Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:10 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 100 guests

Post #518041  Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:52 pm 

This ref has given 20 fouls against Arsenal players. He’s not given a single free kick against Dundalk. In 90 minutes of football he’s not given one free kick against a team who has barely touched the ball and has defended all game. Needs to be taken off the European ref list that’s shockingly one sided refereeing

Post #518042  Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:53 pm 

dec wrote:
Goonie wrote:
Nelson has been impressive. MOTM?

He and Willock have been very good. Gives Arteta food for thought. Both need a run of games.

Agree, I've been really wanting to see Nelson integrated or at least given a chance, he has real pace, eye for goal and the potential to beat a man.

Post #518043  Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:54 pm 

dec wrote:
Goonie wrote:
Nelson has been impressive. MOTM?

He and Willock have been very good. Gives Arteta food for thought. Both need a run of games.

Would love to see more players from the academy becoming important squad players.

Post #518044  Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:01 pm 

Obviously you have to bear in mind the standard of the opposition but I thought Willock was brilliant tonight.

Post #518045  Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:04 pm 

socrates wrote:
Obviously you have to bear in mind the standard of the opposition but I thought Willock was brilliant tonight.

He was great. He was operating in the final 3rd like any decent midfielder should, also he was prepared to take risks and lose the ball trying to penetrate their penalty area.

We have several midfielders just happy to recycle the ball in midfield so might be worth trying him there a bit more.

Post #518046  Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:16 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
socrates wrote:

He was great. He was operating in the final 3rd like any decent midfielder should, also he was prepared to take risks and lose the ball trying to penetrate their penalty area.

We have several midfielders just happy to recycle the ball in midfield so might be worth trying him there a bit more.

Willock has lovely technique. I could be totally wrong, but I think his biggest difficulty is self-confidence. I'm not sure he has figured out how good he can be.

Post #518047  Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:16 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
socrates wrote:

A stark reminder that central midfielders can dribble, can make surging runs forwards and can get in the opposition box....it is allowed. I'm so tired of the sideways passing and the second half was a breath of fresh air in that repect.

Nelson too, dribbling at pace which is what I have been wanting Pépé to do.

Post #518048  Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:23 pm 

Willock and Nelson both did really well. Credit to Cédric too; felt he had a good game. The keeper had very little to do. But what he did do, he did well.

Disappointing that Balogun showed nothing at all. Youngsters, when they get any sort of chance, have to show at least something might be there. I don’t think Balogun did that.

Post #518049  Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:35 pm 

dec wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Willock has lovely technique. I could be totally wrong, but I think his biggest difficulty is self-confidence. I'm not sure he has figured out how good he can be.

Could tonight be the game where he finally feels he belongs. Sometimes a performance like that is like someone switching on a light.

Post #518050  Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:39 pm 

socrates wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

A stark reminder that central midfielders can dribble, can make surging runs forwards and can get in the opposition box....it is allowed. I'm so tired of the sideways passing and the second half was a breath of fresh air in that repect.

Rosicky and Hleb caused opposition defences a lot of problems and created a lot of openings playing that way. Pity one was always injured and the other left.

Post #518051  Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:41 pm 

Goonie wrote:
socrates wrote:

Rosicky and Hleb caused opposition defences a lot of problems and created a lot of openings playing that way. Pity one was always injured and the other left.

Hleb was one of the best dribblers I've ever seen. It's a shame he couldn't shoot or finish or he could have been a worldbeater.

Post #518052  Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:51 pm 

socrates wrote:
Goonie wrote:

Hleb was one of the best dribblers I've ever seen. It's a shame he couldn't shoot or finish or he could have been a worldbeater.

That was quite a crazy experiment by Wenger - playing three playmakers (Fabregas, Hleb and Rosicky) in the same side.

Post #518053  Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:19 am 

I was very impressed with Nelson, Willock & Elneny.

Good to see Nelson & Willock making quick moves forward with the ball. Would like to see much more of such plays by Arsenal. Both were very confident striding forward. Hope Arteta will let them have more EPL game time.

Elneny is now my preferred choice to Xhaka. His mobility is much needed.

Post #518054  Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:44 am 

Interesting. Thoughts?

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/freddie-ljungberg-arsenal-striker-warning-22907874?fbclid=IwAR1ozeNTt9GitiTpAkUxL2IV8wiWA7eXqfDOomPFvYDiFckhDWfK0a98ZJk
Freddie Ljungberg's comments should have warned Mikel Arteta on Alexandre Lacazette decision

Post #518055  Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:03 am 

I'm grateful they respected my wish for anonymity.

Post #518056  Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:05 am 

They left off the amount of dosh Mustafi and Özil are making. :42laughter:

Post #518057  Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:14 am 

I think this is gorgeous. A bit too much for my subdued dressing style and not really "age appropriate" for me, but lovely nonetheless.

Attachments:

Post #518058  Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:27 am 

Of course last night was against relatively limited opposition but irrespective of that it clearly showed methods to create chances against stubborn packed defences. In these situations you can't always rely on scoring the goal as a team sometimes you need to create the chaos, panic and mistakes in their box to get a lucky break or the ball fall to you. Neither of our first two goals had genuine assists, they were the result of a mistake and a deflection falling the right way. They come about because players were willing to dribble, make a run or shoot in the box. It forces defences to do something other than the shuffling over, closing down and shutting down space drills that teams train day in and day out for to maintain good defensive shape. You need to disturb that shape by making runs, dribbles and forcing them to do something.

Willock and Nelson were the main duo doing this and were the best two players on the park last night. I still wish we could improve the accuracy of our shooting, so many efforts are wild and nowhere near the target.

Post #518059  Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:52 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
I think this is gorgeous. A bit too much for my subdued dressing style and not really "age appropriate" for me, but lovely nonetheless.

Can somebody who isn’t blocked by AG ask where he found this ?

I’ve looked on the club store and can’t find this and I have a son who’s properly into all this type of clobber

Post #518060  Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:36 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

Can somebody who isn’t blocked by AG ask where he found this ?

I’ve looked on the club store and can’t find this and I have a son who’s properly into all this type of clobber

Did an image search and found it here. https://kybershop.com/wp-content/upload ... odie-4.jpg

It's not Arsenal only though, you can get Liverpool, Chelsea etc with same style

There's other sites also that sell the same thing.

Post #518061  Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:34 pm 

socrates wrote:
Goonie wrote:

Its more like he wouldn't shoot ...

Post #518062  Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:51 pm 

Pépé seems like he doesn't have a footballing brain most times. Hoping Arteta can teach him teamwork, decision making and acceptance of his system. Hopefully not end up like an expensive version of Quincy Jamie Owusu-Abeyie, pace, dribbling but really couldn't work within the team concept and bad decision making.

The videos of Pépé before were a lot of individual goals. Perhaps Willian can be an influence in that regards.

Post #518063  Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:37 pm 

Readin online that Huss Fahmy is going to be leaving the club

Post #518064  Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:46 pm 

I'm from a fairly large family, 4 of my older brothers were in the military as well as several cousins. Relatives have been in every conflict since the Korean war, large and small. There is a fairly large age difference from youngest to oldest, my mother getting married late teens and had the last of us near 40. She didn't want me in the military. She said America is always at war and if any of her kids stayed long enough they were in one.
My eldest brother was in Vietnam. I didn't really meet him till Middle School. I was among 3 brothers he heard about but never knew. He told me some stories, said it was cathartic. One of his most prized possessions is a photo he took off of a body of a Viet Cong. Most likely killed by him or a member of his unit in a firefight. He wanted to go back to see if it was possible to locate the family, return it, but he knows it would be too awkward. I have been to Cambodia and Thailand but not to Vietnam...yet. But plan to. I am too curious not to. Strangely too scared to when I was Pnomh Penh. Can't really explain why I was. (I'd have made a terrible soldier).

I had an uncle who was in the Korean war. Lied his age at 16 in 1950. left Tulsa, Oklahoma and joined the military to get out of Oklahoma primarily. He was born at home and the military took birth affidavits. My aunt said he had his first kill before his 17th birthday. I stayed at his home in LA when I first moved there. Every few weeks or so, we were awaken by his shouts. My aunt saying it was one of his nightmares, disregard it. Never really could.

I had an opportunity to go to Annapolis, the US Naval Academy but declined primarily because my mother didn't like the idea and secondly, I wanted the full American college experience of beer, women, fraternity parties. :icon_mrgreen: So, I went to one of the big southern sports schools where every home game in our 90,000 plus stadium was sold out and had been sold out for years like most major college football powers.

I'm sure there are 1000s of such stories from all who were in combat. The stories of humanity are the ones that touch me the most.

Very touching story.

Post #518065  Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:11 pm 

Arteta "I came to the conclusion that we have the respect from other teams for them to do that (the deep block). Now we have to try to change our strategy a little bit and try to train against more certain blocks that I think are going to happen a bit more often. We have made teams think"

Post #518066  Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:31 pm 

I'm pretty apprehensive about the game against Man U, not because I don't think we can't hurt them its more that Man U have a good array of fire power, scoring goals and in confidence, and they are being pretty efficient in front of goal, if they get through they score.

Rashford going up against the right side of our defence doesn't fill me with joy whether Luiz is fit or Mustafi plays.

We probably need to go 5 at the back and invite Man U on to us, it is where they are least comfortable and doesn't give them the space in behind that they crave. If we play deep then we need runners, pace and dribbling. After their midweek performances it would be tempting to play Willock and Nelson who add both of those, but I don't think Arteta will. I think it would be a good time to move Aubameyang central and get AMN in at left-wing back for his pace assuming a back 3 of Mustafi/Gabriel/Tierney. Hopefully Saka is fit as he's one of the few that offers something creative for us. Which means leaving one of Pépé or Willian on the bench and dropping both Lacazetta and Nketiah to the bench, and leaving out Ceballos in all likelihood.

The Ceballos/Partey/Xhaka 3 in midfield didn't work that well against Leicester, all a bit samey, but if we sit deeper it might be more suited to stopping Man U. If we play a midfield 3 it feels like it should be only 2 of them plus Saka

Post #518067  Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:59 pm 

I don't think its a good time to play Man Utd. As if there ever is...lol.. but I mean they have a far more settled side than we do right now. If we 'escape' with a draw, I'll take that right now. That said, I want to hedge that we beat City and 'Pool and played both sides tough in losses. Right now, depends on which Man Utd shows up. My guess is, they will be up for The Arsenal. I've rarely if ever seen them have a bad day at the office against us at OT. The only time I can think of is when we won there in the cup, Giggs missing an open sitter. We won 2-0, didn't have all our 'guns' (no Henry I recall). I think that was the game Becks got a boot to the head from Fergie.

I think the games against the Manchester sides and Liverpool will be much different return fixture. Right now its early days with us and a good side can open us up at this stage. Hoping for the best obviously but a loss won't shock me.

Post #518068  Posted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:14 am 

Rich wrote:
Arteta "I came to the conclusion that we have the respect from other teams for them to do that (the deep block). Now we have to try to change our strategy a little bit and try to train against more certain blocks that I think are going to happen a bit more often. We have made teams think"

Wonderful, we have a coach who "sees things" and adapts. Now we look forward to his action on this. A wonderful change from a past regime which had stubbornly stuck onto ways which were not working anymore.

Post #518069  Posted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:40 am 

<------ This look on our faces.

Post #518070  Posted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:02 pm 

Darn it. I saw on my feed the City game was scoreless and turned to it and 5 minutes later they score. I hate when that happens.

Post #518071  Posted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:04 pm 

RIP Sean Connery. The only real James Bond.

Post #518072  Posted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:22 pm 

Let's see. Great start but let's see.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/harry-kane-tipped-obliterate-premier-22935364
Harry Kane tipped to "obliterate" Premier League record set by Thierry Henry

Post #518073  Posted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:29 pm 

Sky news

Mesut is piggybacking off Marcus Rashfords efforts now. Hmmmn call me a cynic

Post #518074  Posted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:22 pm 

Downing Street delays press conference after getting hit with a single signature petition put together on the internet :laughing7:

Post #518075  Posted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:52 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Sky news

Been going charity work with donations for a lot longer than Rashford. But don’t let the facts get in the way of your dogma.

Post #518076  Posted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:25 pm 

Not a pleasant MOTD tonight. The only three Premier League games today were Man City and Chelsea winning away, and Liverpool winning at home.

Post #518077  Posted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:07 am 

Big game this one. Man U have not won at home in the EPL this season with 2 defeats and a draw. We will see if we have made progress as this is a perfect game for defending and getting them on the break.

Post #518078  Posted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:13 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Sky news

Been going charity work with donations for a lot longer than Rashford. But don’t let the facts get in the way of your dogma.

I’m more than aware of this but the way the sky news piece was created it now seems a massive PR push from Mesuts lot to portray him as a saint. A constant stream of information in the media about Mesut Özil despite him being a footballer who never plays football.

Post #518079  Posted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:15 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

I’m more than aware of this but the way the sky news piece was created it now seems a massive PR push from Mesuts lot to portray him as a saint. A constant stream of information in the media about Mesut Özil despite him being a footballer who never plays football.

Your last point is irrelevant and shouldn't come into it--he's never made himself unavailable for selection. That is his manager's decision. The fact that he isn't getting 15 assists and 10 goals a season doesn't somehow make his previous charity work mere 'piggybacking'.

And why is Özil 'constantly in the media'? Is it "despite" or because he has been frozen out?

Post #518080  Posted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:55 am 

Don't fancy us at all against Utd. Can't honestly remember the last time we played really well. The Cup Final maybe and that was more about doggedly stifling the opposition, who were strangely out of sorts on the day, and taking our limited chances than any great attacking display.

I don't count Dundalk and even then the most encouraging moments came from kids and players who don't normally start.

I am expecting another dogged defensive display today with limited chances for us and the result depending on whether we can take those chances.

If we get tonked I think the pressure will begin to build on Arteta. You can see what he wants to do and where he wants to go but will he be given that kind of time if we remain out of the top 6 for too long?

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12949, 12950, 12951, 12952, 12953, 12954, 12955 ... 14269  Next