Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:38 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 102 guests

Post #497841  Posted: Sat May 04, 2019 8:29 pm 

dec wrote:
Rich wrote:
So Alexander-Arnold handballs on the line and Newcastle scores the rebound to make it 1-1. Obviously the ref waited the couple of seconds and realised there was an advantage as Newcastle scores anyway.

However, considering Alexander-Arnold would have had to have been sent off and the penalty would have been given - you have to ask which is the bigger advantage?

20 mins in to a game and you’re 1-0 down. Do you take an equaliser and play the remaining 70 mins 11v11, or take the red card and pen, no guarantee you score the pen but you are guaranteed to play v 10 men for the remaining 70 mins.

I wonder if the situation could arise after the event where the ref asks the captain of the team who scored which decision he wants?

You can't ask a team which option they would prefer. The ref makes the call. He chose to let the goal stand, in which case he should have booked Trent Alexander Arnold. They changed the rule on this. Previously, the ref couldn't play advantage after a red card offence, I think. It's a tough one. If it's the last minute, you take the goal. If it's early in the game, I'd prefer the red card and peno. It needs looking at though, because if Arnold is sent off he gets a suspension so it is more than just the match itself that is impacted.

Sometimes teams do make a referee give the decision instead of playing the advantage. I’ve seen it when someone is fouled dead centre but 25 yards out and the attacking team still have the ball maybe out wide so they stop and effectively demand the free kick

Post #497842  Posted: Sat May 04, 2019 8:39 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
Rich wrote:
Would everyone be happy if we spent £60m on Fraser and Zaha for two new wingers this summer?

I think they'd cost more than that. But Zaha I would like, Fraser is decent but is he really the top quality we need?

That’s kind of my point. Fraser certainly isn’t a star name but he’s proven in the prem, quick, direct and gets goals and assists. What is it Arsenal fans want? We can’t afford any big names so are we more happy with a player we know from the prem or do we want one of those ‘foreign’ players we all know little about?

Fraser will only have 1 year left on his deal so could be us for £20m I reckon. Plenty of value in signing from clubs below us. Man U did it for years and Liverpool have done it a lot recently

Post #497843  Posted: Sat May 04, 2019 8:44 pm 

Fair play to Liverpool for finding a way to win. Another excellent game between these two clubs.

Post #497844  Posted: Sat May 04, 2019 8:52 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
Fair play to Liverpool for finding a way to win. Another excellent game between these two clubs.

Yep, they are forcing a fantastic title race.
Whoever wins it will have to have won maybe 10 straight and win it by a point - so had zero chance of a slip up. Whoever finishes 2nd will have been one of the most unlucky runners up.

The big difference for me is that Liverpool have had to grind or find a way to win games, late goals, opponents mistakes, whatever it is they’ve found a way and fair play to them....but city just seem so much more comfortable in the majority of their wins

Post #497845  Posted: Sat May 04, 2019 10:14 pm 

dec wrote:
Rich wrote:
So Alexander-Arnold handballs on the line and Newcastle scores the rebound to make it 1-1. Obviously the ref waited the couple of seconds and realised there was an advantage as Newcastle scores anyway.

However, considering Alexander-Arnold would have had to have been sent off and the penalty would have been given - you have to ask which is the bigger advantage?

20 mins in to a game and you’re 1-0 down. Do you take an equaliser and play the remaining 70 mins 11v11, or take the red card and pen, no guarantee you score the pen but you are guaranteed to play v 10 men for the remaining 70 mins.

I wonder if the situation could arise after the event where the ref asks the captain of the team who scored which decision he wants?

You can't ask a team which option they would prefer. The ref makes the call. He chose to let the goal stand, in which case he should have booked Trent Alexander Arnold. They changed the rule on this. Previously, the ref couldn't play advantage after a red card offence, I think. It's a tough one. If it's the last minute, you take the goal. If it's early in the game, I'd prefer the red card and peno. It needs looking at though, because if Arnold is sent off he gets a suspension so it is more than just the match itself that is impacted.

Would there not be option to play advantage, award the goal and then issue a red for a deliberate hand ball.

Post #497846  Posted: Sat May 04, 2019 10:18 pm 

Decaf wrote:
gooner7 wrote:
Heartbreak for Spurs fans :42laughter: :53big-emoticons:
Wouldn't it be funny if they contrived to drop out of the top four ...

That Aubameyang penalty miss against Spurs is looking very costly now.

Post #497847  Posted: Sat May 04, 2019 11:01 pm 

Rich wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:
I think they'd cost more than that. But Zaha I would like, Fraser is decent but is he really the top quality we need?

That’s kind of my point. Fraser certainly isn’t a star name but he’s proven in the prem, quick, direct and gets goals and assists. What is it Arsenal fans want? We can’t afford any big names so are we more happy with a player we know from the prem or do we want one of those ‘foreign’ players we all know little about?

Fraser will only have 1 year left on his deal so could be us for £20m I reckon. Plenty of value in signing from clubs below us. Man U did it for years and Liverpool have done it a lot recently

Wouldn't mind either or both but priority must be our defence. A new left back and another CB, please.

Would like to see Nelson and Saka given some opportunities next season - their pace would be a welcome addition to the first team squad.

Post #497848  Posted: Sun May 05, 2019 12:03 am 

If Arsenal gets 4th and also wins the Europa League, who gets the extra ECL spot? How does this work?

Post #497849  Posted: Sun May 05, 2019 12:07 am 

Rich wrote:
Would everyone be happy if we spent £60m on Fraser and Zaha for two new wingers this summer?

I think more of the younger players should come into the squad next season.
Buy experience and talent to fill defence and central midfield.

Post #497850  Posted: Sun May 05, 2019 12:09 am 

Kudos to both City and Pool for grinding out their wins week after week.

Post #497851  Posted: Sun May 05, 2019 4:49 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
This is a brilliant walk down memory lane

https://www.eurosport.co.uk/football/eu ... tory.shtml

I really enjoyed the article and had a special like for this part of the article.

Graham was unwavering on his core principles. As he told a TV reporter: “I don’t think we should try and play the Continental style. I think we are used to playing a certain way in England. A lot of people talk in England about the passing game and all this, you know. Yeah you can pass and pass and not go anywhere. There’s got to be an end product to all the passing and that means efforts on goal, crosses - it means activity in the box. Because you can pass the ball all day long, but unless you get the ball in the box you won’t score.”

Kiwi will probably like this.

Post #497852  Posted: Sun May 05, 2019 5:37 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
dec wrote:

Would there not be option to play advantage, award the goal and then issue a red for a deliberate hand ball.

The rules say you can play the advantage, away the goal and come back for. YELLOW card, but not a red.

Post #497853  Posted: Sun May 05, 2019 5:41 am 

The free kick Liverpool scored their winner from yesterday was soft....when I say soft I mean it was a blatant dive.

We are really bad at this sort of thing. I watch Liverpool and look at the number of dangerous free kicks and pens the buy and compare that to us, the situations are the same but I don’t think are players are good enough at convincing the ref it should be our free kick. It can be the only explanation

Post #497854  Posted: Sun May 05, 2019 6:03 am 

So the door to top 4 is slightly opened again. All we need is for spurs or Chelsea to drop points in any of their 3 collective remaining games.

So will Emery put out a palace type team? I hope not. No problem with Iwobi and/or Mkhitaryan coming in to the team but no Elneny and no jenkinson. Play the best players put Brighton to the sword early on and then bring them all off for a nice rest before Valencia

Post #497855  Posted: Sun May 05, 2019 6:06 am 

Rich wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

Whoever wins it will have to have won maybe 10 straight and win it by a point - so had zero chance of a slip up. Whoever finishes 2nd will have been one of the most unlucky runners up.

The big difference for me is that Liverpool have had to grind or find a way to win games, late goals, opponents mistakes, whatever it is they’ve found a way and fair play to them....but city just seem so much more comfortable in the majority of their wins
Apart from yesterday, it is liverpool that have been winning more comfortably recently. Look at how they have narrowed City's goal difference and goals scored advantage.

Post #497856  Posted: Sun May 05, 2019 6:12 am 

If Watford beat City in the fa cup final then the team finishing 6th will have to start the Europa League qualifying rounds on July 25. Arsenal are due to play a friendly in the US on July 23

Post #497857  Posted: Sun May 05, 2019 6:17 am 

Decaf wrote:
Rich wrote:

Apart from yesterday, it is liverpool that have been winning more comfortably recently. Look at how they have narrowed City's goal difference and goals scored advantage.

I was looking more across the season. Liverpool have score 90+ minute winners v spurs and Everton - both due to calamitous gk errors, 90+ equaliser away to Chelsea. Late winners v Fulham and Newcastle and late goals v Southampton and Man U to win those games.
I don’t think I can recall Man City games where they have scored late to earn points.

Post #497858  Posted: Sun May 05, 2019 7:08 am 

Barcelona are rumoured to be after Lacazette if they can’t get Griezmann. I think some on here were happy with selling Lacazette for the right price in order to raise funds.
What price is right?
Toget someone who does what Lacazette does for us would cost £70m in today’s market so it would have to be £120m to make it worthwhile - and there’s no guarantee any new striker does what Lacazette does.

Maybe actually signing some more creative players means Lacazette scores even more!

Post #497859  Posted: Sun May 05, 2019 8:10 am 

Rich wrote:
Barcelona are rumoured to be after Lacazette if they can’t get Griezmann. I think some on here were happy with selling Lacazette for the right price in order to raise funds.
What price is right?
Toget someone who does what Lacazette does for us would cost £70m in today’s market so it would have to be £120m to make it worthwhile - and there’s no guarantee any new striker does what Lacazette does.

Maybe actually signing some more creative players means Lacazette scores even more!

It’s got to be close to 100 million.

I wouldn’t sell though. He will be tough to replace

Post #497860  Posted: Sun May 05, 2019 11:11 am 

Rich wrote:
Decaf wrote:

I was looking more across the season. Liverpool have score 90+ minute winners v spurs and Everton - both due to calamitous gk errors, 90+ equaliser away to Chelsea. Late winners v Fulham and Newcastle and late goals v Southampton and Man U to win those games.
I don’t think I can recall Man City games where they have scored late to earn points.

Indeed. They have had some incredible luck. The last minute winner against Everton is something you'd get every 3 or 4 years at best and they have two this season. Eliminate one of those and City are comfortable.

Post #497861  Posted: Sun May 05, 2019 1:48 pm 

Re Lacazette, it would have to be £100m or more to make it worth our while. Not sure who's out there that would bring as much. Also he seems good for team spirit.

Re Spurs, Its astonishing that having been so far behind them and losing 4 of our last 6 league games, we could yet overtake them if Everton do us a favour. Remarkably yesterday they finished with 9 men, but were lucky not to concede 3 penalties and Dier should have been given about 5 yellow cards - and that's only looking at brief highlights.

Spurs are a dirty, cheating, diving team, and for all their excellence as a unit, are heavily reliant on 4 or 5 players.

Post #497862  Posted: Sun May 05, 2019 1:51 pm 

Chelsea drawing at home - would be a great result for us. Would put us back in control of our destiny, while still leaving the possibility of Spurs not making the top 4!

Post #497863  Posted: Sun May 05, 2019 2:12 pm 

lomekian wrote:
Chelsea drawing at home - would be a great result for us. Would put us back in control of our destiny, while still leaving the possibility of Spurs not making the top 4!

Watford all over Chelsea first half. Could’ve been in front. Switch off at two set pieces and now down two nil.

Post #497864  Posted: Sun May 05, 2019 2:18 pm 

That’s top 4 gone then.

Basically we need Leicester to beat them if we win both our games. They’ll get a point there.

Post #497865  Posted: Sun May 05, 2019 2:24 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
That’s top 4 gone then.

Basically we need Leicester to beat them if we win both our games. They’ll get a point there.

If we win both our games and they draw, goal difference is going to be mighty close.

Post #497866  Posted: Sun May 05, 2019 2:33 pm 

Decaf wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
That’s top 4 gone then.

If we win both our games and they draw, goal difference is going to be mighty close.

3 Chelsea goals now. Goal difference option disappearing over the horizon unless Brighton...now safe...lay down.

Post #497867  Posted: Sun May 05, 2019 2:46 pm 

Decaf wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
That’s top 4 gone then.

Overtaking Tottenham might be easier. They have Everton last game of the season and will be without Son and presumably Kane too.

Post #497868  Posted: Sun May 05, 2019 2:56 pm 

Spurs will get at least a point againest Everton. They are at home.

I’d be shocked if either Chelsea or Tottenham blow it.

If we had only got a point at Molineux and a point v palace we would be in such a stronger position.

Mustafi should taken round the back and shot

Post #497869  Posted: Sun May 05, 2019 3:02 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Spurs will get at least a point againest Everton. They are at home.

I’d be shocked if either Chelsea or Tottenham blow it.

If we had only got a point at Molineux and a point v palace we would be in such a stronger position.

Mustafi should taken round the back and shot

Tottenham are well able to bottle it. Sadly, so are we. If we do manage to win our two remaining games, a draw between Everton and Tottenham would be enough for us.

Post #497870  Posted: Sun May 05, 2019 3:06 pm 

How premature does the permanent appointment of Solskjaer look now? As bad as we are, they have had an abysmal season.

Post #497871  Posted: Sun May 05, 2019 3:35 pm 

dec wrote:
How premature does the permanent appointment of Solskjaer look now? As bad as we are, they have had an abysmal season.

Give him till Christmas. Thing is the fingers might well pointed higher up the chain of command at Old Trafford.

Post #497872  Posted: Sun May 05, 2019 3:39 pm 

Ok, get the first goal now!

Post #497873  Posted: Sun May 05, 2019 3:40 pm 

There you go Aubameyang

Post #497874  Posted: Sun May 05, 2019 3:43 pm 

Shocking ref gifts us a goal imo.................

Taylor is such a wanka.

Post #497875  Posted: Sun May 05, 2019 3:46 pm 

Sokratis definitely has a screw loose.

Post #497876  Posted: Sun May 05, 2019 3:46 pm 

bubblechris wrote:

Taylor is such a wanka.

He's a useless ref. Wasn't a peno. And now he's booked Sokratis for diving when he was actually fouled.

Post #497877  Posted: Sun May 05, 2019 3:47 pm 

That's 12 yellows for Sokratis. Well done ...

Post #497878  Posted: Sun May 05, 2019 3:48 pm 

dec wrote:
bubblechris wrote:

Taylor is such a wanka.

He's a useless ref. Wasn't a peno. And now he's booked Sokratis for diving when he was actually fouled.

Looked like a dive to me Dec

Post #497879  Posted: Sun May 05, 2019 3:49 pm 

dec wrote:
bubblechris wrote:

Taylor is such a wanka.

Looked like a dive tbh.

Post #497880  Posted: Sun May 05, 2019 4:00 pm 

ZZZZ. ZZZZ. ZZZZ.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12444, 12445, 12446, 12447, 12448, 12449, 12450 ... 14269  Next