Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:37 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], warrior and 157 guests

Post #518401  Posted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:37 pm 

I had hoped Everton would have gotten something out of the game. Never liked Everton when I got into PL football and when I'm just warming up to them they let me down.

Post #518402  Posted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 5:57 pm 

Saw Chelsea was losing on BBC sports feed and turn to the game and the b@astards score. :36angers:

Post #518403  Posted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:37 pm 

Bellerin back in the Spain squad, first time since 2016. Well deserved, he’s started the season very well for us

Post #518404  Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:23 am 

Dominik Szoboszlai’s name is doing the rounds again being linked to Arsenal. He’s 20, a left sided attacking mid with a release clause of £23m. From what I’ve seen his style of play reminds me a bit of Ronaldo, he’s got tricks, pace, strength and looks like he’s modelled his long range shooting from open play and free kicks on Ronaldo as it looks identical. Of course he’ll be nowhere near Ronaldo’s level but he just reminds me of him in a very raw way. Perhaps also someone like Grealish as well, coming in off that left side, dribbling, beating men and shooting from range.
Szoboszlai has been in great form this season and in the champions league and for his country, Hungary.

Post #518405  Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:37 am 

Rich wrote:
Dominik Szoboszlai’s name is doing the rounds again being linked to Arsenal. He’s 20, a left sided attacking mid with a release clause of £23m. From what I’ve seen his style of play reminds me a bit of Ronaldo, he’s got tricks, pace, strength and looks like he’s modelled his long range shooting from open play and free kicks on Ronaldo as it looks identical. Of course he’ll be nowhere near Ronaldo’s level but he just reminds me of him in a very raw way. Perhaps also someone like Grealish as well, coming in off that left side, dribbling, beating men and shooting from range.
Szoboszlai has been in great form this season and in the champions league and for his country, Hungary.

23m, if true, won't represent a big gamble for us.

Another player I like is Bamford. Could be a late bloomer like Vardy. Looks capable of scoring 20 goals a season at the top level.

Post #518406  Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:48 am 

Congratulations to the US for finally seeing sense and ditching the facist populist, hopefully a new dawn awaits and a future based on unity rather than separation.

Interesting that Obama and Bidens former spokesperson slated Johnson’s attempt of congratulations on twitter calling him a shape sifting creep. (Got that one right) I wonder if a new day emerges where the odious likes of Johnson, farage and Patel have to reign in their spread of hate as a new feeling of togetherness emerges.

Things to watch out for, Johnson agreeing a crap deal with the EU, a few “dormant” FBI flies being reopened under a new administration(waves at Nigel) and some embarrassing back tracking from the Tories on undiplomatic comments they made previously in support of Trump.

Post #518407  Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:58 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Congratulations to the US for finally seeing sense and ditching the facist populist, hopefully a new dawn awaits and a future based on unity rather than separation.

Interesting that Obama and Bidens former spokesperson slated Johnson’s attempt of congratulations on twitter calling him a shape sifting creep. (Got that one right) I wonder if a new day emerges where the odious likes of Johnson, farage and Patel have to reign in their spread of hate as a new feeling of togetherness emerges.

Things to watch out for, Johnson agreeing a crap deal with the EU, a few “dormant” FBI flies being reopened under a new administration(waves at Nigel) and some embarrassing back tracking from the Tories on undiplomatic comments they made previously in support of Trump.

A new dawn and a future based on unity.... good luck with that Biden and Harris.
The hate spewed by both sides, and the Dems are just as culpable as the MAGAs, is going to stick in the craw of the population for years to come. Remember that although beaten fair and square, over 70 million Americans voted red.

Post #518408  Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:10 pm 

If one team has to lose, I am hoping its Liverpool.

Post #518409  Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:15 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

A new dawn and a future based on unity.... good luck with that Biden and Harris.
The hate spewed by both sides, and the Dems are just as culpable as the MAGAs, is going to stick in the craw of the population for years to come. Remember that although beaten fair and square, over 70 million Americans voted red.

They have a difficult job no doubt. They have got their initial messaging spot on. Who knows.

Unfortunately your right the damage the MAGA politics of separation that literally drew up battles lines in US will remain for some time. The Republican Party needs to reevaluate the loss and their ethics and return to the strong values of conservative values not misinformation
And racism

For now at least let’s celebrate the fascists are not in power for 4 years

Post #518410  Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:32 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

They have a difficult job no doubt. They have got their initial messaging spot on. Who knows.

Unfortunately your right the damage the MAGA politics of separation that literally drew up battles lines in US will remain for some time. The Republican Party needs to reevaluate the loss and their ethics and return to the strong values of conservative values not misinformation
And racism

I agree that the Republicans need to return to more decent values.
But I question your use of the term ‘fascist’, a real fascist regime either wouldn’t have sanctioned an election, or would have ensured they were victorious. I think all the ‘Nazi’ and ‘fascist’ rhetoric is unhelpful and over the top.

Post #518411  Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:42 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

And racism

But I question your use of the term ‘fascist’, a real fascist regime either wouldn’t have sanctioned an election, or would have ensured they were victorious.

So you think they didn’t try? Have you been paying attention last week.

You think trump retweeting videos of people screaming white power isn’t fascist behaviour. People at his rally’s doing white power signs on camera. Having outright racists like Stephen Miller in his administration, just because they didn’t achieve everything they wanted doesn’t not mean they are fascists.

Post #518412  Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:55 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:
But I question your use of the term ‘fascist’, a real fascist regime either wouldn’t have sanctioned an election, or would have ensured they were victorious.

You think trump retweeting videos of people screaming white power isn’t fascist behaviour. People at his rally’s doing white power signs on camera. Having outright racists like Stephen Miller in his administration, just because they didn’t achieve everything they wanted doesn’t not mean they are fascists.

As offensive as the actions you describe are, a real fascist regime would have used the gift of Covid-19 to cancel the election and mobilise the armed forces to forcibly suppress opposition and would have still been in power now. Still, as time passes people forget about the realities of Nazi Germany and feel justified in bandying about phrases which seem to have lost all meaning.

Post #518413  Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:56 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

But Biden hasn't engaged in that at all, apart from a few choice chirps (like telling Trump to shut up in the debate--classic). When Harris attacked him during the primaries, he just took it on the chin and bore no grudge. Furthermore, he is a genuine moderate, with a history of trying to work across the aisles, and with a working class background. He has great potential appeal to the less visceral of those who voted for Trump. Obama's biggest mistake was to appoint Washington and Wall Street insiders to his cabinet, which allowed Trump to play the 'drain the swamp' card. The signs are that Biden won't make the same mistake.

Its a huge task, maybe impossible, but Biden has been consistently underestimated from the moment he declared he was in the running. He's been quietly effective, tough, likeable and dignified.

So I share Top Gun's optimism on this one.

...and in our game today. Come on you rip-roaring fekkers!

Post #518414  Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:01 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

As offensive as the actions you describe are, a real fascist regime would have used the gift of Covid-19 to cancel the election and mobilise the armed forces to forcibly suppress opposition and would have still been in power now. Still, as time passes people forget about the realities of Nazi Germany and feel justified in bandying about phrases which seem to have lost all meaning.

I haven’t spoken about nazi Germany at all. Fascism and it’s behaviours stem beyond Germany’s activities after 1933.

Post #518415  Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:11 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I don't think he's as antisemetic or racist or has the same imperial ambitions as Hitler, for sure. But with that level of narcissism it probably doesn't matter. He wants to be a cult leader (witness his behaviour at his 'rallies') and the group he needs to cultivate is the white right.

If Trump was currently the leader of Gabon or Zimbabwe, or had been the leader of Germany in the 1930s what do you think would happen now? Would he leave power just because he lost the election? If there were no checks on his power, what would he do? I don't think Trump has any limits and would do anything he could to retain power. This drivel about the dems rigging the vote is exactly him trying to pave the way for clinging to power.

So the key difference isn't that Trump is significantly different from Hitler or a dozen other of that ilk. It's opportunity.

Trump can't get what he wants (and is acting comically like a 4 year old that has been asked to give up his favourite toy) because US political norms and institutions, despite (or because of) the weirdness of things like the electoral college and senate, have proven to be just robust enough.

Post #518416  Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:25 pm 

Decaf wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

I don't think he's as antisemetic or racist or has the same imperial ambitions as Hitler, for sure. But with that level of narcissism it probably doesn't matter. He wants to be a cult leader (witness his behaviour at his 'rallies') and the group he needs to cultivate is the white right.

If Trump was currently the leader of Gabon or Zimbabwe, or had been the leader of Germany in the 1930s what do you think would happen now? Would he leave power just because he lost the election? If there were no checks on his power, what would he do? I don't think Trump has any limits and would do anything he could to retain power. This drivel about the dems rigging the vote is exactly him trying to pave the way for clinging to power.

So the key difference isn't that Trump is significantly different from Hitler or a dozen other of that ilk. It's opportunity.

Trump can't get what he wants (and is acting comically like a 4 year old that has been asked to give up his favourite toy) because US political norms and institutions, despite (or because of) the weirdness of things like the electoral college and senate, have proven to be just robust enough.

I think that’s a reasonable summation Decaf. I am personally glad to see Trump gone. You may well be correct in your assessment of him and what he might have done in different circumstances.
But the demonisation of his many tens of millions of supporters as deplorables and racists, ‘Nazi’ has been widely used by many opponents of Trump, has been going on for years now and I am expecting a great deal of turmoil.

Post #518417  Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:30 pm 

Ok so I try to keep out of the politics normally so no more from me.
Come on the feckers in today’s late kick off :21encouragement:

Post #518418  Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:48 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
Decaf wrote:

I think that’s a reasonable summation Decaf. I am personally glad to see Trump gone. You may well be correct in your assessment of him and what he might have done in different circumstances.
But the demonisation of his many tens of millions of supporters as deplorables and racists, ‘Nazi’ has been widely used by many opponents of Trump, has been going on for years now and I am expecting a great deal of turmoil.

I agree. Millions of people who voted for Trump did so simply because they believed that Trump's policies would be best for their back pockets (fracking for example), and because they are alarmed at what the see (or are fed by the media networks) as a breakdown in law and order, family values, etc.

The looney's on both sides need to be reigned in. I'm sick to my back teeth of the so-call far Left who really only have ready made slogans which they think win all arguments, and think that anyone who disagrees with them a bigot/fascist. They are just as unwilling to engage with reality (and often have similar conspiracy theories) as those on the far right.

Fekkers, the lot of them!

Post #518419  Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:01 pm 

Kane gets a late winner at WBA to put Tottenham at the top of the table.

Post #518420  Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:06 pm 

I am enjoying your use of the double "kk" to give it an Afrikaans twist, Decaf. Well played.

Post #518421  Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:18 pm 

No idea what’s been happening in the Torquay Utd vs Crawley FA Cup match.
Surely must be some sort of record.

Crawley scored in min 90+14
Torquay scored in min 90+18
Crawley then scored in min 90+21.

Never seen a half last that long (except perhaps Arsenal hanging on against Parma - well it felt like that anyway).

Post #518422  Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:19 pm 

long time gooner wrote:

Never seen a half last that long (except perhaps Arsenal hanging on against Parma - well it felt like that anyway).

Is it extra time? Perhaps there's no replays, I'm not sure.

Post #518423  Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:28 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

There is extra time now, but those goals were before that.
A goal has been scored in extra time at 102 minutes to make it 4-3.

Post #518424  Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:39 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

Crikey. Followed by goals at 107, 108, 113, 118. Finished at 5-6.

Post #518425  Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:41 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Kane gets a late winner at WBA to put Tottenham at the top of the table.

Spurs going top lasted 20 mins or so. Foxes up by one against Wolves.

Post #518426  Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:26 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

Crikey. Followed by goals at 107, 108, 113, 118. Finished at 5-6.

How wonderful. English football is so colourful.

How sterile a 'euro super league' would be by comparison.

Post #518427  Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:28 pm 

long time gooner wrote:

Maybe a cow wandered onto the pitch delaying play? Or the ball got a puncture and nobody had a patch?

Does that sort of thing still happen?

Post #518428  Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:08 pm 

Decaf wrote:
long time gooner wrote:

Maybe a cow wandered onto the pitch delaying play? Or the ball got a puncture and nobody had a patch?

Does that sort of thing still happen?

Found this:

The second half was held up for 16 minutes after stand-in keeper Tom McGill, on loan from Brighton, was knocked unconscious when diving at the feet of Connor Lemonheigh-Evans, and the interruption would ultimately prove decisive with Crawley twice equalising in time added on.

Apparently 19 minutes were added, which then stretched out to 21.

Post #518429  Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:14 pm 

Yet more instances today of the nonsense that handball in the penalty area has become.

Not right at all.

Post #518430  Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:15 pm 

dec wrote:
I am enjoying your use of the double "kk" to give it an Afrikaans twist, Decaf. Well played.

I was wondering about that when I saw Bromley's spelling. Lekker!

I do love the cheerful Irish use of 'feck' or 'fock' as the case may be.

Post #518431  Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:29 pm 

Jesus has just scored a ‘Bergkamp-at-Newcastle’ goal for City v Liverpool. Brilliant game.

Post #518432  Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:43 pm 

DHD wrote:
Jesus has just scored a ‘Bergkamp-at-Newcastle’ goal for City v Liverpool. Brilliant game.

No way. Not nearly as good as Bergkamp’s. DB10’s was a masterpiece of design and control.

The Jesus goal was not anywhere that class. It will be forgotten next week.

Post #518433  Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:45 pm 

And ironically....

A dreadful miss by Jesus.

Post #518434  Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:45 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
I wonder if a new day emerges where the odious likes of Johnson, farage and Patel have to reign in their spread of hate as a new feeling of togetherness emerges.

Hate?! That's frankly embarrassing.

Post #518435  Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:47 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
[

And it continues. Do you know anything about fascism? If Trump's US was fascist there would have no investigation in the Russian collusion. No free election. No court striking down his efforts to hide his tax returns. And no one would be allowed laugh at and criticise him.

Post #518436  Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:49 pm 

I think the City defence looks very ropey.

Post #518437  Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:11 pm 

Gunfire wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
[

And it continues. Do you know anything about fascism? If Trump's US was fascist there would have no investigation in the Russian collusion. No free election. No court striking down his efforts to hide his tax returns. And no one would be allowed laugh at and criticise him.

Just because he didn’t get the chance to exercise his complete idea of authoritarian control even if he did try and subvert democracy doesn’t make him not a fascist.

Post #518438  Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:15 pm 

Gunfire wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
I wonder if a new day emerges where the odious likes of Johnson, farage and Patel have to reign in their spread of hate as a new feeling of togetherness emerges.

Hate?! That's frankly embarrassing.

Yes hate,

Farage gets standing ovations at far right rallies in Germany at the "personal invitation" of his fellow European Parliament member, the AfD's Beatrix von Storch, the granddaughter of Hitler's finance minister.

Johnson, Err watermelon smiles, letterboxes ring any bells ?

And don’t get me started on patel.

So yes in summary hate and it doesn’t surprise me at all that you wouldn’t find those things unacceptable

Post #518439  Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:20 pm 

I wonder if there’s a politics forum where I could find some football related posts.

Post #518440  Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:23 pm 

Starting line up today is unchanged from the Man Utd game.

[ 570735 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12958, 12959, 12960, 12961, 12962, 12963, 12964 ... 14269  Next