Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:08 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Googlebot, gooner7, warrior and 130 guests

Post #517241  Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:29 am 

Congrats to the LA Lakers and LeBron 'King' James on winning a title with 3 different sides. The man is a consummate pro. I've read he spends 2 million dollars a year on his fitness. Fitness coaches, equipment, food and supplements, etc. Family man who married his HS sweetheart, one and only love.

Post #517242  Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:47 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Congrats to the LA Lakers and LeBron 'King' James on winning a title with 3 different sides. The man is a consummate pro. I've read he spends 2 million dollars a year on his fitness. Fitness coaches, equipment, food and supplements, etc. Family man who married his HS sweetheart, one and only love.

Amazing feat to win with three different teams.

Post #517243  Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:57 am 

The real ineptitude in all of this is the abject failure of implementing a functioning track and trace system as per the rest of europe until two weeks ago. And even then it's still deeply flawed. the countries who are emerging quickest from this phase of the virus are those who imposed stricter lockdowns at the start and then had a fully functioning track and trace. And once the advisor-in-chieft to Boris goes on a 60 mile round trip jolly whilst infectious, without consequence or retribution, you can't then blame the public for putting two fingers up to those in power. We're told to get back to work, to eat out to help out, then told we're to blame for the virus spreading. It's a clown car of policies at the moment.

The ineptitude shown throught this entire crisis should result in criminal charges, especially when it comes to handing out the contracts to newly formed companies with no track record in PPE who suddenly are awarded multi million pound deals for such equipment. Oh, look they're also mates of the cabinet and Tory donors too. Funny that.

And don't get me started on the irony of those worrying about the economy crashing when they voted for Brexit.

Post #517244  Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:57 am 

Rich wrote:
I think there is a difference between the ability to cover large distances in a match and mobility. If a player just jogged non stop all game he'd likely cover the most distance of any player on the pitch, I see mobility as a more short distance thing, being able to get to the right position quick enough, it isn't necessarily to do with pace for me it is about being almost light on your feet and quickly covering space and danger. Xhaka doesn't have that mobility in a way that someone like Kante has

Well I’ve never noticed Xhaka jog around the pitch aimlessly. I accept what you say about getting in the right position quick enough, and that may not be down to having great pace. But I think Xhaka does play the game with a degree of intelligence, getting himself generally into the right position even though he has made silly tackles when in the right position.

But I do feel Xhaka is more mobile than some give him credit for. If he plays with a decent level of intelligence, and I believe he does, and he’s near the top for ground covered, there surely has to be some sort of link between mobility and distance ran?

It’ll be interesting to see what becomes Arteta’s first choice midfield with Partey here. I can see all of Partey, Xhaka and Ceballos getting plenty of game time in the same team.

Post #517245  Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:08 am 

Congrats to England on a huge win. I used to have a soft spot for the England side. I definitely think the English players have benefited from so many highly skilled, top level non British players in the league over the last decade or two. It has not only increased the skill level of the players playing against and training with these top players but also has removed any fear factor. The increase of skillful, not UK players in the lower divisions has helped immensely as well.

I also hear that Liverpool and Man Utd are leading a 'palace revolt' of sorts with regards to the PL. I am not sure I fully understand it but I hear the gist of it is so that the top sides have more of a say than previously. Not sure how I feel about that if that's the intention. Maybe I understand it incorrectly.

Post #517246  Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:10 am 

Bernard wrote:
It’ll be interesting to see what becomes Arteta’s first choice midfield with Partey here. I can see all of Partey, Xhaka and Ceballos getting plenty of game time in the same team.

Under Arteta, it does strongly look as we're a better side with Xhaka in the line up. We look better organised.

Post #517247  Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:19 am 

Darren wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

You were wrong though not right,

You said 2000 people would die if we just let it run it’s course. 42,000 have at this stage with measures, the death toll would have been hundreds of thousands if we had listened to people like you or Boris continued with his ridiculous herd immunity anyway.

What do you classify as as a geriatric? It kills people in their 40S and 50s too even if it is less frequently? You ok with that.

You do know that even if you scrapped the measures completely many people and companies would continue to observe remote working strategies, people hold a higher moral compass than yourself dude.

Looking forward to laughing at the announcement later when a new lockdown is announced and the gammonatti lose the plot again. Why can’t you lot be normal.

The real ineptitude in all of this is the abject failure of implementing a functioning track and trace system as per the rest of europe until two weeks ago. And even then it's still deeply flawed. the countries who are emerging quickest from this phase of the virus are those who imposed stricter lockdowns at the start and then had a fully funtioning track and trace. And once the advisor-in-chieft to Boris goes on a 60 mile round trip jolly whilst infectious, without consequence or retribution, you can't then blame the public for putting two fingers up to those in power. We're told to get back to work, to eat out to help out, then told we're to blame for the virus spreading. It's a clown car of policies at the moment.

The ineptitude shown throught this entire crisis should result in criminal charges, especially when it comes to handing out the contracts to newly formed companies with no track record in PPE who suddenly are awarded multi million pound deals for such equipment. Oh, look they're also mates of the cabinet and Tory donors too. Funny that.

And don't get me started on the irony of those worrying about the economy crashing when they voted for Brexit.

Don’t know if it’s true but I read the Irish trace system cost 800k euros and works well and ours cost something like 12 billion and is all over the place.

The people in power on our side are just compromised aren’t they ? Handing out money to people they owe favours to or political capital. There’s a certain amount of this with politics and even Blair handed out big contracts to serco etc but this is next level corruption

Meanwhile the Daily Mailers have their heads populated with nonsense to divert from the obvious. BBC panaorma does an expose showing that the largest political donor in British history is now Putin yet the next day press continue harping on about people in dinghys.

Post #517248  Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:22 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Meanwhile the Daily Mailers have their heads populated with nonsense to divert from the obvious. BBC panaorma does an expose showing that the largest political donor in British history is now Putin yet the next day press continue harping on about people in dinghys.

Exactly. We are 100% played when it comes to the news we are fed.

Post #517249  Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:24 am 

Darren wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Under Arteta, it does strongly look as we're a better side with Xhaka in the line up. We look better organised.

I kind of agree but I’ll say I thought it was telling Arteta hooked him in the Liverpool match shortly after half time as they were running rings around our midfield and I thought it was a penny drop moment for Arteta realising Xhakas lack of mobility isn’t great.

Post #517250  Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:29 am 

warrior wrote:
Quote:
Wenger did sound a note of caution though, he added: “Players have lost their technical quality over the past 10 years.

And during most of that 'past 10 years', he was in charge.

Sacrilege! Sell all your worldly possessions and give them to the poor (PM me if you have any 55 inch tvs) and make the long journey to Islington on foot to burn incense, fast and pay homage at the foot of the statue of Arsene Wenger. :9adore-boo:

You, apostate, you!

Post #517251  Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:33 am 

Bernard wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
That’s strange you say that because if I recall the stats are he covers a lot of klms per game. In fact in January I think there was a report that he covered more ground in the game against United than any other Arsenal player and I think this is not a one off.

In 2017 the top two Arsenal players for average kilometres per game were Monreal and Xhaka. But don’t you criticise Xhaka’s lack of mobility?

Good on your for cherry picking a season. Take much research. I have never suggested Xhaka may not cover some distance. The problem is he does it slowly. Not good enough if you want to dine at the top table.

Post #517252  Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:35 am 

Goonie wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

Sorry Goonie - care factor is very low.

Post #517253  Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:04 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Goonie wrote:

:laughing7: Same

Post #517254  Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:16 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Bernard wrote:
In 2017 the top two Arsenal players for average kilometres per game were Monreal and Xhaka. But don’t you criticise Xhaka’s lack of mobility?

Good on your for cherry picking a season. Take much research. I have never suggested Xhaka may not cover some distance. The problem is he does it slowly. Not good enough if you want to dine at the top table.

Well you were cherry picking too. You even mentioned a single game.

Post #517255  Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:34 am 

Ash wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

:laughing7: Same

I guess nobody else here is impressed Nadal winning the French Open (again) either.

Post #517256  Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:19 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:
I think there is a difference between the ability to cover large distances in a match and mobility. If a player just jogged non stop all game he'd likely cover the most distance of any player on the pitch, I see mobility as a more short distance thing, being able to get to the right position quick enough, it isn't necessarily to do with pace for me it is about being almost light on your feet and quickly covering space and danger. Xhaka doesn't have that mobility in a way that someone like Kante has

Well I’ve never noticed Xhaka jog around the pitch aimlessly. I accept what you say about getting in the right position quick enough, and that may not be down to having great pace. But I think Xhaka does play the game with a degree of intelligence, getting himself generally into the right position even though he has made silly tackles when in the right position.

But I do feel Xhaka is more mobile than some give him credit for. If he plays with a decent level of intelligence, and I believe he does, and he’s near the top for ground covered, there surely has to be some sort of link between mobility and distance ran?

I think the criticism of mobility is more the type of holding midfielder Xhaka is. He isn't the terrier type scampering round covering short distances and putting out fires. I do agree that he has decent enough tactical and positional intelligence and has shown himself quite adept at fitting in very well with a variety or tactical tweaks from the manager. Where he has always let himself down is his urge to pull someone back or dive in, he doesn't seem to be the best tackler and gets dribbled past too much, leading to those silly fouls. Currently he's still in Arsenal's best 11.

Post #517257  Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:22 pm 

Not sure if anyone has noticed Partey's stats for Ghana. He has a 1 in 3 goals to games ratio and generally plays a bit further forward, sometimes in a behind the striker position.
Partey made his name playing as a more defensively minded midfielder in a very strict and defensive system employed by Simeone at Atletico. I've read a few people say that perhaps he may be released a bit more at Arsenal and are confident of his abilities going forward.
On the face of things a very, very good signing as a CM who can play on his own as a def-mid, as a pair in a double pivot, or as a box-to-box. I'm really looking forward to seeing him play for us.

Post #517258  Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:00 pm 

America has made a bit of a mess of its professional leagues and are exporting the 'money over sport' mindset to football.
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/54505270

Post #517259  Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:12 pm 

One of my favorite all time sketches from Saturday Night Live. Alec Baldwin does an eerily good Robert De Niro. The Joe Pesci impression is spot on as well.

Post #517260  Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:29 pm 

These days I have a bit of trouble doing up my shoe laces and running for a bus. A potentially calamitous combination. To quote the incomparable Shania, the way some folk go on about certain footballers' lack of mobility, don't impress me much.

Post #517261  Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:30 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
One of my favorite all time sketches from Saturday Night Live. Alec Baldwin does an eerily good Robert De Niro. The Joe Pesci impression is spot on as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6QdfFInSt0

Post #517262  Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:01 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
These days I have a bit of trouble doing up my shoe laces and running for a bus. A potentially calamitous combination. To quote the incomparable Shania, the way some folk go on about certain footballers' lack of mobility, don't impress me much.

Xhaka: Mikel I’m worried, if people use their legs fast, I can’t catch them, am I... slow??

Arteta: Come here, don’t worry, the measure is, always has been and always will be, so long as you can outpace OMOH, who as far as we can ascertain went to school with Moses when schoolboy entry was but a few shekels, you’re fine.

Xhaka: Ah good I thought so.

Post #517263  Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:13 pm 

Good effort omoh. All modesty aside, my cockney and Liverpool impressions fools most non Brits.

Post #517264  Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:45 pm 

Uh oh more restrictions announced by Boris.

He’s gonna get hit by another single signature petition in a matter of days now :laughing7:

Post #517265  Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:21 pm 

Just before the 3 minute mark is Arteta.

Post #517266  Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:16 pm 

If you dont think speed and agility are required in the middle of a modern day midfield then I’d have to suggest you couldn’t have ever witnessed Patrick Vieira play football.

Post #517267  Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:28 am 

Goonie wrote:

I guess nobody else here is impressed Nadal winning the French Open (again) either.

Even though he was favored to win, I wasn't so sure. He's making an argument for himself as the best ever.
As for LeBron James, 4 titles, 3 different teams, 4 NBA finals MVP. Only Jordan has won that award more times.

Another thing toda is that the American pro sports are now fans of football and visa versa. Some have met but they are fans of each other. LeBron is a Liverpool fan. A number of athletes have favorite football teams and favorite players.

Becks took the number 23 with the LA Galaxy in homage to Michael Jordan. Messi, Ronald, Neymar are pretty much household names with sports fans in the states. That (football stars) would not have been so 30 years ago.

Post #517268  Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:02 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
I know it seems strange to discuss our new signing on this Özil forum, but I have been thinking about how he will fit in.

At the onset I must say I am surprised as he does not seem to be the creative midfielder we were requiring. Partey appears to perfect for Xhaka position. He is more mobile and can break forward if required with an ability to beat players. All the things Xhaka lacks. Mind you Partey will need to hit the ground running. His age means that it will be difficult to make money on him which was supposed to be our objective as a club.

I would have thought we should go back to 4 at the back, getting rid of Luiz and use a combination of Elneny, Saka, Cellabos, M-N and Pépé to make up the midfield. Personally I would like us to try 442 or 451 as tactics but that doesn’t appear to be the modern way.

I have long been of the opinion that What Xhaka lacks requires other players to try and cover him. If Arteta intends to slide Partey in beside Xhaka I don’t understand how this would work and increase our creativity. Looking with interest at our next games.

Since everyone agrees with me on Özil I'll stop talking about it. :laughing7:

From the 5 mins I've séen I think Partey would be good in front of the defense in a 4-1-2-3 formation. It could be argued that Xhaka could play at the base of midfield for his long passing but he's not the guy I'd want there as the last resort in front of the defense.

Post #517269  Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:16 am 

Rich wrote:
I saw Wenger’s quotes about the technical skill diminishing in footballers with more of a focus on physical attributes. I think he’s right and the evidence can be seen in the Premier League with the number of teams whose biggest threat is the counter attack or their biggest weakness is the counter attack.
City and Liverpool are both vulnerable to the counter
Arsenal under Arteta have used it as a great tactic, Spurs with quick forwards do it well and Man U’s good results at the back end of last year came from quick counters.
Even further down the league, Leicester have done it for years, wolves have had success with it and more and more teams are working towards this tactic, especially coupled with a high press. Southampton, Brighton, Leeds, villa all go for this tactic.
I wonder where this goes because we could get to a point where neither team actually wants the ball

Passes over the top seems to be pretty effective as Liverpool just found out. :1laughter:

Post #517270  Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:31 am 

A married Irishman went into the confessional and said to his priest, 'I almost had an affair with another woman.'

The priest said, 'What do you mean, almost?'

The Irishman said, 'Well, we got undressed and rubbed together, but then I stopped.'

The priest said, 'Rubbing together is the same as putting it in. You're not to see that woman again. For your penance, say five Hail Mary's and put $50 in the poor box.'

The Irishman left the confessional, said his prayers, and then walked over to the poor box.

He paused for a moment and then started to leave.

The priest, who was watching, quickly ran over to him saying, 'I saw that. You didn't put any money in the poor box!'

The Irishman replied, 'Yeah, but I rubbed the $50 on the box, and according to you, that's the same as putting it in!'

Post #517271  Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:07 am 

Rich wrote:
Not sure if anyone has noticed Partey's stats for Ghana. He has a 1 in 3 goals to games ratio and generally plays a bit further forward, sometimes in a behind the striker position.
Partey made his name playing as a more defensively minded midfielder in a very strict and defensive system employed by Simeone at Atletico. I've read a few people say that perhaps he may be released a bit more at Arsenal and are confident of his abilities going forward.
On the face of things a very, very good signing as a CM who can play on his own as a def-mid, as a pair in a double pivot, or as a box-to-box. I'm really looking forward to seeing him play for us.

Interesting. The word on him was how strong he was defensively in the middle of the pitch. If he can add goals, its gravy. Didn't know it was part of his game.

I always thought Gilberto Silva should have been a bit more aggressive once in a while on attack. i recall early on he scored one of the fastest goals ever in the CL. And I think he captained a league cup side of young players where he took on a leadership role and added goals in a tie that had several goals scored by each side if my memory serves me right (and it often fails me). Vieira would add in a goal once in a while. One of my favorites was a sublime pass from Bergkamp (are you watching Özil? :icon_mrgreen: ) that cemented our invincible season.

Anyway, I'm sure Arteta knows this about Partey and it will be interesting to see how he is deployed. We'll likely see him push a bit forward if we are behind and in need of a goal.

I'm cautiously (must manage expecatations) optimistic about us going forward.

Post #517272  Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:10 am 

If Arteta can manage a league title in the next half dozen years I'd consider him a huge success. FA and league cups are definitely within our range. If we get into the CL again, even another final if the stars align in group and knockout phase.

I can see us getting to the semis or finals of the Europa cup but we may only have a year or two chance of it, assuming we meet our goals and get into the CL proper.

Post #517273  Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:11 am 

...oh, and I want us to beat Mourinho in a league match. Preferably away.

Post #517274  Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:34 am 

Darren wrote:
The real ineptitude in all of this is the abject failure of implementing a functioning track and trace system as per the rest of europe until two weeks ago. And even then it's still deeply flawed. the countries who are emerging quickest from this phase of the virus are those who imposed stricter lockdowns at the start and then had a fully funtioning track and trace. And once the advisor-in-chieft to Boris goes on a 60 mile round trip jolly whilst infectious, without consequence or retribution, you can't then blame the public for putting two fingers up to those in power. We're told to get back to work, to eat out to help out, then told we're to blame for the virus spreading. It's a clown car of policies at the moment.

[/quote]

Darren track and trace will never work properly because a lot of people won't use the app or respond to requests. If there is not a majority better still everyone using it how can it work?

The only place it works is where it is enforced and everyone has to use it as in Taiwan, Singpore, Korea etc.

It doesn't work well afaik in Europe with the exception of Germany where the majority do as they are told.

Post #517275  Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:21 pm 

I can see football hitting big trouble with Covid right now.

It was ‘okay’ when leagues were on best behaviour and in controlled bubbles, and when the final stages of the European competitions were completed in a single location.

Now that we have such as internationals with individual players going everywhere I can only imagine the latent problem bursting out again. To a small degree we’ve seen this with Tierney.

Cycling is hitting just that problem. They scraped through and managed to finish the Tour de France but the (less controlled) 3 week Giro D’Italia has major problems at the moment. Two complete teams and a few other individuals have had to pull out today. It looks like the whole event will be canned well before the planned end in nearly two weeks time.

Post #517276  Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:24 pm 

In 8 months time Özil, Luiz, Mustafi and Sokratis will be out of contract. That would represent a weekly wage saving in the region of around £750k a week or £39m for the season. Which in theory allows you to buy a £30m player and stick him on £150k per week and you'd cover the same cost in just 1 season and still have the £600k per week in wages to spend elsewhere. We have a crazy amount of money tied up in players who will contribute very little this season.

Chambers, Kolasinac, Lacazette, Nketiah and Elneny can all go for free in 2022.

When you see Rhian Brewster move for £23m this year it would be crazy to yet again lose so many players for free - I can understand it on mistakes like Kolasinac who are difficult to shift based on their wages to talent ratio - but Nketiah particularly carries plenty of value that must either be protected or sold.

Post #517277  Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:01 pm 

long time gooner wrote:

It was ‘okay’ when leagues were on best behaviour and in controlled bubbles, and when the final stages of the European competitions were completed in a single location.

Now that we have such as internationals with individual players going everywhere I can only imagine the latent problem bursting out again. To a small degree we’ve seen this with Tierney.

Cycling is hitting just that problem. They scraped through and managed to finish the Tour de France but the (less controlled) 3 week Giro D’Italia has major problems at the moment. Two complete teams and a few other individuals have had to pull out today. It looks like the whole event will be canned well before the planned end in nearly two weeks time.

Ireland were missing 5 players for their game against Wales on Sunday. One was a positive test and the other 4 were due to close contact.

Post #517278  Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:04 pm 

dec wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

Ireland were missing 5 players for their game against Wales on Sunday. One was a positive test and the other 4 were due to close contact.

Yes. The more rotation and exposure the worse it’s going to become. Football may be ‘fake’ in some eyes but at least it’s there and about the only thing keeping me sane right now.

Post #517279  Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:12 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Football may be ‘fake’ in some eyes but at least it’s there and about the only thing keeping me sane right now.

Can’t you take up sowing?

Post #517280  Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:22 pm 

Bernard wrote:
long time gooner wrote:
Football may be ‘fake’ in some eyes but at least it’s there and about the only thing keeping me sane right now.

Can’t you take up sowing?

...wild oats?

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12929, 12930, 12931, 12932, 12933, 12934, 12935 ... 14269  Next