Fixtures Thursday July 25th - Bournemouth - Dignity Health Sports Park - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

       Injuries                 Steve Gleiber



Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2024 2:41 pm

All times are UTC


  


Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Googlebot, warrior and 31 guests

 
Post #391681  Posted: Mon Jul 08, 2024 10:05 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 27071

England play the Dutch next and Ake plays left back for them up against Saka. Of all the left backs I've seen play 1v1 vs Saka Ake has been one of the best at keeping tabs on him.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #391682  Posted: Mon Jul 08, 2024 6:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:51 pm
Posts: 3586

Looks like Zinchenko is on his way out. What with Califiori coming in. At least according to the Daily Express.

_________________
Be careful who you call your friends. I'd rather have four quarters than one hundred pennies.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #391683  Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2024 12:51 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:58 am
Posts: 34457

Rich wrote:
England play the Dutch next and Ake plays left back for them up against Saka. Of all the left backs I've seen play 1v1 vs Saka Ake has been one of the best at keeping tabs on him.


City rarely buys crap. My fear is there will be an over expectation from Saka. The media is rightfully praising him now but as you have all seen and from what I have seen over 20 odd years is they can also severely and unfairly cruel.

_________________
"Never relegated, Never Will Be" :)


 Profile  
 
 
Post #391684  Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2024 4:43 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:02 pm
Posts: 18578

grantyboy wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Odd transfer this

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/562231 ... sfer-news/

Have to assume it’s purely focussed on the homegrown quota. Is a guy who only played 5 times last season for wolves likely to be a 2nd keeper for us.

Have to say our keeping position knows feels like a permanent issue with consistency with a keeper leaving all the time.


Symptom of having 2nd string goalies who are first string at other PL clubs. Been happening since Szczesny.

I don’t think this case is really about that. This guy only played 5 times last season for wolves so it’s not like he’s really competent enough back up to cover fa and league cup matches.

I read that after the recent outgoings we have only 2 slots available in the squad for non homegrown players assuming Tavares and lokonga are sold. Assuming we sell 1 of Kiwior or Zinchenko if Calafiori comes in it leaves the 2.

Might mean we are looking to sign another non homegrown keeper because Karl Hein is going on loan and they need 3. (He was also home grown),


 Profile  
 
 
Post #391685  Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2024 4:31 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:06 am
Posts: 16583

gooner7 wrote:
Rich wrote:
Saka absolutely brilliant for England tonight, deserved man of the match, his goal was like the one he scored v Man U at home 2 years ago.
He’s clearly the best positionally and defensively of all the attacking players. Managers trust him, he rarely gives the ball away and never lets anyone down.

The penalty took balls and was redemption for 4 years ago


Agree, he was the stand-out player for England. Good to see him enjoying himself out there. Such confidence :58big-emoticons:

Saka is very versatile. Apart from his dribbling and shooting, his positioning and link up play is outstanding. A real gem.

_________________
Hamba kakuhle, Madiba


 Profile  
 
 
Post #391686  Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2024 9:42 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:58 am
Posts: 34457

New rumor we are after Ajax striker Brian Brobbey. There better strikers out there but what I like about him is he is strong as a bull, low center of gravity. And can play with his back to the goal.

_________________
"Never relegated, Never Will Be" :)


 Profile  
 
 
Post #391687  Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2024 5:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 27071

Tavares to Lazio, loan with obligation to buy for €7-8m. A low risk purchase that didn’t work out and we’ve all but got our money back. Move on


 Profile  
 
 
Post #391688  Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2024 5:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 27071

We had an opening bid for gk Dan Bentley from Wolves rejected….the bid….£50,000 haha


 Profile  
 
 
Post #391689  Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2024 5:35 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:02 pm
Posts: 18578

Rich wrote:
We had an opening bid for gk Dan Bentley from Wolves rejected….the bid….£50,000 haha


yeah when i saw the fee you realise it’s a box ticking exercise to ensure we don’t use up a non homegrown spot which probably means they are going to bring the spanish goalkeeper in as a number 2 when this gets done. This will also surely create an amazing piece of trivia for this transfer window as Arsenal will have signed 3 new goalkeepers in one window when Ramsdale goes (probably on loan)


 Profile  
 
 
Post #391690  Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2024 6:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:51 pm
Posts: 3586

Arsenal are advised to pay the £86M release clause if they want Swede striker Victor Gyokeres from Sporting CP.

_________________
Be careful who you call your friends. I'd rather have four quarters than one hundred pennies.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #391691  Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2024 6:30 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 27071

We had an opening bid for gk Dan Bentley from Wolves rejected….the bid….£50,000 haha


 Profile  
 
 
Post #391692  Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2024 6:53 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:02 pm
Posts: 18578

Come on starboy and Declan

Your moment lads.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #391693  Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2024 7:53 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:02 pm
Posts: 8250

We should creaming this lot - if we had a left side. Dec & Bell have nothing outside them.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #391694  Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2024 8:01 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:36 pm
Posts: 3807

DHD wrote:
We should creaming this lot - if we had a left side. Dec & Bell have nothing outside them.


Kieron Trippier as a left wingback is a crime against nature.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #391695  Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2024 8:23 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:02 pm
Posts: 8250

We have this. We need to be positive. Get Toney and/or Watkins and/or Palmer on.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #391696  Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2024 8:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:02 pm
Posts: 18578

We’re going to concede

Need to get Kane off as we need an outball.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #391697  Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2024 8:31 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:02 pm
Posts: 8250

Falling back. Inviting pressure. Guess what happens next.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #391698  Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2024 8:33 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:02 pm
Posts: 8250

We are now making them look better than they are. Top tictacs Gareth.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #391699  Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2024 8:34 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:02 pm
Posts: 18578

Bellingham is playing left wing. Am I wrong. Just doesn’t make sense


 Profile  
 
 
Post #391700  Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2024 8:36 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:02 pm
Posts: 18578

SUBS you *%^@


 Profile  
 
 
Post #391701  Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2024 8:56 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:02 pm
Posts: 18578

Sub scores England though. Well done Ollie


 Profile  
 
 
Post #391702  Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2024 2:56 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:04 am
Posts: 7443
Location: Townsville Australia

Nunez could be in deep trouble after the Copa semi. If he doesn't get a suspension from all football for say upwards of 4-6 months, then the code is a joke.

_________________
If this policy does not deliver then I would say we have to change it.
AW 150810


 Profile  
 
 
Post #391703  Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2024 3:03 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:58 am
Posts: 34457

Happy for England and its fans but frankly, I didn't expect them to go through. And its not because they don't have the talent. Man for man England has a generational team, not seen since the 90s maybe, compared to the major European power countries (Italy, Spain, Germany, France, Holland).

I thought Netherlands would go through because pretty much any manager in the competition is tactically better than Southgate. Nice man, bad manager. I've seen memes about Southgate's record. Its great. Finals and semi finals over the last 8 years. One could also ask were the Brazilian managers great in the 60s and 70s? Maybe they were but its been said their main job in training is rolling the ball onto the pitch.

Point is was Southgate gifted with very good English talent or was he a good manager or both? I predicted Spain early when the competition got started and see no reason for them to win it. The one thing the English side has in it that I've said is they play to the competition. The English side vs Slovakia in form would have lost the match.

The question is does Southgate keep his job after the tournament or does he have to win it to keep it? What if he loses on penalities?

_________________
"Never relegated, Never Will Be" :)


 Profile  
 
 
Post #391704  Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2024 3:03 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:55 pm
Posts: 11607
Location: Singapore

Well done Colombia! Winning with 10 men. Hope they beat Argentina.

_________________
Onwards and Upwards!


 Profile  
 
 
Post #391705  Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2024 3:04 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:55 pm
Posts: 11607
Location: Singapore

All the best to England!

_________________
Onwards and Upwards!


 Profile  
 
 
Post #391706  Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2024 10:58 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:52 pm
Posts: 18794

AmericanGooner wrote:
...I thought Netherlands would go through because pretty much any manager in the competition is tactically better than Southgate. Nice man, bad manager. I've seen memes about Southgate's record. Its great. Finals and semi finals over the last 8 years. One could also ask were the Brazilian managers great in the 60s and 70s? Maybe they were but its been said their main job in training is rolling the ball onto the pitch...Point is was Southgate gifted with very good English talent or was he a good manager or both?... The question is does Southgate keep his job after the tournament or does he have to win it to keep it? What if he loses on penalties?
In assessing Southgate it is surely only fair to look at the context of England's international record under all other managers. It has always been a poisoned chalice, and before him we only ever won one major tournament. By England standards (not Brazil, Germany, Italy and Argentina) Southgate is our second best national manager. Win it on Sunday and he could arguably be rated the best. One excellent aspect of his management is his readiness to play young guys.

_________________
"Young and caught up in life, we seldom watched the skies.”


 Profile  
 
 
Post #391707  Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2024 11:16 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:02 pm
Posts: 18578

Does anyone else think a bit too much about retiring ? I mean if you’re nowhere near your 60s yet.

This chasing big business, trying to paying mortgages stuff is exciting at first but gets boring. I used to love travelling all over the world doing business but feel frazzled right now.

That day you finally say yes that’s me done with work must be such an immense emotional feeling probably only bettered by paying off your mortgage.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #391708  Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2024 12:29 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:02 pm
Posts: 18578

just read Bologna want 50m euros plus bonuses plus sell on clause for Calafiori.

yeah walk away. That’s ridiculous. Player would have to be the real deal without question.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #391709  Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2024 7:32 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 27071

Arsenal have bid for 18 year old GK Tommy Setford who is English but plays for Ajax.

There was talk at the end of last season about Arsenal setting aside a much bigger budget to bolster the youth team having taken somewhat of a backseat to the likes of City and Chelsea in recent years


 Profile  
 
 
Post #391710  Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2024 7:40 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 27071

Lokonga to Sevilla on loan with option for €12m. The option rather than obligation is weak from us. The fee is quite low anyway so if he plays well Sevilla get a bargain, if he doesn’t they just send him back or negotiate down.

Still to be convinced that we can really sell players as well as we buy them. It always seems as though we’re too obviously desperate to sell so never have the upper hand in negotiations.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #391711  Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2024 7:13 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:22 pm
Posts: 20629

Rich wrote:
Lokonga to Sevilla on loan with option for €12m. The option rather than obligation is weak from us. The fee is quite low anyway so if he plays well Sevilla get a bargain, if he doesn’t they just send him back or negotiate down.

Still to be convinced that we can really sell players as well as we buy them. It always seems as though we’re too obviously desperate to sell so never have the upper hand in negotiations.


Hi Rich,

Lokonga had a relatively good season for Luton, bar a few injuries, and established himself as a PL quality player who could do a job for most PL clubs.

Can't understand why no one else is in for him, he's a £15-20m player all day long.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #391712  Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2024 7:17 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:22 pm
Posts: 20629

TOP GUN wrote:
just read Bologna want 50m euros plus bonuses plus sell on clause for Calafiori.

yeah walk away. That’s ridiculous. Player would have to be the real deal without question.


According to Ornstein a few people at Arsenal are bemused by that valuation anyway. They think a decent Euros has given Bologna licence to ask for a lot more than he's maybe worth.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #391713  Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2024 7:44 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:02 pm
Posts: 18578

socrates wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
just read Bologna want 50m euros plus bonuses plus sell on clause for Calafiori.

yeah walk away. That’s ridiculous. Player would have to be the real deal without question.


According to Ornstein a few people at Arsenal are bemused by that valuation anyway. They think a decent Euros has given Bologna licence to ask for a lot more than he's maybe worth.

Basically they want a 50 million pound deal plus deal plus sell on. At that point you are surely better off looking at Guehi or Branthwaite as you are all in with that fee. Or if you want a left back that’s a very good fee to get one so sign the most promising fullback under 25. If we buckle and relent that seems a mistake.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #391714  Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2024 7:51 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:38 pm
Posts: 6520
Location: ɹǝpu∩uʍop

Shelley Duvall, Star of ‘The Shining’ and ‘Nashville,’ Dies at 75

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/07/11/arts ... -dead.html


 Profile  
 
 
Post #391715  Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2024 11:28 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:06 am
Posts: 16583

TOP GUN wrote:
Bellingham is playing left wing. Am I wrong. Just doesn’t make sense

England has such good players they might actually win it despite Southgate's best efforts.

_________________
Hamba kakuhle, Madiba


 Profile  
 
 
Post #391716  Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2024 11:31 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:06 am
Posts: 16583

TOP GUN wrote:
Does anyone else think a bit too much about retiring ? I mean if you’re nowhere near your 60s yet.

This chasing big business, trying to paying mortgages stuff is exciting at first but gets boring. I used to love travelling all over the world doing business but feel frazzled right now.

That day you finally say yes that’s me done with work must be such an immense emotional feeling probably only bettered by paying off your mortgage.

Eight years to go and counting down the days.

_________________
Hamba kakuhle, Madiba


 Profile  
 
 
Post #391717  Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2024 11:33 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:06 am
Posts: 16583

old man of hoy wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
...I thought Netherlands would go through because pretty much any manager in the competition is tactically better than Southgate. Nice man, bad manager. I've seen memes about Southgate's record. Its great. Finals and semi finals over the last 8 years. One could also ask were the Brazilian managers great in the 60s and 70s? Maybe they were but its been said their main job in training is rolling the ball onto the pitch...Point is was Southgate gifted with very good English talent or was he a good manager or both?... The question is does Southgate keep his job after the tournament or does he have to win it to keep it? What if he loses on penalties?
In assessing Southgate it is surely only fair to look at the context of England's international record under all other managers. It has always been a poisoned chalice, and before him we only ever won one major tournament. By England standards (not Brazil, Germany, Italy and Argentina) Southgate is our second best national manager. Win it on Sunday and he could arguably be rated the best. One excellent aspect of his management is his readiness to play young guys.

On the other hand, has England ever had such a talented bunch of players?

_________________
Hamba kakuhle, Madiba


 Profile  
 
 
Post #391718  Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2024 12:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:31 pm
Posts: 330
Location: Pompey

Decaf wrote:
On the other hand, has England ever had such a talented bunch of players?


Well....

i saw one of those awful cheese-dick youtube shorts things (so this is the pinnacle of scientific evidence, right?) where football fans were being asked to compare, position for position, Sven's 2004 Euro XI with Southgates.

David James / Pickford
G.Nevillie / Walker
Terry / Stones
Sol / Guehi
Ashley / Trippier
Gerrard / Rice
Lamps / Mainoo
Becks / Saka
Rooney / Foden
Scholes / Bellingham
Owen / Kane

One guy raised eyebrows by choosing Saka over Becks. And Kane and Walker got some votes but not many. Otherwise, it was pretty much a unanimous choice of the 2004 guys over the 2024.

And Sven couldn't get a tune out of that lot.

_________________
"Rather than spending millions relaying the wembley pitch, they should be putting money into grassroots" - Collymore, Stan


 Profile  
 
 
Post #391719  Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2024 12:36 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:42 pm
Posts: 5747

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Nunez could be in deep trouble after the Copa semi. If he doesn't get a suspension from all football for say upwards of 4-6 months, then the code is a joke.


Nah. Threw a few punches. We all know how volatile South American football is. An international ban for 5 matches I'd say.

_________________
"If you do not believe you can do it then you have no chance at all"


 Profile  
 
 
Post #391720  Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2024 3:12 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 27071

Pompey Gooner wrote:
Decaf wrote:
On the other hand, has England ever had such a talented bunch of players?


Well....

i saw one of those awful cheese-dick youtube shorts things (so this is the pinnacle of scientific evidence, right?) where football fans were being asked to compare, position for position, Sven's 2004 Euro XI with Southgates.

David James / Pickford
G.Nevillie / Walker
Terry / Stones
Sol / Guehi
Ashley / Trippier
Gerrard / Rice
Lamps / Mainoo
Becks / Saka
Rooney / Foden
Scholes / Bellingham
Owen / Kane

One guy raised eyebrows by choosing Saka over Becks. And Kane and Walker got some votes but not many. Otherwise, it was pretty much a unanimous choice of the 2004 guys over the 2024.

And Sven couldn't get a tune out of that lot.

David James wasnt great but the back 4 in '04 much better than now. Ashley Cole light years ahead of Trippier at left back. We struggled with balance again in '04, still trying to cram the best players in to a team


 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
     [ 391824 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 9790, 9791, 9792, 9793, 9794, 9795, 9796  Next

All times are UTC

Gooners Online - Click to see what Everyones Doing

Colour Key:  Visited Profile    Members Profile      Admin

Get Latest Post

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Googlebot, warrior and 31 guests


Search for:

cron

Go to Top

Powered by php BB © 1993 - 2018