Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:23 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Googlebot, warrior and 121 guests

Post #527481  Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:09 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Zed wrote:
Attachment:
ef9581858269e0e5e7d1b6f1438e9ef2.jpeg.jpg
Take a close look at this.

Sorry what am I looking for ?

TG,
One black player. Not sure if he was the only one.

Post #527482  Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:09 pm 

Niall wrote:
Who was the first black player to play for Arsenal? I don't know the answer and am not going to google it - but going to guess Viv Anderson.

Shame on you :icon_mrgreen1: .....the answer is someone who went on be deputy CEO of the PFA

Post #527483  Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:11 pm 

Zed wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Sorry what am I looking for ?

TG,
One black player. Not sure if he was the only one.

Sorry I meant in the standing Prague players.

Post #527484  Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:49 pm 

Zed wrote:
Attachment:
ef9581858269e0e5e7d1b6f1438e9ef2.jpeg.jpg
Take a close look at this.

The taking a knee is primarily restricted to the English speaking world where ironically enough racism is not as big a problem as it is in other parts of the world.

Post #527485  Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:01 pm 

Austin is a unique city. It's not the just state capital of Texas. It's progressive. There is Texas and there is Austin. It's the San Francisco of Texas so to speak. I'm happy for them and I'm cheering for the team and sport to succeed there. I have friends there as well.

....and similar well wishes for Becks in Miami. I owe football a lot. Because its a global sport, I've been able to have a ready topic for small talk to just about any man world wide and most women. It's probably the biggest unifier of random people I ever seen.

https://www.statesman.com/story/sports/2021/04/14/austin-fc-matthew-mcconaughey-talks-mls-season-celebrating-austin/7212321002/

https://edition.cnn.com/videos/sports/2021/04/16/matthew-mcconaughey-austin-fc-mls-texas-longhorns-football-spt-intl.cnn

Post #527486  Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:45 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Austin is a unique city. It's not the just state capital of Texas. It's progressive. There is Texas and there is Austin. It's the San Francisco of Texas so to speak. I'm happy for them and I'm cheering for the team and sport to succeed there. I have friends there as well.

....and similar well wishes for Becks in Miami. I owe football a lot. Because its a global sport, I've been able to have a ready topic for small talk to just about any man world wide and most women. It's probably the biggest unifier of random people I ever seen.

https://www.statesman.com/story/sports/2021/04/14/austin-fc-matthew-mcconaughey-talks-mls-season-celebrating-austin/7212321002/

https://edition.cnn.com/videos/sports/2021/04/16/matthew-mcconaughey-austin-fc-mls-texas-longhorns-football-spt-intl.cnn

Austin. Home to the man who won seven Tour de France in a row. Or was it zero?

Post #527487  Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:50 pm 

Well who would have expected that? He’s gone up even further in my estimation.

https://www.kosovari.net/steven-gerrard ... 18SF6qbZRI

Post #527488  Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:15 pm 

HoddGooner wrote:
Niall wrote:
Who was the first black player to play for Arsenal? I don't know the answer and am not going to google it - but going to guess Viv Anderson.

Shame on you :icon_mrgreen1: .....the answer is someone who went on be deputy CEO of the PFA

That doesn't help me, unfortunately. Viv and Paul Davis played when I was young. And I've just remembered the name Raphael Meade from somewhere. That was a great recall if I say so myself :icon_mrgreen:

Post #527489  Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:55 pm 

Niall wrote:
HoddGooner wrote:

That doesn't help me, unfortunately. Viv and Paul Davis played when I was young. And I've just remembered the name Raphael Meade from somewhere. That was a great recall if I say so myself :icon_mrgreen:

Brendan Batson

Post #527490  Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:00 pm 

david.d wrote:
If we get past Villarreal I dont think my nerves /health could handle a final against Utd.
Losing to Chelsea in Baku was bad enough but losing to those tossers would be excruciating.
I'm praying Roma can knock them out but are they strong enough to? I have my doubts.
Can only hope and pray.
Utd are a very good team but so are we on our day.
But first Villarreal......

Could've been worse David. It could have been Tottenham in a two leg semi final. Now that would have had your blood pressure rising. And mine.

I'd look no farther than Villarreal for now. Far from the foregone conclusion that some in the media seem to think. Roma won't lie down for Man U either.

Post #527491  Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:08 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

Austin. Home to the man who won seven Tour de France in a row. Or was it zero?

Depends on who's doing the counting.

Post #527492  Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:14 pm 

Post #527493  Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:28 pm 

Niall, Brendan Batson. Better known for his time at WBA, but started off at Arsenal.

Post #527494  Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:31 pm 

tomc wrote:
Niall wrote:

Brendan Batson

Just seen tomc beat me to it. Wasn’t on the forum all afternoon and while out my battery expired.

Post #527495  Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:41 pm 

Bernard wrote:
tomc wrote:
Brendan Batson

Just seen tomc beat me to it. Wasn’t on the forum all afternoon and while out my battery expired.

Must be my weird humour. That brought to mind an image of you being a Duracell bunny.

Post #527496  Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:19 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Well who would have expected that? He’s gone up even further in my estimation.

https://www.kosovari.net/steven-gerrard ... 18SF6qbZRI

Rangers have invited Arsenal to play a friendly at Ibrox to celebrate their 150th anniversary.

Post #527497  Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:22 pm 

tomc wrote:
david.d wrote:
If we get past Villarreal I dont think my nerves /health could handle a final against Utd.
Losing to Chelsea in Baku was bad enough but losing to those tossers would be excruciating.
I'm praying Roma can knock them out but are they strong enough to? I have my doubts.
Can only hope and pray.
Utd are a very good team but so are we on our day.
But first Villarreal......

Could've been worse David. It could have been Tottenham in a two leg semi final. Now that would have had your blood pressure rising. And mine.

I'd look no farther than Villarreal for now. Far from the foregone conclusion that some in the media seem to think. Roma won't lie down for Man U either.

Perish the thought Tom.
Still cant believe Zagreb did that to Spurs.
You are right. Neither semi is a foregone conclusion.

Post #527498  Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:47 pm 

Good result for us if spurs everton stays at 2 2.
Beat Fulham and we are 2 behind Spurs and 1 behind Everton.
Would have a real chance of nicking 7th.
Think it goes down to 7th if city win the caraboa and city or Chelsea win the fa cup
Need a back up plan if Europa goes tits up.......

Post #527499  Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:07 pm 

Never heard of Batson I would never have got that. Cheers lads

Post #527500  Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:18 pm 

david.d wrote:
Think it goes down to 7th if city win the caraboa and city or Chelsea win the fa cup

It is a bit different next year.
7th gets a European place of both domestic cups are won by teams in 1st-6th place. But it is a place in the new Europa conference league competition, a 3rd European competition. The Europa league will be reduced from 48 teams to 32 teams.
So I think 7th gets europe but it’s the conference league. If we did end up in this competition I have the feeling we’d be by far the strongest team in it and it would probably be one the kids play a lot in

Post #527501  Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:49 pm 

I’ve seen it said (I’m sure by me as well at some point) that ‘how lucky we are to have smith-Rowe and saka, and this isn’t having a go at anyone who has said it but in reality producing two youth players through our academy since they were both maybe 8 or so years old, and getting them to a level good enough to not only play in but be shining stars for our first team is an incredible feat by the club. I’d say it is far, far harder for the club to produce the likes of smith Rowe and Saka than it is to go and identify and sign a player of similar quality.
The current group having just come through the academy is pretty exceptional, even if some of them are not quite good enough for our first team I’d back all of them to have careers in the premier league.

Post #527502  Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:13 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Rangers have invited Arsenal to play a friendly at Ibrox to celebrate their 150th anniversary.

Further details here.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailyr ... 926377.amp

Post #527503  Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:50 pm 

Just rewatching some of the Sparta game. I don’t often praise referees but he was pretty good and was very calm when it got a bit tense between players.

Post #527504  Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:29 am 

Rich wrote:
I’ve seen it said (I’m sure by me as well at some point) that ‘how lucky we are to have smith-Rowe and saka, and this isn’t having a go at anyone who has said it but in reality producing two youth players through our academy since they were both maybe 8 or so years old, and getting them to a level good enough to not only play in but be shining stars for our first team is an incredible feat by the club. I’d say it is far, far harder for the club to produce the likes of smith Rowe and Saka than it is to go and identify and sign a player of similar quality.
The current group having just come through the academy is pretty exceptional, even if some of them are not quite good enough for our first team I’d back all of them to have careers in the premier league.

Should AW be getting credit for this? He was in charge of Arsenal when these kids were starting out. He would have seen through their progress as well. I'm wondering.

Post #527505  Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:25 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Just rewatching some of the Sparta game. I don’t often praise referees but he was pretty good and was very calm when it got a bit tense between players.

I noticed that too Gaz. I thought he was excellent.

Post #527506  Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:38 am 

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/arsenal-news-nicolas-pepe-no-excused-for-arteta-b930084.html
Mikel Arteta: No excuses for Nicolas Pépé to stop fine form for Arsenal as adaptation

Post #527507  Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:08 am 

gooner7 wrote:
Rich wrote:

Should AW be getting credit for this? He was in charge of Arsenal when these kids were starting out. He would have seen through their progress as well. I'm wondering.

In theory yes AW should receive some of the credit. I think if he was still the manager the likes of Saka and Smith-Rowe would definitely have been given the same first team opportunities.
I’m not sure how much direct influence the first team manager would have on the careers of youth team players from ages 8-15 for example, Hodd would be able to give a better view on that.

I’d imagine you give the AW credit for the overall philosophy of the club and the importance he placed on youth development, but actually turning an 8 year old kid in to a premier league ready professional footballer must surely mostly be down to the youth coaches, at least for the first 80% or so of their development.

Post #527508  Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:36 am 

david.d wrote:

It's not quite in our hands, but 7th place is up for grabs. We have no excuses for not being completely focussed on the Fulham game. If we win that, Everton will be feeling a bit of pressure and we will have the momentum.

Post #527509  Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:40 am 

Rich wrote:

Bakayo came in at 7, Emile Smith Rowe at 10
A lot of good work is now starting to bear fruit for the club

Post #527510  Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:43 am 

gooner7 wrote:
Rich wrote:

In 22 years AW only came to Hale End once, and that was to officially open the David Rocastle dome
He was great at promoting players from the 18’s and 23’s, but had pretty much zero input before that
Liam Brady would have been academy director when most of the current crop were signed

Post #527511  Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:47 am 

Rich wrote:

It is remarkable and laudable indeed.

Post #527512  Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:48 am 

Rich wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

In theory yes AW should receive some of the credit. I think if he was still the manager the likes of Saka and Smith-Rowe would definitely have been given the same first team opportunities.
I’m not sure how much direct influence the first team manager would have on the careers of youth team players from ages 8-15 for example, Hodd would be able to give a better view on that.

I’d imagine you give the AW credit for the overall philosophy of the club and the importance he placed on youth development, but actually turning an 8 year old kid in to a premier league ready professional footballer must surely mostly be down to the youth coaches, at least for the first 80% or so of their development.

One thing that was a massive bonus for the scouts and coaches during AW era, was that we knew exactly what the player profile he expected
That meant that unlike many of our competitors, we were more likely to sign a technical and intelligent player regardless of size, rather than a “physical specimen”
No accident that all these players can play in a number of positions

Post #527513  Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:49 am 

HoddGooner wrote:
gooner7 wrote:
In 22 years AW only came to Hale End once, and that was to officially open the David Rocastle dome
He was great at promoting players from the 18’s and 23’s, but had pretty much zero input before that
Liam Brady would have been academy director when most of the current crop were signed

Thanks Hodd. What’s your thoughts on the work Mertesacker is doing now with the academy? It’s easy to like Per, he seems like he commands respect, thinks and talks about the game well but I’d have no idea how that all comes out in his actual work.
I also saw the youth team beat West Ham in the youth cup last night, with Omari Hutchinson grabbing the headlines again, I read he’s 17 which really puts in to perspective what someone like Jude Bellingham is doing at the same age.
In your opinion how good is the next crop?

Post #527514  Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:20 am 

HoddGooner wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

Thanks, that clears it up.

Post #527515  Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:20 am 

I've just realised that it is 51 years to the day that I attended my first Arsenal match. Couldn't believe it when my uncle said that Saturday morning "do you want to go to The Arsenal then?". I'd been to a couple of QPR matches as they were my local team growing up but Arsenal could have been on Mars for all I knew, going to Highbury seemed like an unattainable dream.

Remember the day so well. Seeing the green pitch, the North Bank, the Clock End. But most of all seeing those red shirts with white sleeves. I'd only ever seen Arsenal on black and white TV before then. The COLOUR.

And we won, 1-0, great goal by Charlie. They say you always remember your first love. I certainly do :1laughter:

Post #527516  Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:33 am 

tomc wrote:
I've just realised that it is 51 years to the day that I attended my first Arsenal match. Couldn't believe it when my uncle said that Saturday morning "do you want to go to The Arsenal then?". I'd been to a couple of QPR matches as they were my local team growing up but Arsenal could have been on Mars for all I knew, going to Highbury seemed like an unattainable dream.

Remember the day so well. Seeing the green pitch, the North Bank, the Clock End. But most of all seeing those red shirts with white sleeves. I'd only ever seen Arsenal on black and white TV before then. The COLOUR.

And we won, 1-0, great goal by Charlie. They say you always remember your first love. I certainly do :1laughter:

Hi Tom. Sorry to be pedantic but I think it’s 50 years to the day, not 51. On 17th April 1971 (so half a century exactly) we beat Newcastle 1-0 with a great Charlie George goal. A crucial win for the league title bit of our first double.

On 17th April 1970 (so 51 years ago today), we didn’t have a game.

Post #527517  Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:26 pm 

Bernard wrote:
tomc wrote:

Hi Tom. Sorry to be pedantic but I think it’s 50 years to the day, not 51. On 17th April 1971 (so half a century exactly) we beat Newcastle 1-0 with a great Charlie George goal. A crucial win for the league title bit of our first double.

On 17th April 1970 (so 51 years ago today), we didn’t have a game.

Also nostalgia provoking: Fabianski with an awful flap just now.

West Ham are almost, but not quite, too far ahead of us to catch. Also, it must be a bit demoralising for Fulham to see Newcastle galloping away, which can't hurt us.

Post #527518  Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:48 pm 

Decaf wrote:

West Ham are almost, but not quite, too far ahead of us to catch. Also, it must be a bit demoralising for Fulham to see Newcastle galloping away, which can't hurt us.

Fabianski not too clever for the first goal either. Not having a good day.

Post #527519  Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:15 pm 

Willock just scored with a powerful header to make it 3-2 for Newcastle

Post #527520  Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:18 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
Decaf wrote:

Fabianski not too clever for the first goal either. Not having a good day.

West Ham pull it back to 2-2, then Willock comes on and scores immediately. Another feather in the cap for the Academy.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13185, 13186, 13187, 13188, 13189, 13190, 13191 ... 14269  Next