Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:44 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], warrior and 73 guests

Post #485041  Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:31 am 

DHD wrote:
Hi Old Man

A tiny plea - when you hit the 'Z' button, do us all a favour and restrict yourself to 10 or so whacks. That's enough. We get the point.

I guess you could be prone to doziness at your great age but sticking your elbow on that key just nauses up the formatting for everyone and cocks up the view in most formats. I know you see your role as being the grit in the oyster, but no pearls will evolve from gratuitous vandalism of an august forum; regardless of your lickspittle stance, it's unnecessary.

On another issue, you gave up your Arse season ticket maybe 10 years go? May I ask when you last watched us live?
Hi DHD. Yes, I could do that, but might the moaners accept that they have vastly exceeded their ten whacks at our club, and provide a little more variation in content and tone? Boring the pants off folk for months, even years in some cases, with the same anti mantra is seriously gratuitous vandalism of the forum. I am sure my occasional forty Zs are quite mild in comparison. Yes I gave up my season ticket long ago, in favour of non-league football. Of course, like the overwhelming majority of fans (including this forum) I still see a lot of The Arsenal live on TV.

Post #485042  Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:37 am 

kiwipete wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:
I'm bored constantly hearing how bored you all are. ZZZZ

:laughing7: Moaning about the way we play at least shows a little more passion for the Club than someone waffling on about Arsene deserving a knighthood for winning six games in a row .

Get back to the Easy Sudoku you old tugger .
More of a chess man to be honest. I'll always enjoy it when my club wins six in a row. Seven, even better.

Post #485043  Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:45 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Michael Oliver ensuring honorary life membership at the Bernabeau and burnt in effigy in Juventus .
Afraid Buffon ate too much passion cake there. Still, the Old Lady gave it a good go. Hopefully better luck next season.

Post #485044  Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:24 am 

Morning OMOH. I think DHD was making the point that your long rows of X's buggers up the format of the page for others. It certainly does for me. For example, since you did them the posts on this page are now all squeezed onto the left hand side of my screen, making them difficult to read. The problem presumably won't be resolved until 40 posts have been done on this page and we move onto a new page, at least until you do it again.

When people just moan about Wenger making being an Arsenal fan boring, it doesn't happen. That's why I think your coments about moaners vandalising the forum are massively over the top. Well, not just massively over the top, but completely wrong.

If you really insist on doing a huge number of X's, perhaps you could limit the number to, say 20 or 25, then click the new paragraph key and do another 20, 25 (or whatever number you choose) on a fresh line. You can do as many lines of a more limited number of X's as you like, but at least it wouldn't bugger up the format of the page for others. I haven't mentioned it before as I didn't know it caused problems for others, until I read DHD's post. I thought it was just me, so let it go without previous coment.

Post #485045  Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:56 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
DHD wrote:
Hi Old Man

A tiny plea - when you hit the 'Z' button, do us all a favour and restrict yourself to 10 or so whacks. That's enough. We get the point.

I guess you could be prone to doziness at your great age but sticking your elbow on that key just nauses up the formatting for everyone and cocks up the view in most formats. I know you see your role as being the grit in the oyster, but no pearls will evolve from gratuitous vandalism of an august forum; regardless of your lickspittle stance, it's unnecessary.

On another issue, you gave up your Arse season ticket maybe 10 years go? May I ask when you last watched us live?
Hi DHD. Yes, I could do that, but might the moaners accept that they have vastly exceeded their ten whacks at our club, and provide a little more variation in content and tone? Boring the pants off folk for months, even years in some cases, with the same anti mantra is seriously gratuitous vandalism of the forum. I am sure my occasional forty Zs are quite mild in comparison. Yes I gave up my season ticket long ago, in favour of non-league football. Of course, like the overwhelming majority of fans (including this forum) I still see a lot of The Arsenal live on TV.

You would have fitted in very well in German in the 1930's. Don't criticise, accept what is happening. Ten whacks - if people keep making a mess of it, then acquiescence by silence allows people like Kroenke to make no changes or not even consider change. If they mess up more than ten times, people need to call it how it is. Obviously many supporters are choosing a silent protest by not going to the games.

If people don't express their disgust then your old mate Wenger comes out with drivel like last year when he said a few hundred people were unhappy with the team.

It is too bad that when we were in run of loses you were so busy watching non league football that you couldn't come on and tell us why we were wrong. Of course it may be that your position and Wengers is untenable.

Post #485046  Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:05 am 

Silly me. I did of course mean Z's in my last post, not X's.

Post #485047  Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:09 am 

kiwipete wrote:
long time gooner wrote:
Interesting end. Here comes Szczesny

Michael Oliver ensuring honorary life membership at the Bernabeau and burnt in effigy in Juventus .

I think Oliver is the best ref in the prem, I also think he made exactly the right decision in giving the penalty and the red card to Buffon.

At 3-3 it would have been easy for the ref to bottle the penalty and let the game go to extra time so the teams could decide the winner rather than the ref have to make a decision which decided the match.

Post #485048  Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:37 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
You would have fitted in very well in German in the 1930's.

While I don't actually agree with Hoy, I am not sure that satisfaction with six fairly uninteresting wins for the team you support and colluding with perhaps the most infamous genocidal regime in history is an entirely appropriate comparison. Wenger is many things but Hitler he is not, partly because the latter never seemed to struggle with the fastening of whichever overcoat he happened to choose for the occasion. He did tend to opt for buttons over zips so perhaps there's a lesson there for Arsene.

But please don't hit so many Zs, Hoy, as it really does unformat the page. I'm not saying it's comparable to the final solution but it is a bit annoying.

Post #485049  Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:42 am 

How can Buffon accuse Oliver of lacking bottle? I thought that was fine refereeing. Right or not he saw a penalty and awarded it against the emotional instinct of every neutral and then correctly sent off Buffon which was a huge decision that required balls of steel.

Eating my words on the CL - it has proved great entertainment this week. Let's hope Moscow can emulate Roma and Juventus eh, Hoy? (First they came for Bruch Rioch but I said nothing because I never felt he was an Arsenal man...).

Post #485050  Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:47 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:

Es gibt auch einen Fehler mit Ihrem Apostroph in diesem Satz.

Post #485051  Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:53 am 

Daz wrote:
How can Buffon accuse Oliver of lacking bottle? I thought that was fine refereeing. Right or not he saw a penalty and awarded it against the emotional instinct of every neutral and then correctly sent off Buffon which was a huge decision that required balls of steel.

Eating my words on the CL - it has proved great entertainment this week. Let's hope Moscow can emulate Roma and Juventus eh, Hoy? (First they came for Bruch Rioch but I said nothing because I never felt he was an Arsenal man...).

Agree he did not lack bottle but it was a bad decision.

Post #485052  Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:11 am 

Now then. Tricky decision for young Michael Oliver last night. Let's look at the crucial issues and settle this one with science not prejudice. In order of importance then:

1) Oliver is from Northumberland which is not Lancashire but is still the North. Oliver 1 - Critics - 0

2) Madrid versus Turin. It's a tricky one because Turin is further north than Madrid. The distance between Turin and Wigan bus station is 1,411 km (that's how Europeans measure distance) while the distance from Madrid to the same destination is 1,737 km. Preston has a larger bus station than Wigan but a similar principle applies. Could this be a howler from the lad? Sorry bonnie lad, but on these grounds clearly the decision should have been howay the Italians. Oliver 1 - Critics 1.

3) Which city has more fancy dan ways. Now I think this might have been what swayed Michael. It has to be Turin - for preening ponciness you just cannot beat the eyeties. Oliver 2 - Critics 1.

4) Was it a penalty? Mebbe. Mebbe not. That's football (or at least it used to be until bloody VAR). I'm giving Michael the benefit of t'doubt here. Oliver 3 - Critics 1.

There you have it, you southern. jessies! Northern Refwatch has cleared it all up. Let's hope we have a decent ref tonight, Jeremy Corbyn would be a good man for the job, there's no way he'd let the Russians off with any shenanigans...

Post #485053  Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:13 am 

Oliver's decision to send off Buffon was correct and really a bit of a no-brainer considering Buffon pushed him. I thought his overall refereeing performance was quite poor though. He was dishing out yellow cards for minor tackles and he penalised Juve far more than Madrid - 20 fouls against Juve to 8 against Madrid.

The award of a free or penalty for minor contact is taking the enjoyment out of the game for me. It's not just the diving at the slightest touch, it's attackers falling into defenders to initiate contact. Unfortunately, the tv companies love this as it gives them plenty to talk about and VAR won't help either as that will lead to even more discussion about "contact".

Post #485054  Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:16 am 

I thought it was arguably a penalty depending on whether you thought the defender gave a slight shove to prevent a goal in which case debates over 'contact' become irrelevant. Foul. Penalty. I thought the defender actually was trying to brake rather than push the attacker which is why I thought it was harsh but add a raised foot from behind and you can see why it was given.

For me it was 50-50 and I wish he hadn't given it. VAR would and should have made no difference at all there, it should have remained umpire's call since everybody has a different opinion on it and there is no glaring miscarriage of justice except in the minds of the Italians which is how football has always been and probably should remain.

Post #485055  Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:23 am 

Northern Ref wrote:
Jeremy Corbyn would be a good man for the job, there's no way he'd let the Russians off with any shenanigans...

Yes the Spartak defender pulled out an AK47 and blasted Lacazette with it when he was in on goal but we must not jump to hasty conclusions and I think the right thing to do is send a video of the incident to the Russians and ask for their opinion as to whether contact was made...

Post #485056  Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:43 am 

Anyway, look, the weather is *%^@ but if anybody wants their spirits lifted this morning then...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/commonwealth-games/43722312

Post #485057  Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:01 am 

dec wrote:
Oliver's decision to send off Buffon was correct and really a bit of a no-brainer considering Buffon pushed him. I thought his overall refereeing performance was quite poor though. He was dishing out yellow cards for minor tackles and he penalised Juve far more than Madrid - 20 fouls against Juve to 8 against Madrid.

The award of a free or penalty for minor contact is taking the enjoyment out of the game for me. It's not just the diving at the slightest touch, it's attackers falling into defenders to initiate contact. Unfortunately, the tv companies love this as it gives them plenty to talk about and VAR won't help either as that will lead to even more discussion about "contact".

Plus the non-bookings for the diving particularly Ronaldo egregious efforts.

Post #485058  Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:12 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:

You would have fitted in very well in German in the 1930's. Don't criticise, accept what is happening. Ten whacks - if people keep making a mess of it, then acquiescence by silence allows people like Kroenke to make no changes or not even consider change. If they mess up more than ten times, people need to call it how it is. Obviously many supporters are choosing a silent protest by not going to the games.

If people don't express their disgust then your old mate Wenger comes out with drivel like last year when he said a few hundred people were unhappy with the team.

It is too bad that when we were in run of loses you were so busy watching non league football that you couldn't come on and tell us why we were wrong. Of course it may be that your position and Wengers is untenable.

Absolutely Gaz. The impact of zzzzzs on freedom of expression is incalculable.

I'm sure the German populace are extremely grateful that the dastardly Hoy was not inflicted on them. Goebbels, the gestapo, and Adolph were bad enough but rows of zzzzzzs typed at them would surely have been too much.

Post #485059  Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:15 am 

Daz wrote:
Northern Ref wrote:
Jeremy Corbyn would be a good man for the job, there's no way he'd let the Russians off with any shenanigans...

Yes the Spartak defender pulled out an AK47 and blasted Lacazette with it when he was in on goal but we must not jump to hasty conclusions and I think the right thing to do is send a video of the incident to the Russians and ask for their opinion as to whether contact was made...

:laughing7:

Post #485060  Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:22 am 

Daz wrote:

This end of the CL is often fantastic. The two-legged tie, showcasing the best players in the world, produces unparalleled drama. The final should also be two legs.

The problem is the dreary group games and (for gooners) that Arsenal have been stinking up the competition so appallingly for so many years.

Buffon is a fascist *%^@.

Post #485061  Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:23 am 

Daz wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

While I don't actually agree with Hoy, I am not sure that satisfaction with six fairly uninteresting wins for the team you support and colluding with perhaps the most infamous genocidal regime in history is an entirely appropriate comparison. Wenger is many things but Hitler he is not, partly because the latter never seemed to struggle with the fastening of whichever overcoat he happened to choose for the occasion. He did tend to opt for buttons over zips so perhaps there's a lesson there for Arsene.

But please don't hit so many Zs, Hoy, as it really does unformat the page. I'm not saying it's comparable to the final solution but it is a bit annoying.

You might have missed this - it is all about speaking out and challenging others. Not just keep everything the same because it is easier. If we don’t speak out against the club they assume they have our support. If a few more people had challenged Hitler earlier on things might have been different. I am not saying Wenger is like Hitler.

Post #485062  Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:53 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Daz wrote:

You might have missed this - it is all about speaking out and challenging others. Not just keep everything the same because it is easier. If we don’t speak out against the club they assume they have our support. If a few more people had challenged Hitler earlier on things might have been different. I am not saying Wenger is like Hitler.

Yeah I just don't think the comparison works on any level really. To compare somebody who doesn't share your views on a football club manager to somebody who would have fitted in well in Nazi Germany is - and I dislike the word and think it is greatly overused - quite offensive when you think about it.

Post #485063  Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:53 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Morning OMOH. I think DHD was making the point that your long rows of X's buggers up the format of the page for others. It certainly does for me. For example, since you did them the posts on this page are now all squeezed onto the left hand side of my screen, making them difficult to read. The problem presumably won't be resolved until 40 posts have been done on this page and we move onto a new page, at least until you do it again.

When people just moan about Wenger making being an Arsenal fan boring, it doesn't happen. That's why I think your coments about moaners vandalising the forum are massively over the top. Well, not just massively over the top, but completely wrong.

If you really insist on doing a huge number of X's, perhaps you could limit the number to, say 20 or 25, then click the new paragraph key and do another 20, 25 (or whatever number you choose) on a fresh line. You can do as many lines of a more limited number of X's as you like, but at least it wouldn't bugger up the format of the page for others. I haven't mentioned it before as I didn't know it caused problems for others, until I read DHD's post. I thought it was just me, so let it go without previous coment.
As that doesn't happen on my screen at all I didn't realise the Zs did that. I thought DHD was cracking a joke, the subtlety of which I didn't appreciate! Of course I will happily reduced the Zs to a number that does not annoy.

Post #485064  Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:06 pm 

Gaz from Oz wrote:

You might want to think about that first sentence a little? I am happy to accept an apology. Was in New Zealand when we had that bad run, and difficult as it may be to believe, we were mercifully free of the internet in that beautiful country. I really had better things to do than worry about Arsenal's situation.

Post #485065  Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:45 pm 

Relax, guys, nothing to worry about, the CSKA manager clearly hasn't got a clue about his opponents tonight.

Meanwhile, CSKA coach Viktor Goncharenko is hopeful that Arsenal's attacking philosophy could help his side produce a shock.

"Arsenal have a philosophy and have stuck to it for a long time, for many years, regardless of their record," he said.

"If they are losing or winning they still play to make supporters and fans happy. When you act like this, trying to cheer up the supporters, you can have some problems in the defence."

Post #485066  Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:49 pm 

Our happy supporters, cheered up by Arsene's swashbuckling attacking fireworks, are probably the one thing you cannot count on tonight, Viktor.

I did enjoy Ramsey's goal last leg though.

Post #485067  Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:41 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
Bernard wrote:

As that doesn't happen on my screen at all I didn't realise the Zs did that. I thought DHD was cracking a joke, the subtlety of which I didn't appreciate! Of course I will happily reduced the Zs to a number that does not annoy.

Mine neither.

Its useful to know, mind you. One could unleash as string of Zs (or Xs just for Bernard) as a form of warfare, without fear of retaliation. One could lord it over the forum like Darth Vader or Donald Trump. For example, I think a string of these strategically placed at the top of each page would cause Bernard more distress than tramp vomit or pastry, and might help him see sense on important issues such as the superiority of Ljungberg over Wiltord.

I presume the longer the string, the more the rest of the forum would be squeezed into the left of the screen?

Post #485068  Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:03 pm 

Decaf wrote:
For example, I think a string of these strategically placed at the top of each page would cause Bernard more distress than tramp vomit or pastry, and might help him see sense on important issues such as the superiority of Ljungberg over Wiltord.

It wouldn't actually, which is why it was only DHD's post that made me mention it. I've never bothered before. I believe my opinion on Wiltord and Ljungberg is appropriate. If you disagree with it, that's fine as you're entitled to your own opinion. But your view is no more than opinion, just like mine is.

Post #485069  Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:42 pm 

Elneny is going up and up in my estimation.

I thought last Thursday that we were the better of two less-than-great teams. From what I’ve seen so far this evening, that’s still my view.

Post #485070  Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:48 pm 

WTF Mustafi. He just *%^@*** stood there.

Post #485071  Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:57 pm 

With apologies to OMOH and Bernard:

ZZZZ

Post #485072  Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:13 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
kiwipete wrote:
:laughing7: Moaning about the way we play at least shows a little more passion for the Club than someone waffling on about Arsene deserving a knighthood for winning six games in a row .

Get back to the Easy Sudoku you old tugger .
More of a chess man to be honest. I'll always enjoy it when my club wins six in a row. Seven, even better.

Different strokes I guess Old Man , the result is all important for you whereas I like to see a bit of decent creative football along the way .

First half against Moscow you'd be gloriously happy because we are still well in control of the tie , I'm thinking "Jesus we haven't created anything at all for 45 minutes against a fairly average team "

Play a bit of chess myself joined a site called Sparkchess had quite a few wins against high ranked players but have since regressed and tend to go into cruiso matic mode when a piece up and sometimes lose some shockers I should have won.

Post #485073  Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:16 pm 

Geez, our goalkeeper is useless. Fits in well with the overall team display.

Post #485074  Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:16 pm 

So we fall back and invite pressure.

And how do we deal with pressure?

Post #485075  Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:24 pm 

Yessssss!!!!! ....... No

Well offside. Shame. Nice header.

Post #485076  Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:27 pm 

Well it's been absolute garbage so far.

Post #485077  Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:30 pm 

If only we still had Cygan to come on and lock down the left wing.

Post #485078  Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:32 pm 

Watching this I came across a thought....

When was the last game Arsenal played away from home where an opposition goal meant that goal put us behind or drew the game level, AND we still went on to win?

ie: when was the last time we faced adversity away from home and came through it?

Post #485079  Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:32 pm 

Changed my view. We’re lesser of two poor teams.

Post #485080  Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:32 pm 

John wrote:
If only we still had Cygan to come on and lock down the left wing.
:42laughter:

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12124, 12125, 12126, 12127, 12128, 12129, 12130 ... 14269  Next