Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:32 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 107 guests

Post #500961  Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:12 am 

socrates wrote:
We saw the very best and worst of Maitland-Niles tonight. Some longbusting runs forward and some great crosses in the first half but a second half littered with lapses in concentration and just a general lack of defensive awareness and nous.

AMN is not a natural right back. Not sure if he enjoys playing that role. I think he is more a right winger.

Post #500962  Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:04 am 

Yeah, it was my understanding he was put at RB out of necessity due to injuries (Bellerin, etc). It's a tough position to learn. Central defenders just focus on defending and positioning while full backs have to be both defenders and part of the attack. That takes years of training.

Post #500963  Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:25 am 

socrates wrote:
We played quite well at times tonight but one thing is absolutely clear, if we do not sign a LB and CB we are in for another season filled with the concession of comedy goals.

Mustafi and Chambers is a comedy pairing and we are an injury to Sokratis away from that.

Monreal's legs have gone and he has become a liability defensively whilst Kolasinac is simply not a LB.

I looked at highlights online. I could not make out Leno calling M-N as to his positioning. But the 2nd goal was an absolute disaster and similar to a number we have conceded in preseason and last season. I have no sense that any of them know what they are doing or supposed to be doing at the back. The worry I have is that this defence could totally collapse at any time. I think Ozzie Ardiles as manager proved that 5 forwards and a crap defence is a problem. I am very concerned that we urgently need central defenders and cover for Bellerin who must be ready to play immediately. Can’t see this happening and our season could be in strife right from the start.

Emery has made it clear that they need to start the season really well. I take that to mean only a win at Newcastle is acceptable. By then it will be too late for a trolley dash.

Post #500964  Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:05 am 

gooner7 wrote:
socrates wrote:
We saw the very best and worst of Maitland-Niles tonight. Some longbusting runs forward and some great crosses in the first half but a second half littered with lapses in concentration and just a general lack of defensive awareness and nous.

AMN is not a natural right back. Not sure if he enjoys playing that role. I think he is more a right winger.

Hi gooner,

You're right, he just doesn't have that defensive mindset and for all his pace and attacking verve and flair he just isn't a right back. His lapses in concentration and general lack of defensive awareness are an acute problem.

Post #500965  Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:10 am 

With the possibility of a new LB and CB this transfer window was shaping up to be an extraordinary one, however with those additions looking less likely by the day it could end up being a bit of an anti-climax.

I mean it's not like we are trying to replace a prime Sol Campbell and Ashley Cole here. If our scouting teams cannot identify better CBs and LBs than Mustafi, Chambers, Monreal and Kolasinac then that is a bit of a worry, even if it's just a stop-gap for the upcoming season.

Post #500966  Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:32 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Yeah, it was my understanding he was put at RB out of necessity due to injuries (Bellerin, etc). It's a tough position to learn. Central defenders just focus on defending and positioning while full backs have to be both defenders and part of the attack. That takes years of training.

No it doesn't. Boner.

Post #500967  Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:04 am 

Thought it was a decent run out yesterday, Barcelona away even in pre-season and with a lot of stars missing is about as skillful a team as you’ll face so it’s a good test. Some very encouraging performances, especially from our youngsters. Willock and Martinelli looks like real gems, and I thought Nelson had a good first half as well. Saka might be one for the future, but he’s too young to play any meaningful part this season. Have to say, from the very little we’ve seen of Ceballos, he looks absolute class, just something about his touch and vision that shows what a player he is.

We all know about our need for defensive reinforcements, and it sounds like the club is working on it. But as for yesterday, it has to be said that it was an absolute first class finish from Suarez. Very few, if any, players in the Premier League are capable of that. This is still the most exciting squad we’ve had in quite some time for me.

Post #500968  Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:13 am 

gooner7 wrote:
socrates wrote:

Is his position not CM?

Post #500969  Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:14 am 

Hazuki wrote:
We all know about our need for defensive reinforcements, and it sounds like the club is working on it. But as for yesterday, it has to be said that it was an absolute first class finish from Suarez. Very few, if any, players in the Premier League are capable of that. This is still the most exciting squad we’ve had in quite some time for me.

I didn’t watch a single second of the game. Am I right in assuming the Suarez who scored is the former Liverpool great, not the bloke we had on loan last season?

Post #500970  Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:20 am 

Bernard wrote:
I didn’t watch a single second of the game. Am I right in assuming the Suarez who scored is the former Liverpool great, not the bloke we had on loan last season?

Yes, I think they sold the one we had on loan.

Post #500971  Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:33 am 

Hazuki wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Did they? Wise decision.

Post #500972  Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:41 am 

Bernard wrote:
Hazuki wrote:

Did they? Wise decision.

Just checked, and he went to Celta Vigo for 16m euro. Probably a wise decision for all concerned parties, yes.

Post #500973  Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:45 am 

Hazuki wrote:
Thought it was a decent run out yesterday, Barcelona away even in pre-season and with a lot of stars missing is about as skillful a team as you’ll face so it’s a good test. Some very encouraging performances, especially from our youngsters. Willock and Martinelli looks like real gems, and I thought Nelson had a good first half as well. Saka might be one for the future, but he’s too young to play any meaningful part this season. Have to say, from the very little we’ve seen of Ceballos, he looks absolute class, just something about his touch and vision that shows what a player he is.

Hi Haz,

It was an encouraging performance, I was fearful of a bit of a drubbing.

Suarez's finish was topclass but how often do balls in behind or over the top of our CBs lead to attempts on goal. You could have driven a double-decker bus through the gap between Mustafi and Chambers. Not sure who was mostly to blame but neither covered themselves in glory and, frankly, neither are good enough at that level.

Solid links to defenders, other than Tierney, seem to have dried up and even Tierney seems to be a bit up-in-the-air.

Post #500974  Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:48 am 

How does everyone fancy our chances, assuming there are no shock last minute transfers by any team?

I would say we should be pushing for 3rd place, even without defensive signings. We were only 2 points off last year even after our late season collapse, and there’s no doubt we’ve improved a lot offensively on paper. Tottenham are probably favorites, they’ve kept their squad intact and added some quality. Chelsea is hard to see in the top 5, added nothing because of the transfer ban and lost their best player. United haven’t moved forward a lot. Maguire is an upgrade, although a ridiculously overpriced one. Pogba and Lukaku wants to leave, and from what I’ve seen they have no proper replacements lined up.

Top 4 is there for the taking the way I see it.

Post #500975  Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:25 am 

Hazuki wrote:
How does everyone fancy our chances, assuming there are no shock last minute transfers by any team?

I would say we should be pushing for 3rd place, even without defensive signings. We were only 2 points off last year even after our late season collapse, and there’s no doubt we’ve improved a lot offensively on paper. Tottenham are probably favorites, they’ve kept their squad intact and added some quality. Chelsea is hard to see in the top 5, added nothing because of the transfer ban and lost their best player. United haven’t moved forward a lot. Maguire is an upgrade, although a ridiculously overpriced one. Pogba and Lukaku wants to leave, and from what I’ve seen they have no proper replacements lined up.

Not as confident as you. How this defence gels will determine whether we finish in the top 4 or 6th I believe.. If we can’t get anyone in and we can’t get our defence together it could get pretty ugly. Even although we have a reasonably good attack, we rarely score a large number of goals and Chambers& the rest of the defence look like they could shift a lot of goals.

A lot of unknowns a week out from the start of the season.

Post #500976  Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:25 am 

Hazuki wrote:

If we make no more defensive signings then much depends on the impact Pépé has in his first season and to a lesser extent Ceballos. If one or both hit the ground running me may be able to simply outscore most teams despite our defensive frailties.

As I said the other day, at the moment it feels like we are where Liverpool were of a couple of seasons back......like the red arrows going forward but always likely to concede soft goals even against mediocre opposition because or defence is simply not good enough.

Unfortunately Maguire's price tag has not helped those in search of CBs.

That said it ought to help us with selling Mustafi or even Chambers.

All feels a bit too late now though for anything major to happen.

Post #500977  Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:28 am 

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Hey I’ve said before his only weakness is that he has little temperament and his decision making is appalling.

Physically he has all the right attributes and he has reasonable recovery pace but his problem has always been his brain farts, jumping in, lack of composure and poor decision making. Central defenders have to play with their head as much as their body and he has no head what so ever

Okay, I was being slightly tongue in cheek. But I do think some people go over the top about Mustafi. After his balls up against Palace at the Emirates last season, some idiot on Twitter wished cancer on him and his family. It was a massive error but Jesus wept, what type of person do you have to be to say something like that? About the worst I’ve seen here was Darren declaring his hatred of him. I thought that was unnecessary and well over the top. But it’s very mild compared to that stupid git on Twitter.

Stupid gits on Twitter. Almost everyone that's on there, vomits an opinion and thinks that anyone gives a toss about what they have to say.

Post #500978  Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:30 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Okay, I was being slightly tongue in cheek. But I do think some people go over the top about Mustafi. After his balls up against Palace at the Emirates last season, some idiot on Twitter wished cancer on him and his family. It was a massive error but Jesus wept, what type of person do you have to be to say something like that? About the worst I’ve seen here was Darren declaring his hatred of him. I thought that was unnecessary and well over the top. But it’s very mild compared to that stupid git on Twitter.

That type of hatred is ridiculous. I remember Paul Davis who was a favourite of mine was a target of the boo boys at one point.

But remember Darren is a level headed guy he means he hated Mustafi in a sporting sense

I remember when we lost the Europa final (we were all really expecting to lose anyway) people were on here telling Emery to *%^@ off. People these days are far more reactionary

... but that said it doesn’t make Mustafi any less shite :laughing7:

Doesn't mean Emery can coach all these new players either.

Post #500979  Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:34 am 

Hazuki wrote:

Yeah I think so too as long as we can stop the counter from defence out to the gaping holes on the left and right of .midfield then we'll ship 15 less goals easily.

Post #500980  Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:57 pm 

Hazuki wrote:

That’s pretty well how I see it. Tottenham are favourites for third, but I hope we’ll at the very least push them hard. As things stand, I’ll be disappointed if we don’t get fourth. I can see Chelsea without Hazard struggling for anything better than sixth, although I’m not at all convinced by Manchester United so fifth for Chelsea is not impossible by any stretch of the imagination.

But we all know how unpredictable football is. If it wasn’t we’d all make a fortune at the bookies.

Post #500981  Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:32 pm 

Harry Maguire completes record $97 million move to Manchester United.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/08/05/foot ... index.html

Post #500982  Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:41 pm 

Hazuki wrote:

As it was last season, Haz.

We did a world-class job of nausing that up.

Post #500983  Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:56 pm 

Saw this and immediately thought just what chance does Emery have...

https://youtu.be/-W-UuoSdkHo

Guardiola needed 200 million to ship out his older players sitting on contracts. Emery just can’t do that. The Xhakas of this world will still be here when Unai is gone.

As for Hazukis question of where will we finish?its a toughie. I think if we didn’t bring in anymore players it would very close to call if we would finish top 4, one injury to Papa and it goes tits up. Probably unlikely I would say and we will have to endure a season of people moaning on here that Emery is unable to get more out of Mustafi and Kolasinac by coaching !! :laughing7:

If we could get a decent centre half on loan and maybe Tierney then I would say we could be game on for top 4

Post #500984  Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:59 pm 

DHD wrote:
Hazuki wrote:

We did but if Aubameyangs pen against spurs goes in then we are back in the champions league. The line between success and failure is thin. If we had got back in the CL it would have been a terrific achievement from Emery considering the hand he was dealt.

Post #500985  Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:32 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
DHD wrote:

We did but if Aubameyangs pen against spurs goes in then we are back in the champions league. The line between success and failure is thin. If we had got back in the CL it would have been a terrific achievement from Emery considering the hand he was dealt.

True TG but you could balance that by considering if we'd lost at Watford, as our performance that day deserved.

Fact is we played like drains in April and May. For no obvious reason, our form just fell off a cliff.

Post #500986  Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:44 pm 

Xhaka should be nowhere near the first team now. The less we have to hear from him the better.

Post #500987  Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:48 pm 

tomc wrote:
Xhaka should be nowhere near the first team now.

That's our Captain you're talking about, Tom

Post #500988  Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:53 pm 

DHD wrote:
tomc wrote:
Xhaka should be nowhere near the first team now.

That's our Captain you're talking about, Tom

Laughable isn't it. 3 years at the club and you can count the number of good games he's had on one hand. Seriously winds me up that he is still in the team. A constant liability (see Brighton last season) and yet always one of the first to pipe up in the press about where we're going wrong. Playing *%^@ like you is where we're going wrong mate.

Post #500989  Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:27 pm 

His sole redeeming quality is that shot of his. And unless he's going to employ it a bit more, what else is there?

Post #500990  Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:01 pm 

Bild reporting we’ve offered £55m for RB Leipzig’s Upamecano.
If they refuse we should try to sweeten the deal with Smith-Rowe and others on loan as well.
I’m beyond caring about the transfer fee, we need a CB desperately

Post #500991  Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:20 pm 

Where are we getting all this money?

Post #500992  Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:46 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Where are we getting all this money?

We are loading ourselves on instalments in a way we haven’t before. Basically our future is a balloon with a strap on the end of it.

It was interesting to hear Ornstein talk about the Pépé transfer and how it came about. He basically said we over paid in short, other clubs were not going to get anywhere near our offer so the offers Bayern, United and co would have made wouldn’t have been as attractive to Pépé, his agents or his club. Said we paid 72 million but he’s probably worth something like 60. It’s debatable but was interesting to listen to.

Post #500993  Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:47 pm 

Rich wrote:
Bild reporting we’ve offered £55m for RB Leipzig’s Upamecano.
If they refuse we should try to sweeten the deal with Smith-Rowe and others on loan as well.
I’m beyond caring about the transfer fee, we need a CB desperately

If that’s the case then we will have to put up with a year of Monreal and Kolasinac. Going to be painful.

Post #500994  Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:58 pm 

Talksport said we’ve given Koscielny permission to speak to Bordeaux and Rennes. If true, it surely implies we’ve accepted their offers.

Post #500995  Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:22 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Talksport said we’ve given Koscielny permission to speak to Bordeaux and Rennes. If true, it surely implies we’ve accepted their offers.

And that there's a CB on the way in? I hope.

Post #500996  Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:03 pm 

Can't see us signing Upamecano. Too much money and too big a deal to do in the space of a couple of days. Deals like that take weeks to formalise.

Hope I'm wrong.

Post #500997  Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:27 pm 

Apparently we’ve been quoted £70m for Upamecano and £50m for Rugani. Those two would sort out our defence. Add in Tierney for £25m. Obviously dropping £145m on those 3 defenders is never going to happen but it makes you realise what a leg up City and Chelsea had, both have spent those sums of money regularly on players and can drop that in one summer to sort out a defence....as City did.
So for years and years we work within our means and just a financially doped £150m, maybe 1/10th of what City have spent could/would have us right back in business with the best in the league.

Post #500998  Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:28 pm 

With Juve signing de Ligt and also having Chiellini and Bonucci I think the most likely CB deal for us is Rugani, possibly on loan with an option/obligation to buy

Post #500999  Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:13 pm 

Given we have Liverpool away and Spurs at home in week 3&4 you have to look at the first two games away to Newcastle and home to Burnley as must win.
There will be such little room for error in the race for top 4

Post #501000  Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:30 pm 

The market for prem clubs is crazy. Teams are paying £15-20m for players who got relegated or have never even played at a higher level than the championship.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12522, 12523, 12524, 12525, 12526, 12527, 12528 ... 14269  Next