Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:42 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], warrior and 96 guests

Post #488601  Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:05 pm 

Belgium appear well organized initially.

Post #488602  Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:18 pm 

Is Kos still at the club? Perhaps Emery wants to be fair to him. Let him captain the side for the first half of the season, and then sell him in Jan.

Post #488603  Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:21 pm 

A clear sign of how Wenger has weakened the team can be seen from the number of Arsenal players in the World Cup. And look at the number of Spurs players playing in the semis. A huge gulf opened up over the last few seasons.

Post #488604  Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:45 pm 

So much to admire in this game. All the better for the lack of cynical fouls, play-acting and simulation.

Post #488605  Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:54 pm 

gooner7 wrote:
A clear sign of how Wenger has weakened the team can be seen from the number of Arsenal players in the World Cup. And look at the number of Spurs players playing in the semis. A huge gulf opened up over the last few seasons.

Morning G7 ..... Not to fussed about lack of representation I'm more for getting the team to work effectively as a whole rather than have a multitude of big names and in that area Wenger failed dismally .

Get the feeling our 'old boy' Giroud will get a decent chance and bury it .

Post #488606  Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:56 pm 

Good to see open flowing football. Thankfully not a dour pass pass pass game.

Post #488607  Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:59 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

Morning G7 ..... Not to fussed about lack of representation I'm more for getting the team to work effectively as a whole rather than have a multitude of big names and in that area Wenger failed dismally .

Get the feeling our 'old boy' Giroud will get a decent chance and bury it .

Giroud still acts like a pansy

Post #488608  Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:13 pm 

It's fantastic that there is only one 0-0 match in the many matches, thus far.

Post #488609  Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:40 pm 

Come on Belgium!

Post #488610  Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:56 pm 

Giroud must be one of the worst strikers ever in a WC Final, what a clown

Post #488611  Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:56 pm 

gooner7 wrote:
Is Kos still at the club? Perhaps Emery wants to be fair to him. Let him captain the side for the first half of the season, and then sell him in Jan.

Koscielny is still at the club but has a long-term injury. My guess is we won't see much of him this side of Christmas. So I doubt anyone would be willing to pay much for him in January, especially as that will be some months after his 33rd birthday. Might as well keep him, though I'd be less keen on giving him the captaincy. At his peak a fine player, but never captaincy material.

As someone else said. How about breaking with a recent Arsenal tradition and actually give the captaincy to someone who will play?

Post #488612  Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:57 pm 

Better team lost

Post #488613  Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:05 pm 

Well if the script is followed it has to be a France v England final ...... de Gaulle , cheap French apples , a few dozen wars . Plenty of past scores come into play .

Croatia in there will be a bit ho hum ..... except if you are Croatian of course .

Post #488614  Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:07 pm 

Come on England, stop the French

Post #488615  Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:11 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
Well if the script is followed it has to be a France v England final ...... de Gaulle , cheap French apples , a few dozen wars . Plenty of past scores come into play .

Macron, Trudeau with his eyebrows

Post #488616  Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:16 pm 

DHD wrote:
Better team lost

They did. Everything still falling into place for England who, if they beat Croatia, will in my view play the worst team from the other semi-final.

Post #488617  Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:19 pm 

rotterdamnation wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

Macron, Trudeau with his eyebrows

I prefer thinking of fine claret.

Post #488618  Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:24 pm 

Bernard wrote:
DHD wrote:
Better team lost

They did. Everything still falling into place for England who, if they beat Croatia, will in my view play the worst team from the other semi-final.

I disagree, I think France are very strong and willing to work like dogs. And they have enough going forward to trouble anyone. Best team won and I think they'll do so again on Sunday

Post #488619  Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:28 pm 

I thought France were the best side (just) in a game which, by a country mile, was the highest quality one of the competition. The two best teams in the tournament, along with Brazil.

MBappe is electric, Kante is an incredible force of nature, Varane was exceptional.

This WC has been great, except that the best teams unfortunately all ended up on the same side of the draw making it impossible for the two of the three best teams to make the final.

England should beat Croatia but they haven't been tested defensively yet so France would be a big test.

One thing that frustrates me is that Wenger, with all his French connections, was unable to secure the services of any of this talented French bunch except for Giroud.

I'm sure that at some point he could have had Lloris, Kante, Varane, Matuidi, maybe even MBappe who by all accounts could have been ours for £7m three seasons ago.

Post #488620  Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:37 pm 

Thought France deserved to win the game (just about it was tight) with what was a masterclass in shutting out the opposition. Unfortunately it made for a pretty average game though it always remained interesting cos of the quality players on the pitch.

Tomorrow, I make Croatia favourites though I wish you guys the best of luck in advance. Surprised at some of the overconfidence from some, to me Croatia have the better players, particularly in midfield and should win.

England still have an unknown quantity about them though that could surprise... As in all semis, first goal crucial.

I'd have liked to see a Belgium Croatia final as it would be nice to see a first time winner.

Post #488621  Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:05 pm 

John wrote:
I disagree, I think France are very strong and willing to work like dogs. And they have enough going forward to trouble anyone. Best team won and I think they'll do so again on Sunday

France do work hard. I've just got a bad feeling about this World Cup and I'm perhaps looking at everything over-negatively to find reasons why England will win it.

Post #488622  Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:07 pm 

Niall wrote:
Thought France deserved to win the game (just about it was tight) with what was a masterclass in shutting out the opposition. Unfortunately it made for a pretty average game though it always remained interesting cos of the quality players on the pitch.

Tomorrow, I make Croatia favourites though I wish you guys the best of luck in advance. Surprised at some of the overconfidence from some, to me Croatia have the better players, particularly in midfield and should win.

I haven’t seen much over confidence at all I have to say. I think everyone knows Croatia will be a tough proposition and they have 2 absolutely world class midfielders but if you look at their defence man for man and compare it to England’s I think England look more solid and you would take Kane over mandzucic. I’m not saying England will win and think it’s going to be very close but if you are looking at it on paper you wouldn’t be foolish to say England have slightly more top class experience in their 11 and in reserve

Post #488623  Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:13 pm 

rotterdamnation wrote:

I think clown is unfair but his lack of pace is startling but also his lack of killer instinct to start runs earlier near post far post etc. He just hasn’t got it and I’d have took Lacazette on the plane instead of him

Post #488624  Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:15 pm 

Worth noting that De Bruyne has a stinker for Belgium tonight, didn’t show up. Will he get the same treatment Özil regularly gets for a far worse performance than anything Özil did at this World Cup

Post #488625  Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:17 pm 

Maybe Croatia and England will prove me wrong but tonight felt like the final. I can’t see either team beating France however much of love to see England do it

Post #488626  Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:10 am 

socrates wrote:

One thing that frustrates me is that Wenger, with all his French connections, was unable to secure the services of any of this talented French bunch except for Giroud.

I'm sure that at some point he could have had Lloris, Kante, Varane, Matuidi, maybe even MBappe who by all accounts could have been ours for £7m three seasons ago.

I think that's a little unfair ......what's Lacazette then Albanian :laughing7:

Every manager could point to a cartload of what ifs they could have signed . George Graham wanted to sign Roy Keane , think it was George Allison didn't turn up to sign Dennis Law .

Arsen got Henry , Pires , Petit and Vieira four of the best players in the history of Arsenal FC so he didn't do too badly .

The game had moved on , more money , better scouting . In the recent past Arsene wasn't the "only horse in the field" checking out French football .

Post #488627  Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:41 am 

Bernard wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

Koscielny is still at the club but has a long-term injury. My guess is we won't see much of him this side of Christmas. So I doubt anyone would be willing to pay much for him in January, especially as that will be some months after his 33rd birthday. Might as well keep him, though I'd be less keen on giving him the captaincy. At his peak a fine player, but never captaincy material.

As someone else said. How about breaking with a recent Arsenal tradition and actually give the captaincy to someone who will play?

100% agree, he is not captaincy material

Post #488628  Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:36 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
rotterdamnation wrote:

I think clown is unfair but his lack of pace is startling but also his lack of killer instinct to start runs earlier near post far post etc. He just hasn’t got it and I’d have took Lacazette on the plane instead of him

Deschamps gets the best out of him. Go back to the France Australia game and without Giroud the french were very ordinary and not creating much. He is an integral part of the team as defenders have to cover him, he does lay offs and was our best forward for a number of years, although unappreciated by our supporters. Got absolutely screwed on the deal when we sold him We dropped at least 15 mil on that deal so in effect Aubameyang cost us about 83 mil not the 68 quoted.

Not saying Aubameyang is not quality just I wish we had offloaded Wellbeck not Giroud. Mind you Giroud going to Chelsea meant he was still selected for France unlike Lacazette.

Post #488629  Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:29 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Not saying Aubameyang is not quality just I wish we had offloaded Wellbeck not Giroud. Mind you Giroud going to Chelsea meant he was still selected for France unlike Lacazette.

Welbeck is much better for what we need - a player who seems happy with a squad role and can cover multiple positions. Giroud is a striker only, and he wants to be the leading man. Would've been third choice with us. He was with us for more than five years and while he is a really good player, it was obvious we needed to upgrade the position.

Post #488630  Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:52 am 

Hazuki wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

Welbeck is much better for what we need - a player who seems happy with a squad role and can cover multiple positions. Giroud is a striker only, and he wants to be the leading man. Would've been third choice with us. He was with us for more than five years and while he is a really good player, it was obvious we needed to upgrade the position.

My thanks go to Hazuki who has saved me the effort of bothering to write the same thing.

Post #488631  Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:53 am 

There's a leaked video going around of Matteo Guendouzi signing a contract at Arsenal, so while that's not yet officially announced it seems like a done deal. Supposed to be a pretty big talent.

Post #488632  Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:49 am 

Hazuki wrote:
There's a leaked video going around of Matteo Guendouzi signing a contract at Arsenal, so while that's not yet officially announced it seems like a done deal. Supposed to be a pretty big talent.

I've seen it. Wonder why it hasn't been formally announced yet?

There's a similar photo in the Mirror for Greenwood too. But I can't find anything on Arsenal.com about it.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.mirr ... 891894.amp

Post #488633  Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:58 am 

Bernard wrote:

There's a similar photo in the Mirror for Greenwood too. But I can't find anything on Arsenal.com about it.

Perhaps they wanted to put the spotlight on the Torreira signing yesterday? It should be announced today, too much has leaked to put it on hold.

Post #488634  Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:01 am 

Hazuki wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Perhaps they wanted to put the spotlight on the Torreira signing yesterday? It should be announced today, too much has leaked to put it on hold.

I'm sure you're right.

Post #488635  Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:20 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
I haven’t seen much over confidence at all I have to say. I think everyone knows Croatia will be a tough proposition and they have 2 absolutely world class midfielders

Doesn't matter, TG, if you say anything positive about your team's chances or show any enjoyment or excitement about it you are arrogant etc.

The very worst are those who point out a stupid Sun headline and then say they hope England get spanked as if those *%^@ at The Sun have more right to be considered the face of England than, say, the diver who first found the Thai kids or the multiethnic crowds of old people, kids, etc watching on big screens on estates up and down the country.

And then they'll show some morons celebrating badly as if sun + booze + fiesta + youth hasn't always brought out this side of the country since like 1500 or as if every country doesn't have an element of this yobbishness.

Teams that play absolutely filthy, cheat, from countries with disgusting human rights records are given a pass while England are reminded at every opportunity - often by their own self-flagellating middle-class gap year lefties - of their evil imperialist past.

I would say most England fans have a good-humoured approach to our chances and are feeling a bit dizzy even that we have got this far. Most are slightly amazed to be able to find affection for our team and manager again and most would be - pardon the arrogance - delighted and excited to be in the final while conceding that we are not the best team in the tournament by some distance.

Post #488636  Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:26 am 

Hazuki wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

Forgive me for not sharing your and Bernard's enthusiasm for Wellbeck. However the club has a decision to make in relation to him in the next 2 weeks. His contract expires on 30/6/19 so if we are not going to renew his contract we need to sell him in this transfer window, in order to get a return on him. Bit like Ramsay - both may need to be sold probably within the next 3 weeks. The Sanchez issue last season was a mess and given that apparently money is pretty tight at the club we need to cash in on players rather than letting contracts run down. We should get 20mil for Wellbeck. We can still use that money for players,either now or in the next transfer window.

So what do you and Bernard think we should do?

Post #488637  Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:30 am 

I am having to take some deep breaths tonight but whisper it, I want England to win rather than Croatia.

On other things what a great coming together of people from across the globe was the effort that saw the release of Thai soccer team from their cave. To all those brave souls who made this happen - well done. The story of the year.

Post #488638  Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:53 am 

I would normally have wanted England to win, but there's something about this Croatia team I really like. They are resilient, play good football and Modric is a player I wouldn't mind seeing raise the trophy. Sublime player. The winner tonight will be the team I'm hoping wins the whole thing.

Post #488639  Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:04 am 

I make us favourites tonight.

I think Croatia have had some tricky games to navigate and have looked leggy in the last couple of matches. Technically gifted but not great defensively and perhaps not the forwards to complement their excellent midfield. The two lots of extra time have done them no favours either.

By contrast England have had an easier passage thus far and their youth and energy could be the deciding factor.

France, Belgium and Brazil have been the best teams at the tournament but in a one off game against France anything can happen. Especially as you never quite know which France is going to turn up, the one from last night or the one from some of their stodgy earlier games.

Post #488640  Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:15 am 

Hazuki wrote:
I would normally have wanted England to win, but there's something about this Croatia team I really like.

Really, with scumbags like Vida around? Bit of a fascist smell there

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12213, 12214, 12215, 12216, 12217, 12218, 12219 ... 14269  Next