Fixtures Tuesday April 23rd - Chelsea - Emirates Stadium - 8:00 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:47 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], warrior and 146 guests

Post #485001  Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:34 am 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

He was ok nothing more. People are over egging his performances cause he hasn't made a cock up recently as we have been playing crap teams

Sorry he was better than "ok nothing more." He was at least good and arguably worth more than a simple good. I realise paper scores out of ten are at best unreliable but the one I noticed gave him an 8. In my view it was either 7 or 8. That's better than ok.

He was ok but a decent shot aside didn't blow me away.

Bernard just watch him and our whole midfield disappear like Lucan the moment we play someone good. That's all I'll say

Post #485002  Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:59 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Sorry he was better than "ok nothing more." He was at least good and arguably worth more than a simple good. I realise paper scores out of ten are at best unreliable but the one I noticed gave him an 8. In my view it was either 7 or 8. That's better than ok.

He was ok but a decent shot aside didn't blow me away.

Bernard just watch him and our whole midfield disappear like Lucan the moment we play someone good. That's all I'll say

For me being blown away by a performance would be worth a 9 or 10. To get a 7 doesn't mean he has to blow me away. He has to be good which is better than ok. Against Southampton he was at least a 7, but I wouldn't argue with someone who wanted to give 8.

You may feel determined to undermine his performances to support your view of him. But in my view he's played well lately.

Post #485003  Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:50 am 

We obviously need to strengthen our defence this summer but we really need a Cazorla replacement. When you watch old games when he played in that deep position compared to games he’s now when he isn’t there the difference in just getting the ball from back to front is staggering.
Cazorla was the plan, possibly the only plan against the high press. We have players at the base of midfield who are decent technically but nowhere near Cazorla two footedness and speed of thought, dribble and movement.
Being genuinely two footed speeds up the passing so much.

Ultimately this is another of Wenger’s inactive moves where he puts all his faith in a seriously injured player coming back quickly and as good as before rather than signing a replacement/competition.

Post #485004  Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:43 pm 

Decaf wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
Did Wenger mention in his press conference that it was Orthodox Easter so that would explain the crowd being down. Next home game it will be one of the supporters birthday and that will explain why the crowds are down. Simple really.

Statistically, seasonal variations notwithstanding, only about 219 people will be having birthdays who would otherwise be attending on any given day. Even assuming that all have parties (and many of the supporters are over 12 years old so that might not wash), we would need an average of 100 other fans to be attending each of their parties (certainly more entertaining than watching Arsenal play--but still a stretch) to explain the dip in attendance.

Of course, people sometimes don't have parties on the actual date but wait to the weekend. We might get a clumping of parties on weekends which might have important policy implications (for example, it might make sense to schedule matches at 3am on Tuesday mornings when there is unlikely to be party activity). But I will leave investigation of that possibility to other researchers.

Bernardian logic with Dazian eloquence.

Post #485005  Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:45 pm 

Nelson on the verge of signing a new contract

Post #485006  Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:48 pm 

Here we go with the late season, nothing matters, return to form. The predictability of this effort under a Wenger managed team is only matched by the delusion of idots who think this is a good turn of events.

Post #485007  Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:02 pm 

Rich, I know you like to cling to the hope that new players would make a big difference, but I don't think they would. We could get the perfect Cazorla replacement and strengthen the defence and in my view with the same manager we still wouldn't challenge for the title. Remember, when we had a younger and fully fit Cazorla we didn't. Furthermore, I don't recall us getting the ball forward faster before his injury.

I just don't believe it's a player issue. If Wenger had City's exact squad this season, I genuinely don't think he'd win the league with them.

Post #485008  Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:44 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Think Southampton were worth a point yesterday. I've never liked them but never disliked them either. If they do stay up it won't bother me, although if they don't I won't lose any sleep about it. But overall, given the choice I'd rather them stay up than go down as I've nothing against Mark Hughes either, as a manager anyway.

Regardless of a bad miss it's nice to see Welbeck score a couple, as a lack of goals has always been the main negative with his game. Other than that I think he has a fairly strong all round game.

His headed goal was a good one. It was one where he needed to put in more effort than a simple tap in. When I saw him miss that sitter, I was ready to "yell" at him. Fortunately I held off, and he scored a good goal later. Hope his confidence improves from hereon. Sadly, I fear he will lose it again, especially against a stronger opposition.

Post #485009  Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:48 pm 

DHD wrote:
Recorded attendance was 59,374 but I reckon there were no more than 45,000 in the ground yesterday. Maybe less. That's maybe 15,000 season ticket holders who chose not to attend. Big gaps all around me with loads of regulars missing.

I only went because for the second home game running (Stoke was similar), I couldn't get rid of my tickets - literally couldn't give them away! There hasn't been a 'sell-out' for weeks so the Ticket Exchange isn't an option.

More worrying for the money men, Club Level was only about 50% full while at the same time, the pitch-side advertising boards were urging the Corporates to 'SECURE YOUR CLUB LEVEL SEATS NOW!! Best of luck with that campaign. Even worse, almost half the boxes were empty and those that were being used were only sparsely populated.

The support is voting with their feet.

Now, who is accountable for all this mess :icon_mrgreen:

Post #485010  Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:56 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Rich, I know you like to cling to the hope that new players would make a big difference, but I don't think they would. We could get the perfect Cazorla replacement and strengthen the defence and in my view with the same manager we still wouldn't challenge for the title. Remember, when we had a younger and fully fit Cazorla we didn't. Furthermore, I don't recall us getting the ball forward faster before his injury.

I just don't believe it's a player issue. If Wenger had City's exact squad this season, I genuinely don't think he'd win the league with them.

While that may or may not be true, it's preferable that we get better players to improve the team.

Post #485011  Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:22 pm 

From Facebook just now............................

""Mohamed Elneny will be available for Arsenal’s next three games after an Independent Regulatory Commission accepted that he was wrongly dismissed for violent conduct against Southampton on Sunday, April 8, 2018."
Read more at https://www.arsenal.com/news/fa-stateme ... CpT3yPB.99
Read more at https://www.arsenal.com/news/fa-stateme ... dmSqQjR.99

Post #485012  Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:13 pm 

Goonie wrote:
Bernard wrote:

While that may or may not be true, it's preferable that we get better players to improve the team.

I agree with both. I don't think new players will make a 'big' difference, Wenger is by far the biggest problem, but if we are stuck with the guy or not there is still a desire for better players.

If we have a collection of central midfielders that have poor mobility, acceleration and general zip about their play those are attributes that are hard to coach. I look at the excitement and devastation teams like Liverpool, Spurs and City have in their play and their victories and can't see that many players we have that have that same skill set.

To turn around Bernard's statement, what would Klopp, Poch or Pep do with this squad? Firstly I have no doubt they would improve them anyway but, I also think that as 3 modern managers they will look to ship out players without pace and power or exceptional technical control/dribbling ability. This is the style of football I want to see back at Arsenal, and one we used to have and has proven to continuously be successful in the premier league. Irrespective of the coach I think we have a number of players who simply aren't title winning quality (first team or squad)

Post #485013  Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:19 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Furthermore, I don't recall us getting the ball forward faster before his injury.

Maybe, but we certainly weren't as clueless and panic stricken when faced with the high press.

Years ago you didn't attack or press Arsenal because we could pass it round teams and attack the space, the tactic was always to sit very, very deep and look for set-pieces. Now we are seeing teams genuinely attack us and press us all over the pitch.

Some teams are good at a high press and make it very difficult to pass it out beyond them even if your players are excellent technicians (Liverpool v City is a good example), but we are struggling with high presses from bottom half teams and 2nd rate Norwegian teams.

Post #485014  Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:57 pm 

Quite remarkable. A studio full of 'experts' whose purpose it is to enhance our understanding of what we are watching. I couldn't believe how long it took for it to dawn on them that Sane's goal should have stood. Do they not understand the offside law?

And then it's compounded by a posse of match officials who are equally clueless.

Post #485015  Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:09 pm 

Liverpool have been insanely lucky in this tie. The referees of both legs have had a massive influence on this tie.
First goal at Anfield is offside, tough to call but VAR rules it out
City should have a clear penalty at Anfield - VAR would give it
City have a good goal ruled out at the Etihad, once again VAR would give it.

I don’t like how VAR is being implemented as it takes too long and the crowd are unaware of what’s going on but the correct decisions are being made in game changing situations

Post #485016  Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:13 pm 

The Sane effort shouldn't even have needed VAR. It was so clear that Milner had played it. There's a ref, a lino (assistant ref), and another official behind the line. What the heck are they all doing?

Post #485017  Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:37 pm 

Super performance by Roma. That's how to overturn a three goal deficit. Brilliant and well deserved.

Post #485018  Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:53 pm 

Brilliant by Roma, love seeing Barca knocked out. Manila’s with the winner has put a few million on his price tag for the summer, we were heavily linked in January.

You just know that Liverpool are going to draw Roma in the semis. I don’t think I can take Liverpool winning the champions league again. I do admire the team Klopp has built and the way they play but can’t stand the arrogance of their fans.....also I’ve long thought of Liverpool as a lucky club - in my time being a football fan - it probably stems back to the daylight robbery of the FA cup final in 01. But also a lot of their recent cup final wins have been lucky or on pens or having been outplayed.

I always think of Fergie in the champions league as lucky. He won two and so holds his head high. But in one he was totally outplayed for 89 mins and in the other he was a Terry slip away from not winning ie Chelsea literally lost it rather than him winning it. Imagine Fergie legacy without those two champions league titles

Then we have sad old Arsene who appears to be far more unlucky in cup finals. Galatasaray, Liverpool 01, Barcelona and Lehman and offside goal, then the brain fart v Birmingham.....nothing can excuse this years pathetic excuse for a cup final performance

Post #485019  Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:57 pm 

Goonie wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Why?so he can screw a few more careers up

Post #485020  Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:21 pm 

Monchi seems like he’s working his magic at Roma as he did at Sevilla.

Post #485021  Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:16 pm 

Rich wrote:
Brilliant by Roma, love seeing Barca knocked out. Manila’s with the winner has put a few million on his price tag for the summer, we were heavily linked in January.

You just know that Liverpool are going to draw Roma in the semis. I don’t think I can take Liverpool winning the champions league again. I do admire the team Klopp has built and the way they play but can’t stand the arrogance of their fans.....also I’ve long thought of Liverpool as a lucky club - in my time being a football fan - it probably stems back to the daylight robbery of the FA cup final in 01. But also a lot of their recent cup final wins have been lucky or on pens or having been outplayed.

I always think of Fergie in the champions league as lucky. He won two and so holds his head high. But in one he was totally outplayed for 89 mins and in the other he was a Terry slip away from not winning ie Chelsea literally lost it rather than him winning it. Imagine Fergie legacy without those two champions league titles

Then we have sad old Arsene who appears to be far more unlucky in cup finals. Galatasaray, Liverpool 01, Barcelona and Lehman and offside goal, then the brain fart v Birmingham.....nothing can excuse this years pathetic excuse for a cup final performance

BUT City are out. Praise be to Liverppol for that!

Post #485022  Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:21 pm 

Goonie wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Another year of Wenger and a lot of fans wont even be following Arsenal no matter who arrives .

I can't watch Arsenal anymore ..... we have the ball in the opposition penalty area , under the mildest pressure Zing Zing and the ball is back in the safe arms of our goalkeeper .

Frustration levels go off the scale ...."Why did we do that ... ? "...any outfield player SHOULD have more chance of finding a team mate than a hopeful punt from Čech or Ospina .

Watching the clueless pr***cks exchanging twenty passes at the back .... :blob8: :blob8:

I switch over looking for something more exciting ... maybe the Kent County Women's Croquet final .

Post #485023  Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:36 pm 

Laughing at Barca. Its not the first time a club thought they were already through from a big scoreline, totally switched off and lose the tie. 2004 had a few Real Madrid up 4-2 first leg against Monaco and lose 3-1 second leg. Biggest "crime" was Milan up 4-1 after the first leg to lose 4-0 at Deportivo 2nd leg.

Post #485024  Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:38 pm 

Also loved seeing Pep be taken down a peg. Klopp may have come into his own this season. Losing Coutinho and still having them play very well. Could be Liverpool, not Man Utd who will be challenging City in the next year or two. Maybe.

Post #485025  Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:35 am 

Well done Ox, you are in the Champions League semi-finals. A better manager for you as well, good move. Happy for Ox :53big-emoticons:

Post #485026  Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:37 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Goonie wrote:

Another year of Wenger and a lot of fans wont even be following Arsenal no matter who arrives .

I can't watch Arsenal anymore ..... we have the ball in the opposition penalty area , under the mildest pressure Zing Zing and the ball is back in the safe arms of our goalkeeper .

Frustration levels go off the scale ...."Why did we do that ... ? "...any outfield player SHOULD have more chance of finding a team mate than a hopeful punt from Čech or Ospina .

Watching the clueless pr***cks exchanging twenty passes at the back .... :blob8: :blob8:

I switch over looking for something more exciting ... maybe the Kent County Women's Croquet final .

agree ............ I got so bored, I decided to walk my dog.

Post #485027  Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:01 am 

gooner7 wrote:
Well done Ox, you are in the Champions League semi-finals. A better manager for you as well, good move. Happy for Ox :53big-emoticons:

I think if we hadn't sold him and Walcott they both would have been playing a LOT of games recently. In particular with Mkihtrayan injured Theo would have been handy to have but they were sold to fund the Aubameyang move to placate our fans about how *%^@ Wenger is.

Post #485028  Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:56 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

I think if we hadn't sold him and Walcott they both would have been playing a LOT of games recently. In particular with Mkihtrayan injured Theo would have been handy to have but they were sold to fund the Aubameyang move to placate our fans about how *%^@ Wenger is.
Yes I really wish we had Walcott now rather than Aubemayang...

Post #485029  Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:57 am 

gooner7 wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

agree ............ I got so bored, I decided to walk my dog.
I'm bored constantly hearing how bored you all are. ZZZZ

Post #485030  Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:33 pm 

Good tweet I read

"Liverpool have the best front 3 in the league and they bought the players from Southampton, Hoffenheim and Roma. Good business is possible." £100m combined for all 3.

Post #485031  Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:56 pm 

Delighted for Roma. Love Rome. Great spot and people are nice. Assuming Madrid and Bayern go through I want Roma to win.

Post #485032  Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:24 pm 

[youtube]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pY8Gj7Wl0Gk[/youtube]

Hope you enjoy this one Hoy.

Post #485033  Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:31 pm 

Hi Old Man

A tiny plea - when you hit the 'Z' button, do us all a favour and restrict yourself to 10 or so whacks. That's enough. We get the point.

I guess you could be prone to doziness at your great age but sticking your elbow on that key just nauses up the formatting for everyone and cocks up the view in most formats. I know you see your role as being the grit in the oyster, but no pearls will evolve from gratuitous vandalism of an august forum; regardless of your lickspittle stance, it's unnecessary.

On another issue, you gave up your Arse season ticket maybe 10 years go? May I ask when you last watched us live?

Post #485034  Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:24 pm 

C'mon Juve!

Post #485035  Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:07 pm 

Gunfire wrote:
C'mon Juve!

3-0 now, all square in the tie.

3-0 in the Bernabéu, I cannot imagine what the home fans are doing....

Post #485036  Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:29 pm 

It's worrying just how fragile three goal leads are looking in Europe this week. Hopefully not a sign for tomorrow.

Post #485037  Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:40 pm 

Interesting end. Here comes Szczesny

Post #485038  Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:42 pm 

Well that was a brief substitute appearance then. Ronaldo is a real showman and pure quality.

Post #485039  Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:18 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Interesting end. Here comes Szczesny

Michael Oliver ensuring honorary life membership at the Bernabeau and burnt in effigy in Juventus .

Post #485040  Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:33 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
I'm bored constantly hearing how bored you all are. ZZZZ

:laughing7: Moaning about the way we play at least shows a little more passion for the Club than someone waffling on about Arsene deserving a knighthood for winning six games in a row .

Get back to the Easy Sudoku you old tugger .

[ 571789 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12123, 12124, 12125, 12126, 12127, 12128, 12129 ... 14295  Next