Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:56 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], warrior and 135 guests

Post #505641  Posted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:42 am 

I think Mourinho will be successful for Spurs, from now till end of season. He is just that type of manager who is able to make things happen. He will become the disruptive manager again if Spurs does not give him his toys for the following season.

Post #505642  Posted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:53 am 

Wilts-Gooner wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:
Thank you Levy - in one go you have reminded us all of the lack of class at Tottenham, but more importantly have ensured that turd Mourinho will not be deposited in our part of North London.

As for Poch, yes it would be very droll to have him at Arsenal, but let the head rule the heart so that we can find an experienced manager who has won some big trophies.

What "experienced manager who has won some big trophies" would come to a club that has such limited ambition?.

I'd take Eddie Howe right now because if people think we're getting the likes of Allegri, Nagelsmann or Ten Haag then I think they are in lala land.

Anyway, Kroenke OUT.

What else is there to add?.

Boring, boring Arsenal.
You might just be surprised how attractive a club Arsenal are to football people. Fans tend to accentuate the negative, but I would never assume football managers would be in line with that thinking. When Emery leaves there will be quite a long queue of experienced men willing to take over. In many respects it will be easier to come in after Dick than it was for Dick having to fill Arsene's shoes.

Post #505643  Posted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:03 am 

Decaf wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:
Thank you Levy - in one go you have reminded us all of the lack of class at Tottenham, but more importantly have ensured that turd Mourinho will not be deposited in our part of North London.

As for Poch, yes it would be very droll to have him at Arsenal, but let the head rule the heart so that we can find an experienced manager who has won some big trophies.

I agree completely on Mourinho.

However, I think Poch would be ideal for Arsenal. The fact that he hasn't actually won anything with Spurs really doesn't matter. He knows the PL and he knows how to get a team to play effective and attractive football. He'd be very hungry to prove the lad from the lane wrong. He's also not an a****** which still means something!
Yes, from what we know of him I do like Poch as a man, and judging by the comments made by some of his former players, he clearly has their respect. However, Spurs to Arsenal would be a massive challenge for him. The fans would put him on an even shorter rope than Dick, so he would have to deliver the goods quickly, or planes would be flying.

Ancelotti for me, and a few of his Napoli guys.

Post #505644  Posted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:07 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

:laughing7: while the BBC , CNN , NSBC , CBS , Huffington Post clearly are ...?

BBC isn’t bad and CNN is quite good

Fox is a cartoon for thick people. Watch the loudest voice with Russell Crowe and you’ll see the difference

There is a difference between having a strong perspective (Rachel Maddow for example) and doing what the Republicans and Fox are doing which is ignoring anything that doesn't fit their narrative or calling it fake news.

Yesterday was a case in point. During the hearing Devin Nunes was shouting that CNN was fake news and had put up a headline that was misrepresenting what was happening. If you look at what CNN is saying you find this is not the case at all. There is a diversity of views about how damning Sondland's testimony was.

The fake news narrative and the lazy denigration of NYT, WsPo, CNN, al-Jazeera, etc. is completely irresponsible.

Post #505645  Posted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:15 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
Decaf wrote:
I agree completely on Mourinho.

However, I think Poch would be ideal for Arsenal. The fact that he hasn't actually won anything with Spurs really doesn't matter. He knows the PL and he knows how to get a team to play effective and attractive football. He'd be very hungry to prove the lad from the lane wrong. He's also not an a****** which still means something!
Yes, from what we know of him I do like Poch as a man, and judging by the comments made by some of his former players, he clearly has their respect. However, Spurs to Arsenal would be a massive challenge for him. The fans would put him on an even shorter rope than Dick, so he would have to deliver the goods quickly, or planes would be flying.

Don't think it would happen but Poch to Arse us would be fantastic. Could be another SC23 "signing".

Post #505646  Posted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:28 pm 

gooner7 wrote:
I think Mourinho will be successful for Spurs, from now till end of season. He is just that type of manager who is able to make things happen. He will become the disruptive manager again if Spurs does not give him his toys for the following season.

I have a bad feeling Mourinho will enjoy success at Spurs. Expectations quite different from MU and RM and even Chelsea - he doesn't have to win the league with Spurs, and he's capable of winning them a few cups and top 4 finishes.

Post #505647  Posted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:53 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:

Heard some interesting gossip this morning about the process that lead to Mourinho getting the job. Apparently he contacted Levy around three weeks ago, and pretty much followed up daily, pitching a new philosophy on how the game should be played. He also had to make assurances that he would not revert to type with regard to his more negative brand of football.

Seems he wasn’t first choice as they went after Rogers, but seems he refused to take their calls. Howe and Ancelotti were also on the list but it was felt Howe would need 2 or 3 seasons to make things happen. Ancelotti was beaten to the punch by Mourinho, Levy is desperate for a trophy, any trophy, and the Portugeezer seemed the sure thing.

Post #505648  Posted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:15 pm 

Parkerknoll Gooner wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:

Heard some interesting gossip this morning about the process that lead to Mourinho getting the job. Apparently he contacted Levy around three weeks ago, and pretty much followed up daily, pitching a new philosophy on how the game should be played. He also had to make assurances that he would not revert to type with regard to his more negative brand of football.

Seems he wasn’t first choice as they went after Rogers, but seems he refused to take their calls. Howe and Ancelotti were also on the list but it was felt Howe would need 2 or 3 seasons to make things happen. Ancelotti was beaten to the punch by Mourinho, Levy is desperate for a trophy, any trophy, and the Portugeezer seemed the sure thing.
Yes, with Mourinho in charge you have to fancy Spurs in the cups. He is very good at focusing his team on ties. Get the right draw and you can go a long way in the ECL. Seems like we often got Barca or Bayern - avoid them and you can go all the way.

Post #505649  Posted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:23 pm 

A leopard does not change its spots. If Jose fails to land a trophy the fingers will be pointed at Levy.

Post #505650  Posted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:30 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
You might just be surprised how attractive a club Arsenal are to football people. Fans tend to accentuate the negative, but I would never assume football managers would be in line with that thinking. When Emery leaves there will be quite a long queue of experienced men willing to take over. In many respects it will be easier to come in after Dick than it was for Dick having to fill Arsene's shoes.

So you think we'll get the likes of Allegri, Ten Haag or Nagelsmann?, even they haven't really won 'big' trophies, we will be in the Europa again next season and given we blew a load of future transfer money this summer I can't see the appeal when it is clear the owner wont budge (in any respect), I expect us to be outspent by the majority of top 10 clubs in the league over the next few transfer windows.

No top manager is going to be interested in our tiresome and dreary project, we just have a negative owner. Anyway I've repeated myself enough here, sabatical time from Arsenal for me, might get semi interested again if Emery goes, then again might not, a bit like Kroenke I am just totally apathetic now, exactly what KSE deserve - an empty stadium next hopefully.

Post #505651  Posted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:00 pm 

Any news on why Rodgers wasn’t interested? Don’t suppose it was him expecting to take over at the other North London club (obviously excluding Barnet)?

I can understand people’s concerns at Mourinho winning a trophy in his first year or two at our near neighbours (for those not up on North London geography, Tottenham is a closer place than Barnet). It’s what Mourinho does in his first couple of years. I can thus promise I’ll be even more pleased when Tottenham lose cup games, especially knock out ties, over the next year or two.

Post #505652  Posted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:40 pm 

Wilts-Gooner wrote:
So you think we'll get the likes of Allegri, Ten Haag or Nagelsmann?, even they haven't really won 'big' trophies, we will be in the Europa again next season and given we blew a load of future transfer money this summer I can't see the appeal when it is clear the owner wont budge (in any respect), I expect us to be outspent by the majority of top 10 clubs in the league over the next few transfer windows.

No top manager is going to be interested in our tiresome and dreary project, we just have a negative owner. Anyway I've repeated myself enough here, sabatical time from Arsenal for me, might get semi interested again if Emery goes, then again might not, a bit like Kroenke I am just totally apathetic now, exactly what KSE deserve - an empty stadium next hopefully.

Hi Wilts. Look, I basically think the same of Kroenke as you and unlike some other critics of the KSE ownership regime, I’m far more suspicious of Josh than those who hope things will change radically when Stan pegs it. What’s the evidence? He goes to more games than Stan, I realise that. Sorry but he needs to do a lot more than that to convince me. His comments are very supportive of his father’s ownership regime. Sure, I wouldn’t expect him to say anything else. But I wouldn’t mind a comment or two to cling to at least some hope things could change.

However, I think Arsenal would still be able to get fine managers. Allegri is unemployed, Ten Haag is at Ajax and Nagelsmann is at Leipzig. I reckon all three at this point in their careers would jump at the chance of joining Arsenal, as would Mourinho have done.

Post #505653  Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:09 am 

“My objective is going to be his comeback, to help us and convince every supporter of his commitment to us and [that] his performances will be better, and they will be proud of him in the short or long future with us,” Emery said.

Words, words, words ....... too many times, but yet you get the same old Xhaka

Post #505654  Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:58 am 

Decaf wrote:
There is a difference between having a strong perspective (Rachel Maddow for example) and doing what the Republicans and Fox are doing which is ignoring anything that doesn't fit their narrative or calling it fake news.

Yesterday was a case in point. During the hearing Devin Nunes was shouting that CNN was fake news and had put up a headline that was misrepresenting what was happening. If you look at what CNN is saying you find this is not the case at all. There is a diversity of views about how damning Sondland's testimony was.

The fake news narrative and the lazy denigration of NYT, WsPo, CNN, al-Jazeera, etc. is completely irresponsible.

sign yourself in voluntarily they'll go easier with the treatment ..... Rachel Maddow " strong perspective " :laughing7: :laughing7: Laura Ingraham has five times the intelligence ...

"lazy denigration " ...... get your facts right ..I like Al Jazeera

Post #505655  Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:09 am 

Gunfire wrote:
kiwipete wrote:
:laughing7: :laughing7: without a doubt the most stupid / biased news network on the planet ....

:tool:

:laughing7: Strangely ..... coming from a moron like yourself I find that quite reassuring .

Post #505656  Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:34 am 

bromley gooner wrote:
Maureen at Spurs - don't mind admitting it's got me a little worried. Please God it doesn't go well, because if it does we're in for a lot of pain.

Don't worry Brom ... here's how it will pan out .

Little honeymoon period ; results will pick up a new era will be hailed at Totting .....then a couple of months down the track ; after a loss at Newcastle , Norwich whatever Jose will blame Kane and Ali for not pulling their weight , asking the media how they ever played for England .... and things will turn to custard .

Meanwhile in the happier half of North London we'll still have Unai at the reins f**** things up royally .

Post #505657  Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:09 am 

kiwipete wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:
Maureen at Spurs - don't mind admitting it's got me a little worried. Please God it doesn't go well, because if it does we're in for a lot of pain.

Little honeymoon period ; results will pick up a new era will be hailed at Totting .....then a couple of months down the track ; after a loss at Newcastle , Norwich whatever Jose will blame Kane and Ali for not pulling their weight , asking the media how they ever played for England .... and things will turn to custard .

Meanwhile in the happier half of North London we'll still have Unai at the reins f**** things up royally .

Let's hope you're right about Jose and wrong about Unai, Kiwi. I however remain worried as I think it's likely we'll stumble along going nowhere with Emery, and have a nasty feeling that a rested and reflective Mourinho is going to come back with some of his old vigour.

Post #505658  Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:10 am 

I'll be very surprised if we get anything other than the usual dross tomorrow. If we fail to beat Soton, Emery shouldn't leave the ground as Arsenal manager.

Post #505659  Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:10 am 

bromley gooner wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

Let's hope you're right about Jose and wrong about Unai, Kiwi. I however remain worried as I think it's likely we'll stumble along going nowhere with Emery, and have a nasty feeling that a rested and reflective Mourinho is going to come back with some of his old vigour.

I also think he is working with a more talented squad than he had at Utd.

Post #505660  Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:38 am 

Darren wrote:
I'll be very surprised if we get anything other than the usual dross tomorrow. If we fail to beat Soton, Emery shouldn't leave the ground as Arsenal manager.

Leno, Bellerin, Tierney, Sokratis, Luiz, Torriera, Guendouzi, Özil, Pépé, Lacazette, Aubamayang

I would still have lots of questions over the balance of the midfield and attack, and think there are upgrades required in central defence and midfield but that is probably the 11 most talented players available. They have to find a way to win against Southampton at home.

ps: play Torriera as a holding midfielder!

Post #505661  Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:50 am 

Darren wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

Not sure about that Darren. There are major structural problems with that Totts' squad - not the least being that three of their first choice back four are running down their contracts, as is their major creative talent.

Post #505662  Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:21 am 

Included in the new labour manifesto. They are just clueless aren’t they.
Millions of hardworking Britons needs their help and they seem intent on virtue signalling quests for justice that help nobody.

I am gonna vote after all. Likely Green or less likely Lib Dem’s.

Attachments:

Post #505663  Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:23 am 

Oddly, though we're playing like drains and levels of discontent are sky high again, all our recent fixtures have sold out well in advance of the match day, including - amazingly - the Europa Cup games.

Post #505664  Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:26 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Decaf wrote:

sign yourself in voluntarily they'll go easier with the treatment ..... Rachel Maddow " strong perspective " :laughing7: :laughing7: Laura Ingraham has five times the intelligence ...

"lazy denigration " ...... get your facts right ..I like Al Jazeera

I was referring to the general tendency to describe those outlets as fake news. I know you like Al Jazeera.

Getting back to the point: which reasonably reputable outlet manages to put a positive spin on Putin?

Post #505665  Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:31 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Millions of hardworking Britons needs their help and they seem intent on virtue signalling quests for justice that help nobody.

But how much harm could such an exercise do? Also, it is not mere virtue signalling. Diplomatic relations with African countries for example are pretty important to British interests this sort of things does go down well.

Post #505666  Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:58 am 

Decaf wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

But how much harm could such an exercise do? Also, it is not mere virtue signalling. Diplomatic relations with African countries for example are pretty important to British interests this sort of things does go down well.

How is it helping people really. Time has to move on without dwelling on stuff. Do you think this is a vote winner ? I think it makes them look a little looney.

Half the UK earns less than 28k a year, pretty much nothing. Is this what they want to hear.

I want to see my government run an effective economy, grow jobs and business and protect its citizens. How is stuff like this helping.

It’s just like labour saying they are pushing for unilateral nuclear disarmament. Great idea. Good luck with that guys now off you go and speak to Putin and see how far you get.

All this stuff is about giving themselves a great big lefty boner and nothing else

Post #505667  Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:57 am 

kiwipete wrote:
f**** things up royally .
That phrase has a bit more meaning these days! Anyway, play this nice and loud.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0mQ1ojc9PQ

Post #505668  Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:59 am 

DHD wrote:
Oddly, though we're playing like drains and levels of discontent are sky high again, all our recent fixtures have sold out well in advance of the match day, including - amazingly - the Europa Cup games.

DHD I'm going to the Europa match next Thursday. It think the attraction of those fixtures is seeing Martinelli in action.

Post #505669  Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:02 am 

tomc wrote:
DHD wrote:

DHD I'm going to the Europa match next Thursday. It think the attraction of those fixtures is seeing Martinelli in action.

It’s simply more fun. We play expansive football in those games with more freedom and it’s refreshing to watch young players doing their best.

Post #505670  Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:03 am 

Darren wrote:

Darren he shouldn't leave the ground as Arsenal manager even if we win. 3 points at home against the team in 19th place, if it happens? Seriously how can Raul/Edu not see that Emery is not up to it. Whatever you think of Levy's decision to tank Poch at least he MADE the decision.

Post #505671  Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:19 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
tomc wrote:

It’s simply more fun. We play expansive football in those games with more freedom and it’s refreshing to watch young players doing their best.

Agree about Martinelli, tom - and on the point of playing more attractive football, TG.

It's going to be a bit odd on Thursday. No tickets have been sold to the Germans for some offence they've committed, so the away section will be empty. However as we all know, they're a resourceful lot so there'll be no sales to Red members either. Anyone identified as a Frankfurt supporter will be denied entry or ejected and any Arser who sells tickets to them will have their membership cancelled.

Could be lively if they score.

Post #505672  Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:37 am 

DHD wrote:
Darren wrote:

Not sure about that Darren. There are major structural problems with that Totts' squad - not the least being that three of their first choice back four are running down their contracts, as is their major creative talent.

Apparently part of his sales pitch to Levy was that he's been working on a new system of play with the French crowd for a number of months, Levy has bought into it. The 'structural problems' at Totts is the contract they gave to Kane, seems a lot of noses were put out of joint that they bust the wage cap for Kane and nobody else, hence the exodus.

Post #505673  Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:50 am 

DHD wrote:

Apparently part of his sales pitch to Levy was that he's been working on a new system of play with the French crowd for a number of months, Levy has bought into it. The 'structural problems' at Totts is the contract they gave to Kane, seems a lot of noses were put out of joint that they bust the wage cap for Kane and nobody else, hence the exodus.

There have certainly been rumours about Kane getting a massive pay hike that's created an enormous disparity between his contract and everyone else's. They've always been low payers and clearly, they're not prepared to raise the rest of the squad's salaries, hence the exodus. I can't see them resolving the impasse by throwing money at the problem - just not what they do.

What do you mean by "the French crowd" PG? Sounds intriguing.

Post #505674  Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:04 pm 

DHD wrote:

There have certainly been rumours about Kane getting a massive pay hike that's created an enormous disparity between his contract and everyone else's. They've always been low payers and clearly, they're not prepared to raise the rest of the squad's salaries, hence the exodus. I can't see them resolving the impasse by throwing money at the problem - just not what they do.

The guys at Lille, he's been working with them for some time apparently.

Post #505675  Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:49 pm 

For a time I actually felt pity for Mourinho which I thought I wasn't capable of. A lot of the swagger has gone. He knows he talked too much trash. No manager stays on top forever. Ferguson had a down pariod in 2004 and 2005. And had to fight harder than ever to get the titles he did after that with Chelsea and then City getting money.

Post #505676  Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:01 pm 

DHD wrote:

The guys at Lille, he's been working with them for some time apparently.

Seems he's just poached 2 Lille coaches for his backroom staff. It'll be interesting to see what new system they've evolved.

Post #505677  Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:25 pm 

I'm not worried about Mourinho at all. They might get a short term boost and they have a few easy fixtures to start with, but I don't see him taking them beyond the levels they achieved with Pochettino. The main reason for that is quite simply that I think Pochettino did a superb job and I can't see Mourinho surpassing that without some huge investment.

Post #505678  Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:50 pm 

Im angry at myself because I actually wish Jose well right now. I'm sure (or hoping) it will change by their kick off against West Ham. But I must be softening with age. May even one be tempted to go to the 'User Control Panel' on here and .... :42laughter:

Post #505679  Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:44 pm 

I recall asking who would get the boot first: Poch, Emery or OGS.
Now, between OGS and Emery, I'm going to go with OGS. He's in over his head.

Post #505680  Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:56 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Im angry at myself because I actually wish Jose well right now. I'm sure (or hoping) it will change by their kick off against West Ham. But I must be softening with age. May even one be tempted to go to the 'User Control Panel' on here and .... :42laughter:

Good idea - block yourself and spare yourself from having to read your own b%*&s%*^.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12639, 12640, 12641, 12642, 12643, 12644, 12645 ... 14269  Next