Fixtures Saturday April 20th - Wolves - Molineux Stadium - 7:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:02 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Googlebot, warrior and 160 guests

Post #491281  Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:45 am 

Rich wrote:
Weirdly since Xhaka moved to right back he’s just been so much more switched on defensively than he is in CM. Good in the 1v1 and getting out to block crosses. He must know he’s not comfortable there so is just more concentrated

Xhaka has improved much this season. Kudos to him.

Post #491282  Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:55 am 

10 wins out of 10, not an easy feat. Keep pushing on and build up towards the bigger games. This team looks to have a stronger mental fortitude. I think the key difference is their freedom to express. I enjoyed the runs from deep (Bellerin) to up the momentum of the attack. Less of the side and back passes. I am finally enjoying Arsenal games again. Long may it continue.

Post #491283  Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:24 am 

3 very brilliant goals but the speed of passing & individual responsibility players are taking was very impressive. The players have some belief & even us fans are being swept up. Yep there will be some bad results ahead but if you told me would have 21 points before the end of October I would have bitten your hand off at the beginning of the season.

Post #491284  Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:09 am 

Rich wrote:
I like Maguire and Chilwell but they both got completely done by Özil's magic pass (chilwell) and dummy and run behind (maguire). But then if you don't play for a really big club the media will forget those mistakes and only highlight your good games. Certain players get the opposite treatment, Özil is in that camp and so is someone like Pogba.
Tomorrow's headlines will be about Özil but I guarantee each report will also say 'why doesnt he do it all the time'. People are too quick to focus on the things Özil doesn't do rather than the things he can do. Media give body language more credence than actual stats that show Özil has created more chances than any player in the league since he joined, more than media darlings Silva and De Bruyne - in a weaker team

Never mind the media. Some of our fans need to look at how quickly they get on players' backs and write them off when they are going through a bad patch.

As for our defense, I think it is a work in progress. Tonight's shakiness was hardly surprising considering.

Post #491285  Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:10 am 

dec wrote:
Rich wrote:
Notice that the 3rd goal started from Leno playing it out short to holding. Xhaka plays an important part in bringing it out further by knowing that it is actually fairly easy to side step a player rushing directly at you with a high press, the defender finds it difficult to stop and change direction, Anyway from the left back it gets switched centrally and then right, then the final beauty of the dummy, the return and the classic square ball for a tap in.

Emery must have loved it and one in the eye for the dinosaurs of the football punditry world (Allerdyce) who say you shouldn't play like that.

That goal was all about 3 pieces of brilliance from Özil. The initial flick opened up the space, not Leno playing a short pass to a centreback. You don't need your keeper to play keep ball with his defenders to open up a team's midfield.

Of course the main reason for the goal are the sublime pieces of play from Özil, but my point is without the play it out from the back policy that doesn’t happen, Leno more likely hoofs the ball downfield, or if he doesn’t holding does

Post #491286  Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:25 am 

Test Message ...

Post #491287  Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:41 am 

Babu III wrote:
Lacazette + Brothel = FAIL

You are a fine one to talk. On the evidence at hand, I would say that you are the one who might encounter problems in that setting.

You let fly rather too easily.

Post #491288  Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:46 am 

Niall wrote:
Hazuki wrote:
Obviously it's not all because of Emery - the goals today were all individual pieces of skill from very talented players - but his ability to turn a game around is extremely impressive so far. Great substitutions in pretty much every game and he always seem to get the team going when we're struggling.

Hope he puts his finger on the first half lethargy pretty soon, must be tearing his hair out.

Another sublime attacking performance in the second half! Onto Palace we go. 3 points there and we can take Liverpool for second in early November!

I wonder. Bellerin's comments definitely suggest we are playing rope a dope. Most of the teams in the top flight have decent attackers and have to be show some respect. In any case it is better to start slow and finish like a runaway locomotive than do the Babu routine.

Post #491289  Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:48 am 

long time gooner wrote:
Hazuki wrote:
Not been a perfect performance, but I'm not going to complain about a single thing when we score goals like the ones we've scored here. Özil is just a sublime player. What a performance from him today.

So much for Arsene’s opinion that he’d now be demotivated with nothing to play for

Arsene who? :42laughter:

Post #491290  Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:56 am 

Rich wrote:
dec wrote:
That goal was all about 3 pieces of brilliance from Özil. The initial flick opened up the space, not Leno playing a short pass to a centreback. You don't need your keeper to play keep ball with his defenders to open up a team's midfield.

Of course the main reason for the goal are the sublime pieces of play from Özil, but my point is without the play it out from the back policy that doesn’t happen, Leno more likely hoofs the ball downfield, or if he doesn’t holding does

There is a difference between playing out from the back and playing triangles with the keeper. You don't need to do that to play through a side. It's very much a Pep thing.

Post #491291  Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:07 am 

warrior wrote:
Test Message ...

There is an error on the forum which is preventing me from doing updates and accessing the main pages for the site.

It doesn't affect posting, just admin access for me. I am looking into it.

I suspect it may may be related to our 10 game winning streak as this is something which has not been seen in such a long time. :25surprise:

Post #491292  Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:16 am 

gooner7 wrote:
Rich wrote:
Weirdly since Xhaka moved to right back he’s just been so much more switched on defensively than he is in CM. Good in the 1v1 and getting out to block crosses. He must know he’s not comfortable there so is just more concentrated

Xhaka has improved much this season. Kudos to him.

Yes he has. Difficult to gauge how much the of the improvement is down to having a little Rottweiler next to him chasing every ball down

Post #491293  Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:30 am 

dec wrote:
There is a difference between playing out from the back and playing triangles with the keeper. You don't need to do that to play through a side. It's very much a Pep thing.

Point still stands though, it was a tight situation and it would’ve been very easy to just hoof it. The team is obviously determined to play the ball out from the back, and this time it lead to one of the best goals any team will score this season. Kudos to Emery for sticking to his conviction even though everyone was one his case from day one.

Post #491294  Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:39 am 

The big plus is we are winning the games we should be winning hence 10 straight. The test will come with a top 6 club.
I really do wonder if Wenger is happy to see Arsenal winning. I really don't know how petty he is. I hope he isn't but if I heard he was a bit jealous I wouldn't be shocked.
The big thing about Emery is he knows how to make adjustments.

Post #491295  Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:41 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
I really don't know how petty he is. I hope he isn't but if I heard he was a bit jealous I wouldn't be shocked.

Yeah, some people can get really obsessed with petty grudges.

Post #491296  Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:42 am 

Babu III wrote:
Lacazette + Brothel = FAIL

Booboo III + Oxygen = Thief

Post #491297  Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:57 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Yes he has. Difficult to gauge how much the of the improvement is down to having a little Rottweiler next to him chasing every ball down

Not that difficult, he was playing really well before Torreria began starting games. Overall he’s been excellent in his own right this season. Really like the partnership with him and Torreira.

Post #491298  Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:22 am 

gooner7 wrote:
long time gooner wrote:
So much for Arsene’s opinion that he’d now be demotivated with nothing to play for

Arsene who? :42laughter:

He must mean the Real Madrid manager-in-waiting. I read he was 69 yesterday (no hilarious nudge nudge, wink wink cracks please). Know how he must feel, he put years on most of us.

Post #491299  Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:50 am 

If we could keep the score to 0-0 every first half we could be the best team in the league.

Liking it playing safe and then letting rip which we could do earlier against the lower teams but for now I'd love us to keep it tight then run the opposition out of the game.

Post #491300  Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:20 am 

I'm afraid some rather disturbing footage has emerged of Torreira involved in an altercation with Newcastle's Jonjo Shelvey. Luckily Mesut Özil was on hand to pull him back.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1052912828158537728

Post #491301  Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:52 am 

gooner7 wrote:
10 wins out of 10, not an easy feat. Keep pushing on and build up towards the bigger games. This team looks to have a stronger mental fortitude. I think the key difference is their freedom to express. I enjoyed the runs from deep (Bellerin) to up the momentum of the attack. Less of the side and back passes. I am finally enjoying Arsenal games again. Long may it continue.
Yes it is a very good run for which the management, and more importantly, the players can take credit. Leno's performances are especially encouraging as it is so easy for a keeper to slip up - his athleticism is a plus. The games in Lisbon and Palace will be hard. If we win those then I have to fancy us to overcome Liverpool.

Post #491302  Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:56 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
...I really do wonder if Wenger is happy to see Arsenal winning. I really don't know how petty he is. I hope he isn't but if I heard he was a bit jealous I wouldn't be shocked...
Dear oh dear. Please leave it to the supporters of other clubs to stick the knife into our heroes!

Post #491303  Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:58 am 

warrior wrote:
warrior wrote:
Test Message ...

There is an error on the forum which is preventing me from doing updates and accessing the main pages for the site.

I suspect it may may be related to our 10 game winning streak as this is something which has not been seen in such a long time. :25surprise:

Fixed now.

Post #491304  Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:28 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
The big plus is we are winning the games we should be winning hence 10 straight. The test will come with a top 6 club.
I really do wonder if Wenger is happy to see Arsenal winning. I really don't know how petty he is. I hope he isn't but if I heard he was a bit jealous I wouldn't be shocked.

Yes, you don't know how petty Wenger is. In fact you have no information whatsoever on that point. What passes for you 'imagination' is concocting this driveling and unseemly speculation. There has been absolution nothing objectionable in his conduct since he left. So could you (and Babu and the others) show just a tiny bit of generosity here?

Post #491305  Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:37 pm 

Hazuki wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Not that difficult, he was playing really well before Torreria began starting games. Overall he’s been excellent in his own right this season. Really like the partnership with him and Torreira.

I agree with Hazuki on this. Xhaka was playing well even before Torreira got into the side. For me there are a number of positives about Emery's influence so far, and a general improvement of various players already at the club is one of them. Xhaka is one of a number of quite blatant examples. Others include Bellerin, Iwobi and Čech (I went to a talk and Q&A by Charlie George last week who, speaking as a lifelong fan, feels Čech is arguably our player of the season so far even though Leno has been so good he thinks Čech will face a struggle to get back in the team). Also there's Lacazette and, I have to say, Mustafi who I believe has had a fine season.

Anther factor that I believe reflects well on Emery is the new signings, without exception, look good. Guendouzi, Torreira and Leno have all been outstanding. Sokratis has been very impressive and even Lichtsteiner, perhaps the least exciting of the new arrivals, has done well when he's played. Another change I welcome is a willingness to get the ball forward more quickly. Sure, we look to keep possession but gone are the regular thirty or so pass moves it often appeared to take to get the ball in the opposition half before the ball promptly, as part of the same move, came back to the defenders and keeper.

There are other positives like him not being afraid to make tactical substitutions and to give instructions from the touchline. Furthermore, one of my personal preferences is for Arsenal managers to look smart during matches. Emery wears a suit and tie. Compare him to Chelsea's new boss. He's doing a splendid job but despite earning millions looks like he lives in a cardboard box down the Embankment tube station. In short, to date I'm very happy with Emery.

Post #491306  Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:47 pm 

Decaf wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

Yes, you don't know how petty Wenger is. In fact you have no information whatsoever on that point. What passes for you 'imagination' is concocting this driveling and unseemly speculation. There has been absolution nothing objectionable in his conduct since he left. So could you (and Babu and the others) show just a tiny bit of generosity here?

2 points:

1. Agree with you Decaf

2. Won't matter as AG won't be reading this will he. (Cause he's a bit of a knob, and does absolutely nothing to change my rather blinkered opinion of most Americans as being the most self-unaware, ignorant, arrogant, loud, and frankly thick peoples on earth.)

Post #491307  Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:18 pm 

warrior wrote:
warrior wrote:
Test Message ...

oh no, the forum will crasssssssh after 12 game streak next weekend

Post #491308  Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:19 pm 

john1 wrote:
Decaf wrote:

2 points:

1. Agree with you Decaf

2. Won't matter as AG won't be reading this will he. (Cause he's a bit of a knob, and does absolutely nothing to change my rather blinkered opinion of most Americans as being the most self-unaware, ignorant, arrogant, loud, and frankly thick peoples on earth.)

It's probably grossly unfair, and of course we all know some nice yanks, but ...

Post #491309  Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:22 pm 

What a brilliant match. I think that some forget that other teams are also able to do research and play out tactical plans against us. Leiester had done their homework. Unlike recent years, our manager actually changed our tactics to overcome it. Faster in attack, better pressing in defence, switched the front 3 to provide better coverage. Players that wanted it. Watching so many of the same players that Wenger had but a completely different team. Both the 2nd and the 3rd goals just sublime. A joy to watch.

Post #491310  Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:37 pm 

gooner7 wrote:

We're doing very well. Who would have ever expected these results at the start of the season?

Post #491311  Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:41 pm 

Decaf wrote:
john1 wrote:

2 points:

1. Agree with you Decaf

It's probably grossly unfair, and of course we all know some nice yanks, but ...

After the thousandth link post I had to do the block thing for the first time ever so that I don't have to scroll past it. Made a huge difference to my enjoyment of reading the forum. :)

Post #491312  Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:45 pm 

Babu III wrote:
john1 wrote:

2 points:

1. Agree with you Decaf

This will kill 3 birds with 2 stones. Maybe 4.
I don't like ..... etc etc etc ad nauseam

Yawn.

Post #491313  Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:12 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
...I really do wonder if Wenger is happy to see Arsenal winning. I really don't know how petty he is. I hope he isn't but if I heard he was a bit jealous I wouldn't be shocked...
Dear oh dear. Please leave it to the supporters of other clubs to stick the knife into our heroes!

No worries omoh, Wenger is fully deserving of his statue and place in Arsenal history. He was forced out though after 22 years and lesser men have become embittered under similar circumstances. That's all.

Post #491314  Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:28 pm 

I hope the club doesn't fall for this 'are Arsenal title contenders' mindset. It's back page boredom perhaps. We are not. Not right now. It's very possible we could be but its a bridge too far at this stage of the season and our development. We simply don't have the defense to even consider that. The title right now, despite what the table says is between City and Liverpool, and the rest of us going for 3rd and 4th. The aforementioned have shown more title performing form than the others.

That said, the next 3 matches are completely winnable given where we are but I think we can forgive the squad if they draw at Palace simply because of fatigue of having to play too many matches in too few days and traveling.

The big test is Liverpool. Unfortunately it will come from a series of matches being played without a lot of rest. What also kinda irks me is that we have to play sperz and Man Utd very close to each other. We never seem to get much rest before playing Man Utd and forgive me if I think its some great conspiracy.

Post #491315  Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:09 pm 

john1 wrote:
Decaf wrote:

2 points:

1. Agree with you Decaf

Point 2 reminded me of several scenes from the movie “In Bruges” about Americans

If you haven’t seen it worth a watch.

Post #491316  Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:29 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Hazuki wrote:

I agree with Hazuki on this. Xhaka was playing well even before Torreira got into the side. For me there are a number of positives about Emery's influence so far, and a general improvement of various players already at the club is one of them. Xhaka is one of a number of quite blatant examples. Others include Bellerin, Iwobi and Čech (I went to a talk and Q&A by Charlie George last week who, speaking as a lifelong fan, feels Čech is arguably our player of the season so far even though Leno has been so good he thinks Čech will face a struggle to get back in the team). Also there's Lacazette and, I have to say, Mustafi who I believe has had a fine season.

Anther factor that I believe reflects well on Emery is the new signings, without exception, look good. Guendouzi, Torreira and Leno have all been outstanding. Sokratis has been very impressive and even Lichtsteiner, perhaps the least exciting of the new arrivals, has done well when he's played. Another change I welcome is a willingness to get the ball forward more quickly. Sure, we look to keep possession but gone are the regular thirty or so pass moves it often appeared to take to get the ball in the opposition half before the ball promptly, as part of the same move, came back to the defenders and keeper.

There are other positives like him not being afraid to make tactical substitutions and to give instructions from the touchline. Furthermore, one of my personal preferences is for Arsenal managers to look smart during matches. Emery wears a suit and tie. Compare him to Chelsea's new boss. He's doing a splendid job but despite earning millions looks like he lives in a cardboard box down the Embankment tube station. In short, to date I'm very happy with Emery.

Yes. Sarri does wear theatre blues (scrubs) quite well. :angel8:

Attachments:
medical-scrubs.jpg
medical-scrubs.jpg [ 15.1 KB | Viewed 2258 times ]
images-3.jpg
images-3.jpg [ 10.25 KB | Viewed 2300 times ]

Post #491317  Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:30 pm 

Hoping Juve put their foot on Man Utd's neck.

Post #491318  Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:32 pm 

Babu III wrote:
john1 wrote:

2 points:

1. Agree with you Decaf

This will kill 3 birds with 2 stones. Maybe 4.
I don't like the Welsh. Or scousers.
Or the British in general, really.
Because they are
Quote:
the most self-unaware, ignorant, arrogant, loud, and frankly thick peoples on earth

I'll qualify it by saying when you're talking to "sports fans", because you are all, by definition, morons.

Any sport, any Nationality, all complete and utter morons.

I liked this Forum because there was more being talked about than just football - actually one of the dullest topics imaginable.
Especially with British/Arsenal fans, who are the most self-unaware, ignorant, arrogant, loud, and frankly thick peoples on earth.

For the last 50 years English football has stood still. 50 years. 1966 and all that! You people cheated your way to a World Cup Victory, and then...and then did nothing. Nothing! Because you are the most self-unaware, ignorant, arrogant, loud, and frankly thick peoples on earth.

You lot got fooled by a piece of broccoli. No alcohol, no chocolate, replace with broccoli.
That's all it took. And sell Anelka to Real and build the Academy.

But then the Board got greedy, and sold your Club to the highest bidder, who has now taken all of it away from you.
All of it! It's gone. And it won't come back. Not ever. You're supporting a franchise, that will eventually play in the European League.

You lot don't even understand the essence of it all
Josef Herberger wrote:
Das Runde muss ins Eckige

because you can't translate "Eckige"

See You Next Wednesday!

Ah. The master of self-awareness speaks, and the masses must listen.

Post #491319  Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:44 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Hoping Juve put their foot on Man Utd's neck.

One would hope they would take it further than that.

Post #491320  Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:44 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
john1 wrote:

2 points:

1. Agree with you Decaf

Point 2 reminded me of several scenes from the movie “In Bruges” about Americans

If you haven’t seen it worth a watch.

:58big-emoticons:

[ 571656 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12280, 12281, 12282, 12283, 12284, 12285, 12286 ... 14292  Next