Fixtures Saturday April 20th - Wolves - Molineux Stadium - 7:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:44 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], dec, warrior and 189 guests

Post #488921  Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:23 am 

Daz wrote:
kiwipete wrote:
So rousing ...anything following 'Le Marsiellaise' sounds plodding and insipid.

Try listening to La Marseillaise, I think you might like it.

:laughing7: Now I know damn well there's other forumites who find Daz an insufferable , pretentious , mealy mouthed , verbose little poser who swallowed a dictionary at birth and has never done an honest day's work in his life

.... and to you I'd say ...... YOU ARE RIGHT

So I've used le instead of la ....... but in spite of being polar opposites ... I like the fairy flossed poofter

..Allons enfante de la Patrie .....

Post #488922  Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:25 am 

Bernard wrote:
kiwipete wrote:
and two ..... they have far and away the best national anthem .

I agree with you on this. In my view France easily have the best national anthem. There is another one I don't mind, but can't recall whose it is. Think it was a country not in the World Cup. USA perhaps? The British and German ones are both awful. I've tried to like the German one but just can't.

"The British" one Bernard? Now, now, stop being naughty.

Post #488923  Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:41 am 

john1 wrote:
Bernard wrote:
I agree with you on this. In my view France easily have the best national anthem. There is another one I don't mind, but can't recall whose it is. Think it was a country not in the World Cup. USA perhaps? The British and German ones are both awful. I've tried to like the German one but just can't.

Is it the English one these days? Whatever country or countries it now represents, God Save The Queen is a load of cobblers.

Post #488924  Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:56 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Nah it’s France for me. I can’t abide fascism

Also I’m desperate to get photo of Olivier Giroud with the World Cup trophy so i can frame it and have it next to pictures of loved ones.

Caption:

"Everything is possible".

Post #488925  Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:58 am 

Bernard wrote:
john1 wrote:

Is it the English one these days? Whatever country or countries it now represents, God Save The Queen is a load of cobblers.

The German one is great too. God save the queen is awful but the American one takes the biscuit.

Post #488926  Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:01 am 

Daz wrote:
Daz wrote:
Pleased in the end France one

Oh dear, Daz, physician heal thyself etc.

:1laughter: Good won!

Post #488927  Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:21 am 

Promising report on borehamwood. Sounds like it’s all change at the club as it moves away from the wretched Wenger era

http://www.onlinegooner.com/article.php ... 0xwIorTWhA

Post #488928  Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:37 am 

Bernard wrote:
john1 wrote:

Yes your absolutely right it’s total nonsense. I’m not againest the monarchy but the lyrics are embarrassing in my opinion as it sounds like the people singing it are sycophantic participants of slavery and captivity! :laughing7:

as Billy Connolly famously pointed out the verse that was removed referring to the Scots being crushed. Oh you will you bastards ... I just think it’s a proper cringey anthem

My favourite is the French anthem with its patriotic themes of revolution. It’s a belter

Post #488929  Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:04 pm 

World cup over and perhaps we have some more business to do. I'll leave it up to Emery, if he's happy, I'll be content. Strange going into a season without Wenger. Welcomed but strange. When I talk to supporters of our rivals. they aren't worried about us generally. I like that. I have met one spuds supporter recently. After he got over me being an American supporter of Arsenal and how much I support them, he isn't concerned about us. He's concerned about his club but doesn't see us as a threat yet, in fact, the vibe I got from a few people is that we are in a transition period that is also a bit of disarray if you let them describe it.

We're going to surprise a few folks. For the good.

What should be our goals for this season? Top 4 is the obvious goal. Over time I'd love to see Emery have a better record against Chelsea which we used to be dominant over and Mourinho. Wenger had a terrible record against him. Hoping Emery changes that.

Post #488930  Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:36 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
Daz wrote:

Try listening to La Marseillaise, I think you might like it.

:laughing7: Now I know damn well there's other forumites who find Daz an insufferable , pretentious , mealy mouthed , verbose little poser who swallowed a dictionary at birth and has never done an honest day's work in his life

.... and to you I'd say ...... YOU ARE RIGHT

So I've used le instead of la ....... but in spite of being polar opposites ... I like the fairy flossed poofter

..Allons enfante de la Patrie .....

I like you too, you regrettable proletarian.

(nb you also misspelled Marseillaise, and it's enfants de la patrie because it is plural, just trying to help you, Ro-land)

On the subject of national anthems for me it goes: Joint First: Welsh and French. Second: Chilean. Third: South African. Being a fairy-flossed pretentious poofter I can sing all of them (first verses at least).

Post #488931  Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:25 pm 

The better team lost the final. Feel sorry for Croatia. France must be the most ordinary team to win the world cup in recent memory.

Post #488932  Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:42 pm 

Gunfire wrote:
The better team lost the final. Feel sorry for Croatia. France must be the most ordinary team to win the world cup in recent memory.

Yeah right. They knocked out Argentina, Belgium and Uruguay. They scored some of the best goals of the tournament and have a fantastic defence. They have the most exciting young player who wasn't even born when France won it 20 years ago. They gave us an entertaining final full of goals unlike all those extra time 1-0s.

Wouldn't mind being that ordinary.

Post #488933  Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:34 pm 

Daz wrote:
Gunfire wrote:

Yeah right. They knocked out Argentina, Belgium and Uruguay. They scored some of the best goals of the tournament and have a fantastic defence. They have the most exciting young player who wasn't even born when France won it 20 years ago. They gave us an entertaining final full of goals unlike all those extra time 1-0s.

Wouldn't mind being that ordinary.

They didn't exactly play swashbuckling football now did they. They basicly parked the bus against the two most creative teams in the competition Belgium and Croatia. If like that sort of thing fine.

Post #488934  Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:57 pm 

Not sure what you mean by swashbuckling but they scored eleven goals in four games which means their bus had more than one gear. I thoroughly enjoyed their 4-3 with Argentina and their 1-0 with Belgium for different reasons.

As far as Croatia being the most creative team in the tournament, they were dull in the qualifying rounds, scraped through against Denmark and Russia, and would probably have gone out to England if we had taken the chances of the first half and not fallen so short in the second. Mediocre team with three very good players who made a big meal of an easy route to the final.

Post #488935  Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:21 pm 

Daz wrote:
Not sure what you mean by swashbuckling but they scored eleven goals in four games which means their bus had more than one gear. I thoroughly enjoyed their 4-3 with Argentina and their 1-0 with Belgium for different reasons.

As far as Croatia being the most creative team in the tournament, they were dull in the qualifying rounds, scraped through against Denmark and Russia, and would probably have gone out to England if we had taken the chances of the first half and not fallen so short in the second. Mediocre team with three very good players who made a big meal of an easy route to the final.

The 3-0 over Argentina wasn't bad. "An easy route to the final" is a bit of an overstatement too.

France's passage was fairly similar. They would have been out if Denmark had taken their chance, and had a fairly easy route past Uruguay, who were very sub-par. They were very good against Argentina but so were Croatia and Iceland.

Post #488936  Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:29 pm 

I think most people would see Denmark, Russia and England as about as good as it gets in terms of knockout rounds. In all three they went to extra time and only won two on penalty shootouts so they certainly made hard work of it.

Certainly it's no harder than Colombia, Sweden, Croatia which everybody said was really easy for the arrogant English!!!

I think it's quite a stretch to describe Croatia as one of the two most creative teams in the World Cup (and by quite a stretch I really mean absolute bollocks).

I don't have much time for France but I think some of the stuff about how unworthy they are is just herd-following really. They were a mixed bag who played some really good stuff sometimes (two of their four goals in the final were really good) and people can sniff all they like about defending but I really enjoy watching players of the calibre of Varane.

Post #488937  Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:30 pm 

Plus Lovren so *%^@ off, Croatia.

Post #488938  Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:53 pm 

And here's the Croatian ex-player Stimac with his hot take on the French side...

Attachments:

Post #488939  Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:58 pm 

Bernard wrote:
kiwipete wrote:
and two ..... they have far and away the best national anthem .

You must be thinking of the Italian one Bernard, which is excellent.

Post #488940  Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:04 pm 

The two long passes by Pogba in that final were ridiculously good. Then he fluffs some easy scoring chances. A very strange player indeed. Varane was the man of the tournament for me - almost as good as Stepanovs at times...

Post #488941  Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:15 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
Varane was the man of the tournament for me - almost as good as Stepanovs at times...

Not quite sure where you're going with that one...but he was brilliant against Belgium. That wasn't "parking the bus" it was simply great defending.

I suspect he's a bit smarter than Stepanovs as well.

Post #488942  Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:36 pm 

The trump Putin press conference is just incredible. I’ve never seen anything like it.

Post #488943  Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:58 pm 

Daz wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:
Varane was the man of the tournament for me - almost as good as Stepanovs at times...

Not quite sure where you're going with that one...but he was brilliant against Belgium. That wasn't "parking the bus" it was simply great defending.

The dodgy centre-back is a great thing in football. Hapless goalies are something to see, but there is no finer sight than the shipwrecked big man going under. As Arsenal fans we have had our fair share of them, but none as sad as Noe Pamarot, Sebastien Bassong and Ricardo Rocha.

Post #488944  Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:25 am 

Pogba isn't known for his scoring so perhaps he can be forgiven. A bit in the Vieira mold. End to end, midfield general, once in a while will contribute a goal.
The guy is a physical specimen. Had he been born in America he'd likely be in the NBA (maybe a bit on the short side..ol) or the NFL.
He automatically makes Man Utd now a big threat in the league. I hate to say it but I can envision Man Utd taking the title. It will be interesting what the bookies make of it at the start of the season.
Liverpool and Tottenham remains to be seen if they improve or stay the same. Chelsea is anyone's guess.

Post #488945  Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:50 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
Daz wrote:

The dodgy centre-back is a great thing in football. Hapless goalies are something to see, but there is no finer sight than the shipwrecked big man going under. As Arsenal fans we have had our fair share of them, but none as sad as Noe Pamarot, Sebastien Bassong and Ricardo Rocha.

I'm sure there is a good gag in here that I'm missing...obviously given that Varane is one of the best CBs in the world I'm struggling to make the link but that is obviously me and you are just being too subtle here...

Post #488946  Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:57 am 

Gazidis leaving Arsenal to go AC Milan

If it comes to fruition then I would suggest we wish him well for sturdying the ship and ridding ourselves of the prolonged damage Wenger was doing to the club. His tenure was difficult and he probably didn’t have the easiest job.

#merciIvan

Post #488947  Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:01 pm 

Daz wrote:
old man of hoy wrote:

I'm sure there is a good gag in here that I'm missing...obviously given that Varane is one of the best CBs in the world I'm struggling to make the link but that is obviously me and you are just being too subtle here...
No hidden gem. Just my turn of mind. Observing a cracking player, which Varane is, can lead me to recall one at the other end of the talent spectrum. Hence my obscure Steppy comparison. To use a Le Bossism, 'overall' Igors was a bit of a plank, but for some reason I couldn't dislike him.

Post #488948  Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:08 pm 

bromley gooner wrote:
Bernard wrote:

You must be thinking of the Italian one Bernard, which is excellent.

Had a listen and you're right. The Italian one isn't at all bad (though I wouldn't use the word 'excellent' and prefer France's). Not that keen on the American anthem.

Post #488949  Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:09 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Pogba isn't known for his scoring so perhaps he can be forgiven. A bit in the Vieira mold. End to end, midfield general, once in a while will contribute a goal. The guy is a physical specimen...He automatically makes Man Utd now a big threat in the league. I hate to say it but I can envision Man Utd taking the title. It will be interesting what the bookies make of it at the start of the season.
Yes, if Pogba can put a long run of fine games together then United will prosper. Last league championship was 2013, so they are due another one.

Post #488950  Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:45 pm 

old man of hoy wrote:
Daz wrote:

No hidden gem. Just my turn of mind. Observing a cracking player, which Varane is, can lead me to recall one at the other end of the talent spectrum. Hence my obscure Steppy comparison. To use a Le Bossism, 'overall' Igors was a bit of a plank, but for some reason I couldn't dislike him.

Ah, there you are then, I was - as the Chilean saying goes - looking for the cat's fifth paw.

You are entirely right that rubbish CBs are entertaining - just wasn't sure if you were implying that Varane actually belonged among such fine examples.

Post #488951  Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:03 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
The trump Putin press conference is just incredible. I’ve never seen anything like it.

Mindboggling. I'm not sure if (scarily) people are getting used to Trump -- 'Stockholmed' as our American would put it--or if we are reaching some sort bottom where the Republican establishment is going to say 'no more'.

Post #488952  Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:56 pm 

Decaf wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Mindboggling. I'm not sure if (scarily) people are getting used to Trump -- 'Stockholmed' as our American would put it--or if we are reaching some sort bottom where the Republican establishment is going to say 'no more'.

Trouble is Decaf, every day the bottom seems to go lower and lower, if you see what I mean!!

Maybe if there are videos of Trump, he has videos of certain other 'establishment' folk? Otherwise I'm at a complete loss as to why the GOP allows this charade to continue.

Post #488953  Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:22 pm 

Decaf wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I’m starting to think the latter maybe.

It must have felt like treason was watching it for most Americans. I can’t help think Mueller is getting all the information he needs and the net is closing.

I’m surprised all the remaining living presidents like bush Obama carter haven’t issued some form of joint statement on the situation which is out of control.

Post #488954  Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:38 pm 

Man U sell Daley Blind back to Ajax for £18m!

£18m for blind?! We really need to get much better value for our players, there are mugs out there willing to pay it.

Post #488955  Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:35 pm 

john1 wrote:
Decaf wrote:

Trouble is Decaf, every day the bottom seems to go lower and lower, if you see what I mean!!

Maybe if there are videos of Trump, he has videos of certain other 'establishment' folk? Otherwise I'm at a complete loss as to why the GOP allows this charade to continue.

Replace the buffoon ...with whom John .... a more acceptable to the pallet , puppet ...?

America is the cesspit of sleaze , vested interests , controlled media , blowflies aplenty in the NSA , CIA , FBI . Homeland Security

Nothing will change in the world no matter who is in the White House ... more wars , interference in other countries affairs , cooked up agendas , sanctions to mask the fact they are trillions of dollars in debt .

Post #488956  Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:56 am 

Arsene Wenger’s shock confession: Regrets staying at Arsenal so long

ARSENE Wenger has said staying as Arsenal manager for nearly 22 years may have been the biggest mistake of his career and that he regrets sacrificing “everything” for the job.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/football/p ... 11da6a7861

Post #488957  Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:02 am 

warrior wrote:

ARSENE Wenger has said staying as Arsenal manager for nearly 22 years may have been the biggest mistake of his career and that he regrets sacrificing “everything” for the job.

The bloke is a complete Bell end........

I’ve neglected a lot of people. I’ve neglected my family, I’ve neglected many close ones. Deep down though, the obsessed man is selfish in his pursuit of what he loves. He ignores a lot of other things. But it’s a bone to chase at the same time.”

Wenger was also confident that former Arsenal players Thierry Henry and Patrick Vieira, who are now pursuing coaching careers, have the qualities to succeed at the top level.

..... yet never gave anyone roles close to him or brought more coaches in. He’s a prat of the highest order and thank goodness we haven’t got another season of his nonsense

Post #488958  Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:57 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
warrior wrote:

I’ve neglected a lot of people. I’ve neglected my family, I’ve neglected many close ones. Deep down though, the obsessed man is selfish in his pursuit of what he loves. He ignores a lot of other things. But it’s a bone to chase at the same time.”

Wenger was also confident that former Arsenal players Thierry Henry and Patrick Vieira, who are now pursuing coaching careers, have the qualities to succeed at the top level.

..... yet never gave anyone roles close to him or brought more coaches in. He’s a prat of the highest order and thank goodness we haven’t got another season of his nonsense

I am with you on that view. Being happy with life is finding a balance in the whole package. It is a bit like managing a football team. It is about getting a balance across the whole squad and making players make sacrifices for each other. Nothing stopped Wenger doing that in his life. Yep all that money may not replace having a family now. Move on mate and admit you made mistakes something he is not capable of doing.

Post #488959  Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:20 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I am with you on that view. Being happy with life is finding a balance in the whole package. It is a bit like managing a football team. It is about getting a balance across the whole squad and making players make sacrifices for each other. Nothing stopped Wenger doing that in his life. Yep all that money may not replace having a family now. Move on mate and admit you made mistakes something he is not capable of doing.

A lot of bull in that interview...

You wake up at 3am thinking about team selection, tactics, formation…

Really Arsene ? Could have fooled us. We had none.

Post #488960  Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:38 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
warrior wrote:

I’ve neglected a lot of people.

I find his claim that he sacrificed "everything" utterly creepy. In other words, the world should feel sympathy for Wenger because of the self-sacrifice he suffered in being paid a fortune to have few or relaxed targets in his work, and to have been given enough control in his job to clinically satisfy his craving for power that probably represented rampant megalomania.

These days I find it very hard to like the man, regardless of his Highbury years.

[ 571656 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12221, 12222, 12223, 12224, 12225, 12226, 12227 ... 14292  Next