Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:38 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Googlebot and 93 guests

Post #557681  Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:15 am 

I can only hope that amidst what now seems a forlorn hope of signing Caicedo we have decent back-up plans because the loss of Elneny means we are down to Lokonga as the sole replacement CM, unless we play Zinchenko there.

Lokonga is not terrible but he is short on confidence and does not possess the defensive awareness of a DM.

Why do we seem to take so long pursuing our targets?.

Post #557682  Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:17 am 

Here's a thought. Move Ben White to DCM if god forbid Partey is out. I think he'd do very well and probably a quick study.

Post #557683  Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:19 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Here's a thought. Move Ben White to DCM if god forbid Partey is out. I think he'd do very well and probably a quick study.

Hi AG,

It would be a total gamble and a title chasing team should not be gambling on a RB/CB being able to slot in as a DM.

Post #557684  Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:20 am 

Is it my understanding that even if we sign Caicedo we're still going for Declean Rice in the summer?

Post #557685  Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:23 am 

We're linked to the new Mbappe.

Post #557686  Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:24 am 

socrates wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

Hi AG,

It would be a total gamble and a title chasing team should not be gambling on a RB/CB being able to slot in as a DM.

Okay, he seems able to but I get it that its a risk. Seemingly too big of a gamble.

Post #557687  Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:25 am 

Spurs deal for Porro is off at the last minute. Sporting Lisbon did them a bit dirty there after reneging on the terms of the deal as reported by Ornstein.

Post #557688  Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:32 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
socrates wrote:

Hi AG,

Okay, he seems able to but I get it that its a risk. Seemingly too big of a gamble.

I understand the logic and maybe its something you might try in a Carabao Cup game or a friendly but nobody has a clue how he would do in that role.

Zinchenko does play in central midfield for the Ukraine so he would be an option but then you lose him as an inverted LB.

Post #557689  Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:36 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:

Another totally nuts suggestion. I still remember when people were suggesting we play chambers there and when wenger finally did it at st Mary’s once the saints midfield literally ran rings round him and we got thrashed.

Surely the obvious player to try and shoehorn into the role would be zinchenko. He’s spending most of his time in midfield anyway.

Only problem is to play in the middle of the park you need strength and to play on the half turn and zinny is mobile but I’d guess it’s a little lightweight

Post #557690  Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:12 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

Another totally nuts suggestion. I still remember when people were suggesting we play chambers there and when wenger finally did it at st Mary’s once the saints midfield literally ran rings round him and we got thrashed.

Surely the obvious player to try and shoehorn into the role would be zinchenko. He’s spending most of his time in midfield anyway.

Only problem is to play in the middle of the park you need strength and to play on the half turn and zinny is mobile but I’d guess it’s a little lightweight

No its not a totally nuts thought. I am not sure it would work but at least it would not harm the backs as White has a good replacement. Zinc would be a loss and disruption if he was moved. Could Tierney try defensive midfielder? I simply don't know. We should have been looking at cover for this position, but it is not a position easily replicated by other players (how Arteta wants it played) so I do understand why we are struggling for cover in the area.

Post #557691  Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:29 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

No its not a totally nuts thought. I am not sure it would work but at least it would not harm the backs as White has a good replacement. Zinc would be a loss and disruption if he was moved. Could Tierney try defensive midfielder? I simply don't know. We should have been looking at cover for this position, but it is not a position easily replicated by other players (how Arteta wants it played) so I do understand why we are struggling for cover in the area.

It is nuts. You are unsettling moving your right back who has never played in midfield instead of your left back who has. Both have competent replacements and ben white whilst having a solid range of passing can’t play on the half turn. Even lokonga is a better option.

It’s just a total non starter and will never happen.

Post #557692  Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:12 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

It is nuts. You are unsettling moving your right back who has never played in midfield instead of your left back who has. Both have competent replacements and ben white whilst having a solid range of passing can’t play on the half turn. Even lokonga is a better option.

The only part of your argument I am doubtful about is that Lokonga is better. If he is that is fantastic.

If not, and we don't get someone, we are into nuts territory.

Post #557693  Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:21 am 

Decaf wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

The only part of your argument I am doubtful about is that Lokonga is better. If he is that is fantastic.

If not, and we don't get someone, we are into nuts territory.

Just to clarify. I don't think Lokonga is bad, just that he is not a Partey backup. I don't think many players could do what Partey does for us.

Post #557694  Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:53 am 

If or when we are up comfortably against Everton and hopefully as early as possible we might start thinking of subbing Partey off since he is integral to a title run in.

This also depends on what f we pick up someone by tomorrow.

Post #557695  Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:01 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
If or when we are up comfortably against Everton and hopefully as early as possible we might start thinking of subbing Partey off since he is integral to a title run in.

Two questions
1) What is 'comfortably'?

Even 3-0 doesn't feel comfortable these days, as we saw in the Brighton game.

2) Who do you bring on and how do you adjust the formation?

Post #557696  Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:50 pm 

I'm a bit fearful about Marquinhos's loan to Norwich. The Championship is a brutal league, very demanding both physically and mentally with lots of teams all capable of beating each other. Every game is a tough, tough test.

If Norwich fans are expecting a sexy Brazilian winger, full of tricks and flair then I think they will be a tad disappointed. From what he's shown so far he's more of a wide midfielder than an out and out winger. Lovely touch and weight of pass/cross but not really a dribbler who goes past a fullback.

I hope I am wrong but I'm not sure he's ready for such a tough loan, maybe somewhere in France or Portugal would have been better. He's not really been exposed to the rough and tumble of what Championship football will bring so I think he might struggle for game time.

That said, I hope I am completey wrong on this and that it proves to be an inspired loan and he lights up the league. Norwich play good football so hopefully he can adjust quickly.

Post #557697  Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:10 pm 

City loaning out Canceles to Bayern.

Very surprising and very odd timing.

Post #557698  Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:52 pm 

God, I hate Man UTD

https://youtube.com/shorts/bySWQxCc8-8?feature=share

Post #557699  Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:52 pm 

Decaf wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

Two questions
1) What is 'comfortably'?

Even 3-0 doesn't feel comfortable these days, as we saw in the Brighton game.

2) Who do you bring on and how do you adjust the formation?

I still have memories seared in about being 4-0 up in the second half at Newcastle United.

Or how about 2 up vs Tottenham at 90 minutes (Harry Rednapp’s second game there).
Or comfortably ahead at half time at Aston Villa before a parachutist did himself serous damage at half time.

Lot’s of examples to underpin my many anxious moments even when ‘plain sailing’.

Post #557700  Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:56 pm 

socrates wrote:
I'm a bit fearful about Marquinhos's loan to Norwich. The Championship is a brutal league, very demanding both physically and mentally with lots of teams all capable of beating each other. Every game is a tough, tough test.

If Norwich fans are expecting a sexy Brazilian winger, full of tricks and flair then I think they will be a tad disappointed. From what he's shown so far he's more of a wide midfielder than an out and out winger. Lovely touch and weight of pass/cross but not really a dribbler who goes past a fullback.

I hope I am wrong but I'm not sure he's ready for such a tough loan, maybe somewhere in France or Portugal would have been better. He's not really been exposed to the rough and tumble of what Championship football will bring so I think he might struggle for game time.

That said, I hope I am completey wrong on this and that it proves to be an inspired loan and he lights up the league. Norwich play good football so hopefully he can adjust quickly.

Charlie Patino is learning his trade there in that division, and doing okay. The fans at Blackpool regard him well - a bit like Palace fans did with Ashley Cole and Brentford fans did with Szczesny.

Post #557701  Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:40 pm 

Given the opportunity we have, given our over-reliance on Partey and his long history of injuries and given Elneny's latest injury woes it really is inconceivable that we could end the transfer window without having stengthened in that area and yet with a day to go we find ourselves in that position.

Post #557702  Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:43 pm 

long time gooner wrote:
socrates wrote:

Charlie Patino is learning his trade there in that division, and doing okay. The fans at Blackpool regard him well - a bit like Palace fans did with Ashley Cole and Brentford fans did with Szczesny.

Hi ltg,

You are right, Patino has done extremely well.

As I said, I hope I am wrong and Marquinhos turns on the style big time at Norwich. I'm just basing my thoughts on what I've seen from him so far, his lack of experience of english football and the type of player he is.

Post #557703  Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:17 pm 

socrates wrote:

Not si sure about that analysis. The Brazilian league can be quite physical as can other top leagues. These days there are a myriad of different nationalities in all kinds of leagues so I'd say he will be physically fine at Norwich.

Post #557704  Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:09 pm 

Update on caicedo

He’s either likely or unlikely to sign for us tomorrow. We made an imaginary bid earlier today for 70 million that’s been denied as Brighton want 80 million but will likely reject that too. He’s super keen to join Arsenal as well as any other club under the sun.

Video explanation https://youtu.be/gYF5C3uvM18

Post #557705  Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:20 pm 

Cancelo on loan to Bayern is not one I saw coming. Very versatile player for City but obviously a falling out has happened. This is all good news for us.

Enzo Fernandes looks like Chelsea’s last big deal this window, close to £120m

Some positive progress it seems on the Caicedo chase, Arsenal not leaving the table…. But it does seem we’re putting all our eggs in this basket which is a worry

Everton are looking to spend their Gordon money (£45m) on Gallagher from Chelsea. Not sure why Gallagher would go there right now. It helps chelsea cook their books though as they would bank the full £40-45m for accounting purpose and it would allow £280m of signings on 7 year deals to balance out that expenditure for this year….they’d have to make the same £40m sale each year but it shows how the long contracts can be used to manipulate FFP

Post #557706  Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:54 pm 

Jorginho from Chelsea as an alternative is being mooted

Post #557707  Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:30 pm 

I’d rather watch Dave Lee travis play Macbeth than sign another chelsea player but it might not be the worst idea.

It doesn’t hurt our attempts to sign caicedo the fact we are being linked publicly to other players now.

Don’t get or believe the onana links though. Why would Everton sell us their best player this season for just a 10 million profit when they are in the middle of a relegation battle

Post #557708  Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:09 pm 

Man U have been drawn at home in 13 of the last 14 domestic cup draws

Post #557709  Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:04 pm 

Brighton are free to reject or accept any bid they want but one way of looking at this is Brighton are able to get these players and are an attractive option for these players because they get a) playing time, b) prem league exposure and crucially, c) an unwritten promise that they will be allowed to move on to bigger things.

If Brighton are seen to block the moves for their players (which is completely their right) then maybe up and coming players might start to look elsewhere

Post #557710  Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:31 pm 

Rich wrote:

Big NO from me
Have we not learnt our lesson with Willian???

Post #557711  Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:50 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Zed wrote:
This from Fabrizio Romano, then taken down. Questionable to say they least.

Surely fakes. This nonsense is never ending

Only believe it when I see it. Straight from Arsenal.

Post #557712  Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:40 am 

Wow. 3 years already?

Attachments:

Post #557713  Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:30 am 

Since Xhaka is playing a bit more of an advanced position than he was previously, he's got better looks at goal. I'd love to see him try more shots from distance to keep the defense honest. I can picture Nketiah putting any rebounds in.

Post #557714  Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:31 am 

If (and I haven't seen anything so far but it could very well happen) we don't bring anyone else in, what do you think of our chances of getting the title?

Post #557715  Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:17 am 

Rich wrote:
Brighton are free to reject or accept any bid they want but one way of looking at this is Brighton are able to get these players and are an attractive option for these players because they get a) playing time, b) prem league exposure and crucially, c) an unwritten promise that they will be allowed to move on to bigger things.

If Brighton are seen to block the moves for their players (which is completely their right) then maybe up and coming players might start to look elsewhere

I think c would be include "at a time and in a manner that is not unreasonably detrimental for the club". That often is not the case in the January window. Clubs have to be able to say 'no'. Players agitating for moves on social media is a major problem too. You can see why a club would want to make a point about this.

Post #557716  Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:25 am 

I thought the only real concern from the City cup game was how well Ake dealt with Saka. He was excellent and kept Saka quieter than any full back I’ve seen this season. I’d expect the same match up in the league games. Having Ødegaard out there with Saka will help though.

Post #557717  Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:25 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
If (and I haven't seen anything so far but it could very well happen) we don't bring anyone else in, what do you think of our chances of getting the title?

0.5-X^aY^b

where X is the odds of Partey getting an injury and Y is the severity of the injury measured in number of league games missed, and a and b are parameters

Post #557718  Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:26 am 

Decaf wrote:
Rich wrote:

I think c would be include "at a time and in a manner that is not unreasonably detrimental for the club". That often is not the case in the January window. Clubs have to be able to say 'no'. Players agitating for moves on social media is a major problem too. You can see why a club would want to make a point about this.

Agreed, I don’t blame Brighton for digging their heels in, particularly as this might be one of the times they don’t have a ready made replacement imbedded in the squad already.

Post #557719  Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:29 am 

david.d wrote:
Rich wrote:

Big NO from me
Have we not learnt our lesson with Willian???

Wouldn’t be my choice. But I would take him as a last ditch thing if it was only on a 5 month deal. I don’t want him long term. I could see situations in some games where he could be useful. Arteta supposedly wanted him back in his first season, as did Pep at one point.

Post #557720  Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:34 am 

Rich wrote:
I thought the only real concern from the City cup game was how well Ake dealt with Saka. He was excellent and kept Saka quieter than any full back I’ve seen this season. I’d expect the same match up in the league games. Having Ødegaard out there with Saka will help though.

That, and the fact that Saka is a big game player. My impression is that his weaker games have been against lesser opposition or in the cups. World cup quarterfinals, and top 6 opposition in the league what makes him tick. He'll be up for this one.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13940, 13941, 13942, 13943, 13944, 13945, 13946 ... 14269  Next