Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:04 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Decaf, Googlebot, Lincoln gooner and 358 guests

Post #477041  Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:55 pm 

Another 3 points in the bag.
Now for the 2 big matches.

Post #477042  Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:51 pm 

Xhaka did brilliantly finding Kolisinac for the second goal. The direct passing from him is such an antidote to the short stuff he’s great for our attacking play. If AW can find the root causes of the losing possession defensively he’s going to be some asset I’m almost certain of it.

Post #477043  Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:52 pm 

Is there anybody there??

Post #477044  Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:36 pm 

Think it’s all a bit depressing at the mo for people to have any interest. If Alexis and Özil play well which they’re going to need to for us to win regularly, we’ll they’re off anyway. All a bit crap even if it’s good.

Here’s a question for anybody there, would you swap, minus £30M, Alexis for Lemar in January?

Post #477045  Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:39 pm 

Also, I don’t think anyone will come in for Özil. Of the £300k+ a week clubs who’s going to offer him first team football? Barca-no, Bayern-no, PSG-no, Real-no, Man City-no, Utd - That’s a very odd maybe according to press but I can’t see it happening. I guess plan is the buying club spreads the no transfer fee over his contract and bumps up his wage to over 300k but is he more likely to win anything like that? Football Contracts are a mess atm. Has it been ever thus? Doesn’t feel like it.

Post #477046  Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:44 pm 

Ash wrote:
Also, I don’t think anyone will come in for Özil. Of the £300k+ a week clubs who’s going to offer him first team football? Barca-no, Bayern-no, PSG-no, Real-no, Man City-no, Utd - That’s a very odd maybe according to press but I can’t see it happening. I guess plan is the buying club spreads the no transfer fee over his contract and bumps up his wage to over 300k but is he more likely to win anything like that? Football Contracts are a mess atm. Has it been ever thus? Doesn’t feel like it.

Off to Man united.

... and has been for some time

Post #477047  Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:00 pm 

Ash wrote:
Think it’s all a bit depressing at the mo for people to have any interest. If Alexis and Özil play well which they’re going to need to for us to win regularly, we’ll they’re off anyway. All a bit crap even if it’s good.

Here’s a question for anybody there, would you swap, minus £30M, Alexis for Lemar in January?

Yes, I think he'd be a better fit..............

Post #477048  Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:03 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Ash wrote:

Off to Man united.

Disagree completely. Who will they drop Rashford or Martial? If he could play the attacking midfielder which is what they miss atm then he would have played that role for us.

I can't see Man Utd or any other club signing him up in January.

Post #477049  Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:07 am 

bubblechris wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Off to Man united.

Disagree completely. Who will they drop Rashford or Martial? If he could play the attacking midfielder which is what they miss atm then he would have played that role for us.

On top of the where does he fit in question I just don’t see him as a Mourinho signing: hard working pressing players. I’m not saying Özil isn’t hard working, sprints, distance covered, etc etc, just that he’s no good at pressing and defending from the front like Mourinho likes.

Post #477050  Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:12 am 

Also what is going on with England’s youth teams!? http://www.football365.com/news/england ... -world-cup
Is it physicality?? I feel like power and pace seem to be a factor in all the goals highlights I see. But I suppose I’m looking for the catch. Can’t be a bad thing but I don’t see the senior set up dominating in anything like the same fashion in the near future so what does it mean?

Edit: https://youtu.be/gfadtDe9eVI These highlights are mental :1laughter: there’s some good play and I think these players probably are more technically skilled than perhaps we’ve seen at this level from England in the past but the goals they score seem to be either:
1) Outpacing the terrible defenders and squaring the ball to the Centre forward who’s also outpaced the terrible defenders and bundles it home, or
2) The ball into the box falling to the attacker and swivel and shoot. I don’t see the same type of players after 5 more years of development having the same result. What do you think?

Post #477051  Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:11 am 

Ash wrote:

Yes, because Lemar has more years to go. Plus, he is French. AW work better with French players. I like Alexis a lot, but his heart is probably no longer with Arsenal. Definitely no longer have any trust with AW.

Post #477052  Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:19 am 

Ash wrote:
Also what is going on with England’s youth teams!? http://www.football365.com/news/england ... -world-cup
Is it physicality?? I feel like power and pace seem to be a factor in all the goals highlights I see. But I suppose I’m looking for the catch. Can’t be a bad thing but I don’t see the senior set up dominating in anything like the same fashion in the near future so what does it mean?

Edit: https://youtu.be/gfadtDe9eVI These highlights are mental :1laughter: there’s some good play and I think these players probably are more technically skilled than perhaps we’ve seen at this level from England in the past but the goals they score seem to be either:
1) Outpacing the terrible defenders and squaring the ball to the Centre forward who’s also outpaced the terrible defenders and bundles it home, or
2) The ball into the box falling to the attacker and swivel and shoot. I don’t see the same type of players after 5 more years of development having the same result. What do you think?

Congratulations England!!!!!

Are there any Arsenal players in the first team, or squad?

Post #477053  Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:38 am 

bubblechris wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Off to Man united.

IF Özil goes to MU, it would be to replace Juan Mata.

Post #477054  Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:43 am 

gooner7 wrote:
Another 3 points in the bag.
Now for the 2 big matches.

Another home win. Our away form has been horrible. Just like last year. A draw against MC would be fantastic.

Post #477055  Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:29 am 

Goonie wrote:
bubblechris wrote:

I think you're right Goonie. Mata's first team place would be most under threat from Özil. Let's not forget, Mata gets games under Mourinho and if he sees Özil as an upgrade, hey presto. bublechris' question gets answered.

Also, everyone has ignored the satisfaction Mourinho would get for nabbing who is commonly perceived as one of Wenger's best players for nothing. Call it petty if you like, but I reckon Mourinho would love the one-upmanship that would give him over Wenger.

Post #477056  Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:21 am 

Bernard wrote:
Goonie wrote:

I think you're right Goonie. Mata's first team place would be most under threat from Özil. Let's not forget, Mata gets games under Mourinho and if he sees Özil as an upgrade, hey presto. bublechris' question gets answered.

Also, everyone has ignored the satisfaction Mourinho would get for nabbing who is commonly perceived as one of Wenger's best players for nothing. Call it petty if you like, but I reckon Mourinho would love the one-upmanship that would give him over Wenger.

If it's in the summer it's a free transfer or if it's January it's a transfer fee of 20 million at most. Either way that's a snip in the market and consider the contracts that Pogba and ibra are on. Signing Özil even for a back up on the bench for 20 million is great business

Post #477057  Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:49 am 

I’m at the point where I’ll be more surprised if Özil doesn’t go to Utd. I think it’s pretty much a case of too much smoke around this one.

Post #477058  Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:15 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:

If it's in the summer it's a free transfer or if it's January it's a transfer fee of 20 million at most. Either way that's a snip in the market and consider the contracts that Pogba and ibra are on. Signing Özil even for a back up on the bench for 20 million is great business

There's also option 3 to sign a pre contract ie sign the contract to join the new team next season. Would Özil sign just to sit on the bench? Still can't see it....................

Post #477059  Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:26 am 

bubblechris wrote:
There's also option 3 to sign a pre contract ie sign the contract to join the new team next season. Would Özil sign just to sit on the bench? Still can't see it....................

But he doesn't have to sign a pre-contract. Moreover, if he did would Wenger not play him when he thinks he has a chance of getting in the top four? I see him not playing Özil under those circumstances as pretty damn unlikely.

Post #477060  Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:32 am 

Sead Kolasinac has been added to the Injury Room.

He has suffered a hip (non-specified) injury and he is estimated to spend around 2 weeks on the sidelines.
The average time lost for this particular injury is 8 days, based on a sample size of 9 injuries of the same type

Post #477061  Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:55 am 

Darren wrote:
I’m at the point where I’ll be more surprised if Özil doesn’t go to Utd. I think it’s pretty much a case of too much smoke around this one.

In 10 weeks time it's more than likely Özil and Sanchez will be plying their trades at both Manchester clubs. Imagine how that's going to feel ? I wonder if the club are trying to achieve a PR signing to placate the upset fans.

If David Dein was still at Arsenal he would be desperately trying to offload these 2 players to Spain or Italy but I expect to see a grinning mourinho and Guardiola in January

Post #477062  Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:28 am 

warrior wrote:
Sead Kolasinac has been added to the Injury Room.

He has suffered a hip (non-specified) injury and he is estimated to spend around 2 weeks on the sidelines.
The average time lost for this particular injury is 8 days, based on a sample size of 9 injuries of the same type

So Monreal back to left wingback and Holding part of the back three? Would love to see likes of Holding becoming an Arsenal regular.

Post #477063  Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:59 am 

50 arsenal goal for Aaron Ramsey.
Piers and Ljungberg the only other midfielders to reach that mark under wenger

Post #477064  Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:37 am 

Goonie wrote:
So Monreal back to left wingback and Holding part of the back three? Would love to see likes of Holding becoming an Arsenal regular.

I'm not writing Holding off but I don't think he's been particularly impressive so far this season. Not sure it's all that unreasonable to say he's gone downhill, relative to how he performed last season.

Post #477065  Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:37 am 

If Moutinho wants Özil then give us Martial and some cash.

Post #477066  Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:38 am 

...in January obviously. Of course it's wishful thinking on my part.

Post #477067  Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:57 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
In 10 weeks time it's more than likely Özil and Sanchez will be plying their trades at both Manchester clubs. Imagine how that's going to feel ? I wonder if the club are trying to achieve a PR signing to placate the upset fans.

If David Dein was still at Arsenal he would be desperately trying to offload these 2 players to Spain or Italy but I expect to see a grinning mourinho and Guardiola in January

Next summer would be my bet. On the evidence so far, how much difference would Sanchez make to City if they sign him in January? If Sanchey wants a January move, which I'm sure he does, he should want City to start dropping points.

Post #477068  Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:13 pm 

Im amazed how Deeney stayed on the pitch v Stoke. He grabbed Joe Allen with both hands round his throat, gauged his thumbs in to his cheeks and appeared to laugh and mock him as they grappled.

This is where we have the stupid rule that if the ref saw it and dealt with it on the pitch it doesn't get reviewed. This is based on some nonsense about undermining the referee in the game. For serious events it should be reviewed no matter what course of action the ref took on the pitch and even if that ref reviews it himself and doesn't change his mind.

Deeney should be banned for 3 matches

Post #477069  Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:38 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:

One thing for certain is that Mourinho will give us f... all

Post #477070  Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:50 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Goonie wrote:

I'm not writing Holding off but I don't think he's been particularly impressive so far this season. Not sure it's all that unreasonable to say he's gone downhill, relative to how he performed last season.

I think most centre backs only come into their own in their mid-twenties. I think it's worth being patient with Holding and even Chambers as our back up defenders.

Post #477071  Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:56 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

Wasn't Mourinho adamant that Čech would not be sold to us, it was Roman that stepped in and let Čech go where he wanted based on years of great service to Chelsea.

Post #477072  Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:12 pm 

Rich wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

Wasn't Mourinho adamant that Čech would not be sold to us, it was Roman that stepped in and let Čech go where he wanted based on years of great service to Chelsea.

Unlikely to happen but Martial would be sensational under Wenger. Wouldn't mind Herrera and Blind either - both contracts expiring end of season. just like Mata.

Post #477073  Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:27 pm 

Goonie wrote:
Rich wrote:

Unlikely to happen but Martial would be sensational under Wenger. Wouldn't mind Herrera and Blind either - both contracts expiring end of season. just like Mata.

There are some good players with contracts ending in the summer of 2018. Goretzka, Gimenez, Moutinho, Luke Shaw, Barkley, Subotic, Rafinha, Max Meyer, de vrij.

Seeing some other names on that list who we've been linked to in the past, someone like Clement Grenier.

Post #477074  Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:32 pm 

gooner7 wrote:
Ash wrote:

Congratulations England!!!!!

Are there any Arsenal players in the first team, or squad?

I believe young winger Emile Rowe is in the squad.

Post #477075  Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:29 pm 

Goonie wrote:
I think most centre backs only come into their own in their mid-twenties. I think it's worth being patient with Holding and even Chambers as our back up defenders.

I fully agree it's worth being patent. However, when I think of some of Arsenal's greatest central defenders including Campbell (albeit at Tottenham), Adams, O'Leary and Keown, they were all top drawer earlier than their mid-twenties. Much earlier.

Post #477076  Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:55 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Goonie wrote:

I fully agree it's worth being patent. However, when I think of some of Arsenal's greatest central defenders including Campbell (albeit at Tottenham), Adams, O'Leary and Keown, they were all top drawer earlier than their mid-twenties. Much earlier.

Lets hope Holding and Chambers' development mirrors Koscielny's - a late bloomer who just needed to be given a chance to prove himself at a big club.

Post #477077  Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:56 am 

Goonie wrote:
Lets hope Holding and Chambers' development mirrors Koscielny's - a late bloomer who just needed to be given a chance to prove himself at a big club.

Indeed, although I suspect Koscielny was an exception rather than the rule. I'm inclined to think you were overstating things a little when you previously said "most centre backs only come into their own in their mid-twenties."

Being at their peak, I'd agree isn't usual for the early twenties. But coming into their own for me happens earlier than reaching their peak.

Post #477078  Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:13 am 

What to make of this season when our more successful neighbours are doing so well eh? maybe one day the power balance will shift back our way but at the moment it doesn't seem likely

Post #477079  Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:32 am 

JohnJensen wrote:
What to make of this season when our more successful neighbours are doing so well eh? maybe one day the power balance will shift back our way but at the moment it doesn't seem likely

Welcome to the forum. Just to make you acquainted, I'm the member with a fantastic hairstyle who is right about everything. :laughing7:

Post #477080  Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:38 am 

Bernard wrote:
JohnJensen wrote:

Welcome to the forum. Just to make you acquainted, I'm the member with a fantastic hairstyle who is right about everything. :laughing7:

Thanks for the welcome :icon_rabbit:

Seems I have competition then as i'm the original Gooner Guru!

[ 571948 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 11924, 11925, 11926, 11927, 11928, 11929, 11930 ... 14299  Next