Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:51 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], warrior and 91 guests

Post #486881  Posted: Mon May 14, 2018 5:15 am 

Can't stand the mouthy oik, but that statement is not only false but legally actionable. Surprised the Admins. would allow something so blatantly libellous to stand.

Post #486882  Posted: Mon May 14, 2018 5:45 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Thanks to Warrior & all the other moderators for another season.

Thank you to Judith & the family for allowing this forum to continue in Steve’s name.

:11adore-boo:

Post #486883  Posted: Mon May 14, 2018 6:46 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
He won the title with Chelsea in his first season and won the cha,pions league with Madrid.

Yeah, the point is not that hasn't been successful, I know he won the league with PSG and Bayern as well. But that was under a completely different set of circumstances. Those teams were already mostly assembled and ready to go and his job was to get a superstar squad to perform. With Arsenal there's a fair amount of building to do, both in tearms of transfers and in our entire approach to the game. Last team he really built was Milan, and while they were great under him that was more than 15 years ago.

I think the point about Arteta perhaps being a bit close to his playing days at Arsenal is completely fair, but the inexperience doesn't bother me. Vieira only has a couple of MLS seasons on his resumé, and two years ago Julian Nagelsmann (whom most fans seem ok with) had never managed a first team game. He's done pretty well regardless of that.

Post #486884  Posted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:58 am 

Another aspect to consider is that we’ve moved away from the days when Wenger as manager was in complete control. We now have a different structure in place with Mislintat clearly being more involved in recruitment than just scouting players, and Raul Sanllehi who has a background as director of football at Barcelona. Takes some of the pressure off an inexperienced manager who will probably not be as heavily involved in transfer negotiations and the financial side of things, and can focus more on the coaching and tactical aspect of football management.

Post #486885  Posted: Mon May 14, 2018 8:52 am 

Arsenalia wrote:
Can't stand the mouthy oik, but that statement is not only false but legally actionable. Surprised the Admins. would allow something so blatantly libellous to stand.

What statement?

Post #486886  Posted: Mon May 14, 2018 9:09 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
What statement?

oh. Cold here mate 12 degrees overnight 29 during the day. We might have to find the blankets. How is it over there.

Post #486887  Posted: Mon May 14, 2018 9:32 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
kiwipete wrote:
Darren saying DT was in court for assault ; when he was actually in hospital being treated for Chron's ......... I guess

oh. Cold here mate 12 degrees overnight 29 during the day. We might have to find the blankets. How is it over there.

Beautiful fine day Gaz ......at the moment absolutely bucketing down . There are a lot of water stressed countries in the world NZ sure as hell isn't one of them .
Had major flooding in parts of the town couple of weeks back .... how's this for health and safety going right of the rails .

People were offering to shelter those effected BUT weren't allowed to do so if their house had been built before 1990 because they don't meet new earthquake regulations . ???

Post #486888  Posted: Mon May 14, 2018 11:26 am 

From Red Cafe. Absolutely spot on in my book...................

Quote:
Arsenal would be utterly foolish if they appoint Allegri. It's too much of a change in direction. They're a few tactical tweaks and squad additions/subtractions away from challenging. They're not this bad.

What they need is a new voice to begin with, not to completely abandon their values for a full overhaul. That wouldn't brake their fall at all, it would probably make it worse.

From youth to senior, at every level, Arsenal's entire structure is built on technical ability and possession football. All players brought in at the club is of that type, yes, all the way down to the youngest their squads. It's the philosophy with which they identify.

They need a coach with similar vision, who can build on that foundation and strengthen it, instead of just chucking it away. Over two decades of recruitment and development in that path, departing from it would be a big and unnecessary risk.

A coach like Allegri would rather fit Chelsea, not Arsenal. That so many Arsenal (or pundits) fans don't recognise how big of change a coach like Allegri would equal and how big of a risk it poses, is incomprehensible to me. Big changes require lots of time, especially changes to a project nearly a quarter of a century old.

Sarri, Fonseca, or Jardim would make much more sense for Arsenal. Arsenal should also not appoint the likes of Vieira, Henry, Arteta etc. Like, seriously? How are they even mentioned as potential candidates? They're not ready.

I want to see Arsenal back in the top four at the expense of Liverpool. Liverpool must be reminded that they're where they are because the likes of Chelsea and Arsenal (and us, until now) have been underperforming in recent seasons, Liverpool's true place in the hierarchy nowadays is mediocrity, they should go back to that.

Get this right, Arsenal.

Post #486889  Posted: Mon May 14, 2018 12:42 pm 

thofman wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

A lot could be read into that.

Gary Neville has jumped the gun here but if we end up appointing Arteta I would venture to suggest he's possibly right. Think of all the managers available over the last few years to only choose Arteta (btw a few itk types were suggesting that his relationship with the players is far from the great one portrayed ) would be fundamentally disappointing

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football ... ssion=true

Some brilliant analysis from Neville here, "with Enrique they found out he wanted too much money. They found out after they approached him? They must have known." WTF?? They're supposed to know without actually consulting him how much he wants? Well, Enrique might be a fit but let's not even bother contacting his people because @tosser on Twitter says he wants a 20 million salary and a quarter billion for transfers... Yes indeed, that sounds about the right way to get the best man for the job. Neville is a f****** windbag.

I think a lot of the media are getting upset because Arsenal seem to be playing this very close to their chest. Nobody really knows anything, hardly any leaks, nothing from Arsenal to brief the press on, so they are left grasping at straws and having to make headlines where there isn't one.
A club doesn't tell the press how their search for a new manager is going so press jump to the conclusion that Arsenal don't have a plan at all. Good one

Post #486890  Posted: Mon May 14, 2018 1:28 pm 

Gunfire wrote:

Quote:
Arsenal would be utterly foolish if they appoint Allegri. It's too much of a change in direction. They're a few tactical tweaks and squad additions/subtractions away from challenging. They're not this bad.

What they need is a new voice to begin with, not to completely abandon their values for a full overhaul. That wouldn't brake their fall at all, it would probably make it worse.

From youth to senior, at every level, Arsenal's entire structure is built on technical ability and possession football. All players brought in at the club is of that type, yes, all the way down to the youngest their squads. It's the philosophy with which they identify.

They need a coach with similar vision, who can build on that foundation and strengthen it, instead of just chucking it away. Over two decades of recruitment and development in that path, departing from it would be a big and unnecessary risk.

A coach like Allegri would rather fit Chelsea, not Arsenal. That so many Arsenal (or pundits) fans don't recognise how big of change a coach like Allegri would equal and how big of a risk it poses, is incomprehensible to me. Big changes require lots of time, especially changes to a project nearly a quarter of a century old.

Sarri, Fonseca, or Jardim would make much more sense for Arsenal. Arsenal should also not appoint the likes of Vieira, Henry, Arteta etc. Like, seriously? How are they even mentioned as potential candidates? They're not ready.

I want to see Arsenal back in the top four at the expense of Liverpool. Liverpool must be reminded that they're where they are because the likes of Chelsea and Arsenal (and us, until now) have been underperforming in recent seasons, Liverpool's true place in the hierarchy nowadays is mediocrity, they should go back to that.

Get this right, Arsenal.

Yep, the mediocrity of a Champions league final...

Post #486891  Posted: Mon May 14, 2018 3:40 pm 

Gunfire wrote:

Quote:

Get this right, Arsenal.

With respect, that reads like a load of Nevillesque tosh. "A few tactical tweaks and squad additions/subtractions away from challenging"?? They just had their worst away run in over half a century FFS, finished 37 points behind the champions and 12 points outside the CL places. Not to mention, 14 behind Tottenham. And by what yardsticks are the three guys he approves of the polar opposites of Allegri? Juventus lack technical ability, do they? Khedira, Douglas Costa, Dybala, Mandzukic, Higuain... right load of donkeys. And mediocre Liverpool sneaked into the CL final because those powerhouses of Europe, Arsenal are having a bit of a blip... spare me. Allegri (or Simeone) might be exactly what Arsenal need now, to wean them off the tiresome tippy tappy sh*te that is Wenger's hangover.

Post #486892  Posted: Mon May 14, 2018 4:55 pm 

thofman wrote:
Gunfire wrote:

With respect, that reads like a load of Nevillesque tosh. "A few tactical tweaks and squad additions/subtractions away from challenging"?? They just had their worst away run in over half a century FFS, finished 37 points behind the champions and 12 points outside the CL places. Not to mention, 14 behind Tottenham. And by what yardsticks are the three guys he approves of the polar opposites of Allegri? Juventus lack technical ability, do they? Khedira, Douglas Costa, Dybala, Mandzukic, Higuain... right load of donkeys. And mediocre Liverpool sneaked into the CL final because those powerhouses of Europe, Arsenal are having a bit of a blip... spare me. Allegri (or Simeone) might be exactly what Arsenal need now, to wean them off the tiresome tippy tappy sh*te that is Wenger's hangover.

Agree. Also we have never won a title in my lifetime playing total tikka taka possession football, George's teams were incredibly direct and arsenes title winning sides were potent counter attacking teams with solid defences.

The posssion thing is a myth caused by us having little direct offensive threat going forward due to no cohesive game plan and therefore over passing.

Post #486893  Posted: Mon May 14, 2018 5:04 pm 

thofman wrote:
Gunfire wrote:

Completely agree thofman. I think a change of direction and philosophy is something that's desperately needed at the post-Wenger Arsenal. I reckon Allegri is far more likely to bring that than Arteta.

Post #486894  Posted: Mon May 14, 2018 8:20 pm 

Gunfire wrote:

They need a coach with similar vision,

Oh no we don't ............. " Technical abilty " we can't pass for sh**t " ...... "possessional football " ...... like have the defenders exchanging three thousand passes , finishing in triumphant manner with a pass back to the keeper .

That is Wengerism of the last few years .... for the sanity of the fans we need the polar opposite

Post #486895  Posted: Mon May 14, 2018 9:51 pm 

Just been over on Arsenal Mania forum .

My God ... what a sloppy site that is ; wailing and weeping not a dry eye in the place . Not a realist in sight , no mention of the bloody boring football .

Here's a classic

"I would have kept Wenger you know. Not because I think he is the right man for the job or that I believe he can win the league. I just love the man to the bits and I would rather keep losing with him than losing with someone else."

Post #486896  Posted: Mon May 14, 2018 10:00 pm 

kiwipete wrote:

My God ... what a sloppy site that is ; wailing and weeping not a dry eye in the place . Not a realist in sight , no mention of the bloody boring football .

Here's a classic

"I would have kept Wenger you know. Not because I think he is the right man for the job or that I believe he can win the league. I just love the man to the bits and I would rather keep losing with him than losing with someone else."

Yeah that's probably where exiled has disappeared to.

On the other side The gooner forum is like the Complete opposite to Arsenal mania where people are advocating the kidnap/torture/death of Wenger on an hourly and half hourly basis. We probably sit in the middle in this forum. I guess we are the liberal democrats of the Arsenal forum world

Post #486897  Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 2:03 am 

Gunfire wrote:

Quote:

Get this right, Arsenal.

Nothing against you Gunfire but the Man U poster is talking complete guff. The only thing I'd probably agree on is that "they're not this bad" and that's because I think a tactically astute manager could get much better results with the same players. The whole 25 years building thing is rubbish too. Most of the youth team up and comers won't even make it and teaching them how to defend as a team (along with their supposed technical brilliance) is largely down to coaching. There are also the changes behind the scenes which clearly show that Arsenal felt that the old way of doing things wasn't working and hence needed an overhaul.

As for Liverpool, despite them being in the doldrums for quite some time, they're still one of the biggest clubs in the world and like Abu mentioned, how is being in a CL final, progressing nicely over the last 2 years, with some fantastic attacking talent considered mediocre?

Lastly, if the Man U supporter had actually bothered to read wikipedia on Allegri, one of his primary skills is being able to adapt but has also at times played a similar but far more effective version of what Arsenal have been trying to implement for a decade. I think he's exactly what Arsenal need. Sadly though I think he wanted CL football next season and we bolloxed that up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massimili ... management

Post #486898  Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 2:14 am 

kiwipete wrote:

Here's a classic

Wenger is single now so maybe the quoted plonker can go and serenade him followed by a nice candle lit dinner and a bottle of red.

Post #486899  Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 2:34 am 

http://metro.co.uk/2018/05/15/mikel-art ... m-7546111/

If it is true, this is interesting. Perhaps the Primma Donnas are those who disliked Arteta. Perhaps those who feel privileged by Wenger, are those unhappy with Arteta. I would be glad if he became manager, IF his character is indeed this strong.

Post #486900  Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 5:23 am 

thofman wrote:
Gunfire wrote:

Agree with you Thofman. Statements like that are simply the AKB's just laying the groundwork for undermining the new manager. They want people to believe that had we persisted with Wenger, he would have made a few tweaks and had us challenging next season. The evidence of the last 5 years in particular is totally ignored.

I think a few of the players will respond to a new manager. But IMO deep lying in their character are problems that will arise when they are under extreme pressure. Yep Mustafi/Chambers/Holding may not play a square ball across their own penalty box for 10 games but when Man U are pressing them and the game means something they will forget all of the recent training from the new manager and revert to form.

Look at the Huddersfield game we did not play well and in fact teams with good forwards may well have been 2-3 goals up. They chose to ignore these facts. Good technical players - you mean who can't beat another player, who cannot pass accurately when pressed by opposition and who lack the ability for a defence splitting pass, instead choosing to tap the ball 5 feet to another player to get their successful pass stats up. Changing that mind set is a giant task.

Post #486901  Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 6:22 am 

Add Ralf Rangnick to the list.................

https://www.90min.com/posts/6041514-ger ... ref=1.html

Post #486902  Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 6:39 am 

bubblechris wrote:
Add Ralf Rangnick to the list.................

https://www.90min.com/posts/6041514-ger ... ref=1.html

It'll be Worzel Gummidge and Zippy added to the list soon if Arsenal don't make an announcement. :laughing7:

Post #486903  Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 7:36 am 

Poch demanding more money for players and double his wages.

Would you take him?

Post #486904  Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 7:53 am 

bubblechris wrote:
Poch demanding more money for players and double his wages.

Would you take him?

It'd be like Sol Campbell all over again. Let's make it happen.

Post #486905  Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 7:55 am 

gooner7 wrote:
http://metro.co.uk/2018/05/15/mikel-arteta-not-universally-popular-arsenals-dressing-room-7546111/

If it is true, this is interesting. Perhaps the Primma Donnas are those who disliked Arteta. Perhaps those who feel privileged by Wenger, are those unhappy with Arteta. I would be glad if he became manager, IF his character is indeed this strong.

Well Ramsey already said a few weeks ago he thinks Arteta isn’t ready

Post #486906  Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 8:16 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Agree with you Thofman. Statements like that are simply the AKB's just laying the groundwork for undermining the new manager.

Why do you keep coming back to this complete fantasy about the 'AKB' not being prepared to back the new manager? It's not the Wenger defenders who are already talking about bringing the banners out if the new manager doesn't deliver quickly enough. The ones who'll turn on the new manager first are most likely the ones who turned on Wenger more than a decade ago and started moaning about everything he did.

It's a fan mindset more than anything, where some just naturally see the negatives rather than the positives.

Post #486907  Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 9:14 am 

Hazuki wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
Agree with you Thofman. Statements like that are simply the AKB's just laying the groundwork for undermining the new manager.

Why do you keep coming back to this complete fantasy about the 'AKB' not being prepared to back the new manager? It's not the Wenger defenders who are already talking about bringing the banners out if the new manager doesn't deliver quickly enough. The ones who'll turn on the new manager first are most likely the ones who turned on Wenger more than a decade ago and started moaning about everything he did.

It's a fan mindset more than anything, where some just naturally see the negatives rather than the positives.

And should the new manager fail we all know it will be Wenger's fault.

Post #486908  Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 9:19 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

Here's a classic

Yeah that's probably where exiled has disappeared to.

On the other side The gooner forum is like the Complete opposite to Arsenal mania where people are advocating the kidnap/torture/death of Wenger on an hourly and half hourly basis. We probably sit in the middle in this forum. I guess we are the liberal democrats of the Arsenal forum world

Not that he needs me to speak for him, but I thought he wasn't against a change of manager, he objected more to the rabid nonsense some were posting about the manager.

Post #486909  Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 9:29 am 

Apparently the new manager is indeed Arteta and he will be announced on Thursday or Friday.

Everyone in the know is now saying this.

Post #486910  Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 9:53 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Apparently the new manager is indeed Arteta and he will be announced on Thursday or Friday.

Now being strongly rumoured that Xabi Alonso will be his number 2

Post #486911  Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 10:04 am 

goonerguru wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

They have been mates since they were like 6 years old apparently. Can't see Bould willing to work with a younger manager if Wenger has had his hand up his a****** for the last 5 years

Post #486912  Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 10:44 am 

goonerguru wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I hope he brings his boots with him.

Post #486913  Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 10:45 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
goonerguru wrote:

They have been mates since they were like 6 years old apparently. Can't see Bould willing to work with a younger manager if Wenger has had his hand up his a****** for the last 5 years

If it's true it feels like a couple of kids are being given the keys to the sweet shop.

Post #486914  Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 11:08 am 

socrates wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

If it's true it feels like a couple of kids are being given the keys to the sweet shop.

As part of the deal to bring Arteta over we have to pay city compensation but get Kevin de Bruyne and Raheem sterling in exchange.

Post #486915  Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 12:00 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
As part of the deal to bring Arteta over we have to pay city compensation but get Kevin de Bruyne and Raheem sterling in exchange.

Will they trade for AW ?

Post #486916  Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 12:27 pm 

Xabi Alonso is basically the player Xhaka should model his game after. If these rumours are true, it will be interesting to see how Xhaka develops.

Post #486917  Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 12:36 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:

These people in the know. Why haven't they known with certainty about countless other rumours before?

Post #486918  Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 12:39 pm 

Speaking of other forumites that seem to have vanished I wonder what happened to Harlow Steve / Northbank. One of Wengers staunchest supporters for a while there until even he realised that Wenger was talking bollox.

Post #486919  Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 12:41 pm 

Parkerknoll Gooner wrote:
Hazuki wrote:

And should the new manager fail we all know it will be Wenger's fault.

:laughing7:

Post #486920  Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 12:45 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
Xabi Alonso is basically the player Xhaka should model his game after. If these rumours are true, it will be interesting to see how Xhaka develops.

Xhaka is nowhere near as talented as Alonso though. I'd prefer to watch Xhaka develop at a different club.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12170, 12171, 12172, 12173, 12174, 12175, 12176 ... 14269  Next