Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:44 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], warrior and 114 guests

Post #503041  Posted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:50 pm 

The few forums Man Utd forums I've been to aren't optimistic about their chances against us. Interesting as well to see Man Utd fans similar to other fans in having an 'oh well, we are shite ' type of attitude. They seem resigned to the fact (in their minds at least) they are a ways from being great again. They have a great core of players. They spend as well. Say what you will about the Glasers but they will open up the wallet if its deemed necessary.

Mourinho did far more harm than good, especially to the mentality of the team and some of its key players like Pogba.

I am always nervous when we have to play them. We are getting them at a low point and finally playing them with a lot of our squad healthy and playing well. Right now I would take a draw. Some fans are going to be over optimistic and demand nothing less than 3 points which is a bit 'barmy' if I can borrow a Brit phrase. The invincible season is the only time I expected a good result against them in the 2nd half of the season.

They have a lot of ways to score and our defense isn't good so, I would think a scoring draw, 1 or 2 goals each IF we score first. If we don't, it could be a loss.

Post #503042  Posted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:03 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Talksport said Xhaka did win the poll of the players. I think that does say something about the respect the squad have for him.

If George Graham Asked his squad if he should sell Sansom and Nicholas they probably would said no but that doesn’t make it the right decision. I wonder if Sir Alex would have let his squad select the club captain.

Let’s be honest it’s a silly decision, I’m happy to stick up for Emery but to say it isn’t daft is a bit silly

As Hazuki said, giving the players a poll isn’t necessarily the same as letting them decide. It confirms the respect Xhaka has in the squad, and Emery presumably wanted to appoint a respected player.

Post #503043  Posted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:35 pm 

dec wrote:
Why not have them pick the team altogether?

Not even remotely the same thing, obviously. It's just weird to see fans suggest they know better who should represent the players as captain than the players themselves. I get that some don't rate Xhaka at all but this is just plain silly.

Post #503044  Posted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:48 pm 

#RIParmband

Post #503045  Posted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:49 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
dec wrote:
Why not have them pick the team altogether?

Not even remotely the same thing, obviously. It's just weird to see fans suggest they know better who should represent the players as captain than the players themselves. I get that some don't rate Xhaka at all but this is just plain silly.

If it’s about personality maybe we should just name Bob Wilson or actually Tony Adams

.....or it’s a *%^@ choice

Post #503046  Posted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:50 pm 

If you don’t think it’s daft then please explain why Özil was a great choice for 5th captain

Post #503047  Posted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:00 pm 

EMI Martinez has received his first call up to the full Argentina national squad. Fair play, hasn’t put a foot wrong in the 2 games he’s played this season, 2 clean sheets as well.

Post #503048  Posted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:55 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
If you don’t think it’s daft then please explain why Özil was a great choice for 5th captain

Because he's a world cup winning star with a wealth of experience at the very top level, and more importantly because the players obviously respect him?

Please explain how your opinion on this matters more than that of the players and managers who train together every day and are actually in the dressing room.

This isn't about Emery making a bad choice, this is about some fans not being able to see past their personal opinion of a certain player and applying that opinion to an area where we have next to no insight.

Post #503049  Posted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:06 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Because he's a world cup winning star with a wealth of experience at the very top level, and more importantly because the players obviously respect him

Very useful when he’s never on the pitch

Post #503050  Posted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:09 pm 

Rich wrote:
EMI Martinez has received his first call up to the full Argentina national squad. Fair play, hasn’t put a foot wrong in the 2 games he’s played this season, 2 clean sheets as well.

The upside potential of him, Pépé, Saka and even Smith Rowe, Maitland Niles, etc, could be a bright future if they stay and progress together. May not be Man Utd's youth team of the early 90s but pretty darn good.

Post #503051  Posted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:10 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
...Right now I would take a draw. Some fans are going to be over optimistic and demand nothing less than 3 points which is a bit 'barmy' if I can borrow a Brit phrase...They have a lot of ways to score and our defense isn't good so, I would think a scoring draw, 1 or 2 goals each IF we score first. If we don't, it could be a loss.
In Premiership we have kept just one clean sheet in 6 matches and conceded at least 2 goals in our last four outings, so hard to imagine we can stop United scoring. They need to bounce back after an iffy run, so I expect defeat - with an Arsenal sending-off as well.

Post #503052  Posted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:59 pm 

RIP arm band. Think I know what Top Gun meant, but even so you can get one.

Attachments:

Post #503053  Posted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:48 pm 

Trump has more (political) lives that Rasputin. This time, it seems clear cut and a fairly easy impeachment in the House of Representatives where the Democrats have a majority. The Senate convicts and with a 67/100 needed to convict and the Senate having 53 Republicans (20 of whom would have to break ranks), its not going to be easy. Rumor has it that at least 30 to 35 of said Republicans wants to vote to convict and would do so in a secret vote but this is a very public process with a public vote on the record. Would 20 break ranks? Its 50/50 right now. The fringe, deranged right wingers are all doing a 'are you going to believe me or your lying eyes', jedi mind trick to their base, who will believe it. Not because it makes sense but it gives them something to hang on to.

Even if he is convicted and is given his walking papers, the fact he was elected and remained this long with a long list of histrionics, fascism and law breaking, doesn't bode well for America. His presidency has done two things. It's uncovered the country as hypocrites with a large number of its citizens no better than fascist Italy, Spain or Germany almost 90 years ago. And its also told the world the American people can not be trusted to be the self titled and self entrusted 'leader of the free world'.

Post #503054  Posted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:49 pm 

Just read in some online article somewhere the players chose Xhaka. Was this vote held in America? :42laughter:

Post #503055  Posted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:52 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
...Right now I would take a draw. Some fans are going to be over optimistic and demand nothing less than 3 points which is a bit 'barmy' if I can borrow a Brit phrase...They have a lot of ways to score and our defense isn't good so, I would think a scoring draw, 1 or 2 goals each IF we score first. If we don't, it could be a loss.
In Premiership we have kept just one clean sheet in 6 matches and conceded at least 2 goals in our last four outings, so hard to imagine we can stop United scoring. They need to bounce back after an iffy run, so I expect defeat - with an Arsenal sending-off as well.

omoh, really?! Defeat?! Completely agree with you about us leaking goals. That's known and no one expects us to keep a clean sheet there, but given our recent form and theirs (which includes their own leaky defense), I can't see how you can be confident of defeat. Are you channeling your inner Mee (RIP)?

Post #503056  Posted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:20 pm 

Just read Ramsey has won himself a starting position after 2 matches at 'The Old Lady'. :42laughter:
One of my favorite players. Wish we could have kept him.

Post #503057  Posted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:51 am 

Rich wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

Aubameyang will be the Captain

Interesting that Emery has the players voting.
One view would be it could be clever to see who the players want and it may install more togetherness and increase leadership and responsibility in someone who may not have believed themselves to be captain material.
The other way to look at it is, Emery shirking making a decision - just pick your captain! and maybe he is struggling for natural captains in this team.

My view is the captain role has changed from what it was 10-15 years ago, but that player should clearly be a first choice player when fit, must have the respect of his team-mates, must lead by example in the way he conducts himself on and off the pitch, and must hold people to task on the pitch who are not pulling their weight or following instructions.

If Emery insists on the 5 captain route you could go with the 'best players' route, 'experience' route, 'long serving arsenal men' route, 'respected by others' route or 'natural leaders' route. Or a nice blend of them all.

My 5 would be: Holding, Bellerin, Luiz, Aubamayang, Xhaka

IMO, Emery is beginning to have serious doubts about Xhaka's ability to play regularly, and needs to take the armband away from him. Sorry, don't want to slate Xhaka all the time, but that is my feel about this. So Emery is being smart, and doesn't want to be the person who takes the armband away from him. There must be a reason, non-footballing wise, which makes Emery such a "believer" in Xhaka. Perhaps his personal relationship with Xhaka is so strong that he might have made a sub-conscious obligation to Xhaka during his initial year. With fans turning on Xhaka (and likely some influential players in the dressing room), Emery has to decide between the "devil and the deep blue sea". So, he took the smarter move. At least he can play the "democracy" card in this play.

Post #503058  Posted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:53 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Every week from now on we will vote a player off the team. A hat trick will get you immunity.

Ha ha, are you a big fan of the Survivor series?

Post #503059  Posted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:54 am 

Bernard wrote:
Xhaka has his 27th birthday today. Born 27th September 1992.

Happy Birthday Xhaka!

Post #503060  Posted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:02 am 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Ornstein has announced it

Quite a rambling post Bernard. Do you think he’s a good choice or not ?

For me it boils down to 2 questions.

1. Is Granit Xhaka good enough to start regularly for arsenal football club
2.should a football team have a captain who isn’t regularly on the football pitch.

I think as far as leaders of the team are concerned he’s probably as good as anyone. Was it gooner7 who said it would be Aubameyang? But I don’t see much captaincy material in Aubameyang. I think that’s little more than fans commonly seeing the star player as captain. Yet being the star player does not automatically make someone the best captain.

I wouldn’t put Xhaka in the starting eleven for an important match, although like Hazuki I don’t think he’s as bad as you. But I’m not sure the captain has to be undroppable these days. Also, one has to assume Xhaka won more votes than anyone else in the players’ poll. If that assumption is correct, it surely supports his appointment even though, as I said, I’m not convinced he should be a regular starter.

Yup, it was me who said Aubameyang. And you are quite right that I rate him because of his star quality. Additionally, I can see his passion for the team to perform well. He is one who dares to speak his mind of the game and of the team-play. I believe he will work very hard to be game changer and energise the team from their lull state. That's what I see in a Captain. Not just someone who tries to echo the Manager/Coach, even when the team played like s###. Finally, I am bias with my choice :42laughter:

Post #503061  Posted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:07 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Just read in some online article somewhere the players chose Xhaka. Was this vote held in America? :42laughter:

Own up AG, you read it here :42laughter:

Post #503062  Posted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:13 am 

gooner7 wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

Own up AG, you read it here :42laughter:

LOL...if I read it here, whose post did I read it? :1laughter:

:1laughter:

Anyway, I hope it doesn't arbitrarily mean he has to start. There is precedence for a non startomg captain as crazy as that sounds, lest we forget Arteta and Mertesacker.

If he is that respected by the players, then so be it.

Post #503063  Posted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:01 am 

gooner7 wrote:
So Emery is being smart, and doesn't want to be the person who takes the armband away from him.

If that was the case he could've just, you know...not given him the armband?

All these mental gymnastics we see just because fans can't bring themselves to accept that Emery simply rates Xhaka. And maybe, just maybe, Xhaka's critics are underestimating him a little because they get frustrated as soon as he misplaces a pass.

Post #503064  Posted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:25 am 

Hazuki wrote:
gooner7 wrote:
So Emery is being smart, and doesn't want to be the person who takes the armband away from him.

If that was the case he could've just, you know...not given him the armband?

All these mental gymnastics we see just because fans can't bring themselves to accept that Emery simply rates Xhaka. And maybe, just maybe, Xhaka's critics are underestimating him a little because they get frustrated as soon as he misplaces a pass.

You are right, I am negatively biased about Xhaka. Just as much as you are positively biased about him. :42laughter:

Freedom of speech & opinion ... nothing to lose sleep over. As he is now made Captain, I only look forward to him standing tall and making us proud. Prefer to see a much better Xhaka too. I did compliment him for his captain's role in the Frankfurt game. He just needs to bring more of such performances. Stop making that one silly error that leads to a morale-sapping goal. Going to support our named Captain from hereon (until .......................) :42laughter:

Post #503065  Posted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:18 am 

gooner7 wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
Every week from now on we will vote a player off the team. A hat trick will get you immunity.

Ha ha, are you a big fan of the Survivor series?

Actually I hate the series but the way reality tv works I am surprised we didn’t sell the rights for the election of the captain. I could see Emery standing there turning over pieces of cardboard with the players nomination to a live tv audience.

Another commercial opportunity missed.

Post #503066  Posted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:20 am 

One positive of Xhaka as a captain is that usually the next season they have left the club.

Post #503067  Posted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:15 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
omoh, really?! Defeat?! Completely agree with you about us leaking goals. That's known and no one expects us to keep a clean sheet there, but given our recent form and theirs (which includes their own leaky defense), I can't see how you can be confident of defeat. Are you channeling your inner Mee (RIP)?
Yes I could be! More telling is the fact that we have only won 6 league games at Old Trafford in 40 years, the last time in September 2006! I really hope I am wrong but expect not to be.

Post #503068  Posted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:24 am 

But a draw is not a bridge too far either. This is currently a poor performing Man Utd side. A draw is well within our present form.

Post #503069  Posted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:23 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
Yes I could be! More telling is the fact that we have only won 6 league games at Old Trafford in 40 years, the last time in September 2006! I really hope I am wrong but expect not to be.

That's a fair point, there are no guaranteed wins at Old Trafford. That being said, this is the worst squad they've had since I started following Arsenal in the mid-90s, so it's been a long time since we had a better chance even if we haven't impressed much so far. We have a much better team on paper, and that's not a statement we could've made often in the last 30 years.

Post #503070  Posted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:25 pm 

So Santi is bossing it in la Liga. Couldn't get him from a training table without injuring himself coming off it and having a great season in Spain. I'm happy for him but talk about our luck.

Post #503071  Posted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:49 pm 

Effen lucky Liverpool. Thought the Blades would hang on. Oh well. I recall a loss for us there when they were managed by Warnock. I think 1-0. And Warnock was musing about the night, "...there was a nip in the air..." and some other words making the night out to be so special (well beating The Arsenal should be special).

On a sidenote, I recall a conversation in the pub I watched football in LA years ago with a fan from Yorkshire, specifically near Sheffield who said that some of the '80s bands who were kinda adrogynous came from Sheffield like ABC, Heaven 17, Human League, Thomson Twins, etc despite it being known as a very working class, union, city was because the way some of the teens rebelled was to be complete opposite of the tough, working class, iron factory reputation of the area. I found it hilarious at the time.

Post #503072  Posted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:23 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Effen lucky Liverpool. Thought the Blades would hang on. Oh well. I recall a loss for us there when they were managed by Warnock. I think 1-0. And Warnock was musing about the night, "...there was a nip in the air..." and some other words making the night out to be so special (well beating The Arsenal should be special).

On a sidenote, I recall a conversation in the pub I watched football in LA years ago with a fan from Yorkshire, specifically near Sheffield who said that some of the '80s bands who were kinda adrogynous came from Sheffield like ABC, Heaven 17, Human League, Thomson Twins, etc despite it being known as a very working class, union, city was because the way some of the teens rebelled was to be complete opposite of the tough, working class, iron factory reputation of the area. I found it hilarious at the time.

Kudos to the Blades, they were attacking Pool without fear. Their movement was as swift as Pool. And they did not resort to rough tactics to get the ball.

Post #503073  Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:32 am 

Seems like Sanchez had a debut for the ages at Inter, 2 goals, one ruled against him and then sent off.

Post #503074  Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:00 am 

Everyone should read this from Per Mertesacker:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... nited.html

I can't say I'm shocked or even surprised but its a disgrace that one of the biggest professional football clubs in europe should be run in this way.

Players earning *%^@*** fortunes with absolutely zero accountability.

No criticism in the aftermath of an embarassing defeat just in case you hurt the poor little luvvies feelings.

Let's not talk about the thrashing or point any fingers because the poor little things might get upset.

Let's not allow them to read any newspaper reviews because those nasty press boys might say something hurtful.

It's a *%^@*** joke. No wonder we fell apart everytime we faced the slightest bit of adversity, we basically bred players with no backbone whatsoever.

Post #503075  Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:10 am 

socrates wrote:

I can't say I'm shocked or even surprised but its a disgrace that one of the biggest professional football clubs in europe should be run in this way.

No criticism in the aftermath of an embarassing defeat just in case you heart the poor little luvvies feelings.

Let's not talk about the thrashing or point any fingers because the poor little things might get upset.

Let's not allow them to read any newspaper reviews because those nasty press boys might say something hurtful.

It's a *%^@*** joke. No wonder we fell apart everytime we faced the slightest bit of adversity, we basically bred players with no backbone whatsoever.

Surely one of the lowest moments I can recall as an Arsenal fan. Wenger should have resigned the morning after and any self respecting board of directors would have fired him.

A ridiculous line up and problems so evident and visible. A left back who played and was sold the very next day. So many average players. Cue a massive trolley dash. It was just incredible to think that it wasn’t the final straw and the malaise was allowed to continue.

Ferguson even offering pity for us in his post match interview.

Post #503076  Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:53 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
socrates wrote:

No criticism in the aftermath of an embarassing defeat just in case you heart the poor little luvvies feelings.

Surely one of the lowest moments I can recall as an Arsenal fan. Wenger should have resigned the morning after and any self respecting board of directors would have fired him.

A ridiculous line up and problems so evident and visible. A left back who played and was sold the very next day. So many average players. Cue a massive trolley dash. It was just incredible to think that it wasn’t the final straw and the malaise was allowed to continue.

Bringing back our "luv" for that man :42laughter:

Post #503077  Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:11 am 

gooner7 wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

9 decent years then totally lost the plot practically walking around naked with his winkle hanging out.

For nostalgic reasons I just looked at the forum the day of that match and there was some funny comments.

Exiled having a go at everyone at half time for being so negative and other posters convincing themselves we were only losing because every united goal was a worldie rather than there being an underlying problem :laughing7:

Post #503078  Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:17 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

9 decent years then totally lost the plot practically walking around naked with his winkle hanging out.

For nostalgic reasons I just looked at the forum the day of that match and there was some funny comments.

Exiled having a go at everyone at half time for being so negative and other posters convincing themselves we were only losing because every united goal was a worldie rather than there being an underlying problem :laughing7:

Not building on success, but selling top players, was the start of our decline. He over estimated the abilities of the youth coming through. And went out for bargain hunts which mostly turned out poor. Then he became stubborn about it. Stubbornness turned to arrogance when almost everyone was telling him his bets are all wrong.

Oh well, still can't forget him for spoiling so many of my Arsenal supporting years.

Post #503079  Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:48 pm 

gooner7 wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Not building on success, but selling top players, was the start of our decline. He over estimated the abilities of the youth coming through. And went out for bargain hunts which mostly turned out poor. Then he became stubborn about it. Stubbornness turned to arrogance when almost everyone was telling him his bets are all wrong.

Oh well, still can't forget him for spoiling so many of my Arsenal supporting years.

It really is a mixed bag of memories when it comes to Wenger. Some of the greatest moments, seasons and players in the history of the club, and some of the most deeply frustrating, embarrassing and unforgivable times as well.

Post #503080  Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:05 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

It really is a mixed bag of memories when it comes to Wenger. Some of the greatest moments, seasons and players in the history of the club, and some of the most deeply frustrating, embarrassing and unforgivable times as well.

It really is.

That’s the tragedy of it. The wretched last 10 years over shadowed an incredible managerial performance for the first 10.

So many happy memories, a European cup final. Us! Titles, cups, away trips, Amazing players.

The 98 Newcastle cup final was one of the most happiest days I think in my life (bar birth of kids) our support was incredible that day and we had a brilliant day meeting up at Terry Neil’s place before heading off. I think I may have even ending up getting laid that night to top it all off. Chuck in a Fat guy in a red suit and it would have been Christmas.

I was reading his comments this week about managing United and felt the need to vomit. The thing about Wenger is despite some of the greatest achievements he still viewed the club that it was somehow his creation. Ferguson somehow seemed to respect the history of United however with Wenger I get the feeling he looks at Arsenal as a vehicle he created and resents what happened. He will divide opinion and the real sadness was just that he went on too long.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12574, 12575, 12576, 12577, 12578, 12579, 12580 ... 14269  Next