Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:07 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 100 guests

Post #555441  Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:26 pm 

Terry Henry wrote:
No I don’t agree they were “spanked”!

How about ‘schooled’?

Post #555442  Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:28 pm 

Rich wrote:
The journo who was first with the news on Arsenal signing Martinelli, Willian and Jesus has said Arsenal will place a bid for Brazilian midfielder Danilo after the group stages of the World Cup.

Make of that what you will

Has the Brazilian league ended? I feel like it ends in January. Wonder if there’s any chance of him meeting up early to have a preseason? Don’t think the rules allow it.

Interesting as he’s what, 21? Represents the same buy young projexct rather than go for older more established players a la Jesus. I guess very much dependent on who will be available in Jan.

Danilo looks like more of a tackler rather than a Lokonga type.

Post #555443  Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:29 pm 

Terry Henry wrote:
Go on, be a man!

Not a good look, TH

Post #555444  Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:29 pm 

DHD wrote:
Terry Henry wrote:
No I don’t agree they were “spanked”!

How about ‘schooled’?

This is too easy. Night.

Post #555445  Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:32 pm 

Terry Henry wrote:
DHD wrote:
How about ‘schooled’?

This is too easy. Night.

xx

Post #555446  Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:54 pm 

Jeez we are hard on England managers! Southgate has done better in the major competitions than anybody since Alf. Having seen so many other failures he gets a fair amount of slack from me. USA are tough opponents and the point still leaves us on top of the group. Even if we lose to Wales chances are we go through?

Also talk of Italian tactical genius at Euro 2020 is fine if we overlook the fact that they won their semi and final on penalties. Neither Spain or England were schooled - the cookie simply crumbled the Azzurri way in the shoot outs. Perhaps in this World Cup the Italians will give us a genuine tactical masterclass...

Post #555447  Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:04 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
No it’s deliberate

US are the 2nd best team in the group

Means a massive disaster needed to not qualify in the final game. It’s percentage nonsense and not entertaining

Entertaining. You’re dead right. Zero here. Went to see Worthing vs Tonbridge Angels on Tuesday. Loads of entertainment. I must have used up my fun quota for the week.

One shot on target for each team.

Apparently England had three shots on target (to USA’s one). I must have nodded off and missed the extra two.

Post #555448  Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:56 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
Jeez we are hard on England managers! Southgate has done better in the major competitions than anybody since Alf. Having seen so many other failures he gets a fair amount of slack from me. USA are tough opponents and the point still leaves us on top of the group. Even if we lose to Wales chances are we go through?

Also talk of Italian tactical genius at Euro 2020 is fine if we overlook the fact that they won their semi and final on penalties. Neither Spain or England were schooled - the cookie simply crumbled the Azzurri way in the shoot outs. Perhaps in this World Cup the Italians will give us a genuine tactical masterclass...

Southgate has done better because he has better players. But….

Southgate is a defence-first coach. He has no creative vision nor any instinctive understanding of how to attack. He is out of step with modern thinking. He will not - cannot - take England forward.

Everyone knows this.

Post #555449  Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:03 pm 

DHD wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:

Southgate is a defence-first coach. He has no creative vision nor any instinctive understanding of how to attack. He is out of step with modern thinking. He will not - cannot - take England forward.

Everyone knows this.

I don’t. Another chance to admit you were wrong?

Post #555450  Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:05 pm 

Terry Henry wrote:
DHD wrote:

Everyone knows this.

Might you accept he is is risk-averse?

Post #555451  Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:09 pm 

DHD wrote:
Terry Henry wrote:

And once again, knowing you are wrong, yet again, you attempt to move the goalposts.

Post #555452  Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:13 pm 

Terry Henry wrote:
DHD wrote:

And once again, knowing you are wrong, yet again, you attempt to move the goalposts.

Sorry TH but this is going nowhere. I do not know I’m wrong and I’m not - ‘yet again’ - moving the goalposts.

Post #555453  Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:15 pm 

DHD wrote:
Terry Henry wrote:

Sorry TH but this is going nowhere. I do not know I’m wrong and I’m not - ‘yet again’ - moving the goalposts.

Read the posts again. It’s clear as day!

Post #555454  Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:19 pm 

England got “spanked”, and are managed by a donkey who “everyone” knows cannot take England forward. I rest my case.

Post #555455  Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:22 pm 

Terry Henry wrote:
England got “spanked”, and are managed by a donkey who “everyone” knows cannot take England forward.

Out of the mouths of babes. We agree.

Thank you TH. Night night.

Post #555456  Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:23 pm 

Evidence that you have been spanked, donkey!

Post #555457  Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:25 pm 

Terry Henry wrote:
Evidence that you have been spanked, donkey!

In your world, perhaps.

Post #555458  Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 12:01 am 

DHD wrote:
Southgate has done better because he has better players. But….Southgate is a defence-first coach. He has no creative vision nor any instinctive understanding of how to attack. He is out of step with modern thinking. He will not - cannot - take England forward. Everyone knows this.
What you are effectively saying is that anything less than a final appearance or trophy win is a failure by Southgate? Given England's history, that is some benchmark because competitively he has already taken England further in tournaments than anybody since Alf. Yes there is a case to say that the style of play under him is at times cautious, but that is overstated. Anyway the pragmatists often win more than the entertainers in international football because these are not beauty competitions. Italy are a case in point - World Cup winners five times yet how many of those victories excited the neutral?

Post #555459  Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 5:28 am 

First time I got to see the American team. They have gotten better. We are lacking a big classic center forward. Rashford would do well on the American team. Pulisic is a great player and but needs a better big man. Wright is listed as the CF, good size but we need better. Still, they did well.

Post #555460  Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 5:31 am 

DHD wrote:

Sometimes you just gotta ignore some obsessive folks. Sounds like this guy.

Post #555461  Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:21 am 

Ash wrote:
Phew! Glad to navigate that banana skin!! Glad pundits weren’t predicting easy 3-1 wins… that would have been embarrassing…

“Why aren’t we pressing?”

May I present one Mr. Harry Kane… this team is flawed like most of the teams here at the WC with lots shoe horning in “best players”.

Also think TG is right. Went out to not lose. Which… meh.

Agreed. It starts with a very low energy performance from Kane ... and not a lot more from the rest of the starting front 4. Saka had a poor game and Mount and Sterling are not in any sort of form.

And the yanks were good. The press was good, and when they were going forward, in contrast to the English, they managed to find space and carry the ball well. Every single one of their players looked impressive last night.

England may have gone into the match thinking a draw would be fine, but I reckon the caution approach was partly because of how well the Americans played.

Post #555462  Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:23 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
DHD wrote:
Southgate has done better because he has better players. But….Southgate is a defence-first coach. He has no creative vision nor any instinctive understanding of how to attack. He is out of step with modern thinking. He will not - cannot - take England forward. Everyone knows this.
What you are effectively saying is that anything less than a final appearance or trophy win is a failure by Southgate? Given England's history, that is some benchmark because competitively he has already taken England further in tournaments than anybody since Alf. Yes there is a case to say that the style of play under him is at times cautious, but that is overstated. Anyway the pragmatists often win more than the entertainers in international football because these are not beauty competitions. Italy are a case in point - World Cup winners five times yet how many of those victories excited the neutral?

I agree OMOH. It wasn't a great performance from England, but it was solid. And solid is what you need in these tournaments.

Post #555463  Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:22 am 

There’s a good argument thatEngland should be playing White at RB and Rashford Left wing.
Then you get club pairings of White/Saka and Shaw/Rashford. You have to try to replicate what your best players do for their clubs.

I saw how Saka was pressing on the inside last night and there was an easy out ball to their left-back because Trippier wasn’t backing up the press high on his side. Kane doesn’t really know how to press effectively and it’s also not helped by the back 4 sitting too deep - probably a symptom of Maguire not wanting loads of space behind him.

Finally there has to be a place for Foden in this team. I’m not sure what Mason Mount brings

Post #555464  Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:46 am 

Rich wrote:
There’s a good argument thatEngland should be playing White at RB and Rashford Left wing.
Then you get club pairings of White/Saka and Shaw/Rashford. You have to try to replicate what your best players do for their clubs.

I saw how Saka was pressing on the inside last night and there was an easy out ball to their left-back because Trippier wasn’t backing up the press high on his side. Kane doesn’t really know how to press effectively and it’s also not helped by the back 4 sitting too deep - probably a symptom of Maguire not wanting loads of space behind him.

Finally there has to be a place for Foden in this team. I’m not sure what Mason Mount brings

Indeed. If you are playing with Maguire and Kane you are going to get games like that. Let alone out of form Chelsea players. Kane is worth it because he is probably going to get you a goal, but Maguire?

England looked a lot better when Grealish came on.

I also wonder about Pickford. His unwillingness to come for crosses was on display, and why you have to have lump like Maguire.

Wales is a potential Banana skin, for sure.

Post #555465  Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:19 am 

Decaf wrote:
Rich wrote:

Not much chance of that decaf. We've been poor for a few games now; Bale, Allen and Ramsey not 100% fit and getting slow, and too much inexperience in the rest. Second tier players in the main; we've done ever so well to qualify to be fair.

I just pray it's not a battering.

Post #555466  Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:57 am 

john1 wrote:
Decaf wrote:

Not much chance of that decaf. We've been poor for a few games now; Bale, Allen and Ramsey not 100% fit and getting slow, and too much inexperience in the rest. Second tier players in the main; we've done ever so well to qualify to be fair.

I just pray it's not a battering.

Wales have looked bad and are lucky that the yanks let them back into the game, and of course England should beat them.

But ... if England play like they did against the US and its 0-0 deep into the game, anything can happen.

Post #555467  Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:35 am 

Attachment:

True Gooners.

Post #555468  Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 1:48 pm 

Great penalty save by Wozzer for the Poles and the follow up too :53big-emoticons:

Post #555469  Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 1:50 pm 

Awesome penalty save by Szczesny. Conned the penalty taker. Shaped to go one way and then reversed immediately to make the save. And saved the follow up too.

Post #555470  Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 1:50 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
Great penalty save by Wozzer for the Poles and the follow up too :53big-emoticons:

As you say. :58big-emoticons:

Post #555471  Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 2:00 pm 

Remarkable double save Well done Ches

Post #555472  Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 2:50 pm 

Really enjoyable game, Lewandowski wraps it up for Poland but the Saudi's have been decent. Really pleased for the Poles, have good friends there and have visited many times. Lovely country and people.

Post #555473  Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:01 pm 

Giroud breaking the national scoring record for France is weird.

He sits above so many class players. He always had his strengths but my god Frances greatest goal scorer. Plain weird

Post #555474  Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:32 pm 

Btw Southgate should play Ben white instead of Trippier. Trippier has no connection with saka and they aren’t on the same wavelength. Kyle walker might be different.

He won’t do it because for some reason trippier is a favourite but it’s clear they aren’t a fluid right hand side

Post #555475  Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 5:35 pm 

It turned out this afternoon that I was watching a young Arsenal player in action.

Pretty damn good too. https://www.arsenal.com/ovie-ejeheri-jo ... -term-loan

Ovie has joined on loan from Premier League side Arsenal until January 2023. Ejeheri, 19, signed his professional contract with the Gunners in August 2021 after playing for their Under 18s side, and then progressed last season into the Under 23s, making 8 appearances in the Premier League 2. He appeared in the FA Youth Cup for Arsenal in the 2020-21 season, playing 4 matches as they made the quarterfinals. Last season he played for Arsenal U23s in the Papa John’s Trophy, with Ejeheri playing against Wigan Athletic, Ipswich Town, Newport County and Swindon Town.

Post #555476  Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 7:58 pm 

This is supposedly an English vs Wales fans melee. I have no idea, but their fighting skills are lacking.

https://www.facebook.com/reel/566437668 ... tid=6AJuK9

Post #555477  Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:02 pm 

Out of nothing Messi flicked the switch and revived a lacklustre Argentina. The greats can do that.

Post #555478  Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:20 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Giroud breaking the national scoring record for France is weird.

He sits above so many class players. He always had his strengths but my god Frances greatest goal scorer. Plain weird

Loads of hammerings in European qualifying groups these days and more games than previous generations since the break up of the soviet block. Memphis Depay has more international goals than Patrick Kluivert and Marco Van Basten.

Kane will double Shearer's England tally. He sure isn't twice the player.

Post #555479  Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:26 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
Out of nothing Messi flicked the switch and revived a lacklustre Argentina. The greats can do that.

Awful game and he scored the type of goal he has done so many times. One touch, very little blacklift and early strike into the bottom corner. Lightning fast execution. You could feel the relief. Huge pressure lifted.

Post #555480  Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:27 am 

And while everyone is fretting over whether England can make the final and win it, I am really happy that Australia, won a game and has still a chance of making the round of 16. It not often we even win a game at the WC. Its all relative.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13884, 13885, 13886, 13887, 13888, 13889, 13890 ... 14269  Next