Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:06 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 101 guests

Post #501241  Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:52 pm 

Zed wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

No way, that would ridiculous.

Don’t rule out it being Özil using it to pull a sickie though !

Just weird.

Well no. Apparently there was a recent incident or two since that attempted car jacking 2 weeks ago. Just saying.

If that is the case then I start to suspect that the car jacking may have been a kidnap attempt. Özil is a bit close to the Turkish president and some of these areas really are a bit different. Don’t know why people are saying he is pulling a sickie when usually these people don’t want him in the team : so they should be happy.

No excuses at Newcastle.

Post #501242  Posted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:04 am 

Zed wrote:
Well no. Apparently there was a recent incident or two since that attempted car jacking 2 weeks ago. Just saying.

Oh okay Zed if that's the case fair enough ........maybe some Kurdish extremist group looking to gain some leverage at Özil's expense .

Must admit when I read they been left out of the Newcastle trip for something that happened two weeks ago , me being the no nonsense paragon of toil ...

My first thoughts were " Jesus Wept ....... used to be a time when players did half a day down in the pit before scrubbing up and reporting for a three o ' clock kick off " ..... and here's these two nancies still suffering from some
perseved 'trauma' a fortnight on .

It's with some cynicism I view this current PC World .....they've cancelled all lolly scrambles in NZ because two kids bumped their heads together diving for the same sweet , all the swings in Auckland have been removed from play areas because one broke .

Post #501243  Posted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:29 am 

As boring as I am I find this stuff fascinating. Shows the start of the medical and the media work our new players do. Tierney comes across as a down to earth kid.

https://youtu.be/Nb060yInqj0

Post #501244  Posted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:25 am 

If Özil is out, Pépé not yet fully fit, cellabos and Lacazette carrying a knock and Torreira not had enough pre season I think we could see a front 6 of
Xhaka Guendouzi
Mkhitaryan Willock Nelson
Aubameyang

Post #501245  Posted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:40 am 

Rich wrote:
If Özil is out, Pépé not yet fully fit, cellabos and Lacazette carrying a knock and Torreira not had enough pre season I think we could see a front 6 of
Xhaka Guendouzi
Aubameyang

Hi Rich.

I hope that with a weakened side we can still get something out of the Newcastle game. It would be a shame to dampen all the positivity with a defeat.

The Özil/Kola situation is worrying and it is hard to see how it can be quickly resolved. I've no idea what has gone on but if, for example, they've upset some gangsters then how does this get sorted quickly?.

Post #501246  Posted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:09 am 

socrates wrote:
I hope that with a weakened side we can still get something out of the Newcastle game. It would be a shame to dampen all the positivity with a defeat.

Morning Socrates. I’ll be disappointed with anything less than three points. I hope we’ll still have enough quality to win even without having our best team out, whatever that is.

Post #501247  Posted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:26 am 

socrates wrote:
Rich wrote:
Xhaka Guendouzi
Aubameyang

The Özil/Kola situation is worrying and it is hard to see how it can be quickly resolved. I've no idea what has gone on but if, for example, they've upset some gangsters then how does this get sorted quickly?.

Arrest the gangsters.

Post #501248  Posted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:46 am 

grantyboy wrote:
socrates wrote:

Arrest the gangsters.

Come on now. They are misunderstood. Pat on the head- just like the bloody Qld system. The sooner some of these do Gooders realise only prison will stop them from offending the the better. Once they out they will reoffend but you need to give the community a rest.

Post #501249  Posted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:09 am 

Bernard wrote:
socrates wrote:

Morning Socrates. I’ll be disappointed with anything less than three points. I hope we’ll still have enough quality to win even without having our best team out, whatever that is.

I hope we do. Bernard. I am really excited by what the new signings might bring to the team this season but I'm not sure if any of them will feature and even if they do they've had so little time to settle.

I wouldn't have fancied the bunch that finished last season so disasterously to get a win at St James and it looks like it might be more or less them less Lacazette if he's not fit.

Post #501250  Posted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:10 am 

grantyboy wrote:
socrates wrote:

Arrest the gangsters.

Easier said than done I'm afraid.

Post #501251  Posted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:32 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
grantyboy wrote:

Arrest the gangsters.

Come on now. They are misunderstood. Pat on the head- just like the bloody Qld system. The sooner some of these do Gooders realise only prison will stop them from offending the the better. Once they out they will reoffend but you need to give the community a rest.

Saw an article a few months back "Prisons to start reforming offenders". Thought that they've been trying that for decades and it's not working, maybe go back to making it a really *%^@ experience.

There are simply no real consequences anymore..

Following on from the banning of Lolly scrambles and swings due to the risk and danger, maybe we should stop driving cars or ban cigarettes and fatty food due to the risk. Or Walmart after the shooting in their store who have banned demos and advertising for violent video games but are still selling guns in the same store. What a world we live in. So many stupid people in charge.

Post #501252  Posted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:32 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
grantyboy wrote:

Arrest the gangsters.

Saw an article a few months back "Prisons to start reforming offenders". Thought that they've been trying that for decades and it's not working, maybe go back to making it a really *%^@ experience.

There are simply no real consequences anymore..

Following on from the banning of Lolly scrambles and swings due to the risk and danger, maybe we should stop driving cars or ban cigarettes and fatty food due to the risk. Or Walmart after the shooting in their store who have banned demos and advertising for violent video games but are still selling guns in the same store. What a world we live in. So many stupid people in charge.

Post #501253  Posted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:45 pm 

I find it very sad that a team like West Ham, who will probably finish in the top half of the table, cannot give Man City a game at home.

Money has affected football so much, I mean City are really no more than a mid to lower PL club but to use a Wenger expression they have been financially doped to make them worldbeaters.

Not sure what the answer is. Pundits are saying that other teams have to find a way to plug the gap but realistically they've spent £120m on two players this summer, one of whom is a fullback.

Post #501254  Posted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:59 pm 

Had Roman kept spending and Man Utd's big signings panned out, it would have been battle of the billionaires at the top but I wouldn't surprise me if the PL looks like the SPL but not nearly as dominant as Celtic but basically City winning 4 or 5 on the trot and the league becomes a race for top 4 and maybe a domestic trophy if they can knock city off.

PSG is making the French league boring. Bayern as well in the Bundesliga albeit they made their money sans an Emir or Oligarch.

Post #501255  Posted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:04 pm 

socrates wrote:
I find it very sad that a team like West Ham, who will probably finish in the top half of the table, cannot give Man City a game at home.

Money has affected football so much, I mean City are really no more than a mid to lower PL club but to use a Wenger expression they have been financially doped to make them worldbeaters.

Not sure what the answer is. Pundits are saying that other teams have to find a way to plug the gap but realistically they've spent £120m on two players this summer, one of whom is a fullback.

Not true. Only 1 of the top 10 transfers of all time involved city. They are better because they are better coached. The Hammers lost because their defence was rubbish.

Post #501256  Posted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:49 pm 

Gunfire wrote:
socrates wrote:

Not true. Only 1 of the top 10 transfers of all time involved city. They are better because they are better coached. The Hammers lost because their defence was rubbish.

Over the last 10 years City's net spend is over £1.1bn. That's nearly £400m more than any other club in the world in the same period.

http://www.sportbible.com/football/top- ... d-20190713

Post #501257  Posted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:31 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
but basically City winning 4 or 5 on the trot and the league becomes a race for top 4 and maybe a domestic trophy if they can knock city off.

City have won two on the trot. I think it’s a little early to give them four or five, especially as they won last season very narrowly.

People moan about City’s wealth but if it’s stopped United winning the league so often, that’s a good thing in my view.

Post #501258  Posted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:06 pm 

Confirmation about further incident with Özil
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... nt-charged

Post #501259  Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:32 am 

socrates wrote:

Dead right Soc ....... was just thinking along similar lines . No football for a few months , we've bought well so there is a bit anticipation in the air

...and then these clowns with unlimited $$$$$$$$ stroll out and put an ice cold shower on proceedings

Pundits will be wetting their pants over their style , flair etc etc gushing " how many trophies will they win this year " ...... NO -ONE mentions or thinks to address the unfairness of the whole situation .

Post #501260  Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:10 am 

Bernard wrote:
City have won two on the trot. I think it’s a little early to give them four or five, especially as they won last season very narrowly.

People moan about City’s wealth but if it’s stopped United winning the league so often, that’s a good thing in my view.

Hmmm ...... of course Bernard you probably have some logical deep seated reason for hating Utd ......[ your first ever love threw you over for a Red Mancunian ]
and I'm not their greatest fan ...... but in my book they EARNED their titles through a brilliant manager , exceptional youth system and buying very well .

Their money was generated fair and square from marketing , ticket sales , merchandise etc .

I don't give Man City one iota of credit for winning anything since the sheiks have been in control ... great club when they had the likes Frannie Lee , Rodney Marsh , Mike Summerbee , Tommy Booth

................... a great steaming pile of camel dung now .

Post #501261  Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:05 am 

Marauding start to the season from the top guns. We need to step it up tonight. Go Arsenal!

Post #501262  Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:14 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:

Hmm the blokes charged sound Turkish ... maybe I was a bit off the mark with the down the pit comments the other day .

Some wacko with some sort of weirdo politico agenda on your case would be really scary .

Just heard we got whacked by you Aussies in the rugby ... didn't even realise it was on to be honest such is my lack of interest in union these days .
Like rugby league ... Raiders v the Roosters this afternoon should be good .

First match up after 'stealing' the World Cup from NZ ........ the Poms getting their come uppance in the cricket :58big-emoticons:

Post #501263  Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:13 am 

socrates wrote:
Over the last 10 years City's net spend is over £1.1bn. That's nearly £400m more than any other club in the world in the same period.

#facts! :53big-emoticons:

Even when they started out with mediocre managers they elevated up the table rapidly from where they were prior to the money. It's plainly obvious their money is the reason. The Thai billionaire's money made them a force on the rise. They just didn't have the name to bring in big name players. They threw money at whomever they could till they had the trophies and brand recognition to attract elite players. Even if Mancini and Pelligrini stayed and they didn't win a title they'd have been firmly a top club something they wouldn't have achieved were it nor the for the money.

Anyone not seeing that has their head in the sand.

Post #501264  Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:23 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

Hmm the blokes charged sound Turkish ... maybe I was a bit off the mark with the down the pit comments the other day .

Some wacko with some sort of weirdo politico agenda on your case would be really scary .

Just heard we got whacked by you Aussies in the rugby ... didn't even realise it was on to be honest such is my lack of interest in union these days .
Like rugby league ... Raiders v the Roosters this afternoon should be good .

First match up after 'stealing' the World Cup from NZ ........ the Poms getting their come uppance in the cricket :58big-emoticons:

Had a wisdom tooth out a couple of days ago and still having some problems. Heard the rugby was on but did not watch it and won’t bother watching any replays. Cricket - hmm - I suppose most of the Millwall fans (barmy army) will be at games from now on. Didn’t watch it but was glad we won but just as unhappy at losing the netball.

The amount of money in sport coupled with the advice to gamble responsibly has resulted in interest waning quickly. Been more interested in doing my art as an interest. I was at Lord Howe Island for some tuition. It gives me more pleasure than some absolute moron who earns a million dollars because he is reasonably coordinated in doing something with a ball.

Post #501265  Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:53 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Had a wisdom tooth out a couple of days ago and still having some problems.

Probably best that its out, Gaz, as it didn't appear to be imparting much wisdom :laughing7:

Post #501266  Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:12 am 

socrates wrote:

Yeah felt similar in a "oh how boring" way. Man C certainly hit the ground running and West Ham a bit of a mess. Something that annoyed me was that all matches at the start of the season don't start at 3pm. Everyone is excited about the start of the season and we get dealt it in dribs and drabs. Got up this morning ready to watch Arsenal because I had assumed it would be a 3pm kick off and now can't watch it all because it's on late on Sunday night. Then there's probably the most interesting match of the weekend on a bloody Monday.

Post #501267  Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:24 am 

socrates wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
Had a wisdom tooth out a couple of days ago and still having some problems.

Probably best that its out, Gaz, as it didn't appear to be imparting much wisdom :laughing7:

I actually smiled. Bit of subtle humour is always appreciated. :1laughter:

Post #501268  Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:40 am 

Right now, I'd like to leave with a draw. But I hope for the best always.

Post #501269  Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:52 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Right now, I'd like to leave with a draw. But I hope for the best always.

Why would you like to leave with a draw? That would immediately put us two points behind others in the race for a top four place, Tottenham as well as City and Liverpool, plus whichever one wins out of Chelsea and Man Utd (unless they draw).

Post #501270  Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:50 am 

Kiwi, something to gladden the heart. Bathurst and Roos

https://youtu.be/awwQC-32R2k

Post #501271  Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:02 am 

socrates wrote:
Gunfire wrote:

That's net spend. The actual amount they spent is a little above other big teams. They are successful because they are well managed.

Post #501272  Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:11 pm 

Gunfire wrote:
socrates wrote:

That's net spend. The actual amount they spent is a little above other big teams. They are successful because they are well managed.

They might be well managed. How is a billion pounds not a factor??

Post #501273  Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:12 pm 

Nelson and Willock starting.

Post #501274  Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:18 pm 

Strange starting line up. Exremely strong bench. Youngsters starting including Chambers at CH.

If we get overrun at the beginning the teams confidence will take a kicking imo.

I wish he'd started with some of the players on the bench......

1Leno
15Maitland-Niles
21Chambers
5Papastathopoulos
18Monreal
29Guendouzi
34Xhaka
7Mkhitaryan
28Willock
24Nelson
14Aubameyang

Substitutes
8Ceballos
9Lacazette
11Torreira
19Pépé
23David Luiz
26Martínez
35Martinelli Silva

Atknson the ref, enough said, I'm worried.

Post #501275  Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:18 pm 

Gunfire wrote:
socrates wrote:

So they could afford to recoup 400m quid less than any other club in that period?

Seems that net spend is the best indicator of extravagance/financial doping.

Post #501276  Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:20 pm 

That time of year again... Mustafi and Xhaka still here? Sixth place here we come!!

Post #501277  Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:46 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
Strange starting line up. Exremely strong bench. Youngsters starting including Chambers at CH.

If we get overrun at the beginning the teams confidence will take a kicking imo.

1Leno
15Maitland-Niles
21Chambers
5Papastathopoulos
18Monreal
29Guendouzi
34Xhaka
7Mkhitaryan
28Willock
24Nelson
14Aubameyang

Substitutes
8Ceballos
9Lacazette
11Torreira
19Pépé
23David Luiz
26Martínez
35Martinelli Silva

Oh. It looks like last season’s side. Not what I was expecting.

Post #501278  Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:51 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
bubblechris wrote:

1Leno
15Maitland-Niles
21Chambers
5Papastathopoulos
18Monreal
29Guendouzi
34Xhaka
7Mkhitaryan
28Willock
24Nelson
14Aubameyang

Substitutes
8Ceballos
9Lacazette
11Torreira
19Pépé
23David Luiz
26Martínez
35Martinelli Silva

Oh. It looks like last season’s side. Not what I was expecting.

Hi ltg,

It is what I was expecting for reasons mainly to do with the lack of time the new signings have had to integrate and also some players are only back in training fairly recently after summer tournaments.

It does not look a side that inspires confidence, however the bench is strong.

Let's hope that Willock and Nelson can give us a lift.

Post #501279  Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:52 pm 

Gunfire wrote:
socrates wrote:

Not sure what you mean, Gun, "net" is the actual amount they have spent.

Post #501280  Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:00 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
socrates wrote:

Dead right Soc ....... was just thinking along similar lines . No football for a few months , we've bought well so there is a bit anticipation in the air

...and then these clowns with unlimited $$$$$$$$ stroll out and put an ice cold shower on proceedings

Pundits will be wetting their pants over their style , flair etc etc gushing " how many trophies will they win this year " ...... NO -ONE mentions or thinks to address the unfairness of the whole situation .

Blimey, has the football season started already?

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12529, 12530, 12531, 12532, 12533, 12534, 12535 ... 14269  Next