Fixtures Saturday May 2nd - Liverpool - Emirates Stadium - 3:00 Pm

Kick-Off

       Injuries                    Steve Gleiber



Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Tue May 26, 2020 10:08 am

All times are UTC


  


Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], warrior and 2 guests

 
Post #511401  Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:37 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:02 pm
Posts: 11885

Yes this is serious. The debate about wether the city game should take place seems long ago.

This isn’t flu, if you think it is take a look at the video.


https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/health-52 ... g-covid-19


 Profile  
 
 
Post #511402  Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:04 am
Posts: 5928
Location: Townsville Australia

I see Boris is in ICU. Given initially his policy was the herd mentality, should he not now refuse treatment and see if he survives.

_________________
If this policy does not deliver then I would say we have to change it.
AW 150810


 Profile  
 
 
Post #511403  Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:27 pm
Posts: 7837

Gaz from Oz wrote:
I see Boris is in ICU. Given initially his policy was the herd mentality, should he not now refuse treatment and see if he survives.

If that’s mean as humorous it seems in rather bad taste.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #511404  Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:51 pm
Posts: 2224

AmericanGooner wrote:
Boris Johnson getting it really makes it hit home that it has no respect of station or class.

Same applies to Prince Charles.

_________________
Be nice to people on your way up because you meet them on your way down....
Jimmy Durante


 Profile  
 
 
Post #511405  Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:29 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:02 pm
Posts: 11885

Bernard wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
I see Boris is in ICU. Given initially his policy was the herd mentality, should he not now refuse treatment and see if he survives.

If that’s mean as humorous it seems in rather bad taste.


He’s got a point. I wish the guy the best but Weren’t we supposed to shrug our shoulders and crack on with it.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #511406  Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:27 pm
Posts: 7837

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:
If that’s mean as humorous it seems in rather bad caste.

He’s got a point. I wish the guy the best but Weren’t we supposed to shrug our shoulders and crack on with it.

I don’t think his point is reasonable and I think it was in bad taste. I imagine the original policy was based on various factors and one of them would have been clinical advice, I’m sure of that. If the wrong policy was decided upon, it seems poor taste to mock him in his current state and who knows, he could be on his death bed.

I’ve mentioned my wife is a nurse at a hospice. She sees patients with all types of cancer, including those with lung cancer who were heavy smokers. His comment about Boris strikes me as only a little less callous as if she said to them “well it’s your own bloody fault you’re here, isn’t it?”


 Profile  
 
 
Post #511407  Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:50 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:02 pm
Posts: 11885

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
He’s got a point. I wish the guy the best but Weren’t we supposed to shrug our shoulders and crack on with it.

I don’t think his point is reasonable and I think it was in bad taste. I imagine the original policy was based on various factors and one of them would have been clinical advice, I’m sure of that. If the wrong policy was decided upon, it seems poor taste to mock him in his current state and who knows, he could be on his death bed.



Gaz can answer for himself. I don’t think it was meant in that way I think it’s just highlighting you can’t let this thing rip through society like they suggested (and knew bloody well they couldn’t also without consequences)


 Profile  
 
 
Post #511408  Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:56 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:04 am
Posts: 5928
Location: Townsville Australia

Bernard wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
I see Boris is in ICU. Given initially his policy was the herd mentality, should he not now refuse treatment and see if he survives.

If that’s mean as humorous it seems in rather bad taste.

It was not meant as humorous. Whether people see it as bad taste I don’t care. At one stage he and his government had a policy of just take your chance. But when it is actually you and yours in danger it is amazing how that changes the focus.

_________________
If this policy does not deliver then I would say we have to change it.
AW 150810


 Profile  
 
 
Post #511409  Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:01 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:04 am
Posts: 5928
Location: Townsville Australia

And further let me say that I do not advocate people are at fault themselves for their health thank you Bernard. People need to be given every opportunity to live. The lack of compassion from trump and your Boris was appalling. It was all about the economy would suffer. I make no apology for my comment.

_________________
If this policy does not deliver then I would say we have to change it.
AW 150810


 Profile  
 
 
Post #511410  Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:40 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:27 pm
Posts: 7837

Gaz from Oz wrote:
And further let me say that I do not advocate people are at fault themselves for their health thank you Bernard. People need to be given every opportunity to live. The lack of compassion from trump and your Boris was appalling. It was all about the economy would suffer. I make no apology for my comment.

Fine, you didn’t mean it as humorous. If you had I’d have put it down to a joke in very poor taste. But instead, I take it as thinking because he may have made a bad policy decision you presumably see that as his own hard luck if he ends up dying. Conceptually I see little difference in that and the possible heartless reaction to heavy smokers who get lung cancer that I gave in my earlier post. They both seem a bit sick.

By the way, he isn’t my Boris, although I accept you probably meant that as him being the Prime Minister of the country I come from and still live.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #511411  Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:46 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:55 pm
Posts: 8663
Location: Singapore

"Sunderland Till I Die" on Netflix, captures so much of the emotional roller-coaster for die-hard supporters. For me, another good show to watch.

_________________
A new Chapter awaits!


 Profile  
 
 
Post #511412  Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:14 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:45 am
Posts: 22041

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:
If that’s mean as humorous it seems in rather bad taste.


He’s got a point. I wish the guy the best but Weren’t we supposed to shrug our shoulders and crack on with it.

However one might care to interpret the original intention I really don’t think that the aim was to ‘crack on with it’ so that anyone who caught it would not receive hospital treatment.

_________________
I believe in our team, I believe in our quality and I am convinced that I am right. (Arsene Wenger Dec 08)


 Profile  
 
 
Post #511413  Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:46 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:33 pm
Posts: 4889
Location: SE9

long time gooner wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

He’s got a point. I wish the guy the best but Weren’t we supposed to shrug our shoulders and crack on with it.

However one might care to interpret the original intention I really don’t think that the aim was to ‘crack on with it’ so that anyone who caught it would not receive hospital treatment.

Anyone who is seriously ill has my best wishes for a speedy recovery, irrespective of who they are.
I sincerely hope all of us on the forum get through this, it's quite worrying as we're not all spring chickens anymore.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #511414  Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:49 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:45 am
Posts: 22041

bromley gooner wrote:
long time gooner wrote:
However one might care to interpret the original intention I really don’t think that the aim was to ‘crack on with it’ so that anyone who caught it would not receive hospital treatment.

Anyone who is seriously ill has my best wishes for a speedy recovery, irrespective of who they are.
I sincerely hope all of us on the forum get through this, it's quite worrying as we're not all spring chickens anymore.

Dead right.

_________________
I believe in our team, I believe in our quality and I am convinced that I am right. (Arsene Wenger Dec 08)


 Profile  
 
 
Post #511415  Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:59 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:27 pm
Posts: 7837

long time gooner wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:
Anyone who is seriously ill has my best wishes for a speedy recovery, irrespective of who they are.
I sincerely hope all of us on the forum get through this, it's quite worrying as we're not all spring chickens anymore.

Dead right.

Couldn’t agree more.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #511416  Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:46 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:31 pm
Posts: 3237
Location: Waltham Abbey, Essex

ditto


 Profile  
 
 
Post #511417  Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:51 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:38 pm
Posts: 4958
Location: ɹǝpu∩uʍop

As we end week 2 of the lockdown, I've been thinking about Osama Bin Laden.
He was stuck in his house with three wives for 5 years.
I'm beginning to wonder if he called in those Navy Seals himself.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #511418  Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:26 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:02 pm
Posts: 11885

Nevermind Boris. I feel sorry for the small to medium business owners who are between a rock and hard place on this and don’t have a ton of cash to fall back on. My advice would be to Improvise, adapt and overcome, hang in there folks. Stop demonising them if they need to furlough and just help them get though it. I’ve read some stories that the government backed loans on this are just in fact money makers for the banks. If they can hang in there a bit longer we will endure but goodness it’s painful for them.

Hope Boris pulls through but he’s an incompetent who should be out of a job. The idea NHS workers are not being able to get tested yet that silly wanker ignores WHO advice when making policy, makes inappropriate jokes about shaking hands and then not social distancing. Just a prat.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #511419  Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:06 am
Posts: 13266

Bernard wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
I see Boris is in ICU. Given initially his policy was the herd mentality, should he not now refuse treatment and see if he survives.

If that’s mean as humorous it seems in rather bad taste.

And if it isn't meant as humorous, we should give the Tories their due: they did seem to change position rapidly when they realised they had it wrong.

Which, as Ash pointed out, not many on the forum are noted for.

_________________
Hamba kakuhle, Madiba


 Profile  
 
 
Post #511420  Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:37 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:06 am
Posts: 13266

TOP GUN wrote:
Yes this is serious. The debate about wether the city game should take place seems long ago.

This isn’t flu, if you think it is take a look at the video.


https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/health-52 ... g-covid-19

It is very serious and the prospect of escalation is terrifying.

However, I note that about 5000 people are dying of Covid-19 every day compared with 18 000 who die of hunger every day.

I don't want to downplay the Covid crisis at all. But it really does highlight how terrible social protection systems are, both in terms of their basic coverage and ability to cope with crises, and how much we have normalised so much other crap.

_________________
Hamba kakuhle, Madiba


 Profile  
 
 
Post #511421  Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:53 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:06 am
Posts: 13266

bubblechris wrote:
Andrew Neill on twitter

"Final note: Deaths registered in England and Wales in week 12 (w/e 20 March) decreased from 11,019 in week 11 to 10,645. This is 72 more deaths than the five-year average of 10,573. So week 12 was when deaths started to overtake 5-year average for first time"

Talks a lot of sense for a reporter....................

The underlying (average) death rate would be declining in spring anyway. That needs to be taken into account.

Have a look here. The uptick looks serious: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... report.pdf

_________________
Hamba kakuhle, Madiba


 Profile  
 
 
Post #511422  Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:03 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:06 am
Posts: 13266

Bernard wrote:
Guardiola’s mother has died with it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.thegua ... ty-manager

What an awful time Spain is having. Lo siento, Pep.

_________________
Hamba kakuhle, Madiba


 Profile  
 
 
Post #511423  Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:27 pm
Posts: 7837

Apparently it was made in 2013 but I’d never seen it before. Last night ITV showed the programme Keane & Vieira - Best of Enemies. The programme focussed on the confrontation between Patrick Vieira and Roy Keane over their years at Arsenal and Manchester United respectively. One part of the programme was them each choosing their own best teams from the players they played with at each club, so Vieira picked his Arsenal team while Keane picked his United team.

But together they also picked a combined Arsenal and United team. It was 4-4-2 and each club got 5.5 players in the side. It was goalkeeper: Schmeichel, right back: Lauren, left back: Irwin or Cole, central defence: Adams and Stam, right midfield: Pires, left midfield: Ronaldo, central midfield: Keane and Vieira, upfront: Henry and Cantona.

Vieira wanted Cole at left back, Keane wanted Irwin and they couldn’t come to an agreed choice. Vieira wanted Bergkamp instead of Cantona but Keane got his way. Keane wanted van Nistelrooy upfront with Cantona, but Vieira got his way with Henry. Keane also wanted Beckham at right midfield but Vieira got his way with Pires, who was moved to the right to accommodate Ronaldo on the left.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #511424  Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:02 pm
Posts: 11885

Bernard wrote:
Apparently it was made in 2013 but I’d never seen it before. Last night ITV showed the programme Keane & Vieira - Best of Enemies. The programme focussed on the confrontation between Patrick Vieira and Roy Keane over their years at Arsenal and Manchester United respectively. One part of the programme was them each choosing their own best teams from the players they played with at each club, so Vieira picked his Arsenal team while Keane picked his United team.

But together they also picked a combined Arsenal and United team. It was 4-4-2 and each club got 5.5 players in the side. It was goalkeeper: Schmeichel, right back: Lauren, left back: Irwin or Cole, central defence: Adams and Stam, right midfield: Pires, left midfield: Ronaldo, central midfield: Keane and Vieira, upfront: Henry and Cantona.

Vieira wanted Cole at left back, Keane wanted Irwin and they couldn’t come to an agreed choice. Vieira wanted Bergkamp instead of Cantona but Keane got his way. Keane wanted van Nistelrooy upfront with Cantona, but Vieira got his way with Henry. Keane also wanted Beckham at right midfield but Vieira got his way with Pires, who was moved to the right to accommodate Ronaldo on the left.


Saw that once. Seemed a wasted opportunity and just went away thinking it was confirmation Keane was a prat. Gotta be Cole at left back. One of the few world class players England have had.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #511425  Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:52 pm
Posts: 17939

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Apparently it was made in 2013 but I’d never seen it before. Last night ITV showed the programme Keane & Vieira - Best of Enemies. The programme focussed on the confrontation between Patrick Vieira and Roy Keane over their years at Arsenal and Manchester United respectively. One part of the programme was them each choosing their own best teams from the players they played with at each club, so Vieira picked his Arsenal team while Keane picked his United team.

But together they also picked a combined Arsenal and United team. It was 4-4-2 and each club got 5.5 players in the side. It was goalkeeper: Schmeichel, right back: Lauren, left back: Irwin or Cole, central defence: Adams and Stam, right midfield: Pires, left midfield: Ronaldo, central midfield: Keane and Vieira, upfront: Henry and Cantona.

Vieira wanted Cole at left back, Keane wanted Irwin and they couldn’t come to an agreed choice. Vieira wanted Bergkamp instead of Cantona but Keane got his way. Keane wanted van Nistelrooy upfront with Cantona, but Vieira got his way with Henry. Keane also wanted Beckham at right midfield but Vieira got his way with Pires, who was moved to the right to accommodate Ronaldo on the left.


Saw that once. Seemed a wasted opportunity and just went away thinking it was confirmation Keane was a prat. Gotta be Cole at left back. One of the few world class players England have had.
Keano was a fine player but was, and seems to remain, an easily dislikeable person. Presumably there is a proper human being behind that aggressive and miserable exterior? Hope so.

By the way, perhaps we don't say it so much these days, but what a wonderful midfielder Vieira was. Yes Best, Giggs and Rooney were youngsters who quickly grew into men on the football field, but for me Paddy was the one who was supreme - playing in the centre and dominating every opponent from age of 19? Well virtually all opponents - I do recall he was once outmuscled by a big unit who played for Fulham, whose name escapes me. Maybe only Duncan Edwards was as physically dominant?

It was a privilege to watch Vieira back in those Highbury days.

_________________
"Young and caught up in life, we seldom watched the skies.”


 Profile  
 
 
Post #511426  Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:14 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:38 pm
Posts: 4958
Location: ɹǝpu∩uʍop

old man of hoy wrote:
It was a privilege to watch Vieira back in those Highbury days.



 Profile  
 
 
Post #511427  Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:53 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:06 am
Posts: 13266

old man of hoy wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Saw that once. Seemed a wasted opportunity and just went away thinking it was confirmation Keane was a prat. Gotta be Cole at left back. One of the few world class players England have had.
Keano was a fine player but was, and seems to remain, an easily dislikeable person. Presumably there is a proper human being behind that aggressive and miserable exterior? Hope so.

By the way, perhaps we don't say it so much these days, but what a wonderful midfielder Vieira was. Yes Best, Giggs and Rooney were youngsters who quickly grew into men on the football field, but for me Paddy was the one who was supreme - playing in the centre and dominating every opponent from age of 19? Well virtually all opponents - I do recall he was once outmuscled by a big unit who played for Fulham, whose name escapes me. Maybe only Duncan Edwards was as physically dominant?

It was a privilege to watch Vieira back in those Highbury days.

The quality of players we had in the early 2000s ... we were spoiled.

_________________
Hamba kakuhle, Madiba


 Profile  
 
 
Post #511428  Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:58 am
Posts: 29085

Zed wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
Boris Johnson getting it really makes it hit home that it has no respect of station or class.

Same applies to Prince Charles.

True enough, i recall. As far as I know he didn't have symptoms as severe as Boris if at all. Not that its no less scary.
It's an excruciating way to go from what I am reading. :1cry:

_________________
"If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken. Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools..." - Rudyard Kipling


 Profile  
 
 
Post #511429  Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:58 am
Posts: 29085

warrior wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:
It was a privilege to watch Vieira back in those Highbury days.



His was the goal to secure our invincible season. And his very last kick for the club secured the FA Cup. Imperious may not be enough to describe him when he was in his element.

i can't do him justice. Ron Weasley may have to be called in to describe him.


_________________
"If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken. Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools..." - Rudyard Kipling


 Profile  
 
 
Post #511430  Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:58 am
Posts: 29085

old man of hoy wrote:
I do recall he was once outmuscled by a big unit who played for Fulham, whose name escapes me.


Was it this guy?

_________________
"If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken. Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools..." - Rudyard Kipling


 Profile  
 
 
Post #511431  Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:58 am
Posts: 29085

Wow. Hadn't realized Souness was this crazy. Could easily have been part of fat Sam's Bolton mob.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVvT9VMrJyA&t=28s

_________________
"If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken. Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools..." - Rudyard Kipling


 Profile  
 
 
Post #511432  Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:52 pm
Posts: 17939

AmericanGooner wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:
I do recall he was once outmuscled by a big unit who played for Fulham, whose name escapes me.


Was it this guy?
Yes, thanks for the memory.

_________________
"Young and caught up in life, we seldom watched the skies.”


 Profile  
 
 
Post #511433  Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:52 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:04 am
Posts: 5928
Location: Townsville Australia

The F A Chairman statement.
http://www.thefa.com/news/2020/apr/07/g ... cil-070420

Of interest is this statement:

Returning to the issue of uncertainty, no one knows how long the lock down will last and what social distancing measures will endure even when the daily rate of infection is much reduced. Our Government is rightly cautious as human life is at stake and prudence is our only sensible option.

We are committed to finishing the professional football season as this resolves the issues of promotion and relegation together with title winners on merit. However, we may not be able to finish the season as football is not our priority, human life is, and we will do as the Government directs as the pandemic unfolds.

_________________
If this policy does not deliver then I would say we have to change it.
AW 150810


 Profile  
 
 
Post #511434  Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:20 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 15736

There are a few Italian clubs rumoured to want Torreira back in the country. AC Milan the latest. If we got a good price for him and signed a good quality replacement I thin we should do it. I like Torreira but I'm still to be convinced the English league is the right one for him.

Thomas Partey's release clause is £43m. If you can sell Torreira for £35m (ish) and upgrade with a few more million to a play of Partey's calibre then I'd do it. We desperately need some athleticism, mobility, strength and stability in the centre of midfield


 Profile  
 
 
Post #511435  Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:44 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:02 pm
Posts: 6805

I hate to worry anyone, but....

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/07/uk-will-be-europes-worst-hit-by-coronavirus-study-predicts


 Profile  
 
 
Post #511436  Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:48 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:02 pm
Posts: 6805

..and Patrick Vieira was - is - the best midfielder I have ever seen in my life - anywhere in the world, at any club in any era. He was a one man midfield who could do everything - tackle, defend, attack, pass, run, score goals, defend corners - everything. In my opinion of course.

And he played for The Arsenal.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #511437  Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:19 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:49 pm
Posts: 174

.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #511438  Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:20 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:49 pm
Posts: 174

DHD wrote:
..and Patrick Vieira was - is - the best midfielder I have ever seen in my life - anywhere in the world, at any club in any era. He was a one man midfield who could do everything - tackle, defend, attack, pass, run, score goals, defend corners - everything. In my opinion of course.

And he played for The Arsenal.


Wonderful player. Used to amaze me every time he was in a crowded midfield then flicked the ball over the oppo's head and ran off. Don't think I've seen anyone else do that, certainly not week after week.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #511439  Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:25 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:58 am
Posts: 29085

Along with Vieira the best I've seen in his position in the league, the best passer I've ever seen is Bergkamp. Maybe someone can think of a person with better vision for a pass, who sees the whole field but for my money, I've not seen any better than Bergkamp. Villa, Fabregas are up there as well as a few others, but Bergkamp above all for me.
And even though Aguero has passed Henry for most goals for a foreigner in the league, I still put Henry above him because Henry has scored in bunches on bad Arsenal sides. Sergio has been on good City sides his entire EPL career. Yes, the early City teams he was on was not as dominant as today but they were still very good. Aguero came in 2011 where they were 3rd. Since then they were 1st or 2nd every season except two and those seasons they were 3rd and 4th respectively.
I could possibly be accused of being a wee bit biased and the difference between both of them scoring isn't a lot but Henry was far the more complete player.

_________________
"If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken. Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools..." - Rudyard Kipling


 Profile  
 
 
Post #511440  Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:53 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:02 pm
Posts: 6805

TAFKAEiN wrote:
DHD wrote:
..and Patrick Vieira was - is - the best midfielder I have ever seen in my life - anywhere in the world, at any club in any era. He was a one man midfield who could do everything - tackle, defend, attack, pass, run, score goals, defend corners - everything. In my opinion of course.

And he played for The Arsenal.


Wonderful player. Used to amaze me every time he was in a crowded midfield then flicked the ball over the oppo's head and ran off. Don't think I've seen anyone else do that, certainly not week after week.


I count myself privileged to have seen more than 90% of PV4's games for us. As you say Ex, week after week he amazed and excited.


 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
     [ 512317 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12783, 12784, 12785, 12786, 12787, 12788, 12789 ... 12808  Next

All times are UTC

Gooners Online - Click to see what Everyones Doing

Colour Key:  Visited Profile    Members Profile      Admin

Get Latest Post

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], warrior and 2 guests


Search for:

Go to Top

Powered by php BB © 1993 - 2018