Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:06 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Gaz from Oz, warrior and 143 guests

Post #502561  Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:55 am 

Ash wrote:
I think Emery who won the Europa cup three times in a row is capable of better than this, as is this squad of players.

The best starts to the season I remember were when we we pre seasoned in Austria. Everyone would tip Arsenal to drop out of the top four and we’d start the season like the proverbial well-oiled machine and by the time the wheels fell off in Feb-March we’d already built a decent points total and had loads of momentum.

Particularly compared to that I think we’re still ridiculously unsettled. Both first choice full backs and arguably a starting or a least supporting CB are out and only now looking to slowly integrate over the next couple of months. Pépé has had no preseason with us at all. Torreria came back so late he’s not been an option. The young players are clearly going to need a lot of support and time and even if they do start well like Willock we know from experience that tends to dry up and they shouldn’t be first choice.

It’s as far away from a fairly settled team with a settled philosophy having a smooth preseason as you could get.

My prediction was that we’d be a bit ropey at points but we’d muddle through at just below par (so on course for 5th/6th I suppose) until Christmas, then after the new year when Pépé’s settled, Holding Bellerin and Tierney have had a few games and Emery decides what we’re doing and we’ve given the young players some Europa experience we’d start to motor as a team. But it’d be too late to be anywhere near the top two and we’d be fourth maybe third depending on how much Chelsea Utd and Spurs struggle. My hope was third.

What I didn’t count on was this interminable *%^@ up and getting the balance of the team and tactics SO badly wrong. You can cope with muddling along and it’s a decent platform to improve. If it all implodes and recriminations start and Xhaka keeps saying we’re scared and we keep playing out from the back we’ll have no platform to kick on in Jan. If the club as a whole (looking at Edu and Sanlehi maybe) can keep their heads we should still make top four.

It feels like the equivalent of a boxer who if he can just survive the first round could go on to win on points.

Also you know when you hear something and you go “Yeah that feels right” Vieira to take over at the end of the season?

With regards to our preseason preparation under Wenger when we went to Austria for privacy and focus and now travel around the world pimping ourselves and our brand out via the players, we can all thank the Los Angeles Rams owner Stan Kroenke for that.

As for the 'balance" and "tactics" being wrong, its early and we have a lot of new faces and lost our captain and best defender. It's a bit early to expect a cohesive, tactical team. I think you are right in not expecting things to gel till near Xmas time.

I think 3rd is doable but as you note, its not dependent on us taking 3rd but by and large hoping Chelsea and Tottenham underperform compared to last season. That's not improving, that's hoping for those around you to underperform. Never a good strategy obviously.

Vieira, love him to death, but he's not ready for us. Lets see how he does with a far lower project like Nice. 7th place last season which isn't the worst rookie managerial season in the world, but they were 3rd at the end of the 2017 season, 8th in 2018 so a slight improvement. Obviously we all wish him the best. But we'll end up with a Lamps at Chelsea scenario if he were to take over now. He's not ready.

Post #502562  Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:07 am 

..also, do we really have a legitimate shot at getting Luis Enrique? Really?

Post #502563  Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:07 am 

bubblechris wrote:
Dislike all the calls, okay a few calls, for Mourinho to sort us out.

Not sure if I can think of a worse call. Maybe Sam Allardyce, but at least that would have the entertainment factor of watching AmericanGooner's meltdown.

Way too early to call for Emery's head, even though our play so far is worrying. I was sort of expecting our defense to continue looking shaky, we're still missing our two best full backs and with Luiz being the only addition in central defense for this season it was never going to be world class.

More worrying for me is our lack of offense. Tottenham is the only game where I can remember us putting sustained pressure on our opponent for a longer period of time, in the other games our goals seem to come from seemingly random chances or counter attacks. With the amount of attacking talent we have we should be doing better.

Post #502564  Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:19 am 

Rich wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
Results in CL today were pretty good. If other clubs fighting for top 4 have to stretch their squad for the group stages all the better for us

Agreed, but we want all 4 to qualify for the KO round so they don’t drop in to the Europa League

True. It would be best if they qualify for the next round but really struggle to get top spot in the groups. If they have to play their best 11 a few times it can make a difference how they perform in the EPL

Post #502565  Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:42 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
Ffs get your finger out Emery.

Dislike all the calls, okay a few calls, for Mourinho to sort us out.

If he has to go I'd rather keep it in house.

Partial comnent from IG in May 2018....
Cautioned against expecting instant rewards from the new man, dubbing any demands for immediate success "naive."

Post #502566  Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:46 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:

Not when like in May 2018, he demanded a £200K war chest , as at the time, he was one being considered at first to replace AW. Stan no can do.

Post #502567  Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:05 pm 

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer ... 0?mode=amp

Fernando Ricksen RIP. Only 43. Very sad.

Post #502568  Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:27 pm 

Bored wrote:
WARRIOR: For the last 3 weeks or so I haven’t been able to connect to this site. Weirdly my phone can access the site. Any ideas how to solve this issue, as I prefer to interact with the site with a laptop. Thanks

Hey mate.

Can you PM me what IP address you are trying to connect with and also if you are using a VPN - particularly PIA VPN.

Eg: https://whatismyipaddress.com/

Also, when it fails, can you get to here : http://stevegleiber.com/
===
Edit - I just checked - I don't think it's this end.
Currently-Blocked IP Addresses:
Server Setting Beginning IP Ending IP Actions
No IPs are being blocked.

It might be one of a few things:

https pages needing a lower MTU setting in your router (unlikely)

Some sort of VPN or malware blocker
- This site has mixed secure (onsite) and 'unsecure' (3rd party sites) content - from the links people post.

Maybe a web browser or blocker doesn't like it

A local vpn or blocker running - like an IP range blocker used for safer torrenting.
Eg: Peerblock <== That'll do it for sure

Your ISP or upstream provider blocking it (school, work, etc)

A broken or maladjusted proxy (or stale cache)

Maybe try a different web browser ?

A trace route would also help (Tracert) - to see where it is failing.

It would be interesting to try from another computer, but the same IP address.
Or - That computer into another internet connection - Or tethered off your mobile even.

Post #502569  Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:28 pm 

grantyboy wrote:
Was thinking a 4-2-1-3 seems to be the closest fit for the players we have.

After watching the Watford game, I think the best formation for us is 4-3-4-4

Post #502570  Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:03 pm 

Did anyone see the Napoli defeat of Liverpool. Now that's how to play in the Prem and how to win it too.

Post #502571  Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:01 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:
Hi Bernard, I don’t know but I suspect the ‘keeping the seat warm’ wasn’t so much that he was appointed to do that but more that it has turned out that way....as it may have done for any manager coming in to the mess we were and the amount of player churn we needed. That is not to say that emery has helped himself here though

Rich, I really don’t think it has turned out that way yet. People are reacting to and dare I say jumping to conclusions too quickly after a dismal performance at Watford. A few wins and what’s being written will change, I reckon. I really don’t think it’s certain Emery will be sacked. If we qualify for the Champions League I fully expect him to still be in post next season. If we don’t, I think he’ll be gone. I see it as that simple.

I’d agree with that assessment, his target is black and white.

Post #502572  Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:05 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
Did anyone see the Napoli defeat of Liverpool. Now that's how to play in the Prem and how to win it too.

Napoli played well but 2 big errors from Liverpool we’re punished. Robertson giving away a pen - he’s started the season slowly. And van Dijk with a poor pass to no one in his own area

Post #502573  Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:06 pm 

Zed wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

Not when like in May 2018, he demanded a £200K war chest , as at the time, he was one being considered at first to replace AW. Stan no can do.

Allegri doesn’t have a job at the moment

Post #502574  Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:15 pm 

It’s strange how the thing emery was lauded for when he was hired is the thing that’s possibly holding him back now.
He does intense analysis of the opposition and sets his team up to try to counter this. Now it feels like he changes the team too much and worries about the opposition more than concentrating on our strengths, even if the opposition are bottom of the league and we’re at home (Brighton at home last year with 3 defensive mids)

After years of wenger sending the same team with the same tactics no matter the opposition or occasion it was great to hear we hired a guy who did his research. The reality is we need something in between.

Pick the way to play that suits our best players, and attack. Play this way at all times and just tweak the tactics and players in accordance to the very dangerous teams. The best teams set up the same way but may attack wider, defend deeper, press or not - but by and large it is the same system.

Post #502575  Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:29 pm 

I love seeing Real Madrid losing and not doing well. Arrogant club. They act like they are bigger than the sport itself.

Post #502576  Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:10 pm 

Away from home. Not playing well. Fortunate to go 2-0 up.

Then completely lose control and provide opponents gifts as a way back into the game. Subside to 2-2.

Good to see that Tottenham have copied us this evening.

Post #502577  Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:23 pm 

long time gooner wrote:

Then completely lose control and provide opponents gifts as a way back into the game. Subside to 2-2.

Tottenham went 0-2 up against us before drawing 2-2 as well as tonight.

Post #502578  Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:34 pm 

Rich wrote:
Zed wrote:

Allegri will probably end up at United because they will spend big money. We will get a former player to try and offset the fact we will spend FA.

#KroenkeOUT

Post #502579  Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:32 am 

Zed wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

I thought I read somewhere he wanted a certain amount of for transfers to consider the job and wasn't give that assurance. Don't quote me on that but I thought I read that somewhere.

Post #502580  Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:33 am 

Rich wrote:
Zed wrote:

He was on the short list before and didn't come. No reason for him to come given the circumstances have not changed.

Post #502581  Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:36 am 

Wilts-Gooner wrote:
Allegri will probably end up at United because they will spend big money. We will get a former player to try and offset the fact we will spend FA.

#KroenkeOUT

Yes, if only we were so lucky as to have Glazer in charge. Really well run club that.

Post #502582  Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:38 am 

Wilts-Gooner wrote:
Rich wrote:

#KroenkeOUT

If, as I think, Lampard and OGS will fail, there will probably be openings at both clubs. Not even a chance we will get the likes of Allegri considering us.

Emery is our level right now and unlike a lot of you, I am okay with him for now. The Arsenal are liked, in part, for giving managers time. I can't believe some fans online are wanting to get rid of him after 1 season. Amazingly short sided.

Post #502583  Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:45 am 

Bernard wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

Tottenham went 0-2 up against us before drawing 2-2 as well as tonight.

So they did. No comedy goals given to us that time though (sadly).

Post #502584  Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:00 am 

Not even sure why Allegri is considered the standard-bearer for football managers right now. It could be argued Conte hade even better results at Juventus; took them from a 7th place finish the season before he arrived to winning the league three times in a row, the last season finishing 17 points ahead of the runners up. When Allegri took over they were already a well-oiled winning machine. He could be a success in England of course, but I think if you look at Conte and Sarri and how they fared in the Premier League it’s far from a given.

Post #502585  Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:33 am 

I've been reading a lot of tactical pieces on Arsenal and Emery and one of the things that came up that interested me after the watford game was this. Arsenal are 2-0 away from home to a struggling side. Watford HAVE to come out and attack, this SHOULD play right in to Arsenal's hands with a playmaker of Özil's quality and the pace of Aubamayang and Pépé up front. How often do big clubs bemoan the tactic of 10 men behind the ball, but then you regularly see them break the deadlock and then gaps appear so they can kill teams on the break. Why did Arsenal show zero attacking ability once Watford had to come out and attack us even more, to be honest I haven't seen this from us for some time. We just appear to be far too conservative, to scared to use Xhaka's quote and too worried about what our opponents can do. We're 2-0 up away to a side absolutely shot of confidence, it is totally different to Spurs blowing a 2-0 lead at home to us.

Post #502586  Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:58 am 

Özil hasn't travelled to Germany. He's being rested.

Post #502587  Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:06 am 

DHD wrote:

...and will be ready for another stroll around the Emirates in about a month.

Post #502588  Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:30 am 

My preferred starting 11 for the foreseeable future.

Leno
Niles, Sok, Anyone but Luiz, Kola
Torriera, Ceballos,
Pépé, Aubameyang, Willock

Post #502589  Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:32 am 

DHD wrote:

I have no idea why they are taking Aubameyang. Tiring if he doesn’t play and risky for injury if he plays. Can understand why Özil & Socrates are not going. We either give priority to the EPL or we don’t. But this is a half way idea.

Post #502590  Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:57 am 

Rich wrote:
We’re 2-0 up away to a side absolutely shot of confidence, it is totally different to Spurs blowing a 2-0 lead at home to us.
To be fair I don’t think anyone was saying it was the same. But it has happened to Tottenham twice recently.

Post #502591  Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:49 pm 

AMN quotes

“I want to stay in the team, but if the manager chooses to pick him (Bellerin) over me, that’s something I will have to live with. I’ll just have to keep training and working hard so that I get picked instead.

“I’m a midfielder by trade, either central or on the wing, it’s all the same to me. I’m not a defender so I do get a lot of stick about my defending being poor, but it’s something I’m learning and have been learning for a couple of years now.

“It’s not going to come overnight. If I was a defender as a kid, and my defending was poor, I would understand where the criticism is coming from, but I’m trying my best for the team and for the manager.

“It’s not where I would choose to put myself in the team, as I’m an attacking player by trade. That’s all I can try to bring to the team. I’m still learning the defensive side, so when players are running at me, and they’re throwing skills at me, I’m still learning how to deal with that.

“It’s always nice to have one main position where you play, and everyone else gets to play in their main position, so hopefully it’s just a matter of time before I can do that too.”

Post #502592  Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:53 pm 

grantyboy wrote:

Leno
Torriera, Ceballos,

Willock left wing? and only 10 men? This needs a re-think

Post #502593  Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:59 pm 

Maybe Frankfurt away (the hardest game in the group) isn't the time to bed in too many youngsters but I'd like to see the likes of Saka, Emile Smith Rowe and a young forward - could have been Nkeitiah if he stayed, maybe John-Jules. Things are a bit more stretched at the back with a lack of first teamers and a lack of good youngsters coming through.

Emery needs to protect our best players, I felt he played too many of the best 11 in the group stages last year.

Post #502594  Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:28 pm 

Rich wrote:
grantyboy wrote:

Leno
Torriera, Ceballos,

Willock left wing? and only 10 men? This needs a re-think

"Anyone but Luiz" counts double.

Post #502595  Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:49 pm 

Rich wrote:
AMN quotes

“I want to stay in the team, but if the manager chooses to pick him (Bellerin) over me, that’s something I will have to live with. I’ll just have to keep training and working hard so that I get picked instead.

“I’m a midfielder by trade, either central or on the wing, it’s all the same to me. I’m not a defender so I do get a lot of stick about my defending being poor, but it’s something I’m learning and have been learning for a couple of years now.

“It’s not going to come overnight. If I was a defender as a kid, and my defending was poor, I would understand where the criticism is coming from, but I’m trying my best for the team and for the manager.

“It’s not where I would choose to put myself in the team, as I’m an attacking player by trade. That’s all I can try to bring to the team. I’m still learning the defensive side, so when players are running at me, and they’re throwing skills at me, I’m still learning how to deal with that.

“It’s always nice to have one main position where you play, and everyone else gets to play in their main position, so hopefully it’s just a matter of time before I can do that too.”

I think I read (and I could be mistaken) that Ashley Cole was originally a winger in the youth side. van Bronckhurst was a midfielder. Walcott was a striker. It's where the club needs him. Unfortunately for him Bellerin is only 24 has his best years ahead of him and save injury, Bellerin will start for some time.

I like AMN a lot. Having to learn how to play full back in PL matches is unfair to him to some extent and criticism has to be in context with that reality. I hope we can hold on to him.

Post #502596  Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:51 pm 

Rich wrote:
I've been reading a lot of tactical pieces on Arsenal and Emery and one of the things that came up that interested me after the watford game was this. Arsenal are 2-0 away from home to a struggling side. Watford HAVE to come out and attack, this SHOULD play right in to Arsenal's hands with a playmaker of Özil's quality and the pace of Aubamayang and Pépé up front. How often do big clubs bemoan the tactic of 10 men behind the ball, but then you regularly see them break the deadlock and then gaps appear so they can kill teams on the break. Why did Arsenal show zero attacking ability once Watford had to come out and attack us even more, to be honest I haven't seen this from us for some time. We just appear to be far too conservative, to scared to use Xhaka's quote and too worried about what our opponents can do. We're 2-0 up away to a side absolutely shot of confidence, it is totally different to Spurs blowing a 2-0 lead at home to us.

Agree with that we should have countered more and better than we did, when we had chances. We really should have gotten a 3rd goal.
I think we are still lacking in belief as well as belief in our teammates. A few new faces and it takes a while to have confidence in the player next to you when you haven't played with them much.

Post #502597  Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:21 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Zed wrote:

I thought I read somewhere he wanted a certain amount of for transfers to consider the job and wasn't give that assurance. Don't quote me on that but I thought I read that somewhere.

Enrique did want a guarantee up front of a certain amount to be available. He wouldn't get that money at all.

Post #502598  Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:36 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Zed wrote:
It was Mislantat, Bernard out of the 3. Raul is only one left from that panel. Raul wanted Luis Enrique, not Emery, but ultimately it was Ivan' G's decision as noted from this quote...

"Unai has an outstanding track record of success throughout his career, has developed some of the best young talent in Europe and plays an exciting, progressive style of football that fits Arsenal perfectly," Arsenal chief executive Ivan Gazidis said. "His hard-working and passionate approach and his sense of values on and off the pitch make him the ideal person to take us forward."

Okay, I stand corrected. I had always assumed Mislintat’s job focussed on the recruitment of players, not the head coach.

Apparently Sven's input was needed at the time. Familiarity maybe on background of managers being considered then. Arteta was just a whisker away from being hired. Yet Emery's vision for Arsenal won all 3 over.

Post #502599  Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:45 pm 

Wilts-Gooner wrote:
Rich wrote:

#KroenkeOUT

If Poch ends up on wrong side of the table a few months out, no CL, hmmm. Levy just might go for Allegri if he's still available end of season. Never say never. :14laughter:

Post #502600  Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:53 pm 

Just seen the team - hopefully that isn't a diamond in midfield. Can't stand it

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12562, 12563, 12564, 12565, 12566, 12567, 12568 ... 14269  Next