Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:20 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Googlebot, warrior and 99 guests

Post #507601  Posted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:26 pm 

Parkerknoll Gooner wrote:
Not a penalty for me in the Norwich game, interestingly didn’t show the close up angle that shows Kane going into the defender when the pundits were backing Kane.

It's the way the game has gone. I view it as a dive. 20 years ago most players wouldn't even think of going down in that scenario. The modern game is different. It is a circus. Cheating is a bigger part of the game now than it ever was. Sad really.

Post #507602  Posted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:42 pm 

I suggest we change our colors to blue and yellow and call ourselves the Arsenal Rams if you want the Kroenke's to take notice.

Post #507603  Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:49 am 

dec wrote:
Parkerknoll Gooner wrote:
Not a penalty for me in the Norwich game, interestingly didn’t show the close up angle that shows Kane going into the defender when the pundits were backing Kane.

It's the way the game has gone. I view it as a dive. 20 years ago most players wouldn't even think of going down in that scenario. The modern game is different. It is a circus. Cheating is a bigger part of the game now than it ever was. Sad really.

I don’t know whether you saw the Norwich goal disallowed for offside by var. terrible decision IMO. And it would have been 2-0 to Norwich. But once again Spurs gifted by officials. They are the refs darlings. That why they found it so difficult to take the son send off. Usually they get away with it.

Post #507604  Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:25 am 

Ash wrote:
kiwipete wrote:
Alright get off your high horse ... I didn't actually see the 'reducer' I was in and out getting myself some breakfast .

If you’re going to go on an endless list of ‘real men’ players of yesteryear that outshine the pansies of today, without even seeing what I was bloody talking about! I’m afraid you’re going to have to endure me administering medicine with my extra long spoon as I perch atop of my high horse :laughing7:

:laughing7: Yeah righto .... I give up ... the ballerinas win the day .

Post #507605  Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:41 am 

Greeny wrote:
kiwipete wrote:
Just watched extended highlights Leicester v Liverpool .... we could very easily do the same as Liverpool ...all we have to do is
[a] up the accuracy of our passing
[b] control the ball better
[c] shoot far more crisply .and on target
[d] shoot whenever the chance arrives
[e] and attack at pace ... I mean we are nearly there .
Liverpool have 79 points out of a possible 81 .

I'm going out on a limb and make a Socretean type prediction here ...... I reckon they'll win the title .

:58big-emoticons:

I watched the game last night, and I had a slightly different view of it.

I was watching Leicester and thinking we should aspire to that level.

At least this season.

:laughing7: Don't limit yourself to Leicester I've watched the likes of Watford , Wolves , Newcastle , Southampton , Sheffield Utd , Norwich on their good days and think I wish we played like them .

Post #507606  Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:01 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
socrates wrote:
If Xhaka is not in the squad because he is leaving it would seem an inopportune moment to leave him out with Chelsea and United in quick succession. A bit like shooting yourself in the foot.

I'm far from his biggest fan but I would probably have started him tomorrow and against United because Guendouzi and Torreira does not seem to work and there are few other alternatives.

It surely would have made sense to bring a replacement in before selling him, especially with key games ahead.

Sell the arrogant *%^@** as soon as possible. The opportunity to get rid of him shouldn’t be spurned.

Myth of a player. He’s not providing any match winning moments even if we do have a poverty of options.

IMO, mutually beneficial for Xhaka to move on. He will not be playing for the shirt.

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/footbal ... tha-Berlin

Take the offer, 29.9 is too good a price to pass.

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/a ... 84344.html

Post #507607  Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:04 am 

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/a ... 84334.html

Play him against Chelsea please

Post #507608  Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:08 am 

http://dailycannon.com/2019/12/aubameya ... ollow-him/

Very encouraging words from the Captain. Hope Aubameyang means it, and show it in the Chelsea match.

Post #507609  Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:13 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
I suggest we change our colors to blue and yellow and call ourselves the Arsenal Rams if you want the Kroenke's to take notice.

While at it, let's change our mascot to a Ram :12hello-bye:

Post #507610  Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:13 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
socrates wrote:
If Xhaka is not in the squad because he is leaving it would seem an inopportune moment to leave him out with Chelsea and United in quick succession. A bit like shooting yourself in the foot.

I'm far from his biggest fan but I would probably have started him tomorrow and against United because Guendouzi and Torreira does not seem to work and there are few other alternatives.

It surely would have made sense to bring a replacement in before selling him, especially with key games ahead.

Sell the arrogant *%^@** as soon as possible. The opportunity to get rid of him shouldn’t be spurned.

Myth of a player. He’s not providing any match winning moments even if we do have a poverty of options.

I've absolutely no problem with selling him TG but let's do it on our terms at a moment that suits us.

Post #507611  Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:48 am 

bromley gooner wrote:
Attachment:
fd.jpg

Got these for xmas, bit before my time. Any of you even older timers go to either of these games?

Edit: no idea why they're upside down, sorry. Warrior, can you put them the right way up?
Fixed - Rog

Who gave you those ...do they hate you ...?

Someone gave me those for Xmas I'd seriously think about never talking to them again

Post #507612  Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:58 am 

kiwipete wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:
Attachment:
fd.jpg

Got these for xmas, bit before my time. Any of you even older timers go to either of these games?

Edit: no idea why they're upside down, sorry. Warrior, can you put them the right way up?
Fixed - Rog

Someone gave me those for Xmas I'd seriously think about never talking to them again

Explain that to me Kiwi. I have no idea what point you're trying to make here.

Post #507613  Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:16 am 

socrates wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I've absolutely no problem with selling him TG but let's do it on our terms at a moment that suits us.

Quite right ...... and those terms should be ...as soon as possible and to anyone willing to pay a fee .

Wouldn't mind buying Traore from Wolves .... powerful , bustling so and so . Looks the part

Post #507614  Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:21 am 

bromley gooner wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

:laughing7: Okay put simply ; the way we are playing at the moment the last thing in the world I'd want is anything to do with Arsenal .

Are you a collector ...do you want a few more from the seventies and eighties .

Post #507615  Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:09 am 

I think Xhaka should be sold, but I also think a better manager could make more of his strengths and mask his weaknesses better, but his time with us has to be done. I would still play him v Chelsea and Man U as I actually don’t think he is the sort to down tools, he’s been slow, poor, dives in etc but I don’t think his mistakes are a lack of work rate just a lack of application and willingness or ability to change and learn

Post #507616  Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:38 am 

Read a few tactical articles of the tweaks Arteta had already implemented. Basically When building up play Xhaka drops in to a left CB position with Saka pushed very high from left back and AMN pushing inside from RB to make another midfielder. Xhaka/Luiz/Sokratis formed a back 3, torreira and AMN a midfield 2 and the rest an attacking 5. Quite similar to things that Pep does and means that the play avoids the pass from CB to full-back to midfield to CB pointless passing sequence that Arteta has previously said he hates

Post #507617  Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:50 am 

Rich wrote:
I think Xhaka should be sold, but I also think a better manager could make more of his strengths and mask his weaknesses better

How?

The only thing I can think of to make him more effective is tell him to take more shots on goal. He has a booming kick. As far as what we already know about him, I don't think there is anything to be done.

Sell him. Should have been sold eons ago. If he is as respected and good as people are saying that means we should be getting a pretty penny for him.

Post #507618  Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:24 am 

kiwipete wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

:laughing7: Okay put simply ; the way we are playing at the moment the last thing in the world I'd want is anything to do with Arsenal .

Arsenal supporter through thick and thin Kiwi. Nice bit of Arsenal history, interesting reading, what's not to like? Beats the usual rubbish a man of my age gets given at Christmas - dodgy socks etc. :laughing7:
Not a collector particularly found a few good bits when trudging round a few boot sales etc

Post #507619  Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:53 am 

In my opinion we sell Xhaka when his replacement (hopefully there's something in the talk about Rabiot 'cos I like him as a player) has arrived.

I don't think Xhaka is half as bad as people make out. Yes, he has moments of stupidity every few games but I think the main problem is how he has been played. Someone on here (Babu?) commented when we signed him that he wasn't the number 4 we needed as he needed another player to do that for him whilst he was more an up and down midfielder and that seems to have been accurate - indeed I thought against Bournemouth, with Torreira doing the stuff around him, the back of the midfield looked better than it has for a long time. Whilst it hasn't worked at Arsenal for him it is telling that every manager he has had seems to rely on him and often pick him as captain.

Anyway, I've a good feeling about today. Put a quid on a 1-0 with a Xhaka 30-yarder!*

*You can choose which end.

Post #507620  Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:57 am 

Think I'm right that someone on here said this was their first game...as it's today's date...

Attachments:

Post #507621  Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:58 am 

bromley gooner wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

Arsenal supporter through thick and thin Kiwi. Nice bit of Arsenal history, interesting reading, what's not to like? Beats the usual rubbish a man of my age gets given at Christmas - dodgy socks etc. :laughing7:
Not a collector particularly found a few good bits when trudging round a few boot sales etc

Take my advice Bromley - never write a list of what you have for that way madness lies.

Post #507622  Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:13 pm 

Yep it’s time to scrap the honours list all right. Makes us look beyond ridiculous

Post #507623  Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:52 pm 

I hope this won't be one of those matches where I change the channel in disgust and end up seriously emotionally invested if the couple on HGTV are going to keep their present home or sell it.

Post #507624  Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:37 pm 

TAFKAEiN wrote:
In my opinion we sell Xhaka when his replacement (hopefully there's something in the talk about Rabiot 'cos I like him as a player) has arrived.

I don't think Xhaka is half as bad as people make out. Yes, he has moments of stupidity every few games but I think the main problem is how he has been played. Someone on here (Babu?) commented when we signed him that he wasn't the number 4 we needed as he needed another player to do that for him whilst he was more an up and down midfielder and that seems to have been accurate - indeed I thought against Bournemouth, with Torreira doing the stuff around him, the back of the midfield looked better than it has for a long time. Whilst it hasn't worked at Arsenal for him it is telling that every manager he has had seems to rely on him and often pick him as captain.

Anyway, I've a good feeling about today. Put a quid on a 1-0 with a Xhaka 30-yarder!*

*You can choose which end.

Hi TAF.

Xhaka's not in the squad today, ill apparently.

Post #507625  Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:38 pm 

TAFKAEiN wrote:

I don't think Xhaka is half as bad as people make out. ]

I suspect Zed shares your views on Rabiot who has long appeared to show some enthusiasm about him.

I also agree with you about Xhaka. I’ve said before that I was closer to Hazuki and Gunfire’s opinions on him than the over the top critics he has. I’ve no problem with him being sold, assuming he is. But the way some have gone on about Xhaka, you’d think he was a candidate for Arsenal’s worst ever team. He isn’t even close to being that bad.

Post #507626  Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:44 pm 

Hey Soc - yeah just seen that. Hopefully it means a replacement is ready to come in straight away.

Hi Bernard, hope you're keeping an eye on 101 for me. Agree with you about him not being as bad as made out - Jeez with some of the proper bozos we've seen play for Arsenal he wouldn't come close to my worst team (or my best team for that matter).

Post #507627  Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:50 pm 

I think our central midfield could be the problem area today. For all his immense promise Guendouzi's big weakness is defensively, notably getting caught out of position and failing to track runners. That leaves us incredibly vulnerable to counter-attacks.

Hopefully, Torreira can carry on where he left off against Bournemouth and can do that kind of Kante role where he can get around the pitch and make interceptions and put out fires.

Post #507628  Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:54 pm 

TAFKAEiN wrote:
Hey Soc - yeah just seen that. Hopefully it means a replacement is ready to come in straight away.

I hope so but I'd have probably still played him today. People might argue that if he picks up a bad injury any deal could be called off so perhaps that has come into the equation.

I think the next two games are season definers. Lose both and any lingering possibility of 4th place, however remote, has gone completely. Win both and we would be right back in the mix.

Post #507629  Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:58 pm 

socrates wrote:
TAFKAEiN wrote:

I hope so but I'd have probably still played him today. People might argue that if he picks up a bad injury any deal could be called off so perhaps that has come into the equation.

I think the next two games are season definers. Lose both and any lingering possibility of 4th place, however remote, has gone completely. Win both and we would be right back in the mix.

I suppose another take is the gaffer always intended to play Xhaka in one game and Gwen in the other with the games coming so close together. Although for that to make sense he'd probably have been on the bench today. Anyway, onwards and (hopefully) upwards.

Post #507630  Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:11 pm 

Good pass to the Chelsea keeper from Luiz

Post #507631  Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:12 pm 

Bernard wrote:
TAFKAEiN wrote:

I don't think Xhaka is half as bad as people make out. ]

I suspect Zed shares your views on Rabiot who has long appeared to show some enthusiasm about him.

I also agree with you about Xhaka. I’ve said before that I was closer to Hazuki and Gunfire’s opinions on him than the over the top critics he has. I’ve no problem with him being sold, assuming he is. But the way some have gone on about Xhaka, you’d think he was a candidate for Arsenal’s worst ever team. He isn’t even close to being that bad.

Didn't Rabiot say something like there were only a few clubs worthy of his presence?

Post #507632  Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:12 pm 

socrates wrote:
TAFKAEiN wrote:

Lose both and we will be right next to the relegation door

Post #507633  Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:13 pm 

Aubameyang !!!!!!!!

Post #507634  Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:14 pm 

Well earned goal. We are visibly different in our set up. Pressing but there is a structure and strategy to it all.

Post #507635  Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:21 pm 

I like the new found energy from the team. Özil is so driven now.

Post #507636  Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:21 pm 

Looks bad - Chambers hurt - with Mustafi on the bench :20hospitals:

Post #507637  Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:22 pm 

Oh no, another injury

Post #507638  Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:24 pm 

Sense of dread...................

Come on Mustafi have a great game :58big-emoticons:

Post #507639  Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:26 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Rich wrote:
I think Xhaka should be sold, but I also think a better manager could make more of his strengths and mask his weaknesses better

How?

The only thing I can think of to make him more effective is tell him to take more shots on goal. He has a booming kick. As far as what we already know about him, I don't think there is anything to be done.

Sell him. Should have been sold eons ago. If he is as respected and good as people are saying that means we should be getting a pretty penny for him.

On the basis that there have been some fine holding mids without pace. Xhaka is physical enough and has a good passing range that a decent coach could work more on his positioning and in game decision making to improve him. Essentially Xhaka hasn’t improved since the day we signed him, how much of that is him and how much a lack of coaching?

Post #507640  Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:28 pm 

stop fecking about............

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12688, 12689, 12690, 12691, 12692, 12693, 12694 ... 14269  Next