Fixtures Tuesday July 16th - Colorado Rapids - Dick's Sporting Goods Park - Friendly - 1:00 Pm

Kick-Off

       Injuries                    Steve Gleiber



Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:00 pm

All times are UTC


  


Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: warrior and 6 guests

 
Post #507601  Posted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:23 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:58 am
Posts: 27636

We have/will clear a lot of money off the books. So, its official then? Our first two signings? Praet and Andersen?

https://talksport.com/football/555417/a ... 1560002972


 Profile  
 
 
Post #507602  Posted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:27 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 14612

So after benching Ospina when he reached 24 games, 1 short of the compulsory purchase clause, Napoli are now arguing over the £3.5m fee. Just put Ospina up for general sale to all clubs, he’s only 30, young for a GK, international Gak, vast experience, surely we can get more than £3.5m for him


 Profile  
 
 
Post #507603  Posted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:42 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:58 am
Posts: 27636

Rich wrote:
So after benching Ospina when he reached 24 games, 1 short of the compulsory purchase clause, Napoli are now arguing over the £3.5m fee. Just put Ospina up for general sale to all clubs, he’s only 30, young for a GK, international Gak, vast experience, surely we can get more than £3.5m for him


Agreed. Let's see what the market will pay. We should have been on top of that once we saw he was stopped at 24 games and ask Napoli what are their intentions. We could have lined up buyers. Maybe we have but this is Arsenal. I don't put anything past us in terms of competence n transfer matters.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #507604  Posted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:58 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:02 pm
Posts: 10477

Rich wrote:
So after benching Ospina when he reached 24 games, 1 short of the compulsory purchase clause, Napoli are now arguing over the £3.5m fee. Just put Ospina up for general sale to all clubs, he’s only 30, young for a GK, international Gak, vast experience, surely we can get more than £3.5m for him
30 year old international keeper.

That’s ridiculous. He’s got to be worth 6-7 million in the current market surely.

_________________
A manager is a guide. He takes a group of people and says, 'With you I can make us a success; I can show you the way.
Arsene Wenger


 Profile  
 
 
Post #507605  Posted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:04 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:02 pm
Posts: 6523

TOP GUN wrote:
Rich wrote:
So after benching Ospina when he reached 24 games, 1 short of the compulsory purchase clause, Napoli are now arguing over the £3.5m fee. Just put Ospina up for general sale to all clubs, he’s only 30, young for a GK, international Gak, vast experience, surely we can get more than £3.5m for him
30 year old international keeper.

That’s ridiculous. He’s got to be worth 6-7 million in the current market surely.


Trouble is he's *%^@.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #507606  Posted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:59 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:02 am
Posts: 1453
Location: Liverpool/Caernarfon

DHD wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
30 year old international keeper.

That’s ridiculous. He’s got to be worth 6-7 million in the current market surely.


Trouble is he's *%^@.


Bit of a stumbling block.

Literally (or is it figuratively?).

_________________
Gorau chwarae cyd chwarae


 Profile  
 
 
Post #507607  Posted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:49 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 14612

Fixtures out tomorrow. Always see some leaked first day fixtures, one from The Secret Footballer has us away to Palace on the first day


 Profile  
 
 
Post #507608  Posted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:58 am
Posts: 27636

What games do you look for first? For me, I start with Tottenham and then Man Utd in the old days but these days Tottenham first, then Chelsea and Man Utd. City? Doesn't really matter. They are so much farther ahead of us, it doesn't matter.
I do look for what game we have preceding Tottenham, Chelsea and Man Utd. We always seem to catch Man Utd after a European match. Or so it seems.

I'm also getting a bit more optimistic about the season judging by who we are signing and heavily linked to. I hope I'm not setting myself up for disappointment.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #507609  Posted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:27 pm
Posts: 6967

DHD wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Trouble is he's *%^@.

Hit the nail on the head DHD. On the face of it I see Top Gun’s point. But as you imply, Ospina is utter garbage. I remember a friend of mine outside the forum once described him as ‘another Almunia in the making’. To me she just about summed him up.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #507610  Posted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:56 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:02 pm
Posts: 10477

Bernard wrote:
DHD wrote:

Hit the nail on the head DHD. On the face of it I see Top Gun’s point. But as you imply, Ospina is utter garbage. I remember a friend of mine outside the forum once described him as ‘another Almunia in the making’. To me she just about summed him up.

I’d take Ospina over Almunia any day.

He’s just a 2nd keeper that’s all, actually he’s one of the better 2nd keepers we have had. Remember Rhys Wilmot

Not good enough to play regularly for a side like ours but reasonable back up.

_________________
A manager is a guide. He takes a group of people and says, 'With you I can make us a success; I can show you the way.
Arsene Wenger


 Profile  
 
 
Post #507611  Posted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:27 pm
Posts: 6967

TOP GUN wrote:
He’s just a 2nd keeper that’s all, actually he’s one of the better 2nd keepers we have had. Remember Rhys Wilmot

Not good enough to play regularly for a side like ours but reasonable back up.

Not when our second keepers are first choice for three cup competitions, which are the only three competitions we’ll have any chance of winning next season. Wilmot wasn’t first choice for anything. Get rid of Ospina, he’s rubbish.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #507612  Posted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:02 pm
Posts: 10477

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
He’s just a 2nd keeper that’s all, actually he’s one of the better 2nd keepers we have had. Remember Rhys Wilmot

Not good enough to play regularly for a side like ours but reasonable back up.

Not when our second keepers are first choice for three cup competitions, which are the only three competitions we’ll have any chance of winning next season. .


Well that’s just a stupid decision and rule we make

Rotate a bit but my goodness you shouldnt change your defenders or keepers for key games

_________________
A manager is a guide. He takes a group of people and says, 'With you I can make us a success; I can show you the way.
Arsene Wenger


 Profile  
 
 
Post #507613  Posted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:27 pm
Posts: 6967

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Not when our second keepers are first choice for three cup competitions, which are the only three competitions we’ll have any chance of winning next season. .

Well that’s just a stupid decision and rule we make

Rotate a bit but my goodness you shouldnt change your defenders or keepers for key games

Stupid decision or not it’s what Arsenal do, and have done for some years now. It’ll mean Ospina being in goal for the only competitions we have a realistic chance of winning. I don’t want that because he’s not good enough. My vote is get rid of him.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #507614  Posted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:20 am
Posts: 8756

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Well that’s just a stupid decision and rule we make

Rotate a bit but my goodness you shouldnt change your defenders or keepers for key games

Stupid decision or not it’s what Arsenal do, and have done for some years now. It’ll mean Ospina being in goal for the only competitions we have a realistic chance of winning. I don’t want that because he’s not good enough. My vote is get rid of him.


Don't think Ospina wants to come back either. If Napoli is the only club interested in him, just let him go for whatever fee we can get.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #507615  Posted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:27 pm
Posts: 6967

Goonie wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Stupid decision or not it’s what Arsenal do, and have done for some years now. It’ll mean Ospina being in goal for the only competitions we have a realistic chance of winning. I don’t want that because he’s not good enough. My vote is get rid of him.

Don't think Ospina wants to come back either. If Napoli is the only club interested in him, just let him go for whatever fee we can get.

That’s my attitude. Get rid of him. It’s noticeable Napoli dropped him to stop him reaching the number of appearances that would have compelled them to buy him (I thought someone said words to that effect earlier). So they can’t rate him that highly.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #507616  Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:57 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:58 am
Posts: 27636

Anyone thinking of buying a pair or would wear it?


Attachments:

 Profile  
 
 
Post #507617  Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:37 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:02 pm
Posts: 10477

Bernard wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Well that’s just a stupid decision and rule we make

Rotate a bit but my goodness you shouldnt change your defenders or keepers for key games

Stupid decision or not it’s what Arsenal do, and have done for some years now. It’ll mean Ospina being in goal for the only competitions we have a realistic chance of winning. I don’t want that because he’s not good enough. My vote is get rid of him.

By all means get rid but Personally I’d try Martinez for a season.

We will end up paying a lot more than 2.5 million for a reserve keeper Ospina will leave for and we are desperate for more outfield players.

Papers speculating this morning saying Torreira wants to leave as he hasn’t settled in England, he strikes me as a Reyes type player who won’t hang around a lot but I hope he stays

_________________
A manager is a guide. He takes a group of people and says, 'With you I can make us a success; I can show you the way.
Arsene Wenger


 Profile  
 
 
Post #507618  Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:38 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:02 pm
Posts: 10477

AmericanGooner wrote:
Anyone thinking of buying a pair or would wear it?

Yep these bad boys will have the hot chicks hovering around you like flies to manure

_________________
A manager is a guide. He takes a group of people and says, 'With you I can make us a success; I can show you the way.
Arsene Wenger


 Profile  
 
 
Post #507619  Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:35 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 14612

TOP GUN wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Not when our second keepers are first choice for three cup competitions, which are the only three competitions we’ll have any chance of winning next season. .


Well that’s just a stupid decision and rule we make

Rotate a bit but my goodness you shouldnt change your defenders or keepers for key games

I'd play the second GK for the league cup and FA cup if we draw an 'easy team' and for the Europa group stages. For all other games get Leno in. Not that Čech let us down in the Europa but Kepa played for Chelsea in the final and we don't have a 2nd choice GK as good as Čech this year (or it would be silly to waste some of our small budget trying to buy a back up GK as good as Čech). Given how many positions we need to buy for a back-up GK may have to be the position where we rely on Martinez and keep our fingers crossed Leno stays fit all season. He has a higher probability of doing that than any other outfield player


 Profile  
 
 
Post #507620  Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:37 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 14612

A few teams sniffing around Lovren - Liverpool immediately put a £25m asking price on him. he's 29 and has been ok but makes errors. We sold Gabriel for £10m.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #507621  Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:39 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 14612

VAR is going to have a massive affect on the number of penalties given in the prem next year. We are awful at giving away penalties, I'm sure we've had the league highest total for the last 3 years. Mustaif, Sokratis, Xhaka, AMN all prone to rash challenges in the box. We need to sort this out n ext year or I can see us conceding 10+ penalties for the season.

Maybe, just maybe Lacazette with the help of VAR might actually start getting some penalties, he must have been fouled in the box 8-10 times last year with nothing given.

We need to be streetwise and totally play the system, get in the box more, dribble at people, chip the ball at any outstretched hand. Play for the opportunity of everything having to go to VAR


 Profile  
 
 
Post #507622  Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:43 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:22 pm
Posts: 17868

Rich wrote:
A few teams sniffing around Lovren - Liverpool immediately put a £25m asking price on him. he's 29 and has been ok but makes errors. We sold Gabriel for £10m.


I see talk of us selling Cahmbers for £12m.

Now, I accept he's no Kante but by all accounts he was one of the better defensive midfielders in the PL last season and he's also young and english. Surely there must be mid to lower PL sides who would pay £15m+ for him?


 Profile  
 
 
Post #507623  Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:45 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:22 pm
Posts: 17868

We are being linked with a lot of young and quite exciting talents, which is great, but you do feel we need to get deals done and dusted before the monied clubs arrive on the scene. Or are we simply going to wait until everyone else has done their business and pick the bones out of what is left?


 Profile  
 
 
Post #507624  Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:53 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:46 pm
Posts: 2467

AmericanGooner wrote:
Anyone thinking of buying a pair or would wear it?



They are hideous enough already even without the added wheel under the heel


 Profile  
 
 
Post #507625  Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:08 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:46 pm
Posts: 2467

I am finding it hard to get interested in all the transfer rumours. It feels as if our stock has fallen to such an extent where for the first time (for me anyway) we just feel like an unambitious Europa League club with a proud history. Without a change of owner who actively plans and invests in Arsenal so we can challenge Europe's elite, we are reliant on finding a manager who can perform minor miracles.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #507626  Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:10 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:46 pm
Posts: 2467

Bernard: What was the atmosphere like in the Arsenal section in Baku?


 Profile  
 
 
Post #507627  Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:12 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:27 pm
Posts: 6967

Rich wrote:
We are awful at giving away penalties, I'm sure we've had the league highest total for the last 3 years. Mustaif, Sokratis, Xhaka, AMN all prone to rash challenges in the box.

Surprised you didn’t add Holding to your list. Didn’t he concede penalties against Palace and Tottenham last season?


 Profile  
 
 
Post #507628  Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:17 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:27 pm
Posts: 6967

Bored wrote:
Bernard: What was the atmosphere like in the Arsenal section in Baku?

Not that good and I’d say the same about the Chelsea section. But once we conceded the atmosphere practically became non-existent in our section and picked up in their’s.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #507629  Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:19 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:02 pm
Posts: 6523

Fixtures are out.

Away to Newcastle on 11th August - that's a Sunday. Anyone know why?

Then Burnley home, Liverpool away, Spurs home.

https://www.arsenal.com/news/well-visit-newcastle-opening-day


 Profile  
 
 
Post #507630  Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:24 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:27 pm
Posts: 6967

DHD wrote:
Fixtures are out.

Away to Newcastle on 11th August - that's a Sunday. Anyone know why?

Then Burnley home, Liverpool away, Spurs home.

https://www.arsenal.com/news/well-visit-newcastle-opening-day

Is it live on telly?


 Profile  
 
 
Post #507631  Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:29 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:02 pm
Posts: 6523

Bernard wrote:
DHD wrote:
Fixtures are out.

Away to Newcastle on 11th August - that's a Sunday. Anyone know why?

Then Burnley home, Liverpool away, Spurs home.

https://www.arsenal.com/news/well-visit-newcastle-opening-day

Is it live on telly?


TV fixtures haven't been announced yet, as far as I know.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #507632  Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:41 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:02 pm
Posts: 10477

Rich wrote:
VAR is going to have a massive affect on the number of penalties given in the prem next year. We are awful at giving away penalties, I'm sure we've had the league highest total for the last 3 years. Mustaif, Sokratis, Xhaka, AMN all prone to rash challenges in the box. We need to sort this out n ext year or I can see us conceding 10+ penalties for the season.

Maybe, just maybe Lacazette with the help of VAR might actually start getting some penalties, he must have been fouled in the box 8-10 times last year with nothing given.

We need to be streetwise and totally play the system, get in the box more, dribble at people, chip the ball at any outstretched hand. Play for the opportunity of everything having to go to VAR


Oh god yeah I forgot.

Can you imagine the diving and cheating that’s going to happen.

I do wonder if next season will be the one that kills the acceptance of VAR. everyone’s going to hate the arguments it creates

_________________
A manager is a guide. He takes a group of people and says, 'With you I can make us a success; I can show you the way.
Arsene Wenger


 Profile  
 
 
Post #507633  Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:58 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:02 pm
Posts: 10477

Bored wrote:
I am finding it hard to get interested in all the transfer rumours. It feels as if our stock has fallen to such an extent where for the first time (for me anyway) we just feel like an unambitious Europa League club with a proud history. Without a change of owner who actively plans and invests in Arsenal so we can challenge Europe's elite, we are reliant on finding a manager who can perform minor miracles.


I feel the same.

The only players we are getting linked with that really excite are Tierney and Ismailia Sarr who are both 21 have long futures in the game.

Getting linked to 26 year olds who play for Fiorentina and in China I’m not sure is the answer.

_________________
A manager is a guide. He takes a group of people and says, 'With you I can make us a success; I can show you the way.
Arsene Wenger


 Profile  
 
 
Post #507634  Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:19 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:04 am
Posts: 5345
Location: Townsville Australia

DHD wrote:
Fixtures are out.

Away to Newcastle on 11th August - that's a Sunday. Anyone know why?

Then Burnley home, Liverpool away, Spurs home.

https://www.arsenal.com/news/well-visit-newcastle-opening-day

So we could realistically have a DWLD and be 7 points behind the leader after 4 matches. Or 4 straight Wins and lead the table with a few hard games played already.

_________________
If this policy does not deliver then I would say we have to change it.
AW 150810


 Profile  
 
 
Post #507635  Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:08 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:58 am
Posts: 27636

DHD wrote:
Fixtures are out.

Away to Newcastle on 11th August - that's a Sunday. Anyone know why?

Then Burnley home, Liverpool away, Spurs home.

https://www.arsenal.com/news/well-visit-newcastle-opening-day


I always look at the last 4 or 5 matches and its not an easy run in to the end of the season. If we are on the cusp again its going to be very tough.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #507636  Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:24 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:31 pm
Posts: 2883
Location: Waltham Abbey, Essex

DHD wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Is it live on telly?


TV fixtures haven't been announced yet, as far as I know.

yes


 Profile  
 
 
Post #507637  Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:43 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:20 am
Posts: 8756

Emmanuel Dennis? Interesting. 21 already so for the first team I guess.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #507638  Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:44 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 14612

https://www.football365.com/news/liverp ... fee-report

If Fekir is available for 15m euros then about 20 teams are going to be in for him, soon enough the fee will rise to well over £30m probably closer to £40-50m. I just cant see how Liverpool would get a free run at him for £15m


 Profile  
 
 
Post #507639  Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:51 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 14612

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:
We are awful at giving away penalties, I'm sure we've had the league highest total for the last 3 years. Mustafi, Sokratis, Xhaka, AMN all prone to rash challenges in the box.

Surprised you didn’t add Holding to your list. Didn’t he concede penalties against Palace and Tottenham last season?

True - I think his long absence made me forget him. At least we have a GK who doesn't come rushing and sliding out at every opportunity. It seems like Szczesny and Almunia were giving away pens every week with their style of keeping!


 Profile  
 
 
Post #507640  Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:04 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:20 am
Posts: 8756

Rich wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Surprised you didn’t add Holding to your list. Didn’t he concede penalties against Palace and Tottenham last season?

True - I think his long absence made me forget him. At least we have a GK who doesn't come rushing and sliding out at every opportunity. It seems like Szczesny and Almunia were giving away pens every week with their style of keeping!

We are supposedly close to signing another German GK - Schubert. So none of Martinez, Iliev and Macey good enough to be back up to Leno?


 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
     [ 507712 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12688, 12689, 12690, 12691, 12692, 12693  Next

All times are UTC

Gooners Online - Click to see what Everyones Doing

Colour Key:  Visited Profile    Members Profile      Admin

Get Latest Post

Users browsing this forum: warrior and 6 guests


Search for:

Go to Top

Powered by php BB © 1993 - 2018