Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:47 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 98 guests

Post #505601  Posted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:29 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Perhaps Tottenham could make a bid for Emery. :toothy9:

A double swoop for Emery and Xhaka :8surprise:

It would literally rip the heart of the club

Post #505602  Posted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:16 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
Ramsey puts Wales 1-0 up.

And also 2-0 up.

Obituary columns may be full tomorrow.

Post #505603  Posted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:09 pm 

Wow that came a bit out of the blue, but I'm glad they sacked him, this will well and truly show our board up if Spurs manage to usurp us again in the league and if not then Spurs will have had a poor season (they'll have to to finish below us under Emery!).

I can't believe Mourinho will go there though, they will be on a limited budget and even more so if they are in the EL next season, would be a real change of tactic from him as he is always known as a chequebook manager, which is why I can't see him at Arsenal either.

Anyway I don't really care that much.... Kroenke OUT.

ZZZZ

Post #505604  Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:18 am 

Poch, despite all the talk, nil trophies in a decade of management.
Mourinho (insert big number of trophies) a proven winner for best part of 20 years.
No mystery to Levy's decision.

Post #505605  Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:37 am 

Wilts-Gooner wrote:
Wow that came a bit out of the blue, but I'm glad they sacked him, this will well and truly show our board up if Spurs manage to usurp us again in the league and if not then Spurs will have had a poor season (they'll have to to finish below us under Emery!).

I can't believe Mourinho will go there though, they will be on a limited budget and even more so if they are in the EL next season, would be a real change of tactic from him as he is always known as a chequebook manager, which is why I can't see him at Arsenal either.

Anyway I don't really care that much.... Kroenke OUT.

ZZZZ

Honestly I think they're up *%^@ creek. Pochetino never seemed like he was a huge toxic issue, it seemed like with heavy reliance on a few, admittedly very good, players and with 4* of them leaving on frees this summer I believe, the whole system was creaking. I'm note sure anyone else is going to get a lot more from them. But maybe that's just my view from the outside. Maybe he's totally lost it?

*Eriksson, Alderwierlad, Rose and Vertonghen? All their contracts are up I think??

Post #505606  Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:56 am 

Spurs gets decisive, Arsenal drag their feet .......... typical

Post #505607  Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:56 am 

bubblechris wrote:
Ramsey puts Wales 1-0 up.

And Serge gets a hattrick .... we really lost this one

Post #505608  Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:35 am 

gooner7 wrote:
Spurs gets decisive, Arsenal drag their feet .......... typical

You have to admire the decisiveness from Levy. Even if it is the wrong decision he feels he needs to change it. Identifies the new guy, pulls the trigger and announces it the next day.

Watch Arsenal procrastinate around Emery for another few months believing he’s a guy he clearly isn’t.

Post #505609  Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:41 am 

There’s only one thing that can happen, well there’s two things. It can get worse or it stays the same,” Lee Dixon said on The Season So Far.

“And if it stays the same, either way, he’s not going to be in the job for long.

“It’s like making the same mistake time and time again. At some point you’ve got to go ‘maybe we should do something different’.

“Now what that different is is the board’s decision.

“At the moment the players don’t understand what the manager’s trying to do and the manager hasn’t got the players to do what he wants to do, so something has to change.

“Now whether that’s ‘right, we’ll give you a load of money at Christmas, get some more players’ or we change the manager. I kind of think it’s going to be the latter.

“I don’t want to see anybody lose their job but this is my football club we’re talking about and what I’m seeing now, you cannot game-manage like that. It’s irresponsible.”

Post #505610  Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:13 am 

I don't know whether the decision to sack Pochetinno and replace him with Mourinho is foolhardy or not but at least they have given him long enough to turn things around and secure a top four finish.

It's a pro-active decision in the sense that they could easily have left it until the end of the season to see how things worked out before sacking Poch.

Personally, I'd be happy to take Poch at Arsenal, not that it would ever happen. At least his teams (at their best) play with a certain attacking style and tenacity.

Of course no one knows what has gone on behind the scenes to force the issue but it does seem a big gamble.

Post #505611  Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:21 am 

The Gabriel Martinelli hype train has well and truly left the station.

He has had an amazing start to his Arsenal career, albeit against limited opposition, and I truly hope he is the next big thing in football but until we see him produce against top sides then it is far too early to label him the next Ronaldo or whatever. His blistering start is unsustainable so I hope that when the goals do dry up, as they will at some point, he is given time and space to breathe. He is only 18 after all.

Post #505612  Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:34 am 

I think it's a terrible decision to sack Pochettino and despite all the little rumours and him seeming not to be the happiest bunny recently I honestly didn't think they would sack him.
Yes he didn't win a trophy but he has clearly improved them.
At least it shows guts and balls from spurs to try and salvage their season and change things around while our clueless management waste precious time and plod along with the decent but clueless dead man walking in emery.
What exactly are Edu and Raul seeing that the rest of us can't see.
Its bloody frustrating as we are literally chucking a season still in its infancy down the pan.

Post #505613  Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:39 am 

I wonder how Jose will go down with the Totts supporters who love to preach about the football they play?

Post #505614  Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:07 am 

socrates wrote:
The Gabriel Martinelli hype train has well and truly left the station.

He has had an amazing start to his Arsenal career, albeit against limited opposition, and I truly hope he is the next big thing in football but until we see him produce against top sides then it is far too early to label him the next Ronaldo or whatever. His blistering start is unsustainable so I hope that when the goals do dry up, as they will at some point, he is given time and space to breathe. He is only 18 after all.

I think he looks the real deal but it’s still too early to completely tell.

I remember Aliadere and Denílson looking amazing in some of their early games.

I recall an impressive game in the league cup for Aliadiere and the mirror next day printed a huge picture of him with “HENRY MARK 2” as the headline. Never really happened for him.

Post #505615  Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:12 am 

Gunfire wrote:
I wonder how Jose will go down with the Totts supporters who love to preach about the football they play?

They won’t care if they are winning.

To be honest whilst it seems a regressive move it wouldn’t shock me if Mourinho gets them playing and back in the top 4. He’ll get them tighter with the full backs not bombing forward unless they are behind and more compact away from home.

Spurs are 4/1 to finish in the top 4 with paddy power. A decent bet if your partial to a flutter

The key to us beating them is unleashing Torreira’s unfulfilled potential as a number 10 playmaker.

Post #505616  Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:28 am 

Now it feels weird to watch these teams like Liverpool,Leicester and Tottenham trying to improve themselves and proactively re inventing their set ups yet at Arsenal we are in a permanent state of stasis.

Despite any change of set up, injection of new players, change in tactics we can’t move forward and the hangover from Wengers reign still hangs over us.

Just seems our thinking is regressive and way behind. Emery and the board will rightly get both barrels if we lose one of our next three.

Something has to change

Post #505617  Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:53 am 

There is likely to be fallouts from the Spurs team, come January. May their turmoil continue …………..

Sadly, ours is just as bad, if not worse. Wake up Emery!

Post #505618  Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:58 am 

Gunfire wrote:
Darren wrote:
I actually think the broadband thing is a very contemporary pledge. The internet has become vital for everyone and I think it’s right that everyone should have some kind of access.

I would love a Labour government but not the one currently managed by Corbyn, Milne, Murray, McCluskey. I think Momentum’s influence could have been a force for good but they’re overrun by ideologues. There appears to be an intolerance for moderates and those closer to the centre left. I find it really sad as someone whose politics are on the left.

Customer: Hello is the new nationalised BT?
BT: Yes Comrade what can we do for you?
Customer: Yes I'd like broadband please?
BT: Of course comrade. Thanks to Comrade Corbyn this is now free. You are in the queue and will your broadband installed in 7 years time.
Customer: Er.....isn't that a long wait?
BT: Nonsense comrade! We are on a 4 day week with 3 months holidays so we are going as fast as we can. Power to the people!

Your concerns seem very odd to me.

Firstly, how can you contemplate not voting against the utter disaster that is Johnson?

Secondly voting Labour would hardly be turning power over to the hard left in perpetuity. Even in the unlikely even Labour did get in they wouldn't be able impose the dictatorship of the proletariat overnight, even if they did have a majority which seems far fetched.

Post #505619  Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:05 am 

TH are 11 points off the top 4, effectively 12 points with their goal difference. If Mourinho manages to get them top 4 at the end of the season then fair play to him. Every point dropped just makes it harder. Ditto Arsenal, I don't realistically see us getting top 4 now, whoever is in charge. Around 70 points (based on last sesson) are required to get top 4. That's just over 2 points per game on average for ourselves to reach 70.

Post #505620  Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:23 pm 

The pic of Mourinho with a Tottenham shirt at his unveiling to the media. A humble, thoroughly likeable man finally gets the chance to fulfil a lifelong dream with a club he's always held closer to his heart than any other. How could you not love modern football?

Post #505621  Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:25 pm 

mcquilkie wrote:
The pic of Mourinho with a Tottenham shirt at his unveiling to the media. A thoroughly likeable man finally gets the chance to fulfil a lifelong dream with a club he's always held closer to his heart than any other. How could you not love modern football?

He’s brought with him the cardboard cut out of himself he used to keep in his chelsea office.

He was destined to be Tottenham manager

Post #505622  Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:50 pm 

Ash wrote:
*Eriksson, Alderwierlad, Rose and Vertonghen? All their contracts are up I think??

Rose is up in 18 months, he's said he will leave on a bosman - and the other 3's inaction on their contracts would indicate the same. It will be interesting if a change in manager can convince any to extend their deal. Even if they give them a 1 year deal and a big bonus in order to protect their value but promise to sell them in the summer. It means the players could lose out on their contracts at their next club as the buying club will have to pay a fee.
Or do some of those players get sold in January for modest fees just to recoup something. I can see Eriksen being sold in Jan.
It is 4 big players to lose for free when you've just spent all your money on a £1billion stadium

Post #505623  Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:05 pm 

socrates wrote:

Personally, I'd be happy to take Poch at Arsenal, not that it would ever happen. At least his teams (at their best) play with a certain attacking style and tenacity.

I was about to pose this question. I would take Poch if Rodgers isn't available, when or if its time to sack Emery if he doesn't turn things around.

Post #505624  Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:13 pm 

Just imagine the stick Jose will get from Chelsea as well as us. He's not well liked. Also, it shows you just how low his stock has dropped. Jose used to be one of those coaches who would only go to the very best clubs. He fails here, he'll be a 2nd tier manager (the Dortmunds, Ajaxs, Sevillas of the world).

One of his biggest problems is keeping Kane, Alli, Rose and others. Players talk. They know about his reputation for belittling players. The word is out on him and it's not good.

Poch has had a tough run but truth is the league cup, arguably the easiest of the domestic cups, has become very difficult to win. In the last 6 years only 2 clubs outside the top 6 have gotten to the final. The FA cup fared better in terms of diversity but its still a very tough competition to win. Poch can be forgiven not to win a cup given the league as it stands now. Getting to the CL final is a massive achievement.

He won't stay out of work long.

Post #505625  Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:25 pm 

There are a few things about our near neighbours' current situation that don’t make immediate sense.
- Poch had 3.5 years left on a very expensive contract, as had his lieutenants. That is a positive shit-load of compensation – seriously un-sperzy!
- Mourinho runs on money – shit-loads of it for him and even more for his transfer habit – again, seriously un-sperz!
- Why wait until the second week of the interlull? If it were done, t’were best done last Monday.
- Poch has made it known that few if any of the club purchases in the close season were with his agreement. They weren’t cheap either. How does that happen?
- Mourinho is coming in as Chief Coach rather than a Manager so presumably, transfers will be outside of his remit as well. That sounds like a recipe for discontent from day one.
- Where the hell is Sessegnon? What about that lad they bought from Leeds – Clarke? - who was immediately loaned straight back but hasn’t since had a single game for them. Very odd.
- My sperz mates suggest that both Aldeweireld and Vertonghen have suddenly got old and injury prone together, hence the lack of interest in the transfer market – but they’re only 30 and 32?
- Why is nobody interested in Eriksen? By any standards, he’s a very decent player but even at a knock-down price, not a sniff. Why?

Not that I give the arse of a rat about any of the above, but odd things are happening at the lane that time forgot - the ground where I have seen us lift two (count them) league winning trophies!

Post #505626  Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:30 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Also, it shows you just how low his stock has dropped. Jose used to be one of those coaches who would only go to the very best clubs. He fails here, he'll be a 2nd tier manager (the Dortmunds, Ajaxs, Sevillas of the world).

Can’t one say the exactly the same of Emery, who you keep supporting?

Post #505627  Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:46 pm 

DHD wrote:
There are a few things about our near neighbours' current situation that don’t make immediate sense.
- Poch had 3.5 years left on a very expensive contract, as had his lieutenants. That is a positive shit-load of compensation – seriously un-sperzy!
- Mourinho runs on money – shit-loads of it for him and even more for his transfer habit – again, seriously un-sperz!
- Why wait until the second week of the interlull? If it were done, t’were best done last Monday.
- Poch has made it known that few if any of the club purchases in the close season were with his agreement. They weren’t cheap either. How does that happen?
- Mourinho is coming in as Chief Coach rather than a Manager so presumably, transfers will be outside of his remit as well. That sounds like a recipe for discontent from day one.
- Where the hell is Sessegnon? What about that lad they bought from Leeds – Clarke? - who was immediately loaned straight back but hasn’t since had a single game for them. Very odd.
- My sperz mates suggest that both Aldeweireld and Vertonghen have suddenly got old and injury prone together, hence the lack of interest in the transfer market – but they’re only 30 and 32?
- Why is nobody interested in Eriksen? By any standards, he’s a very decent player but even at a knock-down price, not a sniff. Why?

Not that I give the arse of a rat about any of the above, but odd things are happening at the lane that time forgot - the ground where I have seen us lift two (count them) league winning trophies!

What’s that you say DHD?

You’ve seen us lift two (count them) league winning trophies at the Lane that time forgot? Two? The same number as the TOTAL number of league titles that they have won? Ever?

Post #505628  Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:44 pm 

Thinking of when I got my first shirt.

Thought I looked like Jon Sammels in it. No idea why.

https://youtu.be/RMnrxFQebAg

Post #505629  Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:47 pm 

DHD wrote:

With regards to the money they have to pay out, I'd also add Mourinho doesn't come cheap. I wonder if they approached Wenger just to take the piss? Sperz moving into a new stadium, etc, and its traditional wisdom money is tight the first few years.
I'd take a chance on Vertonghen if he came cheap. I'd rather us spend big on CBs but if we won't, then he's not too bad.
To be fair to Mourinho, he has managed a team with a budget successfully (Porto) but its been so long, I'm not sure he can recreate the magic.

Post #505630  Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:57 pm 

john1 wrote:

What’s that you say DHD?

You’ve seen us lift two (count them) league winning trophies at the Lane that time forgot? Two? The same number as the TOTAL number of league titles that they have won? Ever?

To be absolutely fair to our imbecile neighbours, they have a pretty impressive array of other major silverware. See below if you don't believe. They have been (joint) winners of The Ipswich Hospital Charity Cup - oh yes. One can only guess at the opposition in the Costa Del Sol Tournament - but a trophy is a trophy and must NOT be sniffed at.

Southern League Champions: 1899/1900
Western League Champions: 1903/1904
London League Premier Division Champions: 1902/1903
Football League South 'C' Division Champions: 1939/1940
Football League South Champions: 1943/1944, 1944/1945
Southern District Charity Cup Winners: 1901/1902, 1904/1905 (joint), 1906/1907
Dewar Shield Winners: 1901/1902, 1933/1934
London Challenge Cup Winners: 1910/1911, 1928/1929
Anglo-Italian League Cup-Winners Cup Winners: 1971/1972
Norwich Charity Cup Winners: 1919/1920
Norwich Hospital Charity Cup Winners: 1946/1947, 1949/1950 (joint)
Ipswich Hospital Charity Cup Winners: 1951/1952 (joint)
Costa Del Sol Tournament Winners: 1965, 1966
Nolia Cup (Sweden) Winners: 1977
Japan Cup Winners: 1979
Sun International Challenge Trophy (Swaziland) Winners: 1983
Peace Cup (Korea) Winners: 2005
Vodacom Challenge (South Africa) Winners: 2007
Feyenoord Jubileum Tournament (Holland) Winners: 2008
Barclays Asia Trophy (China) Winners: 2009

Post #505631  Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:23 pm 

Maureen at Spurs - don't mind admitting it's got me a little worried. Please God it doesn't go well, because if it does we're in for a lot of pain.

Post #505632  Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:49 pm 

Thank you Levy - in one go you have reminded us all of the lack of class at Tottenham, but more importantly have ensured that turd Mourinho will not be deposited in our part of North London.

As for Poch, yes it would be very droll to have him at Arsenal, but let the head rule the heart so that we can find an experienced manager who has won some big trophies.

Post #505633  Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:53 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
Maureen at Spurs - don't mind admitting it's got me a little worried. Please God it doesn't go well, because if it does we're in for a lot of pain.
He'll very likely win them a trophy ,and then it will end in tears, as it often does with him.
As Martial wrote, a skunk must be itself.

Post #505634  Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:23 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:
He'll very likely win them a trophy ,and then it will end in tears, as it often does with him.
As Martial wrote, a skunk must be itself.

I have to say that I was just relieved that he would not be coming to us.

Post #505635  Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:37 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
Thank you Levy - in one go you have reminded us all of the lack of class at Tottenham, but more importantly have ensured that turd Mourinho will not be deposited in our part of North London.

As for Poch, yes it would be very droll to have him at Arsenal, but let the head rule the heart so that we can find an experienced manager who has won some big trophies.

What "experienced manager who has won some big trophies" would come to a club that has such limited ambition?.

I'd take Eddie Howe right now because if people think we're getting the likes of Allegri, Nagelsmann or Ten Haag then I think they are in lala land.

Anyway, Kroenke OUT.

What else is there to add?.

Boring, boring Arsenal.

Post #505636  Posted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:17 pm 

The Arsenal is only attractive to a manager who has ambitions of adding a top 6 club to his CV. Agree that Allegri and company wouldn't come to us unless their money is running low and need a stop gap job.

Post #505637  Posted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:05 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
The Arsenal is only attractive to a manager who has ambitions of adding a top 6 club to his CV.

Ya know, maybe I could do it then ?

I would love to add a top 6 club to my CV and I have ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA how to run an English football team.

Surely I'd be a shoe-in for the job, or perhaps I'm over qualified ?

Post #505638  Posted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:58 am 

Get em out. A microcosm of Brexit thinking

https://twitter.com/g_gosden/status/119 ... 98720?s=21

Post #505639  Posted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:45 am 

old man of hoy wrote:

I agree completely on Mourinho.

However, I think Poch would be ideal for Arsenal. The fact that he hasn't actually won anything with Spurs really doesn't matter. He knows the PL and he knows how to get a team to play effective and attractive football. He'd be very hungry to prove the lad from the lane wrong. He's also not an a****** which still means something!

Post #505640  Posted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:39 am 

Finally, will get to see Arsenal play again. Will Emery change it into a more exciting play? Please make some changes because it is getting so boring with the slow-mo and toothless attacking plays. You have had 2 weeks to reflect, review the opposition, review the strengths of your players, and finally, to suss out any stupidity of your tactical thinking (hint: playing out of our own area).

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12638, 12639, 12640, 12641, 12642, 12643, 12644 ... 14269  Next