Fixtures Sunday April 28th - Tottenham Hotspur - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - 2:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:32 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: old man of hoy, warrior and 149 guests

Post #504241  Posted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:44 pm 

richie wrote:
I gather Brendan Rodgers amongst others was being touted as Wenger's replacement and i would have welcomed it but think it was lukewarm with the fans. .

Hard to understand why. Rodgers would have shaken things up at the club all right.

Post #504242  Posted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:17 pm 

So important to have that manager who players will run through a brick wall for. Pep, Klopp, Poch (apart from this season) and plenty of other examples lower down the league. If a manager can motivate and get every player to play the best they can, with total commitment, desire and form that with proper tactics and teamwork then you create a team greater than he sum of its parts. Sadly we’ve been a team far less than the sum of its parts for years. I don’t think a manager has really roused arsenal players for a sustained period of games for 10 years

Post #504243  Posted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:45 pm 

Decaf wrote:
..highly astute footballer who made a lot of what was a moderate level of talent...
Oi!

Post #504244  Posted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:00 pm 

Decaf wrote:
Terry Henry wrote:
Have you thought about seeing a psychiatrist about your obsession and paranoia with all things English?

Considering that Gaz is saying he's pleased that England won ... have you thought of seeing a psychiatrist about your obsession and paranoia with any criticism of things English?

I might have known you would stick your oar in, another pea in the inferiority complex pod!

Post #504245  Posted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:28 pm 

Have a look at the last minute penalty given by VAR (the first one this season!) for Brighton v Everton.....and then compare it to the plenty that haven’t been given including the shirt pull on Sokratis last week.

Post #504246  Posted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:39 pm 

Chavski win a tough away game, Leicester set a new record score, if we're not careful we'll be miles off a CL place in the next couple of months, I would sack Emery if we drop points tomorrow, we all know that wont happen but the result when we play Leicester in 3 games time should be enough for KSE to react, if we lose that after having dropped points at home against either Palace and/or Wolves he should be sacked, otherwise the only banners that should be out are for them rather than Dick.

It will be Wenger all over again...

Post #504247  Posted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:53 pm 

Wilts-Gooner wrote:

It will be Wenger all over again...

Nah. It’ll never be like Wenger as no one is emotionally invested in Emery. I’d give him until Christmas to see what’s what. Having said that, we know he’s not the right man so I guess these next few games should tell us enough.

Post #504248  Posted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:48 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
kiwipete wrote:
After being robbed of the cricket world cup let's hope the poxy little nation can deal to the evil ex - colonial power now a Brexit mess in the rugby

....... kicking off right now ......: go the All Blacks

2nd minute 7-0 to the evil ex-colonials

:laughing7: Yeah Brom .... watched the first 20 minutes England ....bigger , stronger , kept the ball in hand creating all sorts of problems ....... in the same period NZ put in three bloody aimless kicks handing back possession

Our backline were all midgets ...... saw the writing on the wall , went to bed .

Wake up this morning check the news ... we lost ...... Gallic shrug of the shoulders ...... C'est la vie .

Post #504249  Posted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:33 pm 

Terry Henry wrote:
:14laughter: :14laughter:
kiwipete wrote:
After being robbed of the cricket world cup let's hope the poxy little nation can deal to the evil ex - colonial power now a Brexit mess in the rugby

....... kicking off right now ......: go the All Blacks

Arses well and truly kicked by the evil ex-colonials :2laughter:

Having trouble being noticed on the forum .......... ?

Post #504250  Posted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:52 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
As Darren says football is not that complicated, so I don't buy the 'game passing him by' analysis of top class managers, of which Ferguson was the ultimate, and Arsene and Mourinho good examples. When teams struggle it is too easy to blame the manager rather than the players. People thought Ranieri was outmoded until he spurred Leicester to great things. I have no time for Mourinho, and would feel a bit dirty if he ever managed Arsenal, but his record speaks for itself. Wherever he goes he wins trophies, even if his immediately preceding club fortunes were mixed. I see no evidence of his management skills being diminished - if only!

On Freddie, presumbly as an assistant his word only goes so far. As a man who frequently benefited from the wonderful passing of Dennis and Thierry, it would be intriguing to know if he agrees with Özil's banishment to Siberia.

I wonder if you’re oversimplifying football too much. What makes a great team is down to various factors, many of which will be based on opinion rather than proven fact. Most managers have a way of doing things based on their opinions of what works. But the game constantly evolves and if managers don’t modify their methods in line with such changes, I think they can be left behind. For example, what worked previously for Mourinho may not work now. An even more extreme example is what once worked magnificently for Clough stopped working to the extent that he got Forest relegated.

With Ljungberg, if his thoughts, opinions and views have no effect at all, what is the point in employing him? Emery will have much more say in team tactics and selection, and makes the final decision. But as he presumably chats to Fred, what advice is he getting? If it really is none at all, or even worse bad advice, what does that say about our prospects if Ljungberg does take over?

Post #504251  Posted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:03 pm 

Terry Henry wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
I am tipping that alcohol consumption is up in NZ. At least I don’t have to listen to their supporters telling me endlessly about how great they are. Bit like Liverpool supporters. Mind you it is the only time I wish for England to win anything. And I mean anything.

Have you thought about seeing a psychiatrist about your obsession and paranoia with all things English?

Yes but I decided I was correct. Thanks for your helpful comments.

Post #504252  Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:18 am 

I can't believe I'm actually contemplating watching Liverpool vs. Tottenham instead and go to our highlights.

Post #504253  Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:06 am 

Rich wrote:
Have a look at the last minute penalty given by VAR (the first one this season!) for Brighton v Everton.....and then compare it to the plenty that haven’t been given including the shirt pull on Sokratis last week.

Blame Mike Riley, football's nemesis, who unlike the rest of Europe decided to not give penalties unless they are seen by the ref and to never question the RAF's decision.

He wrecks everything he touches..

Post #504254  Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:39 am 

Terry Henry wrote:
Decaf wrote:
Considering that Gaz is saying he's pleased that England won ... have you thought of seeing a psychiatrist about your obsession and paranoia with any criticism of things English?

I might have known you would stick your oar in, another pea in the inferiority complex pod!

As a matter of fact I like the English and England. Why are you so sensitive? Not enough real enemies to blame everything on so needing to invent some?

Post #504255  Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:06 am 

kiwipete wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:
2nd minute 7-0 to the evil ex-colonials

:laughing7: Yeah Brom .... watched the first 20 minutes England ....bigger , stronger , kept the ball in hand creating all sorts of problems ....... in the same period NZ put in three bloody aimless kicks handing back possession

Our backline were all midgets ...... saw the writing on the wall , went to bed .

Wake up this morning check the news ... we lost ...... Gallic shrug of the shoulders ...... C'est la vie .

Morning Kiwi. Who is your money on now? Can't see Wales stopping the Boere, but I live in hope.

Post #504256  Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:41 am 

Decaf wrote:
Morning Kiwi. Who is your money on now? Can't see Wales stopping the Boere, but I live in hope.

If ‘the Boere’ is the South African team, why don’t you want them to win? Or am I not the only sporting equivalent of Kim Philby round here? :laughing7:

Post #504257  Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:02 am 

Rooting for the Welsh, but if I was a betting man my money would be on South Africa.

Post #504258  Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:14 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
I can't believe I'm actually contemplating watching Liverpool vs. Tottenham instead and go to our highlights.

Arsenal through and through.

Post #504259  Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:31 am 

Decaf wrote:
Terry Henry wrote:

As a matter of fact I like the English and England. Why are you so sensitive? Not enough real enemies to blame everything on so needing to invent some?

Sadly he fails to understand that you can be fond of a country but that doesn't mean you want them to succeed on the sports field. Otherwise what is the purpose of the ashes from an Austn perspective. England is a great place to visit and like everywhere some people are nice and some are not.

Post #504260  Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:33 am 

Bernard wrote:
Decaf wrote:

If ‘the Boere’ is the South African team, why don’t you want them to win? Or am I not the only sporting equivalent of Kim Philby round here? :laughing7:

Did you used to have dinner with Anthony Blunt?

Post #504261  Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:44 am 

Decaf wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

The All Blacks got what they deserved yesterday. They are a tremendous side but were so arrogant in that match. England were playing them off the pitch. Sinclair knocked on and they started sledging. Pathetic carry-on. They had all the signs of a team that thought they only had to turn up to win.

Post #504262  Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:46 am 

If Özil is being omitted from a side desperately lacking creativity and a link from midfield to attack based on a) his inability to follow or fit in to the game plan and b) his poor off the ball workrate then that is a damning indictment of him. Both of those things are nothing to do with talent, it’s all about desire and hard work on the training pitch and on match day to prove you can change and prove you can play.
Irrespective of whether you agree with the coach it seems sad that Özil can’t seem to put in the hard work to get in the squad at all. His career at Arsenal now looks completely over, far too far gone down the line....unless emery gets the sack any time soon.
Look at the players for other top teams who play in a similar position, de Bruyne, Silva, eriksen, Lamela, mount, Willian, Maddison, tielemans, Liverpool don’t really have a similar position but possibly winajldum or firminho. Every single one has exceptional work rate and discipline to go with their creative talents

Post #504263  Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:03 am 

bromley gooner wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

One wonders why he would watch Liverpool vs Spurs, since it will surely bring him no pleasure. Liverpool failing to win and he has to keep the rubber sheets on the bed, and Spurs winning?

Post #504264  Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:08 am 

Rich wrote:
If Özil is being omitted from a side desperately lacking creativity and a link from midfield to attack based on a) his inability to follow or fit in to the game plan and b) his poor off the ball workrate then that is a damning indictment of him. Both of those things are nothing to do with talent, it’s all about desire and hard work on the training pitch and on match day to prove you can change and prove you can play.
Irrespective of whether you agree with the coach it seems sad that Özil can’t seem to put in the hard work to get in the squad at all. His career at Arsenal now looks completely over, far too far gone down the line....unless emery gets the sack any time soon.
Look at the players for other top teams who play in a similar position, de Bruyne, Silva, eriksen, Lamela, mount, Willian, Maddison, tielemans, Liverpool don’t really have a similar position but possibly winajldum or firminho. Every single one has exceptional work rate and discipline to go with their creative talents

Off the ball work-rate? Özil has always always made himself available for the pass when we are in possession. Currently, we are the most static I have ever seen us. When it comes to off the ball running when we are not in possession, then he is undoubtedly poor. But he's also a rubbish tackler. That's not exactly unusual for a player who has spent his entire career as a creative attacker. He's essentially a No.10. Half the team is useless at tracking runners including our deepest midfielder. And I would have thought the argument that Özil weakens us defensively is irrelevant at this stage. He hasn't played this season and our defending is as bad as ever.

Post #504265  Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:11 am 

Rich wrote:

Özil not playing isn’t something I’m going to jump on the bandwagon of criticising Emery over. Even when he is occasionally selected, Özil looks like he’d rather be doing something other than playing football. It really wouldn’t surprise me if what he said he’d do a couple or so weeks ago turns out to be what happens. He’ll stay at the club until his contract ends in 2021 picking up his £350k a week because he knows he wouldn’t get anything like that wage elsewhere. The most likely way to get rid of Özil is him agreeing to go on loan, where Arsenal would still be paying a large part of his salary.

I doubt a new manager would change things either. I simply think Özil has lost his desire to play football.

Post #504266  Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:18 am 

Bernard wrote:
Decaf wrote:

No mystery. I just don't like the SA rugby team and supporters. The epitome of boneheadedness.

Post #504267  Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:39 am 

Looking forward to seeing Xhaka and Kolasinac back in the team today.

Post #504268  Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:45 am 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:

Özil not playing isn’t something I’m going to jump on the bandwagon of criticising Emery over. Even when he is occasionally selected, Özil looks like he’d rather be doing something other than playing football. It really wouldn’t surprise me if what he said he’d do a couple or so weeks ago turns out to be what happens. He’ll stay at the club until his contract ends in 2021 picking up his £350k a week because he knows he wouldn’t get anything like that wage elsewhere. The most likely way to get rid of Özil is him agreeing to go on loan, where Arsenal would still be paying a large part of his salary.

I doubt a new manager would change things either. I simply think Özil has lost his desire to play football.

I couldn't agree more.

Post #504269  Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:47 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Looking forward to seeing Xhaka and Kolasinac back in the team today.

:1cry:

Post #504270  Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:49 am 

Decaf wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:

One wonders why he would watch Liverpool vs Spurs, since it will surely bring him no pleasure. Liverpool failing to win and he has to keep the rubber sheets on the bed, and Spurs winning?

As a football fan you watch your own team above all else as that's what you have most invested in. Other games, like Liverpool v Spurs, are of interest but secondary to the Arsenal game surely. Essentially, American is an 'EPL' fan who's picked Arsenal for whatever reason as his favourite team, but ultimately he's more interested in what for neutrals is the biggest game of the day.

Post #504271  Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:57 am 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:

This is pretty spot on and echo my thoughts too.

I also think Özil might have some bad people advising him.

Wasn’t the suggestion or rumour this week that Özil is actually on a 3 week disciplinary absence because of something he did whilst Emery was absent. There were all sorts of crazy rumours as well that he paid some staff 30 grand to cover up for him not doing a training session.

I have a feeling unless Emery is sacked, we will end up loaning him out this summer and probably paying half of his ridiculous weekly wage.

Post #504272  Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:14 am 

Re: Özil. I think Raul has echoed Emery's sentiments regarding him. Clearly this goes beyond just Emery not fancying the player as it appears to be an agreed position with everyone at the club.

Post #504273  Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:23 am 

After his abysmal performance in the Europa final there wouldn’t be many managers who would have took that as anything except the final straw.

Post #504274  Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:48 pm 

Forewent my Sunday lie in to watch Wales v SA. One hour of my life I won't get back.

Post #504275  Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:10 pm 

Gunfire wrote:
Forewent my Sunday lie in to watch Wales v SA. One hour of my life I won't get back.

Wasn't the most entertaining, was it.

Post #504276  Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:48 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
Gunfire wrote:

The final will probably go the same way. SA have learned that flair and creativity is just not their thing.

Post #504277  Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:43 pm 

Tierney in for Kolasinac, Lacazette for Saka, midfield three of Xhaka, Guendouzi and Ceballos.

Post #504278  Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:45 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
Tierney in for Kolasinac, Lacazette for Saka, midfield three of Xhaka, Guendouzi and Ceballos.

Exciting change and about time to see Tierney in for Kola.

Post #504279  Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:49 pm 

A draw between Pool and Sperts works best for me

Post #504280  Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:55 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
Gunfire wrote:

The final will probably go the same way. SA have learned that flair and creativity is just not their thing.

[ 571932 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12604, 12605, 12606, 12607, 12608, 12609, 12610 ... 14299  Next