Fixtures Saturday April 20th - Wolves - Molineux Stadium - 7:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:01 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Googlebot, warrior and 161 guests

Post #487321  Posted: Thu May 24, 2018 2:02 am 

After slagging him off for a good 5 years, my opinion on Gazidis has changed dramatically. He said catalyst for change a while ago now and while it seemed like a load of rubbish for a good while after I'd say he's executed the restructure perfectly. Don't really care what his motivations are because it looks like huge strides in the right direction from where I'm sitting.

Can't wait for the World Cup and then straight after that a new season with hope, uncertainty and seeing what Arsenal can really do.

Post #487322  Posted: Thu May 24, 2018 2:28 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Arsenal have informed Lucas Perez that he will have to join them for pre-season at the start of July. Unai Emery is a fan of Lucas & will hold a meeting to discuss his future early next month.

....Our new man starting to repair the broken bridges Wenger created. Great first move

Good news. I like Perez, and believe he can be better utilised.

Although I believe the Japanese chap will be let go. I hope not. It will be interesting to see him at the World Cup.

Post #487323  Posted: Thu May 24, 2018 2:36 am 

socrates wrote:
The more I see, hear and read about Emery the more enthused I am. He looks like he will bring an energy, passion and intensity that we have been sadly lacking for years.

Make that a decade

Post #487324  Posted: Thu May 24, 2018 3:39 am 

Hazuki wrote:
john1 wrote:
I'd agree with Hodd's interpretation - however the worry with that, if it's correct, is that these people put themselves and their personal positions above the best interests of the club.

Kind of like the politicians in charge these days - putting personal interests ahead of the country.

That's not necessarily true though - could just be that Gazidis saw it as the best way to run the club going forward. And whether we like it or not, he's in the spotlight now. He clearly had a huge hand in bringing Mislintat, Sanllehi and Emery to the club. If we don't improve now there's nobody he can blame.

Agree with that Haz. All clear in hindsight and I think also that the board were probably putting him under a lot of pressure to turn things around as well. Gazidis had to do what he did or he would have found himself out of a job. Signing Wenger for 2 more years, while infuriating last year, allowed the club to make the required changes and put in place contingency plans for the likely event that Wenger couldn't turn things around.

Post #487325  Posted: Thu May 24, 2018 5:41 am 

Very excited by Emery's appointment, even more so after listening to him and reading more about him.

Perhaps Ivan does have the club's best interests at heart, and perhaps (for once) AG is talking some sense when he says that Josh Kroenke has more ambition than his father and is exerting more influence to support the changes that have been needed for some time.

The only slight cloud on my horizon is the quote attributed to Emery where he says something to the effect that he thinks he can turn the current squad into league winners. Is that because he's been told he has no money for transfers?

Post #487326  Posted: Thu May 24, 2018 5:57 am 

gooner7 wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Arsenal have informed Lucas Perez that he will have to join them for pre-season at the start of July. Unai Emery is a fan of Lucas & will hold a meeting to discuss his future early next month.

....Our new man starting to repair the broken bridges Wenger created. Great first move

Good news. I like Perez, and believe he can be better utilised.

Although I believe the Japanese chap will be let go. I hope not. It will be interesting to see him at the World Cup.

I like the fact that everyone appears to start with a clean slate at the club. From reading various articles he appears to be a great motivator.

The story about his interview & his knowledge of the club appears to support other stories that he prepares everyone for every game. This will be a challenge for many older players who have appeared to play the way they wanted to for games. The Asian player you mention may very well benefit from this type of structure.

If you watch the preparations that J league teams do for matches it is often a lot of instruction about individual roles. With Wenger this was lacking.

I think with Henry, Viera etc there was no need for instruction but the current squad did not have those abilities. Probably a good example of how Wenger failed to adjust.

I would like him to get the defence together on day one and tell them ‘one square pass across the penalty box and I will rip off the perpetrators left nut.’ Set the standard from day one.

Post #487327  Posted: Thu May 24, 2018 7:02 am 

bromley gooner wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Perez always looked decent to me and I could never understand why he was hardly used and then jettisoned out on loan. With Emery hopefully he'll become a valuable squaddie.

Emery's favourite formation is 4-2-3-1 if not mistaken. Aubameyang, Lacazette, Welbeck, Perez, Özil, Mkhit and Iwobi to fight for the front four positions? Ramsey, Xhaka, Wilshere and Elneny will be rotated in centre mid?

Post #487328  Posted: Thu May 24, 2018 7:08 am 

Think Perez will get a chance in pre season to show he's worth keeping, but I doubt he features much in Emerys plan for the team. Don't see that he has what it takes to make it here, for me he's behind all of our current attacking options (making him at best third or fourth choice in his favoured positions). But it sounds like he'll get a chance to prove me and others wrong at least.

Post #487329  Posted: Thu May 24, 2018 7:41 am 

Hazuki wrote:
Think Perez will get a chance in pre season to show he's worth keeping, but I doubt he features much in Emerys plan for the team. Don't see that he has what it takes to make it here, for me he's behind all of our current attacking options (making him at best third or fourth choice in his favoured positions). But it sounds like he'll get a chance to prove me and others wrong at least.

It'll be interesting to see how all the players react to a new style of leadership/tactics/ formation etc.

Post #487330  Posted: Thu May 24, 2018 7:43 am 

http://dailycannon.com/2018/05/arsenal- ... ls-follow/

Another who may get the chance to impress back at Arsenal this year - providing he can get a work permit.

Post #487331  Posted: Thu May 24, 2018 7:48 am 

Emery talks about wanting to adopt a pressing style, he wants to win the ball back as soon as possible. I'm really excited for this style of football but it won't happen over night and there will be mistakes by the players. It is very difficult to suddenly change from a team who doesn't press and has never been taught how to press in to a team who suffocates the opposition.

I'm a believer in the pressing style. Take great players and make them work harder than less talented players and you have a fantastic combination.

Post #487332  Posted: Thu May 24, 2018 7:55 am 

john1 wrote:
It'll be interesting to see how all the players react to a new style of leadership/tactics/ formation etc.

The two things I will be hoping for in the coming season is first of all if Emery can instill some defensive discipline in the team. Not really worried about our attack, if Emery can get the team to gel and work as a disciplined unit there’s no way we won’t play entertaining attacking football with the players we have. Second thing is if he can make more players perform to the best of their abilities. I have huge hopes for players like Xhaka, Bellerin and Iwobi (and several others) going into this season.

Post #487333  Posted: Thu May 24, 2018 7:59 am 

Hazuki wrote:
john1 wrote:

The two things I will be hoping for in the coming season is first of all if Emery can instill some defensive discipline in the team. Not really worried about our attack, if Emery can get the team to gel and work as a disciplined unit there’s no way we won’t play entertaining attacking football with the players we have. Second thing is if he can make more players perform to the best of their abilities. I have huge hopes for players like Xhaka, Bellerin and Iwobi (and several others) going into this season.

I share your hope (and your optimism)!

Post #487334  Posted: Thu May 24, 2018 8:50 am 

I’m optimistic for our transfers this summer. If we were faced with rebuilding a defence or rebuilding an attack I know which I’d rather have to try to do. The hardest thing to find in football, and why they cost the most, are 25 goal a season strikers. Every club wanting to win things needs one....and we’ve got 2 of them. We’ve got two great creators in Özil and mhkitaryan and a great all round midfielder in Ramsey. To find 5 players of that quality this summer would be impossible or impossibly expensive. To bring in some good defenders who can work with the manager and the rest of the team to do the basics well is, in my opinion an easier job.

I still would like to see a brand new defensive spine. A gk, 2 CB and a holding mid should be the priority. AMN can provide very good cover for a number of positions and I’m hopeful Emery can bring on Nelson and Nketiah as able deputies for the established first team players.

I’m looking forward to seeing what Emery does with players like Iwobi, someone who looked fresh and axcoting when he burst on the scene but was dragged down by the boring sideways style of wenger. Coach him properly, teach him his position and see what he can do

Post #487335  Posted: Thu May 24, 2018 9:21 am 

According to Arsenal.com Campbell, Asano and Lucas are still on the books. Of the 3, I think Campbell and Lucas may be able to revive their club career under the new manager.

Post #487336  Posted: Thu May 24, 2018 9:25 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
According to Arsenal.com Campbell, Asano and Lucas are still on the books. Of the 3, I think Campbell and Lucas may be able to revive their club career under the new manager.

Can someone not on AGs block list (if there's anyone left) tell him that Asano has been loaned out to Hannover, and Campbells contract is ending in June?

Post #487337  Posted: Thu May 24, 2018 9:50 am 

Hazuki wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

Can someone not on AGs block list (if there's anyone left) tell him that Asano has been loaned out to Hannover, and Campbells contract is ending in June?

Wonder if Exiled still reckons he'll see your post telling him, even though you're supposed to be blocked? Myself, I'm not sure as I think he might have the large majority of the members blocked, simply because I hope he's not that dishonest. But he does keep posting and what's the point of him doing so if he's not going to see people's reactions to his thoughts or ideas? Wouldn't a lack of feedback, unless Hodd, Rich or Zed say anything to him, make the exercise of posting rather meaningless? He might just as well jot down his views and opinions in a diary and not show it to anyone, I'd have thought.

Post #487338  Posted: Thu May 24, 2018 10:41 am 

Isnt it all exciting.
Everyone thought it would be Arteta then boom! Its Emery.
Never thought he was on the shortlist.
Just goes to show how much b%*&s%*^ the media feed us with.
I loved Gazidis quote.
Those who know wont speak and those that speak dont know.
Wasnt Emery impressive in his pressconference. Fair play to him speaking in english. To face up like that with an unknown language gets my huge respect.
Loved the fact he believes in a pressing game coupled with posession.
And the fact he seems to be a man motivator. Bodes well.
Liked the fact he didnt make shallow promises that we WILL Win but he did guarantee hard work.
Im right behind him and he seems a nice humble guy.
Fair play to Ivan as well. Thought he spoke very well and was transparent with the whole process.

Post #487339  Posted: Thu May 24, 2018 10:47 am 

Cant wait for the new season and how he improves players like Xhaka and Bellerin and Mustafi if he is kept.
Would love him to go and get Rabiot from his old club. Might have a chance with him being left out of the world cup squad and struggling for game time.

Post #487340  Posted: Thu May 24, 2018 10:47 am 

What will he do with Özil!?

Post #487341  Posted: Thu May 24, 2018 11:37 am 

david.d wrote:

While I haven't seen him play in more than a year, based on what I've been reading on here, I think Emery will get him to turn up in big games and not just when he's in the mood.

However, in a different setup with other players motivated and getting involved, he may naturally up his game.

Post #487342  Posted: Thu May 24, 2018 11:49 am 

Watching Gazidis / Emery press conference. " a noteworthy thing about Unai's teams are that they improve over time" ouch.

Post #487343  Posted: Thu May 24, 2018 2:25 pm 

Renewed optimism seen here. Hope the players feel likewise. Arsenal will be playing a pre-season tournament in Singapore. Whereas I was not bothered then, I am now keenly awaiting. :26encouragement:

Post #487344  Posted: Thu May 24, 2018 3:11 pm 

I'm impressed by our Ernie.

In fact I like him so much, I just bought the company.

Well, I renewed my STs, but that's what it feels like.

Post #487345  Posted: Thu May 24, 2018 7:32 pm 

david.d wrote:

Hopefully tell him to *%^@ off.

Post #487346  Posted: Thu May 24, 2018 7:34 pm 

DHD wrote:
I'm impressed by our Ernie.

In fact I like him so much, I just bought the company.

Well, I renewed my STs, but that's what it feels like.

Yes, I think it's obvious everyone's enthusiasm levels have risen.

Post #487347  Posted: Thu May 24, 2018 9:28 pm 

John wrote:
david.d wrote:

Hopefully tell him to *%^@ off.

Same here Johnny Boy , allowing the befuddled Wenger to convince the powers that be ; Özil is worth 300,000 a week sticks in the craw HOWEVER if Unai can get the team operating at a higher level of intensity ,
Mesut could be a vital component .

The new record 10 mill a year shirt sleeve deal with Visit Rwanda covers his wages .

Post #487348  Posted: Thu May 24, 2018 9:38 pm 

grantyboy wrote:
Watching Gazidis / Emery press conference. " a noteworthy thing about Unai's teams are that they improve over time" ouch.

Of course .... the "over time" that is causing you such pain Granty Boy ....could be reference to five minutes , half an hour , a day , three weeks , a month ...... all acceptable

Doesn't have to be the two years , a decade , half a century your negative little brain has focussed on .

That's told him . :5encouragement:

Post #487349  Posted: Thu May 24, 2018 10:08 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
grantyboy wrote:

Of course .... the "over time" that is causing you such pain Granty Boy ....could be reference to five minutes , half an hour , a day , three weeks , a month ...... all acceptable

Doesn't have to be the two years , a decade , half a century your negative little brain has focussed on .

I think he was assuming Ivan was leaving unsaid “Unlike Arsene’s teams which, eventually, go to *%^@...”

Post #487350  Posted: Thu May 24, 2018 10:54 pm 

Ash wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

I think he was assuming Ivan was leaving unsaid “Unlike Arsene’s teams which, eventually, go to *%^@...”

Yes that is what I meant and my negative little brain is now very positive. :laughing7:

Post #487351  Posted: Thu May 24, 2018 11:18 pm 

kiwipete wrote:

The new record 10 mill a year shirt sleeve deal with Visit Rwanda covers his wages .

Has anyone here visit Rwanda? Have intention of visiting Rwanda now? The sponsorship has made me at least curious enough to google Rwanda. They don't have vibranium. :icon_sad1:

Post #487352  Posted: Fri May 25, 2018 1:31 am 

Goonie wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

Has anyone here visit Rwanda? Have intention of visiting Rwanda now? The sponsorship has made me at least curious enough to google Rwanda. They don't have vibranium. :icon_sad1:

Nope, have not visited the country

Post #487353  Posted: Fri May 25, 2018 12:18 pm 

Ash wrote:

I will never understand Ash .... is why Arsene didn't seek out a couple of savvy coots .... and say what am I doing wrong .

How someone who enjoyed so much success could become so inflexible is a mystery .

Post #487354  Posted: Fri May 25, 2018 12:26 pm 

Goonie wrote:
kiwipete wrote:

I saw a programme on the country a few weeks back I surprised at amount of wildlife .... Serengeti style .

I'd thought it was an impoverished country , thousands of Kalashnikovs and a million corpses .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnVgrOfQD8g

Post #487355  Posted: Fri May 25, 2018 12:44 pm 

Perhaps, just perhaps it wasn't so much Wenger was going to be sacked that he was going to have to manage the last season of his contract severely restrictive in powers. Josh supported Gazidis perhaps in stripping him of being the only say in some matters. His contract was not going to be renewed for sure. That and the indignity he thinks he would have suffered of that and not being the final word on trasnfers, etc.

Post #487356  Posted: Fri May 25, 2018 5:38 pm 

Ornstein reporting Arsenal are close to the free transfer of Stephen Lichsteiner, the Swiss, 34(!) right back from Juventus.

Not sure what to make of that. Certainly brings experience. He was the effective sub Allegri made to turn the tie v spurs, when allegri subbed a midfielder for a full back and played a back 3 with lichsteiner as his right wing back to pin spurs back.

I suppose it means that the club certainly see Bellerin as No.1 but realise there is a gap at RB but there are other areas of the team that require investment from our budget. With that in mind it makes total sense. My only fear is I’ve seen Arsenal sign older players before hoping to get 1 max 2 seasons from them, use them as a stop gap and that players form and legs have dropped off the cliff as soon as they join.

I’m still excited to see what some new thinking is going to do in the transfer market. Hopefully getting things done early. We’ve plenty of players who’ve missed out on the World Cup and so should get plenty of time with Emery

Post #487357  Posted: Fri May 25, 2018 11:55 pm 

My wife is going to Rwanda next month, absolute truth. I showed her the new sleeve sponsor to which she replied all happy, but in a mocking condescending way - she denied it but I can always tell - “Ooh look I’m supporting the team!” Where were you when Arsene needed you I thought, too little to late, wife.

She went about 5 years ago, she was fascinated and said it was the cleanest African country she’s ever been too, as in the streets were spotless and everything had an air of calm.

Interesting fact, after France refused to send back some individuals wanted in connection with the genocide among other bitter claims, they changed their official language from French to English and joined the commonwealth!! I guess they see increased tourism as the next step in their own rehabilitation?

Post #487358  Posted: Sat May 26, 2018 12:05 am 

It's already 26 May in Singapore.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IafGuI0WioE

Next season kit must surely be a tribute to 1989's? especially since it's rumoured Adidas will replace Puma.

Post #487359  Posted: Sat May 26, 2018 12:30 am 

Ash wrote:
My wife is going to Rwanda next month, absolute truth. I showed her the new sleeve sponsor to which she replied all happy, but in a mocking condescending way - she denied it but I can always tell - “Ooh look I’m supporting the team!” Where were you when Arsene needed you I thought, too little to late, wife.

She went about 5 years ago, she was fascinated and said it was the cleanest African country she’s ever been too, as in the streets were spotless and everything had an air of calm.

Interesting fact, after France refused to send back some individuals wanted in connection with the genocide among other bitter claims, they changed their official language from French to English and joined the commonwealth!! I guess they see increased tourism as the next step in their own rehabilitation?

Hope it works for them. 10m a year is a lot of money.

Apparently Dutch MPs not happy about the deal: http://ktpress.rw/2018/05/dutch-mps-ann ... l-fc-deal/ and Rwanda's president Kagame is a big fan of Arsenal it seems.

Post #487360  Posted: Sat May 26, 2018 1:05 am 

Goonie wrote:
Ash wrote:

Hope it works for them. 10m a year is a lot of money.

Apparently Dutch MPs not happy about the deal: http://ktpress.rw/2018/05/dutch-mps-ann ... l-fc-deal/ and Rwanda's president Kagame is a big fan of Arsenal it seems.

It seems a fair criticism, why are we giving you aid if you are spending money to advertise yourself? At the same time it seems like the kind of thinking that keeps poor nations poor, this is how you must spend your money if we give you aid, they aren’t gold plating the president’s.. whatever... they’re investing in the country’s future.

[ 571656 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12181, 12182, 12183, 12184, 12185, 12186, 12187 ... 14292  Next