Fixtures Weds April 17th - Bayern Munich - Allianz-Arena - UEFA Champions League - 8:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:32 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: AmericanGooner, Rich, warrior and 100 guests

Post #500681  Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:51 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
Terry Henry wrote:
Dear oh dear - I guess you are feeling a little silly now :42laughter: :15laughter:
Be fair, it was a spectacular result at Lords today.

England were very lucky with the weather though.

Post #500682  Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:54 pm 

Bernard wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:
Be fair, it was a spectacular result at Lords today.

England were very lucky with the weather though.
Yes, Surrey did do well last night routing Glamorgan for 44.

Post #500683  Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:01 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
It seems Kolasinac is a pretty good defender?

Well played.

And for a second there, it did look like the car was driving away. Made me think an Arsenal defender was behind the wheels, desperate to get out of position for the attack.

Post #500684  Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:43 pm 

tomc wrote:
HoddGooner wrote:
Why do you only believe the press stories that are negative about the club?
The chances of the press having any details about the loan deal are likely to be between zero and 3/5ths of bugger all
Only yesterday morning, they were saying the deal was likely to be off.....

Hodd, what's your take on Zech Medley and how ready (or not) he is for a bit of first team action?

He is a good prospect, but not ready for the 1st team.
I would personally be sad to see him go, but his reaction to events over the last couple of months haven't helped his cause.
Young players today think they have arrived before they have actually done anything in the game; agents really do have a lot to answer for.....the media as well, but they are fed by unscrupulous agents.

Post #500685  Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:16 pm 

HoddGooner wrote:
socrates wrote:
If it's true we are paying over £15m to Madrid (£3m+ in wages plus £12m loan fee) for Ceballos with no option to buy then that it is just ridiculous.

I had been supportive of the loan move until I read that. I had assumed we'd cover his wages and perhaps pay a small loan fee, after all we are developing their player for them.

I suspect the Spuds sensibly baulked at paying this for a loanee rather than him choosing us over them.

The chances of the press having any details about the loan deal are likely to be between zero and 3/5ths of bugger all

Well Madrid are hardly tight-lipped about anything. Everything is seemingly fed to their press mouthpiece Marca. Not saying the Sun are correct, infact I'd be staggered if they were, but I suspect details of the loan are in the public domain in Spain.

Post #500686  Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:17 pm 

HoddGooner wrote:
tomc wrote:
Hodd, what's your take on Zech Medley and how ready (or not) he is for a bit of first team action?

I would personally be sad to see him go, but his reaction to events over the last couple of months haven't helped his cause.
Young players today think they have arrived before they have actually done anything in the game; agents really do have a lot to answer for.....the media as well, but they are fed by unscrupulous agents.

Hodd, are you referring to Medley or Amaechi?

Post #500687  Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:38 pm 

socrates wrote:

It was Medley, surely?

Post #500688  Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:08 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bored wrote:
If Kolasinac doesn’t become a cult hero now he never will.
He needs a chant about chasing off knife wielding car jackers once he thought they were Sperz fans

I’m not a fan of the Khan bashing the Tories and trump are doing about violence in the capital but when I saw that video I just thought *%^@*** hell there’s issues there that need to be solved. Knife wielding moped gangs driving around Golders Green looking for anything of value to take. The police need to get a grip.

Kolasinac just earned a new contract in my eyes. That’s the stuff of folklore, he can get caught out of position as many times as he wants this year.

Its what happens when the Tories cut 20,000 police...

Post #500689  Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:11 pm 

socrates wrote:
If it's true we are paying over £15m to Madrid (£3m+ in wages plus £12m loan fee) for Ceballos with no option to buy then that it is just ridiculous.

I had been supportive of the loan move until I read that. I had assumed we'd cover his wages and perhaps pay a small loan fee, after all we are developing their player for them.

I suspect the Spuds sensibly baulked at paying this for a loanee rather than him choosing us over them.

Where did you read that Soc? Not seen anything like that anywhere...

Post #500690  Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:18 pm 

HoddGooner wrote:
tomc wrote:

Certainly sounds like the case with Xavier Amaechi - seems every young English winger these days thinks they are jaden Sancho, forgetting that Sancho was the absolute star at every age group in his development - a guy who missed the u19 world cup win because he was already a first team regular who had commanded a 10m fee as a 17 year old with virtually no first team experience.

Post #500691  Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:20 pm 

socrates wrote:
HoddGooner wrote:

Well Madrid are hardly tight-lipped about anything. Everything is seemingly fed to their press mouthpiece Marca. Not saying the Sun are correct, infact I'd be staggered if they were, but I suspect details of the loan are in the public domain in Spain.

Since when have Marca been reliable?! According to them we buy about 30 players every summer!

Post #500692  Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:37 am 

The Scottish papers are saying an agreement has been made for Tierney. I do expect this one to go through. It’s strange though, when negotiations have gone on so long it takes a bit of a shine off the transfer.....it shouldn’t, it’s nonsense, but it all seems anti-climatic

Post #500693  Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:32 am 

lomekian wrote:
socrates wrote:

Where did you read that Soc? Not seen anything like that anywhere...

Hi Lom

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football ... -15m-loan/

Not the best or most reliable source.

Post #500694  Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:34 am 

lomekian wrote:
socrates wrote:

Since when have Marca been reliable?! According to them we buy about 30 players every summer!

Not suggesting that they are reliable but they do seem to get access to a lot of Madrid stuff that should be kept in-house.

Post #500695  Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:37 am 

We are being linked with Zaha and Pépé but the suggested fees seem insane. You can understand why we are reluctant to pay them. It is not like we would be signing Messi or Ronaldo. Pépé is unproven at the top level and Zaha is still not an absolute top drawer player in my opinion.

Post #500696  Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:05 am 

Rich wrote:
The Scottish papers are saying an agreement has been made for Tierney. I do expect this one to go through. It’s strange though, when negotiations have gone on so long it takes a bit of a shine off the transfer.....it shouldn’t, it’s nonsense, but it all seems anti-climatic

Watched YouTube compilations of Tierney, which I accept isn’t a reliable guide on how good or otherwise a player is. It all seemed to focus on him going forward, in which he looked very impressive. I don’t suppose Celtic have to do a great deal of defending. But regardless of that, I would ideally have liked to see some sort of evidence that he is defensively competent. There wasn’t and he’ll have to do a lot more defending at Arsenal than he does at Celtic.

I’ve got a feeling Hazuki might have made the same point. If he did, apologies to him.

Post #500697  Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:27 am 

socrates wrote:
We are being linked with Zaha and Pépé but the suggested fees seem insane. You can understand why we are reluctant to pay them. It is not like we would be signing Messi or Ronaldo. Pépé is unproven at the top level and Zaha is still not an absolute top drawer player in my opinion.

Certainly can't disagree with that, but the market is what it is. I'm past caring about transfer fees, if we pay 80m for a player it means we can do it, and if that's what it takes to bring in a top player then so be it.

Defense is the weakness with Arsenal that everybody agrees on, but I think our attack is getting overrated because people just look at the goal totals. Don't think anyone who watched us regularly last season can say we looked convincing going forward for any longer period. We had games here and there where it all seemed to click, but for the most part we looked slow and out of ideas and I think having two really good strikers made our numbers look better than we were.

Don't care much if it's Zaha, Pépé or Soares. All of them have different strengths and different red flags too. Just think it's crucial we get an attacking signing in.

Post #500698  Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:31 am 

Bernard wrote:
Watched YouTube compilations of Tierney, which I accept isn’t a reliable guide on how good or otherwise a player is. It all seemed to focus on him going forward, in which he looked very impressive. I don’t suppose Celtic have to do a great deal of defending. But regardless of that, I would ideally have liked to see some sort of evidence that he is defensively competent. There wasn’t and he’ll have to do a lot more defending at Arsenal than he does at Celtic.

I’ve got a feeling Hazuki might have made the same point. If he did, apologies to him.

It's very hard to make any sort of judgment on a player's defensive ability from youtube, but the Celtic fans I've seen talk about Tierney seem to think he's the second coming of Maldini. Should probably take that with a pinch of salt.

Post #500699  Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:34 am 

socrates wrote:
HoddGooner wrote:

Yes sorry I was talking about Amaechi
Medley is again a good prospect but, from what I’ve seen ( which isn’t a lot lately), filling our gap in central defence would be a massive stretch at this stage.

Post #500700  Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:45 am 

HoddGooner wrote:
socrates wrote:

Medley is again a good prospect but, from what I’ve seen ( which isn’t a lot lately), filling our gap in central defence would be a massive stretch at this stage.

Phew, I’m delighted to read that.

Post #500701  Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:50 am 

Hazuki wrote:
socrates wrote:

Certainly can't disagree with that, but the market is what it is. I'm past caring about transfer fees, if we pay 80m for a player it means we can do it, and if that's what it takes to bring in a top player then so be it.

Defense is the weakness with Arsenal that everybody agrees on, but I think our attack is getting overrated because people just look at the goal totals. Don't think anyone who watched us regularly last season can say we looked convincing going forward for any longer period. We had games here and there where it all seemed to click, but for the most part we looked slow and out of ideas and I think having two really good strikers made our numbers look better than we were.

Don't care much if it's Zaha, Pépé or Soares. All of them have different strengths and different red flags too. Just think it's crucial we get an attacking signing in.

Fair points.

I'd like to see us bring in a top CB but with the signing of Saliba I doubt that will happen this summer, unless we get another loan signing. Whether a top quality LB (if Tierney is that) could be enough I don't know. I imagine we are looking at Sokratis/Chambers/Mustafi as our main CB choices which does not inspire a great deal of confidence. Talk that Zech Medley will be promoted to the first team squad which seems a bit of a leap of faith.

Agree that we need a fast, skilful dribbler to complete our attack.

Post #500702  Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:15 am 

HoddGooner wrote:
socrates wrote:

Amaechi has been sold to a Bundesliga 2 club hasn’t he?

Post #500703  Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:52 am 

If we really want a winger and are willing to spend most of our budget to get one at the expense of a CB or a good CB then I’d much rather forgo the winger and spend all that money on a CB or pair of CB. Not that it will happen but I’d even resign Welbeck on a free so we can use the rest of the budget on a CB

Post #500704  Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:55 am 

Ash wrote:
HoddGooner wrote:

I read he’d been sold for £2.5m. Not a huge fee but Sancho only went for £10m. The best thing to do if these young players are intent on leaving is to insert a realistic buy back clause (say £20m) and have a healthy sell on clause of at least 25% minimum

Post #500705  Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:57 am 

Looks like Zaha was a backup for this kid. Ornstein saying we’ve agreed a deal for Pépé. £80m!!

https://twitter.com/bbcsport_david/status/1155052728525164544?s=21

Post #500706  Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:58 am 

Darren wrote:
Looks like Zaha was a backup for this kid. Or stein saying we’ve agreed a deal for Pépé. £80m!!

https://twitter.com/bbcsport_david/status/1155052728525164544?s=21

Hi Darren,

That's like, wow!

I'm excited and I've no idea who good he is :laughing7:

Post #500707  Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:59 am 

Ornstein:

"Arsenal have reached an agreement with Lille to sign Ivory Coast winger Nicolas Pépé for ~€80m, paid by instalments to fit #AFC budget. 5yr deal, agent agreement still needed but set to be closed in next 24/48hrs. Napoli also have agreement with #LOSC but agent rejected proposal"

Post #500708  Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:07 am 

Haven't seen a single game where Pépé plays, but one thing is sure; the guy can dribble. May not pan out, but that can be said about any signing. At least we're giving it a go.

Post #500709  Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:14 am 

Hazuki wrote:
Haven't seen a single game where Pépé plays, but one thing is sure; the guy can dribble. May not pan out, but that can be said about any signing. At least we're giving it a go.

Yep, and you can't ask for more than showing ambition.

If I'm honest I didn't see this one coming, I thought there were too many big clubs with CL football after him (allegedly) and I thought we were more likely to hammer out some sort of deal for Zaha or for Everton Soares.

Post #500710  Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:16 am 

Ash wrote:
HoddGooner wrote:

VfL Bochum. Wikipedia says £2.2M.

Post #500711  Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:28 am 

socrates wrote:
Ornstein:

"Arsenal have reached an agreement with Lille to sign Ivory Coast winger Nicolas Pépé for ~€80m, paid by instalments to fit #AFC budget. 5yr deal, agent agreement still needed but set to be closed in next 24/48hrs. Napoli also have agreement with #LOSC but agent rejected proposal"

Well that is a shock. I’ll wait until I see him in the shirt but it would certainly be a statement on intent and show ambition.

If it goes through it will be hilarious that every man and his dog bought the £45m transfer budget story. If that was ‘leaked’ by Arsenal theyve played a blinder

Post #500712  Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:43 am 

Rich wrote:
socrates wrote:
Ornstein:

Well that is a shock. I’ll wait until I see him in the shirt but it would certainly be a statement on intent and show ambition.

If it goes through it will be hilarious that every man and his dog bought the £45m transfer budget story. If that was ‘leaked’ by Arsenal theyve played a blinder

Yes exciting news. But I hope we don't see Aubameyang or Lacazette sold to pay for it.

Post #500713  Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:45 am 

Wonder what this means for Nelson if Pépé is coming in?

Post #500714  Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:51 am 

Rich wrote:
Wonder what this means for Nelson if Pépé is coming in?

Probably another season out on loan.

Post #500715  Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:44 am 

bromley gooner wrote:
Rich wrote:

Yes exciting news. But I hope we don't see Aubameyang or Lacazette sold to pay for it.

Won"t be surprised if Aubameyang is sold.

Post #500716  Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:54 am 

Goonie wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

Think it could be either. May come down to who will get the biggest transfer fee and considering Aubameyang’s age, that might well be Lacazette.

Post #500717  Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:01 pm 

Rich wrote:
socrates wrote:
Ornstein:

Get out of it! That’s never happened! Has it!?

Post #500718  Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:05 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
Rich wrote:

Wouldn't worry about that. They've both been heavily involved in pre-season and there hasn't been any substantial rumours about either of them leaving from what I can find. Don't think selling them is on the cards, this seems more like a signing to complement them.

Post #500719  Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:15 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Goonie wrote:

Think it could be either. May come down to who will get the biggest transfer fee and considering Aubameyang’s age, that might well be Lacazette.

Perhaps Aubameyang this season and Lacazette the next...
:20hospitals:

Post #500720  Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:41 pm 

Ornstein has said on Radio 5 that neither Aubameyang or Lacazette will be sold to fund the deal and the intention is all 3 to play. Pépé is seen as a winger rather than a central striker.

[ 571628 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12515, 12516, 12517, 12518, 12519, 12520, 12521 ... 14291  Next