Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:30 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], bubblechris, Lincoln gooner and 88 guests

Post #497121  Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:10 pm 

Niall wrote:
This summer we need a CB to replace Mustafi, a CB for the ageing Koscielny, a new LB, a CM to replace Ramsey, and at least one wide man to play either right or left imo as we have no decent wingers.

6 quality players.

Therefore, we need a big result at Wolves on Wednesday. Unbelievable, after Utd got thumped to throw that away.

Reflective of our squad strength unfortunately. We’re truly a Europa League side which is shown by how many players you’ve listed that we need 1 which I completely agree with btw. If you have to start Mustafi and Elneny - ever - and Iwobi and Guendouzi and the rest of the decent squaddies are very regular starters you’re going to make these stumbles.

Post #497122  Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:11 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
A very good day - for Chelsea and Tottenham :20hospitals:

Chelsea likely the biggest beneficiary this week for clubs aiming third and fourth.

Post #497123  Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:11 pm 

gooner7 wrote:
Niall wrote:
No, he's an adequate squad player but we rely on him to be one of our top men which he clearly isn't.

Iwobi will never get a place, even on the bench, in other top teams.

Don't know about that, we have seen him do some great stuff, especially running with the ball. He wasn't atrocious today but he just made sloppy errors in possession at a vital time in the game. Plus the poor finish. But I think overall, we got to be talking about the defence. Mustafi and Kolasinac in the same back line is just asking for trouble and inevitably we get it.

Post #497124  Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:11 pm 

Niall wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I’ve written it off.

We won’t do it. We have too many games and not enough players.

We can’t even bring in 3 squaddies without it turning a banker into disaster

Did we start 5 at the back at home to Palace?

That’s another crazy decision. I’ve been harping on about this for weeks. It’s Emery over reacting to the poor quality of our defenders.

You can’t be driven by insecurities or fear.

It’s europa or bust

Post #497125  Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:12 pm 

We’re still fourth somehow. Just to give you a bit of hope to be crushed.

Post #497126  Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:12 pm 

Niall wrote:
Missed the first half, wish I'd missed the second.

Mustafi and Kolasinac have to go, both absolutely awful defenders. FFS Mustafi was in FRONT of his man when he decided to stop running! What an idiot.

I think Mustafi is not a poor player. I am thinking something much more sinister. We play Valencia, his previous team, and I fear he will knowingly gift them a goal, or a penalty (or two).

Post #497127  Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:14 pm 

Niall wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

Don't know about that, we have seen him do some great stuff, especially running with the ball. He wasn't atrocious today but he just made sloppy errors in possession at a vital time in the game. Plus the poor finish. But I think overall, we got to be talking about the defence. Mustafi and Kolasinac in the same back line is just asking for trouble and inevitably we get it.

Iwobi the least of our problem... he's 22. Like Guendouzi, a good squaddie who may still improve further in the next couple of seasons.

Post #497128  Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:14 pm 

Ash wrote:
Niall wrote:
This summer we need a CB to replace Mustafi, a CB for the ageing Koscielny, a new LB, a CM to replace Ramsey, and at least one wide man to play either right or left imo as we have no decent wingers.

6 quality players.

Therefore, we need a big result at Wolves on Wednesday. Unbelievable, after Utd got thumped to throw that away.

Reflective of our squad strength unfortunately. We’re truly a Europa League side which is shown by how many players you’ve listed that we need 1 which I completely agree with btw. If you have to start Mustafi and Elneny - ever - and Iwobi and Guendouzi and the rest of the decent squaddies are very regular starters you’re going to make these stumbles.

Yes, the line up was very poor today. Jenkinson, Elneny, Mustafi, Kolasinac, Mavropanos.
Horrendous.
I'll excuse Guendouzi as I do rate him.

Post #497129  Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:15 pm 

Niall wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

I still don't think Iwobi is at any level for top teams to consider spending their available funds.

Post #497130  Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:16 pm 

Ash wrote:
Niall wrote:
Too inconsistent, you can't rely on him. Woeful shot at the end with clear sight of goal. Put your laces through it ffs!

I think we all go back and forth with Iwobi, he varies between neat and tidy and high work rate, to a bit brainless with no end product. Wherever people think of him surely no one would want him to be first choice as much as he is.

I think we all agree with that. He should be one place further back in the pecking order for his role. The problem is we've spent the last 4 years selling wide players without buying any, and also selling home-grown players, so his importance to us is greater than it should be. Also, in his defence, Wan Bissaka is an excellent young full back.

He's been excellent at times for us this season, but if his end product doesn't improve his place in the pecking order will slowly diminish.

Post #497131  Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:16 pm 

gooner7 wrote:
Niall wrote:

I still don't think Iwobi is at any level for top teams to consider spending their available funds.

Yeah, I'm not suggesting they would buy him, but if he was a homegrown player for some of them he may at least make the bench. Hypothetical anyway.

Post #497132  Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:17 pm 

gooner7 wrote:
Niall wrote:

Mustafi and Kolasinac have to go, both absolutely awful defenders. FFS Mustafi was in FRONT of his man when he decided to stop running! What an idiot.

I think Mustafi is not a poor player. I am thinking something much more sinister. We play Valencia, his previous team, and I fear he will knowingly gift them a goal, or a penalty (or two).

Mustafi is a very good athlete. Not a so good defender though. Should be our third or even fourth choice CB. Insted he's starting majority of our games.

Post #497133  Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:18 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Didn’t watch the game but had a feeling we would slip up

I see the comments about Mustafi and all I’ll say is after my headloss rant about him after the league cup final last year when I walked out the ground because he decided to mark Aguero not goal side for a kick from their keeper is that I’m not surprised. I’d rather see Iwobi at centre half than him, seriously he is that much of a liability.

Mustafi's only there because Sokratis was suspended, Monreal struggling for fitness and Holding injured. He's become our 5th choice centreback in a 3 or 4th choice in a 4, and thats only because Mavropanos is only just returning from injury. We all know he's not good enough. Emery knows he's not good enough. But today we simply didn't have anyone else.

Post #497134  Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:18 pm 

gooner7 wrote:
Niall wrote:

There isn’t a single thing he’s done in his life that was “Knowingly”:

Post #497135  Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:18 pm 

What a total idiot mustafi is.
Absolute bell end
That defeat could have cost us top 4.
Blown a great chance to go 3rd and go 5 clear of Utd and 2 of spurs especially with 3 tough away games to come.
So pissed off

Post #497136  Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:20 pm 

lomekian wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Didn’t watch the game but had a feeling we would slip up

I see the comments about Mustafi and all I’ll say is after my headloss rant about him after the league cup final last year when I walked out the ground because he decided to mark Aguero not goal side for a kick from their keeper is that I’m not surprised. I’d rather see Iwobi at centre half than him, seriously he is that much of a liability.

Mustafi's only there because Sokratis was suspended, Monreal struggling for fitness and Holding injured. He's become our 5th choice centreback in a 3 or 4th choice in a 4, and thats only because Mavropanos is only just returning from injury. We all know he's not good enough. Emery knows he's not good enough. But today we simply didn't have anyone else.

Yes we played 3 centre halves though

Play Monreal, Lichtensteiner. *%^@*** anybody

He shouldn’t be here and now in my opinion has overtaken Xhaka as the worst arsenal signing of all time.

Post #497137  Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:22 pm 

Niall wrote:
Ash wrote:

Yes, the line up was very poor today. Jenkinson, Elneny, Mustafi, Kolasinac, Mavropanos.
Horrendous.
I'll excuse Guendouzi as I do rate him.

I really like his forward passes with pace to feet, I like his attitude and I love his confidence. I’m less of a fan of his getting caught on the ball where he has a tendency to turn then flop under pressure looking for the decision, and he lacks the acceleration to burst past opponents. At his age I have no idea whether he’ll really establish himself or really what kind of player he’ll be in our midfield. A bit more offensively minded Petit perhaps.

Post #497138  Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:26 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
lomekian wrote:

He shouldn’t be here and now in my opinion has overtaken Xhaka as the worst arsenal signing of all time.

We missed Xhaka today. He's been very good for a while now.

Post #497139  Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:31 pm 

socrates wrote:
lomekian wrote:
Prototypical Arsenal defeat. Appalling defensive errors, enterprising attacking against a defensive opponent and refereeing errors. We should have had 1 pen, had 2 more marginal shouts...a draw would have been fair.

I'll be astounded if Mustafi and Elneny are here next season.

I genuinely do not understand how we keep conceding such ridiculous goals. I thought Emery was supposed to be some sort of intensive coach who would quickly identify and irradicate these stupid defensive mistakes. It's not all down to individuals either, we consistently leave players unmarked in the box and constantly fail to understand what is required of a given situation both individually and collectively.

Today was the second goal we've conceded from a corner or wide set piece all season - the best in the UK. So systemically we're ok, but Guendouzi and Kolasinac didn't push out, as was obviously what they should do. We're probably the most improved team in the league in that area.

The other problems are more down to individuals than system - because it is a combination of individuals. Mustafi is an idiot. Kos is still very good, but adjusting to no longer having the explosiveness in acceleration or jumping he used to. Monreal has been half-injured all year. Kolasinac has literally no defensive instincts at all. Bellerin has missed 2/3 of the season with injury. Holding likewise. Sokratis is a good 2nd tier centreback who is a solid option for a club on our financial footing, but there's a reason no CL clubs bought him - rash at times, mediocre on the ball and short for a centre back. AMN is learning. Lichsteiner is a busted flush sadly. Jenks is only here by accident after 3 years of trying to sell him.

I mean, its not the most convincing selection of tools. Also worth remembering that when we actually had Holding, Bellerin & Monreal all fit, we had a very decent defensive record. Helped when Torreira as still firing on all cylanders and Xhaka was fit.

Essentially, if you take 3 first choice players in defence and 3 first choice midfielders like today out of any team bar the super rich, they'll look vulnerable, and we've had 2-3 first choice defenders (as holding had become) missing for over half the season, and at least 1 first choice midfielder missing in most games since Xmas.

Lets see how Emery's defensive system works with a fit left back who can defend, another intelligent and mobile centre back with some size and with Bellerin and Holding back.

Post #497140  Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:34 pm 

gooner7 wrote:
Niall wrote:

If everyone who should be fit is, he'll be on the bench.

Post #497141  Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:35 pm 

Goonie wrote:
gooner7 wrote:

Mustafi is a very good athlete. Not a so good defender though. Should be our third or even fourth choice CB. Insted he's starting majority of our games.

When everyone's fit, he's our 4th choice centre back under Emery. Injuries, however, are a bitch.

Post #497142  Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:37 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
lomekian wrote:

Monreal's not fit and Lichsteiner's injured. Emery's team selection in recent weeks has made it clear that he doesn't rate Mustafi, but when there's literally no one else to pick from?

Post #497143  Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:39 pm 

Goonie wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

We missed Xhaka today. He's been very good for a while now.

Indeed. Xhaka has his flaws for sure, but he's a very decent player and one who, unlike Mustafi, is slowly becoming smarter. There's a reason why the new manager picks him whenever he can, and a reason why he is captain of Switzerland, who are a very decent side despite lacking a top striker. You'd make a healthy profit on Xhaka today. Mustafi, bar his first few months, has been a disaster who we'll make a big loss on.

Post #497144  Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:17 pm 

lomekian wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Monreal's not fit and Lichsteiner's injured. Emery's team selection in recent weeks has made it clear that he doesn't rate Mustafi, but when there's literally no one else to pick from?

Then play 2 and not 3 and ensure mustafi is the one booted.

I don’t believe we have youth players who aren’t better than mustafi

Post #497145  Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:37 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Niall wrote:

6 quality players.

I’ve written it off.

We won’t do it. We have too many games and not enough players.

We can’t even bring in 3 squaddies without it turning a banker into disaster

I've written us off several times this season. We'll be decent again when Emery can pick a decent team, and our rivals are also misfiring. So I am waiting for the fat lady to do her bit before leaving my seat ...

Post #497146  Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:37 pm 

lomekian wrote:
socrates wrote:

I genuinely do not understand how we keep conceding such ridiculous goals. I thought Emery was supposed to be some sort of intensive coach who would quickly identify and irradicate these stupid defensive mistakes. It's not all down to individuals either, we consistently leave players unmarked in the box and constantly fail to understand what is required of a given situation both individually and collectively.

The other problems are more down to individuals than system - because it is a combination of individuals. Mustafi is an idiot. Kos is still very good, but adjusting to no longer having the explosiveness in acceleration or jumping he used to. Monreal has been half-injured all year. Kolasinac has literally no defensive instincts at all. Bellerin has missed 2/3 of the season with injury. Holding likewise. Sokratis is a good 2nd tier centreback who is a solid option for a club on our financial footing, but there's a reason no CL clubs bought him - rash at times, mediocre on the ball and short for a centre back. AMN is learning. Lichsteiner is a busted flush sadly. Jenks is only here by accident after 3 years of trying to sell him.

I mean, its not the most convincing selection of tools. Also worth remembering that when we actually had Holding, Bellerin & Monreal all fit, we had a very decent defensive record. Helped when Torreira as still firing on all cylanders and Xhaka was fit.

Essentially, if you take 3 first choice players in defence and 3 first choice midfielders like today out of any team bar the super rich, they'll look vulnerable, and we've had 2-3 first choice defenders (as holding had become) missing for over half the season, and at least 1 first choice midfielder missing in most games since Xmas.

Lets see how Emery's defensive system works with a fit left back who can defend, another intelligent and mobile centre back with some size and with Bellerin and Holding back.

Our second and third string players are still mainly internationals though.

Individually and collectively the players seem unable to grasp the very basics of defending at a professional level. A lot of our defending would be embarassing if you saw it in a Sunday league game let alone in a PL game.

Post #497147  Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:40 pm 

Today was a banker and we messed it up
I think there will be a few more wierd results from the 4 chasing top 4.
We really need to win 3 from the 4 remaining to be sure. Can anyone see us beating 2 from Leicester wolves and Burnley away assuming we beat Brighton????
Utd play city and Chelsea but then finish with 2 easy against cardiff and Huddersfield.
Chelsea have burnley home tomorrow andutd leicester away and Watford at home.
Spurs will definitely finish top 4
West ham and Everton at home bournemouth away plus one other

Post #497148  Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:46 pm 

david.d wrote:

We certainly played like a bunch of bankers.

Post #497149  Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:56 pm 

socrates wrote:
david.d wrote:

Lol
We certainly did Soc
Do you think we will miss out on top 4?

Post #497150  Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:59 pm 

david.d wrote:
socrates wrote:

Lol
We certainly did Soc

It will be close but my gut feeling is that Chelsea will edge it due to the Hazard factor.

Plus we seem to bottle every opportunity that is handed to us.

Post #497151  Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:23 pm 

socrates wrote:
david.d wrote:
Lol
We certainly did Soc

It will be close but my gut feeling is that Chelsea will edge it due to the Hazard factor.

That we do.
Lets hope burnley can do us a favour and take a point off them tomorrow.
And utd and Chelsea play out a draw

Post #497152  Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:45 pm 

That’s is on Emery today. Far too much rotation. Certain players in that starting 11 shouldn’t be starting for us.

Look at Liverpool, Robertson, vvd, the front 3 play virtually every game. We only have 7 games left. Play our best 11 every game now

Post #497153  Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:48 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
lomekian wrote:

Then play 2 and not 3 and ensure mustafi is the one booted.

I don’t believe we have youth players who aren’t better than mustafi

You do realise that apart from the u18s this year, our defence at youth level has been pony for a decade....

Post #497154  Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:56 pm 

socrates wrote:
lomekian wrote:

Our second and third string players are still mainly internationals though.

Individually and collectively the players seem unable to grasp the very basics of defending at a professional level. A lot of our defending would be embarassing if you saw it in a Sunday league game let alone in a PL game.

But so much of that is personnel.

Bellerin, Sokratis, Kos & Holding (and AMN in a 5 & possibly Kolasinac in a 5 against teams without wingers) can be worked with, as can Leno. The rest of our defence simply aren't up to it at anything other than mid table level now Monreal can't stay fit. Also the fact that injuries and suspensions have stuffed our chances of a settled back-line for 2/3 of the season has been a massive problem. No partnerships in there.

Post #497155  Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:26 pm 

socrates wrote:
david.d wrote:
Lol
We certainly did Soc

Does that not sound similar to the last few seasons. When given an opportunity they mentally collapse. From the first moment they failed to put in an effort. Özil dropped deeper but players deliberately did not try and make themselves available for passes. They did not want the responsibility. The midfield was however weak and just the start of our problems.

I still think Emery is struggling to understand some of the teams in the EPL. As has been identified on here 6 quality players are required.

Post #497156  Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:02 am 

I was traveling while the match was going on. Just saw the extended highlights. Maybe the actual game says different but it seems like Mustafi has single-handedly killed off our season. Didn't account for him at all when making predictions. We are better off with literally anyone but him. Any other defender, youth or whatever. Why isn't it plain?

Post #497157  Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:46 am 

For me Emery gets a pass this season. Too big of a learning curve to expect him to get top 4. The fact we are even in the running is in a large part due to him.

Not to knock Wenger since he is gone but had he been the manager, we'd be 7rh or 8th possibly..at best.

Post #497158  Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:53 am 

I think we now stand a better chance of getting CL from the Europa League than the prem. yesterday’s loss will prove fatal to top 4 and I think it will be spurs and Chelsea now.
Spurs will coast in to 3rd with their fixtures. Chelsea will take 8-10 points from their games which we won’t be able to match from ours.

Games like these really highlight the lack of quality in so many positions in the squad, also the rotten luck with injuries.

Post #497159  Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:07 am 

lomekian wrote:

But so much of that is personnel.

Even mid table level players are capable of understanding the very basics of defending, like tracking runners, marking players or playing to the whistle.

Kola often looks great in a back five where he is absolved of much of the responsibility of defending and can fly forward at will. Put him in a back four and he looks pony.

Yesterday, we didn't get a free kick we expected to so everybody just stopped and let Palace play on. That is farcical. Next we will be sitting down in the centre circle and refusing to continue if a decision goes against us.

Surely players at this level should have the basic intelligence to work things out for themselves. For example, if two Palace players are stood unmarked at the back post then a quick risk assessment tells you that it is more important for them to be picked up than it is to just mark space. Telling yourself that they are not in your designated area is an easy cop out and just shirking the responsibility. As someone once said "space never scored a goal".

Post #497160  Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:08 am 

Mustafi’s mistakes against Spurs and yesterday have single handedly cost us 4 points. That alone could cost us CL football next season. Useless prick.

This is good though.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12426, 12427, 12428, 12429, 12430, 12431, 12432 ... 14269  Next