Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:09 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], warrior and 124 guests

Post #517481  Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:19 am 

Hazuki wrote:
Looking at the personell we have available, you have to think our problem with creating chances (although to be fair, we had 3-4 good ones against City, and at least two of them being of the caliber where you'd expect Saka and Aubameyang to score) is a collective issue. We all know Aubameyang is a world class goal scorer. As Top Gun said, Willian hasn't suddenly become crap just because he moved to Arsenal, he has proven his quality over many years in England. Pépé has all the tools to be a creative force; pace, he can dribble past his defender, he can hit a killer pass and he can score. Saka is one of England's brightest talents. When all of these players combined aren't making it happen, it can't be just down to the individual quality or loss of form. I'm sure it's something Arteta is looking at, as detail oriented as he is.

I think digging Arteta out for our lack of creativity is harsh. He’s stopped the rot and we are no longer getting hidings. He knows the problem and we are getting linked to all sorts of central midfield players for a reason. There’s no doubt we have an issue in the midfield of the park. I think some of the comment and judgements on players that ignore this

Leno I’m sorry it may not be fashionable to say it because it doesn’t fit the narrative, but he’s a very good keeper.

Pépé, yes on occasion inconsistent but he has a wicked left foot can cross well and score goals. He’s only taking receipt of sideways passes usually that are useless, he needs a quick ball in front of him out of transition that has the opposing full back on his heels.

Tierney, I mean what exactly had he done wrong ? He played most of his games out of position in central defence because of our frailty. He easily looks a better player than Monreal for me.

Willian, you don’t get 70 caps for Brazil being a bad player, sorry you just don’t.

There would be plenty of takers for those 4 trust me. The problem lies in the middle

Post #517482  Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:24 am 

Goonie wrote:
Bernard wrote:
I’d also rather have Pépé than the Mkhitaryan we saw at Manchester United, and Theo for that matter.

Walcott's best season for us was 2012/13. He got 14 goals and 12 assists in the league and 21 goals and 16 assists overall. Would love to see Pépé match or surpass those numbers for us.

Walcott had something Pépé doesn’t though, midfielders like Cesc, Nasri and Santi who could pass progressively so the ball landed in space with open grass ahead of him for him to run into. Pépé and Willian get a sideways pass on the halfway line with ten men behind the ball.

Post #517483  Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:39 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Goonie wrote:

Walcott's best season for us was 2012/13. He got 14 goals and 12 assists in the league and 21 goals and 16 assists overall. Would love to see Pépé match or surpass those numbers for us.

Walcott had something Pépé doesn’t though, midfielders like Cesc, Nasri and Santi who could pass progressively so the ball landed in space with open grass ahead of him for him to run into. Pépé and Willian get a sideways pass on the halfway line with ten men behind the ball.

I thought the same. I saw criticism of Pépé not driving at defenders and beating them with pace and skill but as you said he's usually got 8 defenders in front of him and 40 yards to goal when he receives it. Should he be doing more? probably but attackers sometimes need to be given the right platform to flourish. Moving the ball forward quicker would be a start.

Post #517484  Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:47 am 

socrates wrote:
Hi Bern,

I think its too early to tell with Tierney. I love his attitude, his aggression, his work ethic and his crossing ability. I am not yet convinced he is the best one-v-one fullback I've ever seen though.

Hi socrates. Okay he may not be, to quote you verbatim, “the best one-v-one fullback I’ve ever seen though.” But let’s be realistic in our expectations. Not being as good as Lahm or Maldini is no reason to say it’s “too early to tell with Tierney.”

I have seen nothing about Tierney’s quality as a player to give me any doubts at all about him. If there is a reason to have a doubt, for me the one single concern relates to his injury record.

Post #517485  Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:00 pm 

Rich wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I thought the same. I saw criticism of Pépé not driving at defenders and beating them with pace and skill but as you said he's usually got 8 defenders in front of him and 40 yards to goal when he receives it. Should he be doing more? probably but attackers sometimes need to be given the right platform to flourish. Moving the ball forward quicker would be a start.

I agree that Pépé receiving flat passes isn't helping. I also don't expect him to beat 8 defenders. My point is for all of his supposed pace amd trickery, I've rarely seen him beat one defender.

Post #517486  Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:27 pm 

grantyboy wrote:
Rich wrote:

I agree that Pépé receiving flat passes isn't helping. I also don't expect him to beat 8 defenders. My point is for all of his supposed pace amd trickery, I've rarely seen him beat one defender.

I haven't seen him beat defenders by a push and run, or quick trick, push and run. I have certainly seen him beat plenty of defenders in tight spaces, usually by a dummy or shimmy - Pépé's problem thereafter seems to be either wanting to turn back and beat that defender again, or struggling with the end product once he has got that half a yard.

Post #517487  Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:32 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
The big takeaway league wide for me this weekend is the Pickford tackle on Van Dijk...that someone can look at it, over and over again, from multiple angles, and come to the conclusion it's not a challenge worthy of any punishment is just mind-boggling.
Yes, totally inexplicable.

Post #517488  Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:33 pm 

We may be criticising our creativity and attacking but we've also got the 2nd best defensive record in the league having already travelled to the 2 teams who would likely end up scoring the most goals this season. Still a really tough run of 6 games to come in the league:
Leicester (h)
Man U (a)
Villa (h)
Leeds (a)
Wolves (h)
Spurs (a)

12 points from those 6 games should be the minimum target if we have top 4 aims.

Post #517489  Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:38 pm 

Rich wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Moving Pépé over to the left would also be better as well methinks. All this left footed winger coming in from the right just isn't working for him. A Robben or Waddle he ain't (yet). Get him over to the left and get him running at defenders and getting crosses in to PEA from that flank.

Post #517490  Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:42 pm 

grantyboy wrote:
Rich wrote:

What about his goal againest Sheffield? A one two with Bellerin and he has 2 defenders in stitches. 100% down to him that one.

Post #517491  Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:43 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
Hazuki wrote:
The big takeaway league wide for me this weekend is the Pickford tackle on Van Dijk...that someone can look at it, over and over again, from multiple angles, and come to the conclusion it's not a challenge worthy of any punishment is just mind-boggling.
Yes, totally inexplicable.

Appalling challenge. Should be banned for more than 3 matches. How he can just wipe out a fellow player's entire season and get off without a ban is typical of the FA. And Lanzini gets a yellow for taking his shirt off celebrating his worldy. The FA really are a bunch of clowns, but the ultimate responsibility lies with that imbecile Pickford. Still he said he's sorry so that's OK.

Post #517492  Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:55 pm 

FA still hiding behind the "incident was seen by officials at the time so no further punishment will be handed out" with respect to the Pickford tackle on Van Dijk.
Is football the only sport that does this, nearly every other major sport I know has a proper disciplinary panel that acts in serious cases irrespective of what happened on the pitch.

The FA don't want to undermine the referee by acting over them, but the ref missed it and VAR missed it, by not acting it puts the ref and VAR firmly back in the spotlight. Everyone can see it is a clear red, there must be a 3 game ban.

If the FA and referee's association expect us to swallow it then they need to come out and explain why Pickford's tackle didn't meet the threshold for a red card for serious foul play.

"A tackle or challenge that endangers the safety of an opponent or uses excessive force or brutality must be sanctioned as serious foul play. Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force or endangers the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play."

So come on Mike Riley or The FA, explain what part Pickford didn't meet?

Post #517493  Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:59 pm 

Normally I'd expect to see starts for Kolasinac, Cédric, AMN, Partey, Willock, Elneny, Nketiah, Nelson in the midweek game vs Vienna, but Arteta has played some stronger teams than many would. This is on paper the toughest of our Europa League group gaes so it wouldn't surprise me to see us be quite strong

Post #517494  Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:15 pm 

tomc wrote:
Rich wrote:

Moving Pépé over to the left would also be better as well methinks. All this left footed winger coming in from the right just isn't working for him. A Robben or Waddle he ain't (yet). Get him over to the left and get him running at defenders and getting crosses in to PEA from that flank

What about the cross he did at Wembley last season from the right flank that Aubameyang headed in ?

Or the one againest West Ham away last year from the right flank that got flicked in.

Or the one againest Newcastle at home last year that Aubameyang headed in,

Or,or,or

Does anyone here actually watch Arsenal games ?

Post #517495  Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:28 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
tomc wrote:
Moving Pépé over to the left would also be better as well methinks. All this left footed winger coming in from the right just isn't working for him. A Robben or Waddle he ain't (yet). Get him over to the left and get him running at defenders and getting crosses in to PEA from that flank

What about the cross he did at Wembley last season from the right flank that Aubameyang headed in ?

Or the one againest West Ham away last year from the right flank that got flicked in.

Or,or,or

Keep your wig on pal. I'm just suggsting that it might be an idea to move him across to the left flank where he could prove to be more effective. We all want to see the fella produce more than he is currently doing, notwithstanding the examples you have very kindly provided above.

And yeah I do watch Arsenal matches. Been doing so since 1969.

Post #517496  Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:40 pm 

I’m struggling with Sky’s info. Not clear to me.

I see that the Leicester game is on Sky Box Office (something that I’d normally associate with such as boxing).

As a Sky Sports Subscriber it looks like I have to sign up to the Box Office and then stump up the cash if I want to watch the game. What isn’t at all clear (to me at any rate) is whether I can then watch the game on my TV as I would any other game. Or am I forced into watching it on an iPad app?

Post #517497  Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:04 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Goonie wrote:

On paper, I think the present team can match the 2012/13 one (save for the impressive Cazorla) which finished fourth with 73 points. It's up to Arteta to find the balance between attack and defence. At the moment he's still undecided on his best 11 it seems. Emery managed to get 70 points in his first season, it'd be disappointing if Arteta can't at least match that.

Post #517498  Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:37 pm 

grantyboy wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
Just rewatching the game. In the 41st minute Aguero (who I like as a player) got in a small dispute with the lineswoman about a throw. But what i found very disturbing was that Aguero then touched her around the upper arm or neck. It was not in a threatening manner but I am afraid that is a real no no in my view. Would he have done it to a male and if so it is still wrong. He should face disciplinary proceedings for this. What has also surprised me is the lack of reaction in the UK media.

I don't think Man City are anywhere near the side of 2 years ago but they controlled the game which is a problem. They looked like they were in 2nd gear and if they had to could have lifted. Trying for a result after their last 2 games.

I'm with you and thought the Aguero arm across the shoulder was just creepy. The lineswoman visibly shirked away from it as well which made it look worse.

Agree with you both. Uncomfortable viewing.

Post #517499  Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:42 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
I’m struggling with Sky’s info. Not clear to me.

I see that the Leicester game is on Sky Box Office (something that I’d normally associate with such as boxing).

As a Sky Sports Subscriber it looks like I have to sign up to the Box Office and then stump up the cash if I want to watch the game. What isn’t at all clear (to me at any rate) is whether I can then watch the game on my TV as I would any other game. Or am I forced into watching it on an iPad app?
I'd read a good book instead!

Post #517500  Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:36 pm 

socrates wrote:
dec wrote:
Soc, why are you comparing Pépé to Hazard and peak Giggs? Did you honestly think he would be that good? Taking that approach I would be disappointed in Tierney for not reaching the standards of Ashley Cole or Stuart Pearce.

Hi Dec,

So what were you expecting for £70m, a player who is not even one of the first names on the teamsheet?

Clearly I am not saying he should be as good as those two but I think it was nor unreasonable, given his skillset, to have expected a player in that mould.

Hi Soc,

I think we know at this stage that the transfer fee was inflated...a Raul special. I have been underwhelmed to date but there's no doubt he had a difficult first season, something he admitted himself. It didn't help that Emery's tactics and selections were all over the place and bizarrely when it looked like he was coming into form Dick dropped him. He certainly wasn't a disaster though and has the tools to become a very good player.

As to Giggs or Hazard, I never expected him to be that good or even close really. Hazard is a top 5/6 in the world player.

Post #517501  Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:40 am 

Rich wrote:
We may be criticising our creativity and attacking but we've also got the 2nd best defensive record in the league having already travelled to the 2 teams who would likely end up scoring the most goals this season. Still a really tough run of 6 games to come in the league:
Leicester (h)
Man U (a)
Villa (h)
Leeds (a)
Wolves (h)
Spurs (a)

12 points from those 6 games should be the minimum target if we have top 4 aims.

Leicester win
Man Utd away shock win
Villa home win
Leeds away win
Wolves home win
Spurs away draw

Post #517502  Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:19 am 

Rich wrote:
Leicester (h)
Man U (a)
Villa (h)
Leeds (a)
Wolves (h)
Spurs (a)

I also read somewhere that he has history of doing the same. He did it to Dele Alli amongst others. Mason said it and thinks the guy should be banned before he breaks someone's legs.

Post #517503  Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:44 am 

bubblechris wrote:
Rich wrote:
Leicester (h)
Man U (a)
Villa (h)
Leeds (a)
Wolves (h)
Spurs (a)

I also read somewhere that he has history of doing the same. He did it to Dele Alli amongst others. Mason said it and thinks the guy should be banned before he breaks someone's legs.

What does non sequitur mean?

Post #517504  Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:27 am 

long time gooner wrote:
bubblechris wrote:

If this is a non sequitur post challenge - I will have a go - Martinez must be waiting for the upcoming game. They have only played 4 games but 2 of them will give us a direct comparison by the time we play them - Liverpool and Leicester.

Post #517505  Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:03 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

If this is a non sequitur post challenge - I will have a go - Martinez must be waiting for the upcoming game. They have only played 4 games but 2 of them will give us a direct comparison by the time we play them - Liverpool and Leicester.

Only if it’s raining.

Post #517506  Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:50 am 

long time gooner wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

Only if it’s raining.

It was a lovely backheel. He was awful for the first hour, though.

Post #517507  Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:53 am 

Saw a piece that noted that if Saliba had cost £3m instead of £25m then not many Arsenal fans would be getting frustrated that a 19 year old isn't quite ready for the first team. Saliba is younger than Medley and Ballard who are both on loan.
The shame seems to be that Saliba hasn't gone out on loan if that is what the management think he needs. Also a shame that he's not in the Europa League squad - perhaps because they thought he'd be going on loan - because games against Dundalk and Molde at least would appear to be good games to get him experience.

Post #517508  Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:15 am 

mcquilkie wrote:
long time gooner wrote:
Only if it’s raining.

It's pastry week tonight. Lottie will have to improve on last week.

Post #517509  Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:56 am 

Arsenal, 30 years ago today anyone? No Googling.

Post #517510  Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:02 pm 

tomc wrote:

So 20th October 1990? I’m struggling with this one. Wasn’t the date of our only league defeat that season, was it? Hence Chelsea away?

Post #517511  Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:15 pm 

Bernard wrote:
tomc wrote:

So 20th October 1990? I’m struggling with this one. Wasn’t the date of our only league defeat that season, was it? Hence Chelsea away?

Nope, although we were away on the day.

Post #517512  Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:16 pm 

tomc wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Brawl at Old Trafford?

Post #517513  Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:18 pm 

Rich wrote:
tomc wrote:

Brawl at Old Trafford?

Give that man a Mars Bar :58big-emoticons:

Post #517514  Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:27 pm 

tomc wrote:
mcquilkie wrote:

It's pastry week tonight. Lottie will have to improve on last week.

Red ones are the best.

Post #517515  Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:29 pm 

Rich wrote:
FA still hiding behind the "incident was seen by officials at the time so no further punishment will be handed out" with respect to the Pickford tackle on Van Dijk.
Is football the only sport that does this, nearly every other major sport I know has a proper disciplinary panel that acts in serious cases irrespective of what happened on the pitch.

The FA don't want to undermine the referee by acting over them, but the ref missed it and VAR missed it, by not acting it puts the ref and VAR firmly back in the spotlight. Everyone can see it is a clear red, there must be a 3 game ban.

If the FA and referee's association expect us to swallow it then they need to come out and explain why Pickford's tackle didn't meet the threshold for a red card for serious foul play.

"A tackle or challenge that endangers the safety of an opponent or uses excessive force or brutality must be sanctioned as serious foul play. Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force or endangers the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play."

So come on Mike Riley or The FA, explain what part Pickford didn't meet?

Absolutely. The only thing 'undermining the referee' (and match officials more generally) is this failure to take responsibility. It gives the impression that the whole lot are closing ranks like an unaccountable mafia. Setting match officials up as the 'enemy' undermines them in my view.

Apparent the VAR official is now claiming he/she 'forgot' the rules with the Pickford tackle.

I can only imagines that this is the case with the Mané offside. If there is a frame where some part of Mané's body, feet or head is over the line (and not his elbow or sleeve!) they really need to show it. Otherwise their credibility is rapidly approaching zero.

Post #517516  Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:33 pm 

I read that Van Dijk had only missed 35 minutes of premier league football since he signed for Liverpool and then went off injured at the weekend. Liverpool are now down to their only 2 senior CB's and hoping Fabinho can fill in as well. Testing times for them. I predict we may see less of Robertson and Trent flying so far forward with the loss of Van Dijk.

Post #517517  Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:37 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
tomc wrote:

Or,or,or

No, you are the only one who actually watches, in the deepest sense of taking in every detail and gaining infallible wisdom via the eyes :53big-emoticons:

Post #517518  Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:05 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
grantyboy wrote:

What about his goal againest Sheffield? A one two with Bellerin and he has 2 defenders in stitches. 100% down to him that one.

Yes I know but that is as I mentioned "rare". He also puffed up like peacock after that goal and thought his job for the day was done because he disappeared completely and stopped defending for the remainder. As noted in an earlier post, his workrate was an improvement against Man City so it looks like Arteta is giving him the judge he needs.

Post #517519  Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:12 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
tomc wrote:

Or,or,or

Have you watched any this year, apart from the Sheffield match?

Post #517520  Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:45 pm 

grantyboy wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Or,or,or

Have you watched any this year, apart from the Sheffield match?

Yeah plenty, he’s barely played

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12935, 12936, 12937, 12938, 12939, 12940, 12941 ... 14269  Next