Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:43 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 89 guests

Post #484521  Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:30 pm 

Well right now now I'm in a hotel room in the NSW town of Bega. It's only a stones throw from a place called Tathra which just got whacked with a major bushfire. 70 homes lost. Pretty smokey here.

Post #484522  Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:35 pm 

warrior wrote:
Well right now now I'm in a hotel room in the NSW town of Bega. It's only a stones throw from a place called Tathra which just got whacked with a major bushfire. 70 homes lost. Pretty smokey here.

Keep safe! Though a man on your massive salary should be able to get himself helicoptered out :icon_mrgreen:

Post #484523  Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:37 am 

Babu III wrote:
Hello All.
Just logged in to agree with the kind words to Roger and the team for keeping this site going, and my best wishes to Steve's family. Wishing you all a pleasant Sunday, and happy to see that most of you are still here.
Lots of love, Babu.

Babu, you 'ol miscreant and reprobate! Sorely missed on here. Regale us with stories of yesteryear and musings of the current state of The Arsenal and football in general.

PS: I thought I blocked you? I must review the list of the half dozen or so... hahahahaha (never :icon_mrgreen: ).

Post #484524  Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:42 am 

Saw some Arsenal Manager odds which had Ancelotti as fav, followed by Henry and in 3rd was Luis Enrique.

Surely Henry isn't that high up the list. He's had a bit part role in management to put it kindly.

Post #484525  Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:43 am 

Bernard wrote:
kiwipete wrote:
Ask him something less tricky .... like " what did you have for breakfast yesterday".

Shredded Wheat. I always have that when I'm at home.[/

Post #484526  Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:46 pm 

grantyboy wrote:
Saw some Arsenal Manager odds which had Ancelotti as fav, followed by Henry and in 3rd was Luis Enrique.

Surely Henry isn't that high up the list. He's had a bit part role in management to put it kindly.

Henry as first team coach to whoever comes in as manager would make more sense surely. That would please the likes of Nelson, Eddie and Maitland-Niles. They all rave about their time with him when Henry coached the U18's.

Post #484527  Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:51 pm 

tomc wrote:
grantyboy wrote:

Henry as first team coach to whoever comes in as manager would make more sense surely. That would please the likes of Nelson, Eddie and Maitland-Niles. They all rave about their time with him when Henry coached the U18's.

Another high on the list was Brendan Rogers. Yes he's done well with Celtic but not sure if hes the right pick either.

Post #484528  Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:10 pm 

tomc wrote:

There was a clip I recall seeing of Henry working with striker one of the Wright-Phillips brothers for New York Red Bulls. Giving advice, etc, and the latter saying how knowledgeable he was.

He seems to connect and he brings the same passion it seems to advising young players. Seems to be highly respected.

Post #484529  Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:50 am 

Babu III wrote:
Hello All.
Just logged in to agree with the kind words to Roger and the team for keeping this site going, and my best wishes to Steve's family. Wishing you all a pleasant Sunday, and happy to see that most of you are still here.
Lots of love, Babu.

Hello Babu III. Give my regards to Babu I and Babu II, if you know their whereabouts.

Post #484530  Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:52 pm 

2 goals for Reid’s Nelson in a 4-1 win for Rngland U19 this afternoon. Willock and Nketiah both started as well.

All 3 of these but particularly Nelson need to be given some proper game time in the remaining league games. Play Nelson with Aubameyang and Özil. If you want to see a good young player put him in with the players you expect him to play with eventually.

Nelson is stalling on a new deal, having already lost Chris Willock and McGuane for zero money it would be gut wrenching to see Nelson go.

We know why we can’t keep players like Sanchez. Failing to keep your exceptional young English talent would be awful as well. The two should be opposite. Too many big stars and the youth leave, if the stars leave the youth should have more of a chance. To have both groups constantly leave reeks of the squad having far too many mediocre experienced players

Post #484531  Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:11 pm 

Rich wrote:
2 goals for Reid’s Nelson in a 4-1 win for Rngland U19 this afternoon. Willock and Nketiah both started as well.

All 3 of these but particularly Nelson need to be given some proper game time in the remaining league games. Play Nelson with Aubameyang and Özil. If you want to see a good young player put him in with the players you expect him to play with eventually.

Nelson is stalling on a new deal, having already lost Chris Willock and McGuane for zero money it would be gut wrenching to see Nelson go.

Lee Dixon at the AST do said Wenger doesn't like wingers, or whatever word(s) he used if it wasn't 'like'. If Wenger sees Nelson as a winger, he's probably better off moving on if Wenger doesn't go this summer.

Post #484532  Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:42 am 

Rich wrote:

We know why we can’t keep players like Sanchez. Failing to keep your exceptional young English talent would be awful as well. The two should be opposite. Too many big stars and the youth leave, if the stars leave the youth should have more of a chance. To have both groups constantly leave reeks of the squad having far too many mediocre experienced players

Get rid of the manager. Used to be "AKB", but no longer.

Post #484533  Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:50 am 

Rich wrote:

It is interesting that on 2 podcasts that I regularly listen to both recently discussed Wilshire and the offer by the club. Both described him as a squad player rather than a regular first teaser. Why pay him 90 /week. I am sure Spurs don’t pay that for a squaddy.

Would let him go and gamble on Nelson for the future. We need to stop paying wages over the odds for many in our team who live in comfort land. Every month Wenger stays on from here will damage the club.
This season will probably take us 2-3 years to recover from. By that I mean losing players, having to try and get a new system of play for the club, getting rid of players that Wenger rates and who are overpaid passengers will take 2-3 years to get anywhere near looking like a club with a plan.

Another year and loss of Ramsay & Bellerin and we will need a five year turn around.

Post #484534  Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:19 am 

Well done England!

23/8 and it looks like NZ's world record low score is a goner.

But never fear, the Dunkirk spirit prevails and England post a mighty 58 all out.

:1laughter:

Post #484535  Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:20 am 

Decaf wrote:
Well done England!

But never fear, the Dunkirk spirit prevails and England post a mighty 58 all out.

The ninth wicket fell at 27. The New Zealand captain should have some explaining to do in order to account for the last wicket being worth over 50% of the score. My vote goes for sacking him and getting Glenn Turner and Richard Hadlee back to sort things out. And Brendon McCullum as he played for Middlesex.

Post #484536  Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:41 am 

Bernard wrote:
Decaf wrote:
Well done England!

The ninth wicket fell at 27. The New Zealand captain should have some explaining to do in order to account for the last wicket being worth over 50% of the score. My vote goes for sacking him and getting Glenn Turner and Richard Hadlee back to sort things out. And Brendon McCullum as he played for Middlesex.

Quite right. Slackness should never be allowed to set in, no matter how far ahead one seems, and particularly so when dealing with perfidious Albion. After all, the Germans did manage to lose the war after being in a position almost as good as the one NZ is in now.

Post #484537  Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:41 am 

Decaf wrote:
Well done England!

Good old Overton. Did you know that South Africa have made half of the ten lowest scores ever made in Test cricket? This list makes for great reading if you are a bowler.

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/conten ... 45832.html

Post #484538  Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:46 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
Decaf wrote:
Well done England!

Good old Overton. Did you know that South Africa have made half of the ten lowest scores ever made in Test cricket? This list makes for great reading if you are a bowler.

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/conten ... 45832.html

I know. Spectacular collapses are something of a national speciality--not only from the beginning of innings but also from positions of strength. There is something of the bully in the SA national psyche. Great when dishing it out but not so great when the boot is on the other foot ....

Post #484539  Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:55 pm 

Jack Wilshere reveals Arsene Wenger told him to find a new club last summer

AN Arsenal star and England international has revealed the moment Arsene Wenger bluntly told him to leave the Gunners and find a new club.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/football/j ... 85fdfd0c29

Boy, you'd think if someone at Arsenal was unwanted, they would just take the hint and leave.

Oh wait ...

Post #484540  Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:39 am 

Olivier Giroud admits ‘frustrating’ start to life at Chelsea since leaving Arsenal

http://metro.co.uk/2018/03/23/olivier-g ... l-7410136/

Manchester United's Alexis Sanchez disappointed with form since leaving Arsenal

http://www.espn.com/soccer/manchester-u ... ng-arsenal

Post #484541  Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:56 am 

If Mourinho lets him go without a fight, he isn't very good.
https://arsenal-mania.com/man-utd-star- ... r-arsenal/

Post #484542  Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:59 am 

If Freddie and Bobby told Giroud to go to Chelsea it certainly out of any love for Chelsea. It was obvious he was on in Wenger's plans.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/arsenal- ... 1531dc81bj

Post #484543  Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:51 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
If Freddie and Bobby told Giroud to go to Chelsea it certainly out of any love for Chelsea. It was obvious he was on in Wenger's plans.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/arsenal- ... 1531dc81bj

Do you mean it wasn't out of any love for Chelsea? Also, why is it obvious Giroud "was on in Wenger's plans"? If you mean by that he was in Wenger's plans, why did he hardly ever pick him to start games?

Post #484544  Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:38 am 

AmericanGooner wrote:
If Mourinho lets him go without a fight, he isn't very good.
https://arsenal-mania.com/man-utd-star- ... r-arsenal/

We do need another right back.

Post #484545  Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:45 am 

Debuchy was an excellent right back. Bellerin to his credit cemented his place when Debuchy was out injured. Had Wenger been a better manager we could have had 2 excellent choices. Gibbs was a decent back up to Monreal. Not great but decent. Wenger wouldn't rotate Debuchy back in and froze him out to some extent. He does that sometimes with certain players and I suspect for largely non football related, petty reasons.

We need a few positions. I'd put RB lower than the need for a quality defender (or two), and a dominating defensive central midfielder. Even above a top class GK possibly as Čech is past it obviously. Chambers can fill in in a bind. If Bellerin leaves then the position's importance moves way up.

Post #484546  Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:56 pm 

Decaf wrote:
I know. Spectacular collapses are something of a national speciality--not only from the beginning of innings but also from positions of strength. There is something of the bully in the SA national psyche. Great when dishing it out but not so great when the boot is on the other foot ....
Looks like the Aussies are wearing the cheating boots! Steve Smith has embarrassed himself. And to call the senior guys who agreed to it as a "leadership group" is Orwellian. C'mon Saffers!

Post #484547  Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:47 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Decaf wrote:
Well done England!

Morning Bernard ...

I'd agree , forgot it was on , would have been brilliant watching live from our point of view ; but allowing the two tailenders to add another 30 to get from a dismal 28 to a " respectable " 58 was a letdown .

Sack Williamson and the coaching staff .

Rain will probably save you blokes .

Can't remember seeing Turner in action ........ who would you rate the better ; him or McCallum

Post #484548  Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:41 pm 

kiwipete wrote:
Can't remember seeing Turner in action ........ who would you rate the better ; him or McCallum

Even though McCullum played for Middlesex and Turner didn't (he played for Worcestershire), I've got to say I think Turner was better.

Post #484549  Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:58 pm 

Can't believe Steve Smith is trying to brazen this one out. He's basically been forced to admit that he and other team leaders (without the coach, honest) decided to cheat, and either encouraged or were happy to allow the youngest and most inexperienced member of the team to be the fall guy.

Atherton had no more than dirty pockets and at least a scientifically plausible alibi, and no-one else was involved.

Inzi for Pakistan was much the same and there were v little evidence.

this is a team planned, premeditated act using external 'equipment', and they are all just saying they regret it and will move on. Someone has to lose their position, and it shouldn't be Bancroft.

Post #484550  Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:19 am 

lomekian wrote:
Can't believe Steve Smith is trying to brazen this one out. He's basically been forced to admit that he and other team leaders (without the coach, honest) decided to cheat, and either encouraged or were happy to allow the youngest and most inexperienced member of the team to be the fall guy.

Atherton had no more than dirty pockets and at least a scientifically plausible alibi, and no-one else was involved.

this is a team planned, premeditated act using external 'equipment', and they are all just saying they regret it and will move on. Someone has to lose their position, and it shouldn't be Bancroft.

Yes the press have slammed them over here. I think it is a disgrace. He also has forgotten the most basic rule of cheating never admit anything.

However I don’t think many people on this forum can criticise because if they failed to condemn Wellbeck cheating they can hardly criticise others now.

Post #484551  Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:32 am 

Woke up and surprisingly reading football news and England beat Holland. Never seen that coming. Saw the highlights on Youtube. England always has talent but never seem to put it together. I wasn't around for the Euro run in the '90s.
It seems to me from a casual observer the national team doesn't play the style of football the league is known for. Maybe its the tremendous pressure form the press (but every national team of note has tremendous pressure) but they seem to play cautious as compared to how the players play for their clubs.

It was the first thing I noticed about the English national sides when I became a fan of the sport. Brazilians play the same as they do in the league, Italians as well as the Spaniards, Germans as well. England as well as France and Holland seem to depart the most from the style of football the players display in their league.

Post #484552  Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:00 am 

old man of hoy wrote:
Decaf wrote:
Looks like the Aussies are wearing the cheating boots! Steve Smith has embarrassed himself. And to call the senior guys who agreed to it as a "leadership group" is Orwellian. C'mon Saffers!

That's the point I was trying to make. Somehow when the Ozzies engage in the dark arts it is 'playing the game hard'.
If you justify sledging, deliberately winding up players who are close to a ban, not walking, etc, it is a short step to actual cheating. The ozzies have have been talking about a 'line' which they apparently consider themselves not to cross. Pretty hard to maintain that argument now ... although I'm sure they will try ...

Absolutely thrilling cricket and great drama, it must be said. Warner may be a *&&^^ but he and his team mates make for compelling viewing. Add to this de Villiers in sublime form (and still infuriatingly tending to get himself out when looking completely in control), the sublime Amla not quite the force he was but still all class and serenity, Rabada, etc ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MchWI3sLUQo

Post #484553  Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:09 am 

lomekian wrote:

That is the worst. A young player who hasn't cemented his place is under big pressure to do whatever is asked (he also does the short-leg catching--he's pretty good at it). I guess that this sort of thing is seen as a rite of passage?

Post #484554  Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:16 am 

warrior wrote:
Olivier Giroud admits ‘frustrating’ start to life at Chelsea since leaving Arsenal

http://metro.co.uk/2018/03/23/olivier-g ... l-7410136/

Manchester United's Alexis Sanchez disappointed with form since leaving Arsenal

http://www.espn.com/soccer/manchester-u ... ng-arsenal

Hardly the first players to leave Wenger's Arsenal and find the that grass isn't greener ...

Post #484555  Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:36 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
lomekian wrote:

Yes the press have slammed them over here. I think it is a disgrace. He also has forgotten the most basic rule of cheating never admit anything.

However I don’t think many people on this forum can criticise because if they failed to condemn Wellbeck cheating they can hardly criticise others now.

I agree, Gaz. Consistency is what we need, without any backward notions of things being ok or not because the fit or don't fit with our notions of masculinity.

But carrying an object onto the field of play with the intention of breaking the rules carries an element of premeditation that cannot be explained away in the same way an act of aggression or simulation can be. Objectively, it is as bad as doping.

Post #484556  Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:48 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:

Not quite the same Welbeck's is a single idiot spur of the moment to cheat ... Smith and his senior cohorts it's premeditated . They've planned to cheat .

Smith could have defused the situation if he'd said "I made a judgement error' and resigned

by hanging "tough ' ... he opens up a barrel load of worms where everyone and their dog can have a go at the Aussies .

Post #484557  Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:22 am 

Decaf wrote:
the sublime Amla not quite the force he was but still all class and serenity,

Amla has been my favourite non-Middlesex player for quite a few years now. Never liked him as much as I did Glenn Turner, but ahead of anyone else in the rnodern era.

Post #484558  Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:31 am 

Bernard wrote:
Decaf wrote:
the sublime Amla not quite the force he was but still all class and serenity,

Amla has been my favourite non-Middlesex player for quite a few years now. Never liked him as much as I did Glenn Turner, but ahead of anyone else in the rnodern era.
We were privileged to have Amla at Surrey for a while and he was very popular. As was the magnificent Ricky Ponting. However, in recent times none so loved as Kumar Sangakkara. We also have fond memories of Mark Ramprakash. I was hoping Alec Stewart might open the cheque book and get Steve Smith at some stage, but forget that one now.

Post #484559  Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:05 am 

kiwipete wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

Not quite the same Welbeck's is a single idiot spur of the moment to cheat ... Smith and his senior cohorts it's premeditated . They've planned to cheat .

Smith could have defused the situation if he'd said "I made a judgement error' and resigned

by hanging "tough ' ... he opens up a barrel load of worms where everyone and their dog can have a go at the Aussies .

True and everyone from politicians and the media have slated them . However on Fox they had on 2 ex NZ players who regaled us of how they altered the ball in their team. Also told us that is why England used to put zips in their gear.

The game has been going down a slippery slope for a long time. Our players are spoilt brats as was indicated by their strike over a new wage deal. They quickly after that managed a loss to Bangladesh. However punishment wise it will be interesting to see what happens. I think Smith should go but I thought that about Wenger as well.

Still last week a player who assaulted another player was found not guilty despite the TV footage. Still interesting times. Wellbeck is no different at all - he cheated but he wasn’t even punished.

Post #484560  Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:09 am 

Decaf wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

I agree, Gaz. Consistency is what we need, without any backward notions of things being ok or not because the fit or don't fit with our notions of masculinity.

But carrying an object onto the field of play with the intention of breaking the rules carries an element of premeditation that cannot be explained away in the same way an act of aggression or simulation can be. Objectively, it is as bad as doping.

Please don’t get me started on doping. Is carrying an object on the pitch any different than assaulting a player in a send off and not being punished. Are there different rules for different teams.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12111, 12112, 12113, 12114, 12115, 12116, 12117 ... 14269  Next