Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:09 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 97 guests

Post #476121  Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:33 pm 

Doncaster have been the better side second half. Arsenal woeful

One of the worst ref decisions you'll see, clean Doncaster header from a corner, loops up and flicks the bar and goes over, ospina a good foot at least away from it and the ref gives a corner. Just bizarre

Post #476122  Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:34 pm 

Goonie wrote:
Struggling at home against Doncaster. Amazing.

I'm only following this on Sky updates but it sounds as if we are at our arrogant worst.

Post #476123  Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:49 pm 

dec wrote:
Goonie wrote:
Struggling at home against Doncaster. Amazing.

I'm only following this on Sky updates but it sounds as if we are at our arrogant worst.

We tried some tricks and flicks but maybe our players ran a bit out of steam? Lacking match fitness, I hope, rather than underestimating the opponents...

Positives:
- I like Wilshere's Ljungberg look.
- Walcott is a good poacher and should be a decent cover for Lacazette.
- Sanchez should be ready to re-join the first 11.

Post #476124  Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:51 pm 

Rich wrote:

Really? We basically stopped trying to win and gave them far far to much encouragement in the words of the commentator, but they were like a pub team. An actual pub team. Shows how badly we performed. Bit of a circumspect performance from Nelson. Maybe just getting minutes under his belt and finding his feet. Hope so. Encouraging 90 minutes from Wilshere and interesting to see him the only player really on Sanchez's wavelength before the Chilean disappeared up his own arse. And how bad was the final ball from Iwobi! Head in hands stuff.

Post #476125  Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:06 pm 

John wrote:
Daz wrote:

Disagree here, John, as Mayo would have had a free and could have gone two clear. A lot I feel would have depended on Cluxton's kickouts but he definitely appeared to be finding his feet after a wobbly start.

They would have been level scores and had the extra man for the remainder of the game. But it doesn't matter, the name checking of Cluxton in your post is a memorable moment in this forums history.

I haven't been able to watch the Gaelic football since the outrageous award of the final to Dublin in 1894. Knew it was fixed then.
Six final defeats in 13 years for Mayo and the last two by a point. So unlucky.

Post #476126  Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:09 pm 

Darren wrote:
Daz wrote:

And the last record you bought was Eden by EBTG...

I never quite got EBTG.

My favourite current track is this one.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e38KoYlHDTA[/youtube]

Album out this Friday. Liked "Skying" so hopefully there'll be a few good tunes on this one too...

Post #476127  Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:11 pm 

Goonie wrote:
dec wrote:

We tried some tricks and flicks but maybe our players ran a bit out of steam? Lacking match fitness, I hope, rather than underestimating the opponents...

Positives:

He did look just like Freddie....without the goals though.

Post #476128  Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:13 pm 

Ash wrote:
Rich wrote:

Really? We basically stopped trying to win and gave them far far to much encouragement in the words of the commentator, but they were like a pub team. An actual pub team. Shows how badly we performed. Bit of a circumspect performance from Nelson. Maybe just getting minutes under his belt and finding his feet. Hope so. Encouraging 90 minutes from Wilshere and interesting to see him the only player really on Sanchez's wavelength before the Chilean disappeared up his own arse. And how bad was the final ball from Iwobi! Head in hands stuff.

Someone needs to have a word about pulling those shorts up. Embarrassing. Especially when you then hit row z with the free kick.

Post #476129  Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:14 pm 

Rich wrote:
Oh my! Giroud hits the bar with an incredible acrobatic scissor kick. Would have been his best goal for us

Better than the scorpion kick???

Post #476130  Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:24 pm 

Norwich at home next round.

Post #476131  Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:37 pm 

Niall wrote:
Rich wrote:
Oh my! Giroud hits the bar with an incredible acrobatic scissor kick. Would have been his best goal for us

Better than the scorpion kick???

I think it would have been because the scorpion kick relies on a huge slice of luck.

Post #476132  Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:38 pm 

Niall wrote:
Ash wrote:

Someone needs to have a word about pulling those shorts up. Embarrassing. Especially when you then hit row z with the free kick.

Are we swooning at his legs, is that it? Or maybe he thinks it makes him look taller? Or just a trademark, like a latter day cantona upturned collar? And he's gone in 10 months. So odd.

Post #476133  Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:47 pm 

Too many square pegs in round holes. The lack of decent cover in the wing back positions is worrying should anything happen to Bellerin or Kolasinac.
Thought Wilshere was our best player.
If the second 11 don't have the personnel to play 3 at the back why force it?

Post #476134  Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:00 pm 

Real Betis beat Real Madrid with a goal late in injury time at the Bernabeau. Lovely goal to finish an excellent passing move. No parking the bus and hacking it clear nonsense.

Also, it's the first time in 73 games that Madrid have failed to score. That is some run.

Post #476135  Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:38 pm 

Napoli playing really well in Italy. I think they might be the next team who put a good squad together that ends up getting decimated by the wealthier clubs. Quite a few very good players at Napoli

Post #476136  Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:04 am 

Rich wrote:
Too many square pegs in round holes. The lack of decent cover in the wing back positions is worrying should anything happen to Bellerin or Kolasinac.

Monreal is more than decent at left wingback. With Ox gone perhaps Wenger will experiment with Iwobi and right wingback?

Post #476137  Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:35 am 

A win is a win. I thought the scoreline would be a bigger margin but in fairness, its hard to get motivated for a midweek league cup match against Doncaster.

Post #476138  Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:34 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
A win is a win. I thought the scoreline would be a bigger margin but in fairness, its hard to get motivated for a midweek league cup match against Doncaster.

Well given the money some of these players earn they should be f...en motivated whether they are playing Real Madrid or Doncaster. I note from a number of podcasts that our 0-0 draw has signaled the resurrection of the club. Will people never learn. If any of them had watched Chelsea recently they would have realised they have not been playing well. A number of posters on here mentioned this last week. I was happy with the draw but let us wait a while before buying our EPL champions t-shirts.

Post #476139  Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:00 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

Well given the money some of these players earn they should be f...en motivated whether they are playing Real Madrid or Doncaster. I note from a number of podcasts that our 0-0 draw has signaled the resurrection of the club. Will people never learn. If any of them had watched Chelsea recently they would have realised they have not been playing well. A number of posters on here mentioned this last week. I was happy with the draw but let us wait a while before buying our EPL champions t-shirts.

Echo that last point - we're not Tottenham

Post #476140  Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:35 am 

Apparently the official attendance for last night's game was 44,064 based, as always, on tickets sold or issued rather than people inside the ground. It's the lowest gate so far for a competitive Arsenal game at the Emirates. At least it's over twenty thousand (20,138) more than the 23,926 Tottenham got for their game against Barnsley.

Post #476141  Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:35 am 

Goonie wrote:
Rich wrote:

Monreal is more than decent at left wingback. With Ox gone perhaps Wenger will experiment with Iwobi and right wingback?

I hope not! Yes Monreal is a fine left wing back but then we're in to that age-old wenger problem of false squad strength because you are counting Monreal twice. Kolasinac gets injured so Monreal steps in and there is no loss of quality at LWB, but now the centre of defence is creaking.

Just looking at numbers of players this squad is missing a RB/RWB and a CB. (that's assuming Debuchy is a complete write off) In terms of balance the squad is also missing a dynamic, powerful central midfielder.

Post #476142  Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:58 am 

Rich wrote:
Goonie wrote:

I hope not! Yes Monreal is a fine left wing back but then we're in to that age-old wenger problem of false squad strength because you are counting Monreal twice. Kolasinac gets injured so Monreal steps in and there is no loss of quality at LWB, but now the centre of defence is creaking.

Just looking at numbers of players this squad is missing a RB/RWB and a CB. (that's assuming Debuchy is a complete write off) In terms of balance the squad is also missing a dynamic, powerful central midfielder.

For me the first choice central defence in a three at the back formation should currently be Koscielny, Mertesacker and Mustafi. I think Monreal and Bellerin could be the wing backs in that formation, with Kolasinac adding some of the power we're missing further forward.

I felt Nelson, at only 17 so unsurprisingly, showed he's not yet ready for regular first team action in the league. Maitland-Niles again showed he's pretty decent, maybe even a bit better on a good day. But without writing him off I will be surprised if he'll ever be an automatic first team regular, unless we decline still further (which with two more years of Wenger isn't impossible).

The latest rumours suggest Mourinho intends getting Sanchez at Manchester United. I still think we should have sold him to City for the £60m, despite not getting Lemar. Going forward, City barely need him anyway but I think he'd be a far better or more important signing for United. If he does go there on a free transfer, I think it'll be worse than losing van Persie to them. At least we got what at the time was a decent transfer fee for him. Wherever Sanchez goes next summer (unless we can flog him for a few bob in January), we'll lose him for nothing.

Post #476143  Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:05 am 

Niall wrote:
Goonie wrote:

Positives:

Well, every single person on this forum agrees that Ljungberg was an Arsenal legend so if Wilshere is trying to emulate him its no bad thing.

Post #476144  Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:03 am 

socrates wrote:
Well, every single person on this forum agrees that Ljungberg was an Arsenal legend so if Wilshere is trying to emulate him its no bad thing.

Although remember, being a legend may not necessarily say anything positive about how good a player someone was. After all, some consider Gus Caesar an Arsenal legend.

Post #476145  Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:30 pm 

socrates wrote:
Niall wrote:

No real Arsenal fan wouldn't see Freddie as a legend. :icon_mrgreen:

Post #476146  Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:02 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
socrates wrote:

If that was a dig at me, I've said in the past that I see Ljungberg as a legend even though I consider him somewhat over-rated as a player by some Arsenal fans.

You really are a bit of a prat, aren't you.

Post #476147  Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:26 pm 

Bernard wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

If that was a dig at me, I've said in the past that I see Ljungberg as a legend even though I consider him somewhat over-rated as a player by some Arsenal fans.

You really are a bit of a prat, aren't you.

He seems to be implying he's somehow more of a 'real Arsenal fan' than you Bernard. Since you've been going for donkeys years and he stuck a pin in a sheet a few years ago that analysis is laughable at best. What a prat indeed.

Post #476148  Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:22 pm 

Actually his nonsensical question with it's double negatives is spot on.

Basically what he's saying is that a Spurs, Chelsea, Hammers fan would not see Freddie as a legend. The prick was stating the obvious, but we all knew what he meant :7laughter:

Post #476149  Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:51 pm 

The numbers are in and the number of people watching NFL games have been declining significantly the last few years. The opening games this season drew the lowest numbers for several years.
What does this have to do with The Arsenal? My fear is that the Kroenke owned Rams may not make as much money in the next few years and he may look at us a bit more closely for revenue.

The Los Angeles Rams project is huge. Its a huge financial bet. Los Angelenos are known to be fickle (Hollywood, go figure?..lol).

Anyway, could have no effect on us as well. I'd love for Kroenke to consider selling but he's known for holding assets.

Post #476150  Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:54 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
The numbers are in and the number of people watching NFL games have been declining significantly the last few years. The opening games this season drew the lowest numbers for several years.
What does this have to do with The Arsenal? My fear is that the Kroenke owned Rams may not make as much money in the next few years and he may look at us a bit more closely for revenue.

The Los Angeles Rams project is huge. Its a huge financial bet. Los Angelenos are known to be fickle (Hollywood, go figure?..lol).

Anyway, could have no effect on us as well. I'd love for Kroenke to consider selling but he's known for holding assets.

Well Rams have been losing many of their games recently. Only exception was the Colts, which was pre-season, I think. Doesn't matter, they still lost. They play San Francisco 49ers tonight. Hilarious if they lose that as well. Trying to see a parallel here between Rams and Arsenal. Especially games lost as opposed to those won. Looking for a similar pattern as it were. Not sure who the big rivals are for Rams, but it could be similar to them losing to big teams as opposed to beating lesser sides, if only periodically. If Arsenal show similar results repeatedly or repetitively, it won't be pleasant.

Post #476151  Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:34 am 

They haven't had a winning season since 2002 and since then has won half their games once, the rest were losing seasons. To be fair, they aren't going to turn the team around in one season. It will be a process. The NFL and the Rams are looking for LA fans to take to the team and show up and also for tv viewers to watch them.

Seattle are the class of their 4 team division (NFC west) having won the division 3 of the last 4 years and 2nd in the season they haven't which still took them into the playoffs.

Seattle was toying with the idea of moving to LA a few years ago. I would imagine the first goal of the Rams is a winning record. Win more than they lose.

The money situation is what is worrying the NFL. Viewership was trending down for a few years. Largely because the millennials just aren't taking to football as previous generations. Playstation and other pursuits have taken up males 18 to 36 time. Its also hurting overall tv viewership.

Just like with The Arsenal and other clubs, the cost of attending games has become exorbitant. I have a very close friend in LA who moved there from San Diego about 9 years ago. The San Diego team has moved to LA and he posted this on his social media. Parking is $100!!
http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/09/parking ... lphins-nfl

What has made things worse is there was a huge player controversy over a year ago when a black player refused to stand for the national anthem in protest to the plethora of unarmed blacks being shot by police. And the alt right went on a massive viral campaign to boycott the league and since then Colin Kaepernick the player who started has been blackballed (no pun intended) by the owners. Not officially but its clearly he is because they are hiring players for his position that wouldn't make a university team. To be fair he's good to enough to start for half the league and be clearly second choice for the half he wouldn't start for.

Now many blacks are boycotting watching the league. NFL hires him one group boycotts, they don't another group does now other black players have joined the kneeling during the pledge incident in support of Kaepernick (the league is over 70 percent black) so now BOTH groups are boycotting the games. lol (laughing at the clusterf*ck, NOT the reason for the protests).

So, a bad situation has been made worse. If the Rams lose money, I'm wondering what Kroenke will do. There are still plenty of people who will buy an NFL team. Its the ultimate toy for a billionaire. Only 30 can have one. A very select club. Kroenke isn't driven by that though, he's all about the money. If he's losing money, will he siphon off money from us?

Post #476152  Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:39 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
They haven't had a winning season since 2002 and since then has won half their games once, the rest were losing seasons. To be fair, they aren't going to turn the team around in one season. It will be a process. The NFL and the Rams are looking for LA fans to take to the team and show up and also for tv viewers to watch them.

Seattle are the class of their 4 team division (NFC west) having won the division 3 of the last 4 years and 2nd in the season they haven't which still took them into the playoffs.

Seattle was toying with the idea of moving to LA a few years ago. I would imagine the first goal of the Rams is a winning record. Win more than they lose.

The money situation is what is worrying the NFL. Viewership was trending down for a few years. Largely because the millennials just aren't taking to football as previous generations. Playstation and other pursuits have taken up males 18 to 36 time. Its also hurting overall tv viewership.

Just like with The Arsenal and other clubs, the cost of attending games has become exorbitant. I have a very close friend in LA who moved there from San Diego about 9 years ago. The San Diego team has moved to LA and he posted this on his social media. Parking is $100!!
http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/09/parking ... lphins-nfl

What has made things worse is there was a huge player controversy over a year ago when a black player refused to stand for the national anthem in protest to the plethora of unarmed blacks being shot by police. And the alt right went on a massive viral campaign to boycott the league and since then Colin Kaepernick the player who started has been blackballed (no pun intended) by the owners. Not officially but its clearly he is because they are hiring players for his position that wouldn't make a university team. To be fair he's good to enough to start for half the league and be clearly second choice for the half he wouldn't start for.

Now many blacks are boycotting watching the league. NFL hires him one group boycotts, they don't another group does now other black players have joined the kneeling during the pledge incident in support of Kaepernick (the league is over 70 percent black) so now BOTH groups are boycotting the games. lol (laughing at the clusterf*ck, NOT the reason for the protests).

So, a bad situation has been made worse. If the Rams lose money, I'm wondering what Kroenke will do. There are still plenty of people who will buy an NFL team. Its the ultimate toy for a billionaire. Only 30 can have one. A very select club. Kroenke isn't driven by that though, he's all about the money. If he's losing money, will he siphon off money from us?

All I can say - great country you have there.

Post #476153  Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:47 am 

Bernard wrote:

For me the first choice central defence in a three at the back formation should currently be Koscielny, Mertesacker and Mustafi. I think Monreal and Bellerin could be the wing backs in that formation, with Kolasinac adding some of the power we're missing further forward.

Agree with that back 5. Go to a 5-3-2 with Monreal/Kolasinac and Bellerin playing slightly further upfield and I'd like to think there would be more defensive solidity. Problem is keeping those central 3 fit because there isn't a lot of backup.

Post #476154  Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:02 am 

Anyway, we should beat West Brom on Monday given our present form. 'Should'..lol. The West Ham v. Tottenham London derby should be interesting. Wouldn't mind the 'Ammers nicking a point if not a win. I also want to see how Mourinho's side does at Soton. Always a tough place to get a win and leaving with a point is oftentimes a good result. Liverpool may end up losing yet again at Leicester or get a point. Can't see 'em winning in their present form.

Post #476155  Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:08 am 

The Cavani vs Neymar thing is not going to end well. Rumor has it we may go for Cavani. I'm not impressed with his lack of finishing at times. We need other positions filled.

Post #476156  Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:40 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Anyway, we should beat West Brom on Monday given our present form. 'Should'..lol. The West Ham v. Tottenham London derby should be interesting. Wouldn't mind the 'Ammers nicking a point if not a win. I also want to see how Mourinho's side does at Soton. Always a tough place to get a win and leaving with a point is oftentimes a good result. Liverpool may end up losing yet again at Leicester or get a point. Can't see 'em winning in their present form.

Basically every podcast tells us we have turned the corner and all is okay so WBA should be no problem at all. It was a 0-0 at Chelsea. IMO the problem with the squad for the last 10 years has been the inconsistency of performances by our players. Ramsay at Chelsea or at Stoke, or Xhaka this year or late last year just as an example and I wan to make the point they are not the only one. Then the next problem is that their confidence drops when we go behind. Then we have no plan B for parked buses. But apparently the Chelsea game demonstrated to most podcasters and half the fans that these problems no longer exist and we will likely win the EPL.

Before people jump down my throat about Ramsay I actaully like him when he plays a more structured game like at Chelsea. What i enjoy he does not hide, if passes go astray he keeps trying them and he accepts responsibility. Alexis is the same. There are many players who build up good pass stats by making 20, 5 metre passes when under no pressure. they continually hide from trying the killer passes. Then we wonder why we never create chances in the opposition penalty area.

Post #476157  Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:13 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Basically every podcast tells us we have turned the corner and all is okay so WBA should be no problem at all.

How many podcasts do you listen to? Genuine question, I don't listen to any Arsenal podcasts at all, but I'd be very surprised if fans who think we've turned a corner because of the Chelsea result are anything but a huge minority.

Post #476158  Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:59 am 

Hazuki wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
Basically every podcast tells us we have turned the corner and all is okay so WBA should be no problem at all.

How many podcasts do you listen to? Genuine question, I don't listen to any Arsenal podcasts at all, but I'd be very surprised if fans who think we've turned a corner because of the Chelsea result are anything but a huge minority.

Morning Hazuki. By 'huge minority' do you mean a minority, but a very big one (say less than 50%, but not an awful lot less)? Or do you mean a tiny minority, say anything from a fraction of 1% to less than say 10%?

Post #476159  Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:23 am 

Bernard wrote:
Morning Hazuki. By 'huge minority' do you mean a minority, but a very big one (say less than 50%, but not an awful lot less)? Or do you mean a tiny minority, say anything from a fraction of 1% to less than say 10%?

I meant a very small minority! As in perhaps 3-4 podcasters and Wenger.

Post #476160  Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:26 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Hazuki wrote:

I think we've turned a corner (on a winding road that doesn't necessarily mean much but that is not my point). Getting decent results against Chelsea is not something to sneeze at. Whereas a few seasons back we were genuine flat track bullies and were lemming like against United, Chelsea, etc, now I sense we are more competitive against the big guns--when we actually turn up.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 11901, 11902, 11903, 11904, 11905, 11906, 11907 ... 14269  Next