Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:55 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], warrior and 154 guests

Post #505321  Posted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:18 pm 

Zed wrote:
The son of Arsenal owner Stan Kroenke admitted that the club are not in the position to compete for trophies this season amid growing unrest among the team's supporters worldwide, but added that silverware is still ultimately the goal in the very near future.

'very near future'. Considering how their US clubs are so lacking in major trophies over time, expect a long wait for the Arsenal. Aside from Stan's LA Rams that is.

Yep we're FUBAR.

Luis Enrique incoming because he's Raul's mate, after he's f*cked things up we'll probably be totally 'broke' and scratching around for Neil Warnock or Steve Bruce who will have been sacked by Newcastle by then.

Leave the ground empty for pity's sake!.

Post #505322  Posted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:20 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:
I agree with Top Gun, if it was him who implied it, that Lacazette and Aubameyang could well be sold next summer if they have not renewed their contracts. Martinelli will obviously come into the first team, but we will still need to buy someone up front.

What I find interesting about our defence is that whoever plays in the centre, it doesn’t make a blind bit of difference. We’re crap at defending whoever the centre backs are. The main options for the first team are in alphabetical order Chambers, Holding, Luiz, Mustafi and Sokratis. I realise none of them are top draw and if the lad from Saint Ettiene is as good as he’s supposed to be, we still need a top draw signing.

But in the meantime, so this season, I don’t see why two of Chambers, Holding, Luiz, Mustafi and Sokratis can’t be organised into a credible central defence. If Emery, or Ljungberg, can’t do it, why not? Oh for a return to the days of Koscielny and Mertesacker, let alone Campbell, Adams or Keown.

If our midfield can’t hold onto the ball for more than 5 passes I’m not sure any combination of players can survive wave after wave of opposing attacks.

The midfield is leaving the defence on a hiding to nothing by not holding onto the ball and we have lost every single midfield battle this year.

I think a better manager gets more from those defenders. You need to sign some superhuman for us to rectify our defence and he would still be managed by Unai *%^@*** Emery

I don’t disagree with you about the midfield underperforming, but the midfielders we currently have to choose from are, again in alphabetical order, Ceballos, Guendouzi, Maitland-Niles, Özil, Torreira, Willock and Xhaka. I realise what you think of Xhaka, but if that mob can’t make up an effective midfield then questions should be asked why not? There is skill, creativity, passing ability, drive, work rate and tackling ability amongst them. What the hell is Emery doing, and I’d ask the same of Ljungberg?

Post #505323  Posted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:24 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Arsenal are sixth and Tottenham are twelfth. They’re even worse than us. As a born and bred North Londoner, I wonder how Barnet are doing? If they’re having a good season, might this be one of the few times Barnet have the happiest fans in North London?

They aren’t

They are doing terribly. Mid table in the national league and their chairman has effectively given up competing.

Thanks, I didn’t know that.

Post #505324  Posted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:27 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
If our midfield can’t hold onto the ball for more than 5 passes I’m not sure any combination of players can survive wave after wave of opposing attacks.

The midfield is leaving the defence on a hiding to nothing by not holding onto the ball and we have lost every single midfield battle this year.

I think a better manager gets more from those defenders. You need to sign some superhuman for us to rectify our defence and he would still be managed by Unai *%^@*** Emery

I don’t disagree with you about the midfield underperforming, but the midfielders we currently have to choose from are, again in alphabetical order, Ceballos, Guendouzi, Maitland-Niles, Özil, Torreira, Willock and Xhaka. I realise what you think of Xhaka, but if that mob can’t make up an effective midfield then questions should be asked why not? There is skill, creativity, passing ability, drive, work rate and tackling ability amongst them. What the hell is Emery doing, and I’d ask the same of Ljungberg?

I’m not the biggest fans of Xhaka and Ceballos but I agree it’s illogical we can’t find a compatible structure.

Post #505325  Posted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:42 pm 

While the players trot off to an international break I'll be off on a little Arsenal hiatus as well. Hopefully it doesn't need to last as long as the Wenger one but I won't be wasting any more time watching Emery's mismanagement. Emery out. :12hello-bye:

Post #505326  Posted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:34 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
...He purchased our two first choice central defenders and a left back and coaches the side ...... so whose fault could it be :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: ....Kamela Harris , Donald Trump , Bill Parcells , Tom Landry , Woody Allen
Gordon Brown, surely?

Post #505327  Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:39 am 

Wilts-Gooner wrote:
Zed wrote:
The son of Arsenal owner Stan Kroenke admitted that the club are not in the position to compete for trophies this season amid growing unrest among the team's supporters worldwide, but added that silverware is still ultimately the goal in the very near future.

'very near future'. Considering how their US clubs are so lacking in major trophies over time, expect a long wait for the Arsenal. Aside from Stan's LA Rams that is.

Yep we're FUBAR.

Luis Enrique incoming because he's Raul's mate, after he's f*cked things up we'll probably be totally 'broke' and scratching around for Neil Warnock or Steve Bruce who will have been sacked by Newcastle by then.

Leave the ground empty for pity's sake!.

Then Raul knows of Enrique's arrogance and financial demands. Those demands were why he wasn't hired after AW left. Unless he's changed and is aware that Silent Stan budgets are limited.

Post #505328  Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:34 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
I still think he needs a better defense to see what he can do. We are working with a weak central defense that is not his fault. I'd like him to get the rest of the season still. Not a midseason sacking unless we go 'Moyes at Man Utd' type of results

Continually failing and yet continuing to play out of our area with this defense, is evidence enough that he does not have the tactical nous to adjust. Or has he coached the players right?

Post #505329  Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:45 am 

Didn't Arsenal remove a lot of the powers Wenger once had such as being his own sporting director? If its not that way, let me know, but I seem to recall that being said about the changes. If so, Emery had little or no say in who we bought.
Luiz surely is not his first choice, neither is having Mustafi still there. Also, in having to rely on Holding.

Post #505330  Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:47 am 

Too much to ask of any manager to organize that lot (add Chambers who is said to be better in midfield) against PL sides and expect to keep clean sheets.

Post #505331  Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:55 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Too much to ask of any manager to organize that lot (add Chambers who is said to be better in midfield) against PL sides and expect to keep clean sheets.

Total nonsense. There’s a decent keeper in the sticks now and 2 good full backs. This isn’t the same squad Emery inherited.

The notion another manager couldn’t set us up to play less open is nonsense.

I’ve just read that Emery was due to take the Real Sociedad job before Gazidis talked to him. That’s about his level really, disastrous appointment

Post #505332  Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:02 am 

Arsenal 'contact' former Barcelona and Spain boss Luis Enrique to replace Unai Emery

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football ... nai-emery/

Well Enrique would be a nice change. Then we can see how a Spanish manager performs for us. :icon_mrgreen:

Post #505333  Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:33 am 

Bizarrely we’ve taken 1 more point in our last3 prem games than we did in the corresponding fixtures last season.

God we are awful

Post #505334  Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:35 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

Total nonsense. There’s a decent keeper in the sticks now and 2 good full backs. This isn’t the same squad

And even if it was the same squad and he’d only had a summer working with them, it was a coaching open goal to improve the team defensively and off the ball. We had reached laughing stock in that respect under wenger, emery has made it worse

Post #505335  Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:50 am 

Just watched MOTD highlights and the pundits pointed out how arsenal got over run in the full back areas in 2v1s all day long. As soon as I saw we were playing 3 at the back I knew this would happen and posted that it would on here. If we wanted to play 3 at the back, what was the plan to contain the wide areas? If I can tell this is going to happen before the game then what on earth is emery working on all week!

Post #505336  Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:53 am 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I think the midfield is the root of the problem, especially if we play Özil. We aren't able to create enough going forward, the defense is not adequately shielded, and we are awful off the ball.

Its not the quality of our midfielders, but just that the constant changes in selection and formation mean that there is no cohesion and players are utterly confused about their roles. Torriera plus Guendouzi playing their natural games plus one other would be fine if given a chance to develop an understanding.

We just need a coach who has a clue about what will work in the Prem and is capable of making up his mind above a formation and a first 11.

Post #505337  Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:54 am 

There have been time's when things have gone very wrong for Arsenal but you cant help but stare and wonder how bad its going to get, what's going to happen, who's to blame etc etc. But now i'm reaching the point where we can all see it, its all been said, and now i'm just so thoroughly bored by it all.

Post #505338  Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:02 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
We simply didn't spend on our defense. I like Holding personally as well as Luuz. However, one is too inexperienced and the other past it.

Mustafi? The fact he is still wearing an Arsenal shirt speaks volumes.

Our best defender isnt even at the club.

Give Emeey a quality central defense and one or two others and then let's see.

He will likely be long hone before that comes to fruition but you can't give a manager this defense and tell him it's his fault we are leaking goals.

Yeah its not his fault. Give him a quality central defense and a brain transplant and then let's see.

Post #505339  Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:06 am 

Dixon spoke about midfield being a huge problem. He said if you put the famous back 5 (all at their peak) in this team then they would struggle simply through a lack of protection.
In contrast, put Vieira and Petit in this team and the difference would be huge.

Post #505340  Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:06 am 

warrior wrote:
Arsenal 'contact' former Barcelona and Spain boss Luis Enrique to replace Unai Emery

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football ... nai-emery/

Well Enrique would be a nice change. Then we can see how a Spanish manager performs for us. :icon_mrgreen:

:20hospitals:

Post #505341  Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:36 am 

Never thought Terry Neill would relinquish his place as the worst Arsenal manager of my lifetime.

Actually the only good thing about Emery is he seems to have reunited the fanbase to some extent.

Post #505342  Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:43 am 

Welcome back Tafkaein. I hope life has been treating you well.

Post #505343  Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:56 am 

TAFKAEiN wrote:
Never thought Terry Neill would relinquish his place as the worst Arsenal manager of my lifetime.

Actually the only good thing about Emery is he seems to have reunited the fanbase to some extent.

:42laughter: :53big-emoticons:

Post #505344  Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:13 am 

Bored wrote:
Welcome back Tafkaein. I hope life has been treating you well.

Cheers mate - better than The Arsenal have...

Post #505345  Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:24 am 

Ornstein in The Athletic
They (the powers at arsenal) believe the project is sound, well planned and will bring success, provided the external atmosphere allows it to do so.

Blaming the fans? Has the club ever been so out of touch with its fans?

Wasn’t there a quite from Xhaka basically sayinfg the support he’s received from certain quarters have left him feeling justified in his actions

Post #505346  Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:46 am 

Rich wrote:
Ornstein in The Athletic
They (the powers at arsenal) believe the project is sound, well planned and will bring success, provided the external atmosphere allows it to do so.

I'd win the lottery if the right numbers come up.

About the same odds I reckon.

Post #505347  Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:48 am 

TAFKAEiN wrote:

Welcome back.
Yes, AG is still out on a limb but otherwise a certain amount of unity prevails. Weird. People are having to find really petty issues to pick fights over.

Post #505348  Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:50 am 

Seen the standard reports saying ‘how many of this arsenal team get a n Leicester’s team?
It’s the wrong way of looking at it on two accounts
1) if you dropped a single arsenal player in the Leicester squad, coached and trained as the rest are then I have no doubt they could perform with the confidence and verve Leicester do
2) not one of the sheff Utd team get in our 11 on paper but they beat us through knowing their roles, giving their all for their manager, team mates and fans, defending and attacking as a team

Post #505349  Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:52 am 

Decaf wrote:
TAFKAEiN wrote:

Welcome back.
Yes, AG is still out on a limb but otherwise a certain amount of unity prevails. Weird. People are having to find really petty issues to pick fights over.

I've looked in a few times but as I have a scroll button I've no idea what AG has been saying.

I did, however, notice Top Gun telling heinous lies about me.

Post #505350  Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:52 am 

TAFKAEiN wrote:
Decaf wrote:
Welcome back.

I've looked in a few times but as I have a scroll button I've no idea what AG has been saying.

Welcome back (new name that’s a mouthful but definitely not Welsh).

Post #505351  Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:16 pm 

john1 wrote:
TAFKAEiN wrote:

In fact it’s a bit Tafkaesque

Post #505352  Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:49 pm 

john1 wrote:
john1 wrote:

In fact it’s a bit Tafkaesque

The artist formerly known as Exiled in Newcastle?

Post #505353  Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:57 pm 

Surprise, surprise our useless owner is thinking about the pennies again, what is the saying?, penny wise pound stupid?.

Oh well enjoy seeing your asset value begin to decline as we fester in midtable with a half empty Emirates, not that you give a sh*t of course, being another ignorant fool who made their money off the back of family fortune and/or real estate investment.

We are now officially a 'sleeping giant' all thanks to Kroenke Sports Enterprises.

Post #505354  Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:15 pm 

Ornstein has spoken and it’s not good.

Link

Post #505355  Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:26 pm 

Darren wrote:
Ornstein has spoken and it’s not good.

Link

Doubt that's accurate, but if it is I wonder what they'd point to as a reason for optimism. I think I'm known as pretty optimistic when it comes to Arsenal, but no matter how hard I look I just can't find a single positive sign at the moment. We're not doing anything well. Poor defensively, poor offensively, no control in midfield, no cohesion.

Our squad isn't perfect, but it's really good. Can't point to anyone but the manager at this point.

Post #505356  Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:33 pm 

Thing is Haz, apparently his deal is three years with a review after two. If we sack him now we need to pay off the 18 months left. Sack him after this season and we pay nothing as the break clause comes into effect. I hope it’s b%*&s%*^ but it smacks of Kroenke-nomics.

Post #505357  Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:00 pm 

Darren wrote:
Thing is Haz, apparently his deal is three years with a review after two. If we sack him now we need to pay off the 18 months left. Sack him after this season and we pay nothing as the break clause comes into effect. I hope it’s b%*&s%*^ but it smacks of Kroenke-nomics.

It gets worse than that. I’ve been told by a source I trust that Kroenke thinks the club owes him £120m which he loaned it to fund the purchase of players, and he wants it back.

Welcome back Exiled. It’ll take a while before I remember how to spell the new name you’re using.

Post #505358  Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:11 pm 

How quickly Emery fell ............. was sad about it, but now it is disappointment. He is just as stubborn and arrogant as AW.

Post #505359  Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:23 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Darren wrote:

It gets worse than that. I’ve been told by a source I trust that Kroenke thinks the club owes him £120m which he loaned it to fund the purchase of players, and he wants it back.

Welcome back Exiled. It’ll take a while before I remember how to spell the new name you’re using.

It's as clear as day that Emery is clueless, but as we all know, sadly we'll never hit the heights again under this ownership. All we can hope for is a big enough bid to come in from somewhere. But this is likely to go on for years and years.

Post #505360  Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:28 pm 

Emery: "My message to everyone would be to stay calm because we can improve. When they scored the first goal maybe that was the moment we lost the possibility to do anything in the game. Before that our attitude had been good & I was pleased with the way we stuck to the gameplan"

The fans have known for a long time that if arsenal concede first away from home it is nearly always game over.....but for the coach to admit that! There was 22 minutes left, change tactics, change shape, up the tempo - basically do what you are paid to do! So infuriating. I totally believe that the club will wait until the end of the season before parting ways, and it will be a parting of ways because no chance is he making champions league.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12631, 12632, 12633, 12634, 12635, 12636, 12637 ... 14269  Next