Fixtures Monday March 2nd - Portsmouth - Fratton Park - The Emirates FA Cup - 7:45 Pm

Kick-Off

       Injuries                    Steve Gleiber



Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:56 pm

All times are UTC


  


Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bernard, bromley gooner, Decaf, warrior and 4 guests

 
Post #517881  Posted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:37 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:27 pm
Posts: 7644

kiwipete wrote:
Goonie wrote:
Emery didn't make it easy for himself by allowing so many experienced players go in one summer. Čech, Kos and Monreal... plus Ramsey... and to a certain extent Iwobi and Mkhitaryan. Elneny too. Think it destabilised the squad.

:laughing7: as soon as someone leaves he suddenly becomes indispensible to our cause ...are you kidding .

For getting rid of that pile of sh**t he should be praised , only one of that lot I'd like back would be Iwobi .

I’m agreeing with you again. Apart from the bit where you’d take back Iwobi. Not a bad player at all but considering the price we got for him, in my view the right decision to sell. I thought Čech retired from playing to take his new job at Chelsea.

Koscielny was awful as well as being injury prone towards the end. I still remember him making Giroud look like Ronaldo at his peak in the Europa League final against Chelsea. The same Giroud who may well have played less minutes at Stamford Bridge this season than David Luiz. Mkhitaryan? I can remember everyone moaning about him. And Juventus presumably want to see the back of Ramsey because he hardly ever plays and when he does is apparently garbage.

I really liked the unmentioned Welbeck but seeing how much he plays at Watford he’s another who had to go. I think you’re right that as soon as players go it’s easy to start overstating how much we’re missing them. It’s similar to what DHD said about Holding, who of course is still here. When he was injured people used to make out he was better than he is.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #517882  Posted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:53 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:27 pm
Posts: 7644

kiwipete wrote:
BMurph .... the latter annoyed me at one stage , I tried to give him a kick in the nuts , he skillfully avoided the jibe , I laughed , we became good mates , his sister lived in NZ ,

Later he PM'd me said he was terminally ill so sadly I'd say he has passed on .

Sad to hear that about BMurph.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #517883  Posted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:56 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:20 am
Posts: 8929

kiwipete wrote:
Goonie wrote:

Emery didn't make it easy for himself by allowing so many experienced players go in one summer. Čech, Kos and Monreal... plus Ramsey... and to a certain extent Iwobi and Mkhitaryan. Elneny too. Think it destabilised the squad.

:laughing7: as soon as someone leaves he suddenly becomes indispensible to our cause ...are you kidding .

For getting rid of that pile of sh**t he should be praised , only one of that lot I'd like back would be Iwobi .

I'm just saying that many first squad players leaving could hv destabilised the club. Too many changes never a good thing. Morale must hv been affected somewhat. If not we won't be doing worse than last season.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #517884  Posted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:09 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:02 pm
Posts: 11696

kiwipete wrote:
Goonie wrote:

Emery didn't make it easy for himself by allowing so many experienced players go in one summer. Čech, Kos and Monreal... plus Ramsey... and to a certain extent Iwobi and Mkhitaryan. Elneny too. Think it destabilised the squad.

:laughing7: as soon as someone leaves he suddenly becomes indispensible to our cause ...are you kidding .

For getting rid of that pile of sh**t he should be praised , only one of that lot I'd like back would be Iwobi .


I think the decision to move Iwobi on was correct and a friend who follows Everton says he only impresses in dribs and drabs for them however I think if we had hung on to him this season he would have played an awful lot of games so far.

You have Özil producing one assist all year and Iwobi always looked more comfortable centrally than wide. I think our lack of options would have meant he featured heavily


 Profile  
 
 
Post #517885  Posted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:11 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:33 pm
Posts: 1281

Rich wrote:
There are some interesting players out there with gettable release clauses.
Werner from Leipzig at £50m
Pellegrini looks like the creative box to box we need - available for £25-30m
Hwang Hee-Chan from Salzburg available for £20m
Grealish £45m

Even Haaland who's just signed for Dortmund looks like he has a cheap release clause of £65m considering what he's done this season and is still only 19

If we lose Aubamayang this summer (which I think we have to if he won't sign, and it actually makes more sense to sell him now than sign him on a £300k per week 4 year deal) then I'd go all out for Werner. Pretty much a goal per game in Germany, very quick good all round striker.

You can forget about Werner. He's going to Liverpool.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #517886  Posted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:40 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:20 am
Posts: 8929

TOP GUN wrote:
kiwipete wrote:
:laughing7: as soon as someone leaves he suddenly becomes indispensible to our cause ...are you kidding .

For getting rid of that pile of sh**t he should be praised , only one of that lot I'd like back would be Iwobi .


I think the decision to move Iwobi on was correct and a friend who follows Everton says he only impresses in dribs and drabs for them however I think if we had hung on to him this season he would have played an awful lot of games so far.

You have Özil producing one assist all year and Iwobi always looked more comfortable centrally than wide. I think our lack of options would have meant he featured heavily


Ramsey is the player we miss the most. Our poor form end of last season coincided with him getting injured. I don't want him back because he's injury-prone, but we certainly can do with a midfielder like him.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #517887  Posted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:42 am
Posts: 11994
Location: Rotorua New Zealand

Bernard wrote:
kiwipete wrote:
:laughing7: as soon as someone leaves he suddenly becomes indispensible to our cause ...are you kidding .

For getting rid of that pile of sh**t he should be praised , only one of that lot I'd like back would be Iwobi .

I’m agreeing with you again. Apart from the bit where you’d take back Iwobi. Not a bad player at all but considering the price we got for him, in my view the right decision to sell. I thought Čech retired from playing to take his new job at Chelsea.

Koscielny was awful as well as being injury prone towards the end. I still remember him making Giroud look like Ronaldo at his peak in the Europa League final against Chelsea. The same Giroud who may well have played less minutes at Stamford Bridge this season than David Luiz. Mkhitaryan? I can remember everyone moaning about him. And Juventus presumably want to see the back of Ramsey because he hardly ever plays and when he does is apparently garbage.

I really liked the unmentioned Welbeck but seeing how much he plays at Watford he’s another who had to go. I think you’re right that as soon as players go it’s easy to start overstating how much we’re missing them. It’s similar to what DHD said about Holding, who of course is still here. When he was injured people used to make out he was better than he is.

and I in turn agree with what you are saying Bernard

... I did micro analyse each player pretty much the same way you did , came to the same conclusions ; then chopped it back .

I only mentioned Iwobi in the sense ..... that of that pile of rubble he would be the one I'd have least problem with returning . .


 Profile  
 
 
Post #517888  Posted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:42 am
Posts: 11994
Location: Rotorua New Zealand

Goonie wrote:

Ramsey is the player we miss the most. Our poor form end of last season coincided with him getting injured. I don't want him back because he's injury-prone, but we certainly can do with a midfielder like him.


Think you've got that one wrong Goonie

I wouldn't want to upset John 1 who has a life sized statue of Aaron in his lounge but I think there is a tendency on your part and others to remember Ramsay
for his bursting runs , goals and work ethic from way back . He was a very good player ONCE .

but he could frequently produce passes straight to the opposition that Xhaka and Mustafi would drool over , was AWOL in a lot of matches he played , and was as injury prone as Diaby .

Hanging on to him far too long letting his contract ran down thus not getting a fee was the only loss for the Club I can see


 Profile  
 
 
Post #517889  Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:56 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:20 am
Posts: 8929

kiwipete wrote:
Goonie wrote:

Ramsey is the player we miss the most. Our poor form end of last season coincided with him getting injured. I don't want him back because he's injury-prone, but we certainly can do with a midfielder like him.


Think you've got that one wrong Goonie

I wouldn't want to upset John 1 who has a life sized statue of Aaron in his lounge but I think there is a tendency on your part and others to remember Ramsay
for his bursting runs , goals and work ethic from way back . He was a very good player ONCE .

but he could frequently produce passes straight to the opposition that Xhaka and Mustafi would drool over , was AWOL in a lot of matches he played , and was as injury prone as Diaby .

Hanging on to him far too long letting his contract ran down thus not getting a fee was the only loss for the Club I can see


I was talking about players that left last summer. The reliable Monreal is another one.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #517890  Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:49 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:58 am
Posts: 28694

Goonie wrote:

Ramsey is the player we miss the most. Our poor form end of last season coincided with him getting injured. I don't want him back because he's injury-prone, but we certainly can do with a midfielder like him.


I've often thought Ramsey would thrive in Arteta's system. Hate to think of the 'what ifs' had he stayed with us. But oh well.

_________________
"Satire is meant to ridicule power. Ridiculing people arbitrarily isn't satire, its bullying" - Pratchett


 Profile  
 
 
Post #517891  Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:01 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:42 am
Posts: 11994
Location: Rotorua New Zealand

TOP GUN wrote:
kiwipete wrote:
:laughing7: as soon as someone leaves he suddenly becomes indispensible to our cause ...are you kidding .

For getting rid of that pile of sh**t he should be praised , only one of that lot I'd like back would be Iwobi .


I think the decision to move Iwobi on was correct and a friend who follows Everton says he only impresses in dribs and drabs for them however I think if we had hung on to him this season he would have played an awful lot of games so far.

You have Özil producing one assist all year and Iwobi always looked more comfortable centrally than wide. I think our lack of options would have meant he featured heavily

I do too ..... hand forced he would be the one I'd have back

I will always the hold the opinion until I'm six feet under .... modern footballers earn far too much money for what they produce . As a consequence people like

Walcott and Oxlade are propelled forward before they have learnt the basics , crossing , shooting , ball control .

People like Özil can fluff around contributing next to nothing and earn in a week five times what some ordinary Joe Bloggs earns in a year .

Someone said to me today Lewis Hamilton has the snots with Mercedes , he is on 65 million a year and they have now offered him 90 million to stay .

How gross , people struggling to find food and clean water and some prat is offered 90 million to drive a poxy Formula One race car for a year.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #517892  Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:14 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:04 am
Posts: 5810
Location: Townsville Australia

Anyone been to Florence in the last twelve months? If so recommendations of restaurants at the medium price to low level range if you have any. One of our stops in April when we head off over that way.

_________________
If this policy does not deliver then I would say we have to change it.
AW 150810


 Profile  
 
 
Post #517893  Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:20 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 15677

On the whole we've been much better at selling and moving players on recently. One of Wenger's best attributes but also one of his weakest was his loyalty to players. We've had so many injury prone players who kept getting new deals.
If you look at all those injury prone players, Wilshere, Ramsey, Welbeck, Ox - every single one of them has had injury problems since leaving us. Whilst it may be true that we'd be a better team with them in the squad that is wholly reliant on them actually being fit. Of that group it'll probably be Ox who we regret the most but he's only played about 1/3 of the games for Liverpool than he could of if fully fit and at least we got a decent fee for him. Welbeck, Ramsey, Wilshere if sold at the right times could have earned us £60-70m

Iwobi we sold for £30m odd, if he hadn't played for us before would anyone be looking at what he's done for Everton this season and think that we should be signing Iwobi for £30m? or even £15m? Again we would probably be a better squad with him but that isn't the point, we weren't likely to get where we want to be with Iwobi so it is better to sell him and invest in players who can take us where we want to be ie: Martinelli.

Last summer we sold or released 11 players who were part of the first team squad, that is a huge turnover in players and it was much needed. I think we need to do something similarly as drastic this summer. Start with players on loan such as Elneny and Mkhitaryan and then go down through the first team squad with ruthlessness and you'd pick off a fair few, maybe not as many as 11 but easily 6-7 should go out the door and replaced.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #517894  Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:13 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:33 pm
Posts: 4765
Location: SE9

Gossip columns saying Man U sniffing around Saka. I’d quote them £80M since they paid £50M for Wan-Bissaka.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #517895  Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:22 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:27 pm
Posts: 7644

bromley gooner wrote:
Gossip columns saying Man U sniffing around Saka. I’d quote them £80M since they paid £50M for Wan-Bissaka.

Wonder how long a contract he’s on?

EDIT: Just checked. Apparently it expires in the summer of next year, so June 2021.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #517896  Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:54 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:02 pm
Posts: 11696

Bernard wrote:
bromley gooner wrote:
Gossip columns saying Man U sniffing around Saka. I’d quote them £80M since they paid £50M for Wan-Bissaka.

Wonder how long a contract he’s on?

EDIT: Just checked. Apparently it expires in the summer of next year, so June 2021.


Blimey that’s interesting, that could be a pretty big call this summer for the club.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #517897  Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:15 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:27 pm
Posts: 7644

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Wonder how long a contract he’s on?

EDIT: Just checked. Apparently it expires in the summer of next year, so June 2021.

Blimey that’s interesting, that could be a pretty big call this summer for the club.

Considering the club’s intention to stop losing players for nothing, you may well be right.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #517898  Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:44 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 15677

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Blimey that’s interesting, that could be a pretty big call this summer for the club.

Considering the club’s intention to stop losing players for nothing, you may well be right.

Seems like a no brainer, sign him up on a long term deal. I can’t think why he’d want to leave. He’s only just broken through.
I think if Arsenal somehow let Saka slip through our fingers to a rival club it would say more about the state of the club than any of ramsey, sanchez etc


 Profile  
 
 
Post #517899  Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:12 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:27 pm
Posts: 7644

Rich wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Considering the club’s intention to stop losing players for nothing, you may well be right.

Seems like a no brainer, sign him up on a long term deal. I can’t think why he’d want to leave. He’s only just broken through.
I think if Arsenal somehow let Saka slip through our fingers to a rival club it would say more about the state of the club than any of ramsey, sanchez etc

Signing Saka on a long-term deal is the ideal scenario. However, whilst he has only just broken through, I think it’s more than feasible that he would find Liverpool or Manchester United very tempting. Myself, if we do lose Saka I feel it would indicate how far we’ve fallen under Kroenke’s ownership. And dare I suggest largely because of Kroenke’s ownership.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #517900  Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:58 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:02 pm
Posts: 11696

This guy is the agent of Saka by the way

https://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_n ... ?nid=31152


 Profile  
 
 
Post #517901  Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:58 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:42 am
Posts: 11994
Location: Rotorua New Zealand

Bernard wrote:
I think it’s more than feasible that he would find Liverpool or Manchester United very tempting. Myself, if we do lose Saka I feel it would indicate how far we’ve fallen under Kroenke’s ownership. And dare I suggest largely because of Kroenke’s ownership.


After the Moyes , Giggs , Mourihno , van Gaal , Ole Gunnar fiascos I'd think the appeal of signing for Man U has long gone down the tubes ... they are in the same gigantic cesspit we are . Klopp is a totally different matter anybody in their right mind would want to head there ... replacement for Milner ?

Here's the outfit representing Saka ....Cantwell would be good buy from Norwich at 14 million

.https://www.transfermarkt.com/elite-pro ... rater/5620


 Profile  
 
 
Post #517902  Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:14 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:27 pm
Posts: 7644

kiwipete wrote:
Bernard wrote:
I think it’s more than feasible that he would find Liverpool or Manchester United very tempting. Myself, if we do lose Saka I feel it would indicate how far we’ve fallen under Kroenke’s ownership. And dare I suggest largely because of Kroenke’s ownership.


After the Moyes , Giggs , Mourihno , van Gaal , Ole Gunnar fiascos I'd think the appeal of signing for Man U has long gone down the tubes ... they are in the same gigantic cesspit we are . Klopp is a totally different matter anybody in their right mind would want to head there ... replacement for Milner ?

Here's the outfit representing Saka ....Cantwell would be good buy from Norwich at 14 million

.https://www.transfermarkt.com/elite-pro ... rater/5620

I just think the status of Manchester United is still miles above that of Arsenal. I agree that Liverpool look the ideal club to join these days. But I really don’t think the appeal of Manchester United has yet fallen too far. They are still probably the biggest club in England, even if they’re not currently the best team. I honestly feel Saka would be tempted by both of them.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #517903  Posted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:32 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:20 am
Posts: 8929

kiwipete wrote:
Bernard wrote:
I think it’s more than feasible that he would find Liverpool or Manchester United very tempting. Myself, if we do lose Saka I feel it would indicate how far we’ve fallen under Kroenke’s ownership. And dare I suggest largely because of Kroenke’s ownership.


After the Moyes , Giggs , Mourihno , van Gaal , Ole Gunnar fiascos I'd think the appeal of signing for Man U has long gone down the tubes ... they are in the same gigantic cesspit we are . Klopp is a totally different matter anybody in their right mind would want to head there ... replacement for Milner ?

Here's the outfit representing Saka ....Cantwell would be good buy from Norwich at 14 million

.https://www.transfermarkt.com/elite-pro ... rater/5620


More likely Cantwell's transfer fee would be at least double than 14m. Could still be a good buy at 30m. Everton have some interesting young players as well - Holgate, Calvert-Lewin and Richarlison.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #517904  Posted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:34 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:02 pm
Posts: 6721

Good article in the Grauniad on Reiss Nelson:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/feb/13/reiss-nelson-arsenal-jadon-sancho-whos-better-mikel-arteta


 Profile  
 
 
Post #517905  Posted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:41 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:52 pm
Posts: 13061

DHD wrote:

That is good, DHD. Thanks for that. Nice to see the kids emerging and it's good to hear how highly they all rate Arteta as a coach and as a man. I like that.

_________________
There's a man who's been out sailing in a decade full of dreams


 Profile  
 
 
Post #517906  Posted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:54 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:02 pm
Posts: 6721

Darren wrote:
DHD wrote:

That is good, DHD. Thanks for that. Nice to see the kids emerging and it's good to hear how highly they all rate Arteta as a coach and as a man. I like that.


Breaking recent habits, I’m actually there on Sunday, Darren.

Might see you there?

Edit

.....and I’m really looking forward to it. Notwithstanding our lack of craft and passing in mf, we have some exciting players. I really like our current bunch of youngsters and I think that under Arteta, they all now have a game plan. Confidence is high.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #517907  Posted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:46 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 15677

City banned from uefa comps for 2 years. On the face of it that means 5th place will get champions league next season.

Huge news. Bound to appeal it


 Profile  
 
 
Post #517908  Posted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:42 am
Posts: 11994
Location: Rotorua New Zealand

What a joke that VAR is ..Wolves have just had a goal disallowed for a bloke's foot being about 5mm offside .


 Profile  
 
 
Post #517909  Posted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:02 am
Posts: 1591
Location: Liverpool/Caernarfon

kiwipete wrote:
Goonie wrote:

Ramsey is the player we miss the most. Our poor form end of last season coincided with him getting injured. I don't want him back because he's injury-prone, but we certainly can do with a midfielder like him.


Think you've got that one wrong Goonie

I wouldn't want to upset John 1 who has a life sized statue of Aaron in his lounge but I think there is a tendency on your part and others to remember Ramsay


No Pete. I don’t have a life sized statue of Aaron in my lounge.

Think Colossus of Rhodes in my front garden and you’d be nearer the mark.

Btw it’s Ramsey.

_________________
Gorau chwarae cyd chwarae


 Profile  
 
 
Post #517910  Posted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:57 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:55 pm
Posts: 8621
Location: Singapore

DHD wrote:


Nice article. Keep going Reiss!
Good to know how engaged Arteta is with the team.

_________________
A new Chapter awaits!


 Profile  
 
 
Post #517911  Posted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:22 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:04 am
Posts: 5810
Location: Townsville Australia

I have not yet bought into the Arteta hype. I think I have seen us play well for 2 half games Man U and Chelsea.

The games coming up for us:
Newcastle h, Olympicios X 2, Everton h,Westham h,Portsmouth, Brighton, Brighton, Southampton, Norwich h, Wolves.

IMO he no longer has the excuse that he hasn't had time to work with his squad. Arteta has had time to access the squad, work on his game plan and make decisions about players etc - what is reasonable to expect from these games. I don't think it is too much to ask for solid wins until Wolves.

I will be interested to see if he really does chose players who are performing or if he goes for safety first policy and sticks with the old guard.

_________________
If this policy does not deliver then I would say we have to change it.
AW 150810


 Profile  
 
 
Post #517912  Posted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:33 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 15677

Gaz from Oz wrote:
I have not yet bought into the Arteta hype. I think I have seen us play well for 2 half games Man U and Chelsea.

The games coming up for us:
Newcastle h, Olympicios X 2, Everton h,Westham h,Portsmouth, Brighton, Brighton, Southampton, Norwich h, Wolves..


I would add in Bournemouth in the cup where we were excellent in the first half.
I agree with you that he needs to start getting wins now. A very inviting run of fixtures to do so


 Profile  
 
 
Post #517913  Posted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:57 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 15677

Man City have an amazing youth team, regularly winning the youth cup etc but hardly any of them make it anywhere near the first team. Even Foden, who is so talented struggled for minutes. I wonder if Arteta might go back and try to persuade some of those young players to move to Arsenal with the greater promise of first team football?


 Profile  
 
 
Post #517914  Posted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:30 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:22 pm
Posts: 18383

I suspect Man City will appeal this ban and that any ban will not come into force until the outcome of any appeal, which with the lawyers they have will probably see the ban lifted or significantly reduced. I doubt that any appeal and subsequent court hearings etc will be concluded by the start of next season anyway so it may well be that 5th place this season does not give CL qualification next season because City cannot be kicked out until any appeal is concluded. Having said that I think Chelsea's transfer ban remained in place despite an ongoing appeal. I'm not sure what the PL will do in this situation.

If the appeal is lost and a substantial breach of Financial Fair Play Rules is proven then does that mean that City's PL titles and cup wins etc are taken away? If not then why not.......they will have cheated to win them after all?


 Profile  
 
 
Post #517915  Posted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:46 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:30 pm
Posts: 7307

Gaz from Oz wrote:
I have not yet bought into the Arteta hype. I think I have seen us play well for 2 half games Man U and Chelsea.

The games coming up for us:
Newcastle h, Olympicios X 2, Everton h,Westham h,Portsmouth, Brighton, Brighton, Southampton, Norwich h, Wolves.

IMO he no longer has the excuse that he hasn't had time to work with his squad. Arteta has had time to access the squad, work on his game plan and make decisions about players etc - what is reasonable to expect from these games. I don't think it is too much to ask for solid wins until Wolves.
.

You expect this Arsenal team to win nine matches in a row?!

It is far too early to judge Arteta. He is quite clearly changing things and so far he has improved us in some areas. He has a long way to go though and we shouldn't forget the state of the team when he took over.

_________________
"I just kept going pretty lively. Them killers wasn't too healthy company."


 Profile  
 
 
Post #517916  Posted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:58 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:59 am
Posts: 306

:42laughter:


https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=9Ho2C_1581625363

:5encouragement: :5encouragement: :5encouragement:

_________________
Thank you for taking the time
Greeny

We left our soul at Highbury.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #517917  Posted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:59 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:30 pm
Posts: 7307

socrates wrote:
I suspect Man City will appeal this ban and that any ban will not come into force until the outcome of any appeal, which with the lawyers they have will probably see the ban lifted or significantly reduced. I doubt that any appeal and subsequent court hearings etc will be concluded by the start of next season anyway so it may well be that 5th place this season does not give CL qualification next season because City cannot be kicked out until any appeal is concluded. Having said that I think Chelsea's transfer ban remained in place despite an ongoing appeal. I'm not sure what the PL will do in this situation.

If the appeal is lost and a substantial breach of Financial Fair Play Rules is proven then does that mean that City's PL titles and cup wins etc are taken away? If not then why not.......they will have cheated to win them after all?

Morning Soc,

City have already announced that they are appealing it. They effectively said they were expecting it. I've no idea how long the appeal will take and I think you make a good point in terms of the uncertainty of what will happen if it is not concluded by season's end.

If UEFA upheld it and then City won the appeal but had missed out on qualification you could see an absolutely huge compensation heading their way. And would they then have to deal with the ramifications of a replacement team participating in a competition they should not have qualified for.

I don't believe it is right for the 5th place team to qualify and I'm not sure UEFA will do that.

_________________
"I just kept going pretty lively. Them killers wasn't too healthy company."


 Profile  
 
 
Post #517918  Posted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:29 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:22 pm
Posts: 18383

dec wrote:
socrates wrote:
I suspect Man City will appeal this ban and that any ban will not come into force until the outcome of any appeal, which with the lawyers they have will probably see the ban lifted or significantly reduced. I doubt that any appeal and subsequent court hearings etc will be concluded by the start of next season anyway so it may well be that 5th place this season does not give CL qualification next season because City cannot be kicked out until any appeal is concluded. Having said that I think Chelsea's transfer ban remained in place despite an ongoing appeal. I'm not sure what the PL will do in this situation.

If the appeal is lost and a substantial breach of Financial Fair Play Rules is proven then does that mean that City's PL titles and cup wins etc are taken away? If not then why not.......they will have cheated to win them after all?

Morning Soc,

City have already announced that they are appealing it. They effectively said they were expecting it. I've no idea how long the appeal will take and I think you make a good point in terms of the uncertainty of what will happen if it is not concluded by season's end.

If UEFA upheld it and then City won the appeal but had missed out on qualification you could see an absolutely huge compensation heading their way. And would they then have to deal with the ramifications of a replacement team participating in a competition they should not have qualified for.

I don't believe it is right for the 5th place team to qualify and I'm not sure UEFA will do that.


Hi Dec,

I've read two contrasting articles about the City ban today, one saying they cheated and deserve everything they get and another saying that FFP is just a mechanism dreamt up by the elite clubs to maintain their elite status.

I can kind of see both sides.

If City attempted to circumnavigate the rules then of course they deserve to be banned, on the other hand is FFP really a mechanism to level the playing field or just to stop smaller clubs being able to compete with the top clubs financially?.

If Norwich, for example, were taken over by a megarich consortium who wanted to take them to the top, should they really be stifled by spending rules providing the money does not come from dubious sources and they do not incur any debt?

I think it's an interesting dilemma.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #517919  Posted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:09 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:52 pm
Posts: 13061

socrates wrote:
dec wrote:
Morning Soc,

City have already announced that they are appealing it. They effectively said they were expecting it. I've no idea how long the appeal will take and I think you make a good point in terms of the uncertainty of what will happen if it is not concluded by season's end.

If UEFA upheld it and then City won the appeal but had missed out on qualification you could see an absolutely huge compensation heading their way. And would they then have to deal with the ramifications of a replacement team participating in a competition they should not have qualified for.

I don't believe it is right for the 5th place team to qualify and I'm not sure UEFA will do that.


Hi Dec,

I've read two contrasting articles about the City ban today, one saying they cheated and deserve everything they get and another saying that FFP is just a mechanism dreamt up by the elite clubs to maintain their elite status.

I can kind of see both sides.

If City attempted to circumnavigate the rules then of course they deserve to be banned, on the other hand is FFP really a mechanism to level the playing field or just to stop smaller clubs being able to compete with the top clubs financially?.

If Norwich, for example, were taken over by a megarich consortium who wanted to take them to the top, should they really be stifled by spending rules providing the money does not come from dubious sources and they do not incur any debt?

I think it's an interesting dilemma.

Morning Soc.

The main protagonists in bringing this complaint were Barca and Madrid. They just want their power to remain unabated. Hypocritical IMO seeing as Madrid were essentially bailed out of financial trouble by the Spanish Government not so long ago.

I'm all for the upholding of the FFP principal as long as it's consistant and applied evenly across all teams. It would appear it's not yet.

_________________
There's a man who's been out sailing in a decade full of dreams


 Profile  
 
 
Post #517920  Posted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:51 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:30 pm
Posts: 7307

As we all know, everything changed with Abramovic. I would have been completely behind FFP for a long time but at this stage I don't really care anymore.

FFP is not about fairness. Its stated purpose is to prevent clubs from putting themselves in a perilous financial position as Leeds once did. Man City don't fall into that category.

It isn't about the integrity of the sport and realistically there is very little integrity left in football anyway.
It's just all about money.

_________________
"I just kept going pretty lively. Them killers wasn't too healthy company."


 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
     [ 518455 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12945, 12946, 12947, 12948, 12949, 12950, 12951 ... 12962  Next

All times are UTC

Gooners Online - Click to see what Everyones Doing

Colour Key:  Visited Profile    Members Profile      Admin

Get Latest Post

Users browsing this forum: Bernard, bromley gooner, Decaf, warrior and 4 guests


Search for:

Go to Top

Powered by php BB © 1993 - 2018