it one more big hurdle to get back to top 6 and eventually top 4. (I'm sure Sunderland are happy as well. Although not in the same league they would hate tot see their fiercest rivals as title winners).

Post #514796  Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:53 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Sky saying 2 clubs are in for AMN 2 from the premiership including Tottenham :8surprise: and one from the bundesliga

Really don’t want to see him go....but he must be at peak value right now. If a few clubs are in for him then that increases the price. Look at what prices clubs put on talented young English players currently. Max Arrons for example at Norwich, £25-30m. We should be pushing AMN price north of that, don’t like the idea of him going to spurs.

Post #514797  Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:16 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Rich wrote:

I know I made a post not long ago about how we maybe should be looking to sell Martinez in the summer if a big bid comes in, but he's made the decision more difficult with each game he's played. I do agree it's probably not possible to keep them both on for much longer, but it won't be easy to choose between them.

Martinez looks more assured on crosses and corners, although I think Leno isn't as bad as suggested in this area. Leno is better 1v1 and have better reflexes. I like the way Martinez often manages to hold on to the ball when making saves, not leaving any rebounds. And then there's the experience bit; as impressive as Martinez has been, it's still a run of about 10 games, whereas Leno has been a starting keeper at the top level for nine years.

Not an easy decision, and I guess some of it depends on Leno's injury, but seeing as we need to strengthen the squad a bit and aren't flush with cash, it might be poor asset management to hold on to both of them.

Hi Haz,

If Martinez's form is indicative of what he will produce for the remainder of his career then I would suggest he is the more rounded keeper, more commanding, better on crosses, better with the ball at his feet and prefers to catch/hold rather than punch/parry, which is a quality many keepers have lost as the balls have changed over the years.

You might argue that if Arteta want's to continue to play out from the back (City style) then Martinez's superiority with the ball at his feet is a crucial factor.

Of course we are yet to see how Martinez copes with a hostile crowd but that is probably months away at best.

Big decision but you are right that a club supposedly short on funds can't really justify a back-up keeper of either Leno's or Martinez's quality.

Post #514798  Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:53 pm 

I think too much negativity is being made of Leno’s distribution, which in my view is pretty damn good. I also agree with Hazuki’s comments on Leno with crosses. I realise he gave Chelsea their winner at the Emirates but I think Leno is way better on crosses than some have given him credit for. Leno’s shot stopping is quite remarkable so if we do have to sell either Leno or Martinez, as Hazuki also implied it is a very close call and a hugely difficult decision.

With Leno’s injury hopefully it won’t be a decision that has to be made this window either.

Post #514799  Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:10 pm 

Another plus point for Emi Martinez is he's considered as HG. He's been very good so far and I think we can afford to keep both for another season at least to see whether EM can maintain his form or do a Manninger.

Post #514800  Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:37 am 

Goonie wrote:
Another plus point for Emi Martinez is he's considered as HG. He's been very good so far and I think we can afford to keep both for another season at least to see whether EM can maintain his form or do a Manninger.

Actually that’s a very good point you make about Manninger’s start. Maybe my memory is playing tricks on me, but didn’t Almunia start off brightly? I might be wrong, but there’s something in the back of my mind that he looked really good at first.

EDIT: Damn, here I am again talking the general issue of keeping or selling players. The only point I’ll make is that with Stan as the owner we might as well sell both Martinez and Leno and replace them with the worst keeper in the Barnet Sunday League for all the difference it’ll make. Imagine a smiley here!

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12867, 12868, 12869, 12870, 12871, 12872, 12873 ... 14269  Next