Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:00 am

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], warrior and 140 guests

Post #496201  Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:39 am 

High wages not withstanding, I was for keeping Ramsey. Juve are interested for a reason. He's dynamic.

Post #496202  Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:22 am 

Goonie wrote:
dec wrote:
Completely agree. Bellerin is a good player and the least of our worries. Left back, central defence amd central midfield are all in need of investment. If we want to push the boat out on a young player, I'd like to see us go for Declan Rice. He would cost a fortune but can play centre half and midfield. Has serious potential.

It would only make sense to get Bissaka for 40m if Bellerin is sold for the same or more amount. .

I think this season has shown in defence you need 2 quality players for each major defensive position. If you get a long term injury in midfield it’s bad but if you get one in defence it’s a disaster. We’ve had 2 this season and I think if Bellerin and Holding hadn’t got injured top 4 would virtually be home and hosed for us which is incredible to think.

Just think back to the invincibles side where we had clichy as back up to cole and for Lauren if he got injured we moved an in form toure to right back. You need depth and quality in defence otherwise it costs you dearly.

The issue is that Bellerin has a major major injury and the type you can’t be rushed back from. He’s been blogging about it and it sounds a proper recovery is required.

I think the club may prioritise a right back and try and get by another season with Monreal and Kolasinac.

Post #496203  Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:55 am 

Summer outs to raise funds or on a free should be/are
Čech, Ramsey, Welbeck, Lichtsteiner - all £0. possibly add in Monreal maybe
Mustafi (£20m?), elneny (£10m?), Ospina(£4m)
Also Bennecar has either a recall clause or a % sell on that could net another £3m
If, a big if, we can raise nearly £50m in sales and get champions league there is no reason any new players can have a £100m+ budget

New GK (or make Martinez the No.2....if we go new then Pope is being mentioned for £10m and Martinez could be sold for £5m
New LB who can play LB in a back 4
Back up RB
AMN can also cover both positions as full back and wing back
New starting CB - big chunk of the budget here
New CM to replace Ramsey
New winger to replace Welbeck, ideally someone who is comfortable on the right and left
Possibly Nelsen coming back to play right wing
Back up striker
Probably need to spend at least £60m on the CB and CM which doesn’t leave huge amounts for GK, LB, RB, wing, striker

Post #496204  Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:52 am 

Rich wrote:
Also Bennecar has either a recall clause or a % sell on that could net another £3m
If, a big if, we can raise nearly £50m in sales and get champions league there is no reason any new players can have a £100m+ budget

New GK (or make Martinez the No.2....if we go new then Pope is being mentioned for £10m and Martinez could be sold for £5m
Back up RB
New CM to replace Ramsey
New winger to replace Welbeck, ideally someone who is comfortable on the right and left
Back up striker
Probably need to spend at least £60m on the CB and CM which doesn’t leave huge amounts for GK, LB, RB, wing, striker

Also this doesn’t cover the Özil dilemma. Should we sell or keep him. If Ramsey and Özil went at the same time we would need to bring in a serious ball player and creative force to the side. This would be expensive.

I don’t think we will get a new striker, maybe a winger who can fill in up front as a last resort.

I think expecting any more new signings more than maybe 1 centre half, 1 fullback and a wideman is probably ambitious even if we reach champions league.

This summer will be the most interesting one for many seasons as I can’t recall a summer when there was so many question marks over our players

Post #496205  Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:21 am 

For Bernard, and several other forumites still traumatised by Swindon's 1969 League Cup final win, I just wanted to warn you that there's going to be a cartoon on The Guardian website tomorrow to 'celebrate' the 50th anniversary of the event. Seek counselling immediately...

Post #496206  Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:26 am 

Rich wrote:
Wan-Bissaka is having a good season, but replacing Belelrin with him is crazy. Wan Bissaka has 1 season in the prem, in a team in the bottom half. Belle fin has multiple seasons for a top team and playing in Europe...
Couldn't agree more. A host of top clubs would take Bellerin if we made him available. Twenty-four tomorrow, and with good luck, all his best years to come.

Post #496207  Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:28 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Just watching the end of the Betis Barca game. Betis score to make it 3-1 and the comms start carrying on about a Betis comeback and to make it 3-3 they have plenty of time. Couple of minutes later Messi does an absolute sublime chip to score and complete his hattrick 1-4. Absolute top goal.
A wonderful goal greeted with applause from the home fans.

Post #496208  Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:43 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Just think back to the invincibles side where we had clichy as back up to cole and for Lauren if he got injured we moved an in form toure to right back. You need depth and quality in defence otherwise it costs you dearly...
Yes Kolo was a key figure in that incredible achievement. However, alhough he is regarded by some as a bit of a joke, Cygan also did his bit that season - 10 full appearances and 8 as sub in the Invincible's league games. On the pitch for almost half the matches - he deserved his medal.

Post #496209  Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:11 am 

mcquilkie wrote:
Swindon's 1969 League Cup final win...
I privately published a book recently in which I wrote something which may ring a few bells.

"March 1969 was a month to remember... Henry Cooper suffered the lowest blow of his career when defending his European heavyweight title in Italy. A punch from opponent Piero Tomasoni landed seven inches below his navel and put three dents in the aluminium cup covering his genitals. Arsenal fan Henry kept it as a souvenir. Henry had his cup, but not so Arsenal who were sensationally beaten by Third Division Swindon Town at Wembley. Of the many bad memories of what John Sowman calls ‘The Long Sleep’, that defeat shouts the loudest and the longest...On the Ides of March Swindon won 3-1 after extra-time. They opened the scoring with a goal made by Arsenal. A mix-up between Ure and Wilson led to the ball reaching Roger Smart, who was tackled by Simpson. A ricochet slowly crossed the line past Wilson who slipped as he went for it. Gould scored a brave headed equaliser three minutes from the end of normal time. In extra time, while others fell about in the gluepot of a goalmouth, Don Rogers kept his balance to prod home Swindon’s second goal. He scored a third on the break as Arsenal chased upfield for an equaliser. Our hearts hit the earth as he rounded Wilson and calmly placed the ball in the net.

Few neutrals were interested in excusing Arsenal, yet there were a number of reasons for the embarrassing defeat. Swindon had an ally in influenza. The virus left many of Mee’s team less than fully fit... The dreadful pitch was a definite factor... if heavy rain persisted the match could be the first Wembley final to be called off. Arsenal’s appeals against the state of the pitch, in advance and during the game, fell on deaf ears. With a 100,000 crowd due in the stadium it was perhaps not surprising the authorities stuck to their plans, albeit right up to kick-off huge industrial blowers were used to try to mitigate the worst of the water...

However, nothing should detract from Swindon Town’s remarkable victory. They did not put in place any special plans for their more famous opponents, other than to change their normal training routine with a walk along the prom at Bournemouth. They were generally unfancied to upset Arsenal, and Desmond Hackett’s preview in the Daily Express was condescending and typical of the press punditry. ‘If Arsenal cannot administer a severe Soccer spanking to Swindon Town, from the Third Division, then they should add a permanent black edge to their customary red and white kit...this is rather like Arkle at his peerless best running against game selling platers...I do not wish to be unsympathetic to this warm-hearted, happy outfit from Wiltshire; nor would I rate them as yokels coming up to they Lunnon to lose their little lot on the three-card trick.’

The Robins rode their luck on the day – The Gunners struck the woodwork six times – but Swindon’s tactics were spot on. While Arsenal tried to work the ball through the sand, Swindon hit the ball long, reducing the running they had to do. By the end of normal time Arsenal were physically shattered. In extra-time they tried to come at Swindon again, only for Swindon to play on the break, which they did with the decisive third goal. Howe later took the blame for the defeat because he asked his team to attack in extra time with ailing lungs rather than settle for a draw and a replay. The main reason for Swindon’s win was Peter Downsborough’s performance in goal...Anger was one ingredient in his man-of-the-match showing. He said ‘If I played well, that’s my job, but it was also Arsenal’s fault. They shouldn’t have roughed me up. I get upset when anybody fouls me. After Bobby Gould hit me twice I told myself I’d rather die than let them score.’

The loss was deeply felt in the Arsenal camp. Skipper McClintock later wrote ‘I sat down for about fifteen minutes, saying nothing and trying to take it in. I can’t describe how I felt. It was a moment that I hope I’ll never experience again. Then the reporters came in wanting answers to questions. I couldn’t face them and I went in the bath and stayed there till they went. It is hard to take. The first, second and third times was bad enough. This time it is just murderous.’ Peter Storey recalled McClintock being so stunned by defeat he had to be reclaimed after wandering across the pitch, in a daze, with the post-match band of musicians. Bob Wilson remembers the captain getting hit on the head by the trombonists’ instrument, but not before he had thrown his runners-up medal into the Wembley mud.

Peter Storey admitted ‘I could happily have strangled Bob Wilson and Ian Ure when Swindon’s first goal went in. It was an absolute joke, an almighty cock-up, with our centre half and goalkeeper freezing over a back-pass, hesitating like tarts in a trance over who should take charge of the situation on the treacherous surface of mud and sand.’.. Manager Mee was brief and clear. ‘I said before the game that I would be sick if we lost. I am sick. There is nothing else to add.’..

For many Arsenal fans the enormity of the defeat was as immeasurable as the pleasure it gave to the supporters of Tottenham. Chelsea and West Ham. You had to be around then to experience the embarrassment and the pain. It was the climax in a grand ascent of calamities since 1953 that had taken in Norwich, Northampton, Rotherham and Peterborough. The Swindon defeat was a wound rather than an ache, and Ure and Wilson’s error, once seen, could not be dimmed from the mind. It was both a traumatic and fascinating moment. When Wojciech Szczęsny and Laurent Koscielny similarly ballsed it up in the 2011 League Cup final against Birmingham City, thousands of Arsenal fans of a certain age were immediately transported back in time. As fine a defender as he was, to this day Ure will forever be remembered for his part in Swindon’s first goal."

Post #496210  Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:42 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
mcquilkie wrote:
Swindon's 1969 League Cup final win...
I privately published a book recently in which I wrote something which may ring a few bells.

"March 1969 was a month to remember... Ure will forever be remembered for his part in Swindon's first goal."

Excellent summary there, OMOH. As for poor old Ian Ure, as you probably recall he managed an almost-identikit effort against Leeds a few weeks later:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7t4lMhgeblE#t=1m35s

Post #496211  Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:46 am 

grantyboy wrote:
grantyboy wrote:

Murderous pricks and to top it, have just put NZ on the world map for retaliation from equally stupid, murderous pricks. So sad.

and I fail to see why anyone outside the military should be able to own any kind of automatic rifle/pistol or large magazines of bullets.
Outlaw it and if someone is caught in possession then off to jail for intent to murder, no questions asked. Almost certain that this would reduce the likelihood.

Agreed. Make owning, let alone using, one of those things a terrorist act. (In the US I presume that would mean rendition to somewhere in Central Asia where they are not too bothered with due process or gentle forms of interrogation, but that this another issue).

Post #496212  Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:53 am 

mcquilkie wrote:
For Bernard, and several other forumites still traumatised by Swindon's 1969 League Cup final win, I just wanted to warn you that there's going to be a cartoon on The Guardian website tomorrow to 'celebrate' the 50th anniversary of the event. Seek counselling immediately...

Thanks. I'll be avoiding the Guardian website tomorrow like the plague. I still dislike Swindon to this day because of that result. Not enough to follow their results and if they played Manchester United, Tottenham, Chelsea or Liverpool, I would want them to win.

But if I hear on the radio or somewhere that they've lost or preferably been relegated, my immediate reaction is 'good'. It must presumably be explained by my youth at the time because I don't feel the same way about, for example, Luton or Birmingham.

Post #496213  Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:21 pm 

mcquilkie wrote:
...As for poor old Ian Ure, as you probably recall he managed an almost-identikit effort against Leeds a few weeks later:
And we couldn't blame the pitch for that one!

Post #496214  Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:44 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Just think back to the invincibles side where we had clichy as back up to cole and for Lauren if he got injured we moved an in form toure to right back. You need depth and quality in defence otherwise it costs you dearly...
Yes Kolo was a key figure in that incredible achievement. However, alhough he is regarded by some as a bit of a joke, Cygan also did his bit that season - 10 full appearances and 8 as sub in the Invincible's league games. On the pitch for almost half the matches - he deserved his medal.

Totally agree. He was far from a banter centre half like Squilachi or Stephanovs, was called on frequently and rarely let us down.

Toure was sensational thinking back that season, new to centre half and very good at right back when asked to play there.

Post #496215  Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:50 pm 

Man Utd coming back down to earth
I wonder how OGS will handle this pressure?
Wolves are playing well and hopefully Emery and the squad don't go there unfocused because its mon top 6 side.
We have to play with the same intensity we would vs a top 6 side to get a win..or even a result.

Post #496216  Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:36 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
mcquilkie wrote:
...As for poor old Ian Ure, as you probably recall he managed an almost-identikit effort against Leeds a few weeks later:

The article did say about Ian Ure "As fine a defender as he was..." To be honest, that's how I recall him, not bad at all despite being mainly remembered for the Swindon balls up and then, again with Bob Wilson, them doing the Leeds one.

I prefer to remember Ure for Quiz Ball. He was Beckenbauer-ish on that.

Post #496217  Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:58 pm 

Bernard wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:

The article did say about Ian Ure "As fine a defender as he was..." To be honest, that's how I recall him, not bad at all despite being mainly remembered for the Swindon balls up and then, again with Bob Wilson, them doing the Leeds one.

The Guardian cartoonist, David Squires, is a Swindon fan and a friend of mine, and when he mentioned he was doing a 50th-anniversary cartoon I let him know about Quiz Ball. David is only in his 40s, so, sadly, it was before his time and he wasn't aware of the programme. As a result, I suspect that David hasn't mentioned Ian Ure's mesmerising Quiz Ball skills as a counterpoint to the Roger Smart debacle. Maybe on the 60th anniversary...

Post #496218  Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:23 pm 

mcquilkie wrote:
Bernard wrote:

The Guardian cartoonist, David Squires, is a Swindon fan and a friend of mine, and when he mentioned he was doing a 50th-anniversary cartoon I let him know about Quiz Ball. David is only in his 40s, so, sadly, it was before his time and he wasn't aware of the programme. As a result, I suspect that David hasn't mentioned Ian Ure's mesmerising Quiz Ball skills as a counterpoint to the Roger Smart debacle. Maybe on the 60th anniversary...

The Big Match showed that third goal for ages....with....(and I wish I could forget it) ....Brian Moore’s deadly accompanying commentary …”and that is that” ....
Bobby Gould’s smile when he scored was great though....about the only good thing about the whole lousy day. F...horse of the year show.

Post #496219  Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:47 pm 

So Overmars now seemingly out of the running, having signed a new 4-year contract at Ajax, Raul could end up with a lot of egg on his face after pushing Mislintat out it seems we aren't getting either of the front-runners, over to you Raul... (Kroenke's next fall guy).

Post #496220  Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:23 pm 

Wilts-Gooner wrote:
So Overmars now seemingly out of the running, having signed a new 4-year contract at Ajax, Raul could end up with a lot of egg on his face after pushing Mislintat out it seems we aren't getting either of the front-runners, over to you Raul... (Kroenke's next fall guy).

Wenger's available... :1laughter:

Post #496221  Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:16 pm 

Rich wrote:

Back up RB
New CM to replace Ramsey
Back up striker

As things stand with the assumption the out of contract players would all leave... Jenkinson and Chambers probably surplus as well.

GK: Leno
Defenders: Bellerin, Sokratis, Koscielny, Monreal, Mustafi, Mavropanos, Holding, Kolasinac
Midfielders: Xhaka, Torreira, Guendouzi
Attacking mids: Mhkitaryan, Iwobi, Özil
Forwards: Aubameyang, Lacazette
Squaddies: Martinez, AMN

Internal solutions? Nelson, Willock, Emile Smith Rowe and Nketiah should be good enough to be squaddies... offer new contract to Welbeck? Another GK would be nice but seems like we need another centre mid. Must make plans for Monreal and Koscielny's replacements as well.

Post #496222  Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:51 pm 

Goonie wrote:
Rich wrote:

Back up RB
New CM to replace Ramsey
Back up striker

As things stand with the assumption the out of contract players would all leave... Jenkinson and Chambers probably surplus as well.

Defenders: Bellerin, Sokratis, Koscielny, Monreal, Mustafi, Mavropanos, Holding, Kolasinac

Internal solutions? Nelson, Willock, Emile Smith Rowe and Nketiah should be good enough to be squaddies... offer new contract to Welbeck? Another GK would be nice but seems like we need another centre mid. Must make plans for Monreal and Koscielny's replacements as well.

Jenkinson will be with us till 2020 when his contract runs out. Literally no club will offer him the 45k he gets paid by us. It’s the reason we haven’t sold him yet.

Post #496223  Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:17 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Goonie wrote:

Jenkinson will be with us till 2020 when his contract runs out. Literally no club will offer him the 45k he gets paid by us. It’s the reason we haven’t sold him yet.

I forgot to include Elneny as well. Another under-utilised squaddie. Also seems like Denis Suarez hasn't impressed enough to earn a permanent move.

Post #496224  Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:17 am 

Bernard wrote:
Ian Ure was also ahead of his time in terms of his preparation. Influenced by the great Australian runner Herb Elliott, he was into eating all the right foods well before many other British players. When we signed him he was regarded as one of the world's best defenders, and he remains one of my favourites. I wrote this of him: 'I have to select a man who admitted in his autobiography that he only became a footballer because as an unemployed eighteen year-old he had nothing better to do! Ure’s resilient and self-sufficient character was born out of his working-class upbringing in Ayr. He was only fifteen when his father died, and he soon learned how to look after his family. He put the hours in to make himself a model professional player, and wanted others to respect his worth. He could be hard-nosed and as unflinching in his contract bargaining as he was in the tackle. Arsenal was always his team as a lad, so when he moved south from Dundee in 1963 Highbury was a natural home. Ure was tall and lean, and his head of hair, as white as gin, gave him a striking presence. He was always immaculately turned out and fastidious as his team mate Jim Furnell recalled. ‘He had new white laces in his sparkling boots, new studs and meticulously taped his shin guards on. The tapes had to be spot-on, all the same length. He’d try about six pairs of shorts on until he got it right. He was unbelievable. Then Frank McLintock would ruffle his hair up and he’d go mad. Frank did that once before a team photo and when Ian saw his hair was ruffed up he ripped the photo up!’ Some may remember Ian Ure as a perfect combination of imperfections, especially when his mistakes led to losses, but considering he often had scant supporting cover from his midfield or attacking colleagues, he was mostly magnificent. He is in my side alongside Simpson and Neill as a carver of meat for men.'

Post #496225  Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:21 am 

Met Ian Ure at my sister's wedding. Lovely bloke, very warm and friendly.

Post #496226  Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:19 am 

Goonie wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I forgot to include Elneny as well. Another under-utilised squaddie. Also seems like Denis Suarez hasn't impressed enough to earn a permanent move.

Suarez really hasn’t made much of an impression has he. I know he hasn’t started a game yet but in the minor cameos he’s made ive seen little to suggest he’s of the required level.

Post #496227  Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:44 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Ian Ure was also ahead of his time in terms of his preparation. Influenced by the great Australian runner Herb Elliott, he was into eating all the right foods well before many other British players. When we signed him he was regarded as one of the world's best defenders, and he remains one of my favourites. I wrote this of him: 'I have to select a man who admitted in his autobiography that he only became a footballer because as an unemployed eighteen year-old he had nothing better to do! Ure’s resilient and self-sufficient character was born out of his working-class upbringing in Ayr. He was only fifteen when his father died, and he soon learned how to look after his family. He put the hours in to make himself a model professional player, and wanted others to respect his worth. He could be hard-nosed and as unflinching in his contract bargaining as he was in the tackle. Arsenal was always his team as a lad, so when he moved south from Dundee in 1963 Highbury was a natural home. Ure was tall and lean, and his head of hair, as white as gin, gave him a striking presence. He was always immaculately turned out and fastidious as his team mate Jim Furnell recalled. ‘He had new white laces in his sparkling boots, new studs and meticulously taped his shin guards on. The tapes had to be spot-on, all the same length. He’d try about six pairs of shorts on until he got it right. He was unbelievable. Then Frank McLintock would ruffle his hair up and he’d go mad. Frank did that once before a team photo and when Ian saw his hair was ruffed up he ripped the photo up!’ Some may remember Ian Ure as a perfect combination of imperfections, especially when his mistakes led to losses, but considering he often had scant supporting cover from his midfield or attacking colleagues, he was mostly magnificent. He is in my side alongside Simpson and Neill as a carver of meat for men.'

0MOH, I am impress with your writing style. I understand you self published and I congratulate you. Did u produce enough to market copies.

Post #496228  Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:57 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
Bernard wrote:
When we signed him he was regarded as one of the world's best defenders, and he remains one of my favourites.
Arsenal was always his team as a lad, so when he moved south from Dundee in 1963 Highbury was a natural home.
Some may remember Ian Ure as a perfect combination of imperfections, especially when his mistakes led to losses, but considering he often had scant supporting cover from his midfield or attacking colleagues, he was mostly magnificent.

Thoroughly enjoyed reading your post. I think Ian Ure is one of the numerous Arsenal players whose reputation has little or no relationship with his actual capability as a player. Grossly under-rated.

Didn't know he was an Arsenal fan as a kid. My first assumption is always that Scottish football fans support either Rangers or Celtic. Where did you hear that? As a kid I read his autobiography Ure's Truly, but I don't remember it being in that.

Post #496229  Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:00 pm 

Bernard, do not click on this link. As forewarned, here's the Guardian's tribute to Swindon's win in '69...

https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng ... t-in-sport

Post #496230  Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:00 pm 

Darren wrote:

Why did he go to your sister's wedding? Guest of Frank?

Post #496231  Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:01 pm 

mcquilkie wrote:
Bernard, do not click on this link. As forewarned, here's the Guardian's tribute to Swindon's win in '69...

https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng ... t-in-sport

Thanks for the warning.

Post #496232  Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:24 pm 

Goonie wrote:
Rich wrote:

Back up RB
New CM to replace Ramsey
Back up striker

And if possible get Mustafi out the door. Although who'd have him I'm not sure.

Post #496233  Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:35 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Darren wrote:

Why did he go to your sister's wedding? Guest of Frank?

Yes. Loads of ex-players were there.

Post #496234  Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:35 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
Goonie wrote:

Suarez really hasn’t made much of an impression has he. I know he hasn’t started a game yet but in the minor cameos he’s made ive seen little to suggest he’s of the required level.

It will be underwhelming if he's Ramsey's replacement. Unless Emery has seen something we haven't... would love to see us get a powerful box-to-box midfielder.

Post #496235  Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:44 pm 

tomc wrote:
Goonie wrote:

And if possible get Mustafi out the door. Although who'd have him I'm not sure.

Seems like we are stuck with Mustafi, Jenkinson, Chambers and Elneny plus Emery does not really fancy Özil. I suppose Mustafi will still be our third choice CB next season, and Jenkinson, Chambers and Elneny would either be sold or go on loan. Not sure how Özil will fit into Emery's plans next season.

Post #496236  Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:37 pm 

French Football has produced their list of the 50 greatest managers. It's not mine. There are two Arsenal managers in it. Chapman at 24, Wenger at 32. Can't work out why Klopp is as high as 27. Sure, he won a couple of Bundesliga titles at Dortmund, comfortably Germany's second biggest club who, not under Klopp, have won the Champions League. But he hasn't won any at Liverpool yet, and may not this year either.

I suspect Wenger would have come higher had he not hanged around with us for so long like a bad smell, damaging the club in the process.

I reckon any assessment of Wenger at Arsenal has to be considered in stages. I accept some will want to split these into shorter periods, but an obvious way of doing it was the Highbury and Emirates years. What a difference!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mirror ... 155314.amp

Post #496237  Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:13 am 

Bernard wrote:
French Football has produced their list of the 50 greatest managers. It's not mine. There are two Arsenal managers in it. Chapman at 24, Wenger at 32. Can't work out why Klopp is as high as 27. Sure, he won a couple of Bundesliga titles at Dortmund, comfortably Germany's second biggest club who, not under Klopp, have won the Champions League. But he hasn't won any at Liverpool yet, and may not this year either.

I suspect Wenger would have come higher had he not hanged around with us for so long like a bad smell, damaging the club in the process.

I reckon any assessment of Wenger at Arsenal has to be considered in stages. I accept some will want to split these into shorter periods, but an obvious way of doing it was the Highbury and Emirates years. What a difference!

So are u satisfied that Wenger was better than George Graham . Given amount of spending, other teams who were competitors at the time I am not sure. I know one thing I rank Clough ahead of Mourinho, Klopp and maybe even Ferguson.

Post #496238  Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:59 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Bernard wrote:

So are u satisfied that Wenger was better than George Graham . Given amount of spending, other teams who were competitors at the time I am not sure. I know one thing I rank Clough ahead of Mourinho, Klopp and maybe even Ferguson.

No I'm not convinced that Wenger should be higher than Graham, who isn't even in the top 50. I think Clough was brilliant at his peak, winning titles at relatively unfashionable clubs like Derby and Forest as well as two European Cups. But like Wenger he seriously outstayed his welcome, perhaps even more so, as he got Forest relegated.

Post #496239  Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:22 am 

Bernard wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

No I'm not convinced that Wenger should be higher than Graham, who isn't even in the top 50. I think Clough was brilliant at his peak, winning titles at relatively unfashionable clubs like Derby and Forest as well as two European Cups. But like Wenger he seriously outstayed his welcome, perhaps even more so, as he got Forest relegated.

That is true about overstaying their times and often the great managers fail to see that time has passed them by or they cannot motivate the same players time and again. I know these type of lists are the subjective opinions of a person or group of people who may not share my views or indeed life experience.

It is farcical for a person aged under 35 to pronounce whether Graham, Revie, Shankly or Clough (or whoever managed Argentina when Maradona played - imagine trying to manage him to get the best out of him) were better managers or poorer than those current managers who often have unlimited funds and don't have to get the best out of a sometimes very thin squad. I could probably manager Celtic/Juventus/Bayern/ Man City to a few wins in their leagues before I was found out. It does mean I am a good manager just someone with a lot of talent around me.

Post #496240  Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:02 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Bernard wrote:

That is true about overstaying their times and often the great managers fail to see that time has passed them by or they cannot motivate the same players time and again. I know these type of lists are the subjective opinions of a person or group of people who may not share my views or indeed life experience.

It is farcical for a person aged under 35 to pronounce whether Graham, Revie, Shankly or Clough (or whoever managed Argentina when Maradona played - imagine trying to manage him to get the best out of him) were better managers or poorer than those current managers who often have unlimited funds and don't have to get the best out of a sometimes very thin squad. I could probably manager Celtic/Juventus/Bayern/ Man City to a few wins in their leagues before I was found out. It does mean I am a good manager just someone with a lot of talent around me.

In my view one characteristic of true greatness is realising when your time is up. We've been discussing Wenger and Clough, and neither did. It seems that Ferguson did. Won the league in his final season, then retires.

Mourinho's an interesting case. Has the game passed him by, as it appears to eventually with most, if not all, managers. Or it it a third year syndrome with him? Unless I'm mistaken, he's never stopped in a job more than three years although he did have two separate spells at Chelsea. Does everyone get sick of him in year three?

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12403, 12404, 12405, 12406, 12407, 12408, 12409 ... 14269  Next