Fixtures Sunday February 25th - Manchester City - Wembley Stadium - Carabao Cup - 4:30 Pm

Kick-Off

        Injuries            Steve Gleiber



Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:27 pm

All times are UTC


  


Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: bubblechris, Gaz from Oz, Googlebot, warrior and 14 guests

 
Post #490881  Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:15 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:20 am
Posts: 8385

TOP GUN wrote:
Rich wrote:
If you had the ability to restructure our squad, money no object, how many of this current squad would you keep in order to create a team who put in a genuine title challenge? Ignore the manager situation because I know we could sign a world 11 but not challenge while wenger is manager. But how many of this squad are simply not good enough?
Compare that to Man U, Chelsea, Liverpool, spurs - who I would estimate have at least 5-6 players each in their starting 11 good enough for a title challenge. For us it is maybe 1 or 2



Özil, Lacazette, Aubameyang, Mhikitaryan, jack and Ramsey all worth keeping. The rest are past their best or not good enough to regularly play in a team that intends to compete for the title.


At the moment we still have three more slots for non-homegrown players in the first team squad. Would like to see us strengthen our defence (GK, CB and DCM) in the summer. On paper we are looking very good attacking-wise.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #490882  Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:24 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:04 am
Posts: 4696
Location: Townsville Australia

grantyboy wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
Having mentioned him, against Spurs what was our plan B way of playing late in the game. We have now taken the Giroud type of play out of the equation.

I realise we actually wasted a couple of chances late on despite not having a plan B so maybe it was not such an issue.

However I would like to see us try Eddie or someone else who dribbled in the box as plan B in the future. We never really tried a lot of high balls either probably because no one is much of a threat in the air. We might have spent some money but we may have restricted our ability to change direction during a game which really is a small step backwards.


Chatting with a spurs supporter this morning and while he thought aubameyang was a good buy he was a little mystified because Lacazette is so similar.

I wonder if Wenger might sell Laca. By the end of the season we might decide that neither of them is able to score enough goals. But I think the problem that needs to be sorted is midfield which produces very little in effective balls into the box. All the midfielders have good pass numbers but most of them are sideways and not the defence splitting passes for Aubameyang or Laca. Did your mate make any comment on our defence and midfield.

_________________
If this policy does not deliver then I would say we have to change it.
AW 150810


 Profile  
 
 
Post #490883  Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:39 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:22 pm
Posts: 17328

grantyboy wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
Having mentioned him, against Spurs what was our plan B way of playing late in the game. We have now taken the Giroud type of play out of the equation.

I realise we actually wasted a couple of chances late on despite not having a plan B so maybe it was not such an issue.

However I would like to see us try Eddie or someone else who dribbled in the box as plan B in the future. We never really tried a lot of high balls either probably because no one is much of a threat in the air. We might have spent some money but we may have restricted our ability to change direction during a game which really is a small step backwards.


Chatting with a spurs supporter this morning and while he thought aubameyang was a good buy he was a little mystified because Lacazette is so similar.


Hi Gaz,

To me the Auba signing looked like one last desperate (and expensive) throw of the dice to try and land us a CL spot. It did not seem like a Wenger signing at all.

The fact that we were so comprehensively outplayed by the Spuds and now have little chance of a CL spot coupled with the fact that he can't play in the Europa League means that within two games he has become something of an irrelevance for this season.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #490884  Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:29 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:06 am
Posts: 12154

Gaz from Oz wrote:
grantyboy wrote:

Chatting with a spurs supporter this morning and while he thought aubameyang was a good buy he was a little mystified because Lacazette is so similar.

I wonder if Wenger might sell Laca. By the end of the season we might decide that neither of them is able to score enough goals. But I think the problem that needs to be sorted is midfield which produces very little in effective balls into the box. All the midfielders have good pass numbers but most of them are sideways and not the defence splitting passes for Aubameyang or Laca. Did your mate make any comment on our defence and midfield.

I suspect that your friend is no more mystified than Wenger himself.

I wouldn't be surprised if both players are sold on.

_________________
Hamba kakuhle, Madiba


 Profile  
 
 
Post #490885  Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:13 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:20 am
Posts: 8385

socrates wrote:
To me the Auba signing looked like one last desperate (and expensive) throw of the dice to try and land us a CL spot. It did not seem like a Wenger signing at all.

.

It is very much a Wenger signing of recent seasons - similar to Sanchez, Özil and Lacazette. Big money for established superstars. If only he would do it every transfer window.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #490886  Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:11 pm 
Online

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:31 pm
Posts: 2362
Location: Waltham Abbey, Essex

Is Laca injured?

Just saw he's out for up to 6 weeks :20hospitals:

Quote:
Arsenal said in a statement this afternoon: "Striker Alex Lacazette had an arthroscopy on his left knee in London on Tuesday morning.



 Profile  
 
 
Post #490887  Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:17 pm 
Online

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:31 pm
Posts: 2362
Location: Waltham Abbey, Essex

Craig Pawson's reward for being a useless referee is to ref the League Cup Final.

The Fa really are a load of wankers.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #490888  Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:33 pm
Posts: 3628
Location: SE9

bubblechris wrote:
Is Laca injured?

Just saw he's out for up to 6 weeks :20hospitals:

Quote:
Arsenal said in a statement this afternoon: "Striker Alex Lacazette had an arthroscopy on his left knee in London on Tuesday morning.


Give Eddie Nketiah a start against the Swedes.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #490889  Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:22 pm
Posts: 17328

Goonie wrote:
socrates wrote:
To me the Auba signing looked like one last desperate (and expensive) throw of the dice to try and land us a CL spot. It did not seem like a Wenger signing at all.

.

It is very much a Wenger signing of recent seasons - similar to Sanchez, Özil and Lacazette. Big money for established superstars. If only he would do it every transfer window.


I was thinking more age-wise. He's 29 in June.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #490890  Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:11 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 12502

Goonie wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

Özil, Lacazette, Aubameyang, Mhikitaryan, jack and Ramsey all worth keeping. The rest are past their best or not good enough to regularly play in a team that intends to compete for the title.


At the moment we still have three more slots for non-homegrown players in the first team squad. Would like to see us strengthen our defence (GK, CB and DCM) in the summer. On paper we are looking very good attacking-wise.

'on paper' being the key part there. I think our attack is very unbalanced. Wenger seems to have created an attack with good individuals but no idea how to form it in to a cohesive attacking unit and has an abundance of players with a very similar skill set.
I've long thought that Ramsey and Wilshere struggle to play in the same side. Lacazette and Aubamayang look similar, as do Özil and Mkhitaryan.
There is no natural width, no players who dribble and beat a man, giroud gone loses the target man in the squad
I'd be looking to definitely add a couple of young quick wide men in the summer. Pace, trickery, dribbling and an end product. Obviously everyone is looking for players like that. Ask defenders what they like to face and what they hate to. They are ok facing the attacking style Arsenal have because 95% of it is in front of them and little movement. In the small moments we get it spot on most defences can't cope so there is little to lose any sleep over for them. They hate facing pace and direct dribbling.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #490891  Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:54 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 12502

Juventus 2-0 spurs inside 8 minutes.

What can we do to tempt allegri to take over from wenger?!


 Profile  
 
 
Post #490892  Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:02 pm
Posts: 6071

Hi Rich, I know you're arguably part of the fan titillation culture with transfer gossip. But I'm sorry as I don't think it's too much to do with the players. You clearly think deeply about styles of play, tactics, and players who would fit them. But what's the point? If you named a world eleven you'd want as the team, with Wenger as manager we'd finish sixth. I strongly suspect you realise it as you've hinted you do. But I'm with kiwipete's reply to one of your posts last night. What's the point?

Players aren't the most important factor. The manager is. Let's start discussing players once Wenger has finally sodded off.

_________________
Kroenke out!


 Profile  
 
 
Post #490893  Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:53 pm
Posts: 3226
Location: Over here

So who’s the best manager in the premier league?

_________________
"You've got to go out on a limb sometimes because that's where the fruit is."


 Profile  
 
 
Post #490894  Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:33 pm
Posts: 3628
Location: SE9

Parkerknoll Gooner wrote:
So who’s the best manager in the premier league?

Pep


 Profile  
 
 
Post #490895  Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:53 pm
Posts: 3226
Location: Over here

Didn’t think Bernard rated Pep?

_________________
"You've got to go out on a limb sometimes because that's where the fruit is."


 Profile  
 
 
Post #490896  Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 12502

Bernard wrote:
Hi Rich, I know you're arguably part of the fan titillation culture with transfer gossip. But I'm sorry as I don't think it's too much to do with the players. You clearly think deeply about styles of play, tactics, and players who would fit them. But what's the point? If you named a world eleven you'd want as the team, with Wenger as manager we'd finish sixth. I strongly suspect you realise it as you've hinted you do. But I'm with kiwipete's reply to one of your posts last night. What's the point?

Players aren't the most important factor. The manager is. Let's start discussing players once Wenger has finally sodded off.

Hi Bernard, I agree with a lot of what you say, but I still enjoy talking about football and arsenal. I’m bored of constantly writing and talking about the same mistakes and having the same resigned nature with arsenal so occasionally I let my mind drift in to what it could be or what it would take to fix us.
Clearly nothing changes until wenger leaves and I would like to see a new manager with the same players but at the same time there are some things that happen on the pitch that can’t be wenger’s fault. I blame wenger for creating a culture with no consequences for mistakes but when Čech miss kicks straight to a Swansea player to score it is clear we need a new gk.

If we don’t talk about players because wenger is the problem then we are only left to talk about wenger and the board. That depresses me more than pouring over the mistakes of our players.

But for some talk about the board I think gazidis has taken a lot of flak and some of it very justified but I am of the opinion that he does want change. He has made some good behind the scenes appointments and I think he does want wenger gone. Put it this way, of all board members I feel gazidis is one of the few who do want us to push on and win things


 Profile  
 
 
Post #490897  Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:53 pm
Posts: 3226
Location: Over here

So Pep could take our squad to a title but Wenger wouldn’t win it with city’s, I think I get it now.

_________________
"You've got to go out on a limb sometimes because that's where the fruit is."


 Profile  
 
 
Post #490898  Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:02 pm
Posts: 6071

Parkerknoll Gooner wrote:
Didn’t think Bernard rated Pep?

Guardiola has done his stuff at huge or rich clubs. How can you not win the Bundesliga with Bayern (I'm being flippant as I know they don't win it every year. My point is the Champions League is the measure of a Bayern manager, not the poxy Bundesliga). He's a good coach and I'd now welcome him at Arsenal. But I'd rather have Pochettino.

_________________
Kroenke out!


 Profile  
 
 
Post #490899  Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 12502

Rich wrote:
Juventus 2-0 spurs inside 8 minutes.

What can we do to tempt allegri to take over from wenger?!

2-1 now. Kane scores again.
To be fair since they went 2-0 down spurs has been the dominant team and have had enough chances to be level at least


 Profile  
 
 
Post #490900  Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:42 am
Posts: 11116
Location: Rotorua New Zealand

grantyboy wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
Having mentioned him, against Spurs what was our plan B way of playing late in the game. We have now taken the Giroud type of play out of the equation.

I realise we actually wasted a couple of chances late on despite not having a plan B so maybe it was not such an issue.

However I would like to see us try Eddie or someone else who dribbled in the box as plan B in the future. We never really tried a lot of high balls either probably because no one is much of a threat in the air. We might have spent some money but we may have restricted our ability to change direction during a game which really is a small step backwards.


Chatting with a spurs supporter this morning and while he thought aubameyang was a good buy he was a little mystified because Lacazette is so similar.

Mystified he may be little Granty Boy .... but Arsene's vision was such that he knew Lacazette was going to need a knee operation that would keep him out for six weeks .

"Six weeks "......translated ....that means we will see Laca back playing sometime in November .

Diaby Mkhitaryan 2 [ Welbeck ] our only striker on the European front .

Aubameyang ineligible , Laca injured , Sanchez or Giroud sold ..." all our chickens have come home to roost " ... big time .


 Profile  
 
 
Post #490901  Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:23 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 12502

Spurs back to 2-2. They deserve it. They rode their luck certainly with Juve missing a huge penalty right on half time for 3-1, but hard to not be impressed with how spurs have taken the game to Juve after a nervous start. Can’t remeber the last time we did that to any semi decent team in Europe let alone one of the best.

I always thought spurs had a thin squad and huge luck with injuries but this season they have missed their two first choice full backs from last year, alderweireld has been out for a while and wanyama our for a long time. Their forward players are consistently fit and relentless in their press for 90 minutes. It’s clear to see every player knows exactly what he’s doing with and without the ball.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #490902  Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:26 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 12502

The other thing spurs do is the far k side of the game. Their players continually dive and always look for the quick tactical foul when they lose possession.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #490903  Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:58 pm
Posts: 1834

Rich wrote:
Spurs back to 2-2. They deserve it. They rode their luck certainly with Juve missing a huge penalty right on half time for 3-1, but hard to not be impressed with how spurs have taken the game to Juve after a nervous start. Can’t remeber the last time we did that to any semi decent team in Europe let alone one of the best.

I always thought spurs had a thin squad and huge luck with injuries but this season they have missed their two first choice full backs from last year, alderweireld has been out for a while and wanyama our for a long time. Their forward players are consistently fit and relentless in their press for 90 minutes. It’s clear to see every player knows exactly what he’s doing with and without the ball.



Reminds me of our performance in Milan 10:years ago ,

Obviously the ultimate currency will be what this team win and who they keep out of their stars , but any gooner who can’t see this is a club on the up is living on a river in Egypt


 Profile  
 
 
Post #490904  Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 12502

Found this funny today.
Wenger has ‘nearly signed’ so many players that he is going to nearly sign the son of a player he nearly signed.

It was in relation to Justin Kluivert who is doing good things at Ajax


 Profile  
 
 
Post #490905  Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:58 pm
Posts: 1834

Even if Wenger had an ounce of self awareness he would look at this in contrast to our first leg capitulations with embarrassment , whatever the final score in the tie this is how to play in Europe


 Profile  
 
 
Post #490906  Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:33 pm
Posts: 3628
Location: SE9

Pete on the beach wrote:
Rich wrote:
Spurs back to 2-2. They deserve it. They rode their luck certainly with Juve missing a huge penalty right on half time for 3-1, but hard to not be impressed with how spurs have taken the game to Juve after a nervous start. Can’t remeber the last time we did that to any semi decent team in Europe let alone one of the best.

I always thought spurs had a thin squad and huge luck with injuries but this season they have missed their two first choice full backs from last year, alderweireld has been out for a while and wanyama our for a long time. Their forward players are consistently fit and relentless in their press for 90 minutes. It’s clear to see every player knows exactly what he’s doing with and without the ball.



Reminds me of our performance in Milan 10:years ago ,

Obviously the ultimate currency will be what this team win and who they keep out of their stars , but any gooner who can’t see this is a club on the up is living on a river in Egypt

Bit unfair that on people living on rivers in Egypt.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #490907  Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:38 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:04 am
Posts: 4696
Location: Townsville Australia

Rich wrote:
Goonie wrote:

At the moment we still have three more slots for non-homegrown players in the first team squad. Would like to see us strengthen our defence (GK, CB and DCM) in the summer. On paper we are looking very good attacking-wise.

'on paper' being the key part there. I think our attack is very unbalanced. Wenger seems to have created an attack with good individuals but no idea how to form it in to a cohesive attacking unit and has an abundance of players with a very similar skill set.
I've long thought that Ramsey and Wilshere struggle to play in the same side. Lacazette and Aubamayang look similar, as do Özil and Mkhitaryan.
There is no natural width, no players who dribble and beat a man, giroud gone loses the target man in the squad
I'd be looking to definitely add a couple of young quick wide men in the summer. Pace, trickery, dribbling and an end product. Obviously everyone is looking for players like that. Ask defenders what they like to face and what they hate to. They are ok facing the attacking style Arsenal have because 95% of it is in front of them and little movement. In the small moments we get it spot on most defences can't cope so there is little to lose any sleep over for them. They hate facing pace and direct dribbling.

No need to be left wondering. one of either Eddie or Reiss should start every EPL game from now to the end of the season. Lets ask the questions now about their ability. They have dribbling and will move around the pitch. Keen as mustard. The EPL is gone but probably only Wenger believes we can make top 4.

_________________
If this policy does not deliver then I would say we have to change it.
AW 150810


 Profile  
 
 
Post #490908  Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:49 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:57 pm
Posts: 12502

Pete on the beach wrote:
Rich wrote:
Spurs back to 2-2. They deserve it. They rode their luck certainly with Juve missing a huge penalty right on half time for 3-1, but hard to not be impressed with how spurs have taken the game to Juve after a nervous start. Can’t remeber the last time we did that to any semi decent team in Europe let alone one of the best.

I always thought spurs had a thin squad and huge luck with injuries but this season they have missed their two first choice full backs from last year, alderweireld has been out for a while and wanyama our for a long time. Their forward players are consistently fit and relentless in their press for 90 minutes. It’s clear to see every player knows exactly what he’s doing with and without the ball.



Reminds me of our performance in Milan 10:years ago ,

Obviously the ultimate currency will be what this team win and who they keep out of their stars , but any gooner who can’t see this is a club on the up is living on a river in Egypt

Yep, all of spurs team are paid at least half what their talent deserves. I’m surprised more big teams hasn’t come in for their players but they will get picked off. Alderweireld is probably next. I’d be surprised if Real Madrid don’t make a huge bidfor Kane.
But spurs have lost some players, they have sold at the absolute peak price and crucially reinvested that money.
The key will be Kane and Pochettino. Real Madrid may be interested in both this summer.
Smaller teams generally get players picked off as soon as they win something.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #490909  Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:57 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:04 am
Posts: 4696
Location: Townsville Australia

socrates wrote:
grantyboy wrote:

Chatting with a spurs supporter this morning and while he thought aubameyang was a good buy he was a little mystified because Lacazette is so similar.


Hi Gaz,

To me the Auba signing looked like one last desperate (and expensive) throw of the dice to try and land us a CL spot. It did not seem like a Wenger signing at all.

The fact that we were so comprehensively outplayed by the Spuds and now have little chance of a CL spot coupled with the fact that he can't play in the Europa League means that within two games he has become something of an irrelevance for this season.

Not the first time in his career he has looked for the kick start in January. Asharvin worked but this season and last there are too many problems across the squad. He has run out of tricks. As has been said Aubameyang is quite old. Remember that after 30 years of age Wenger used to ditch players.

Looking at all the problems across the club and squad, the only thing left to try is to get a new manager. All the tricks have been tried and failed. Over to you Arsene.

_________________
If this policy does not deliver then I would say we have to change it.
AW 150810


 Profile  
 
 
Post #490910  Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:17 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:04 am
Posts: 4696
Location: Townsville Australia

Parkerknoll Gooner wrote:
So who’s the best manager in the premier league?

I assume you are shopping for a new manager. If so I think it depends on a number of factors. Pep has it going on with a very expensive squad and some simply great players. But over at Crystal Palace Roy H has done a great job as has the Huddersfield manager. There are a number of clubs where just staying up is a great effort. So much depends on the current squad of players at the relevant club as to how I judge the best manager.

Lets move to our particular club. The trouble I now have is that across the squad we don't have many great players. Pep may not succeed with our squad. GK and defense wise we need some real money injected. Unbalanced across midfield and only one style of attack. I don't know whether he could take our squad from pretenders to challengers. I believe many of our players are either not good enough or so damaged goods they could not change.

Therefore if we want a new manager I think it has to be a Spurs type manager who can take okay players to a new level. The Raineri effect at Leicester as an example. But I suspect that over the following 2 years from a new manager being appointed we would need to churn some 7-10 players from the current squad.

_________________
If this policy does not deliver then I would say we have to change it.
AW 150810


 Profile  
 
 
Post #490911  Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:53 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:52 pm
Posts: 795
Location: Salisbury

Gaz from Oz wrote:
Parkerknoll Gooner wrote:
So who’s the best manager in the premier league?

Therefore if we want a new manager I think it has to be a Spurs type manager who can take okay players to a new level. The Raineri effect at Leicester as an example. But I suspect that over the following 2 years from a new manager being appointed we would need to churn some 7-10 players from the current squad.


Basically we need a new "Wenger" because with the financial model that Kroenke has forced upon the club it will be impossible to buy our way back into the CL.

Worrying that it appears the English teams could be about to start dominating the CL, to some extent anyway, as that will just allow the likes of City to pull further away and Spurs to close the gap (financially) on us very quickly.

Ivan has a hell of a job on his hands to get us back as a regular CL club, let alone one that can win either the PL or CL.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #490912  Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:15 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:42 am
Posts: 11116
Location: Rotorua New Zealand

Wilts-Gooner wrote:

Basically we need a new "Wenger" because with the financial model that Kroenke has forced upon the club it will be impossible to buy our way back into the CL.

Ivan has a hell of a job on his hands to get us back as a regular CL club, let alone one that can win either the PL or CL.


The way I see it Kroenke is in a win win situation .... he doesn't have to invest big $$$$$ into the club , because no matter what results we churn out , type of football we play Arsenal Football Club will always be an attractive commodity .

Usmanov , some filthy rich Thai , Indian , Nigerian whoever would be busting a gut to grab the reins ... if he put the club up for sale tomorrow he'd be inundated with offers ... he'd double his investment .

Our value rises no matter what happens on the pitch . So he can sit smugly in the stands with his stupid hairpiece , wispy moustache and bide his time .

Just as Spurs were fortunate to get Pochettino we were just as misfortunate to inherit Kroenke .

Nina Smith and Fitzman have a lot to answer for .


 Profile  
 
 
Post #490913  Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:21 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:04 am
Posts: 4696
Location: Townsville Australia

Wilts-Gooner wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:
Therefore if we want a new manager I think it has to be a Spurs type manager who can take okay players to a new level. The Raineri effect at Leicester as an example. But I suspect that over the following 2 years from a new manager being appointed we would need to churn some 7-10 players from the current squad.


Basically we need a new "Wenger" because with the financial model that Kroenke has forced upon the club it will be impossible to buy our way back into the CL.

Worrying that it appears the English teams could be about to start dominating the CL, to some extent anyway, as that will just allow the likes of City to pull further away and Spurs to close the gap (financially) on us very quickly.

Ivan has a hell of a job on his hands to get us back as a regular CL club, let alone one that can win either the PL or CL.

We certainly look like we are being left behind. I don’t believe any decent manager will not want a large cash injection.

_________________
If this policy does not deliver then I would say we have to change it.
AW 150810


 Profile  
 
 
Post #490914  Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:31 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:58 am
Posts: 26540

Parkerknoll Gooner wrote:
So Pep could take our squad to a title but Wenger wouldn’t win it with city’s, I think I get it now.

:icon_mrgreen: When you have got the biggest purse in England (arguably the world) to buy players it takes more than rolling the ball out on the practice pitch to win you know? There is the matter of which multi millionaire, top class player to put on the team sheet. hehe


 Profile  
 
 
Post #490915  Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:58 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:55 pm
Posts: 7150
Location: Singapore

Rich wrote:
Found this funny today.
Wenger has ‘nearly signed’ so many players that he is going to nearly sign the son of a player he nearly signed.

It was in relation to Justin Kluivert who is doing good things at Ajax


The vacillating guy has lots of stories to tell

_________________
Top 4 is NOT a Trophy!


 Profile  
 
 
Post #490916  Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:01 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:55 pm
Posts: 7150
Location: Singapore

kiwipete wrote:
Wilts-Gooner wrote:

Basically we need a new "Wenger" because with the financial model that Kroenke has forced upon the club it will be impossible to buy our way back into the CL.

Ivan has a hell of a job on his hands to get us back as a regular CL club, let alone one that can win either the PL or CL.


The way I see it Kroenke is in a win win situation .... he doesn't have to invest big $$$$$ into the club , because no matter what results we churn out , type of football we play Arsenal Football Club will always be an attractive commodity .

Usmanov , some filthy rich Thai , Indian , Nigerian whoever would be busting a gut to grab the reins ... if he put the club up for sale tomorrow he'd be inundated with offers ... he'd double his investment .

Our value rises no matter what happens on the pitch . So he can sit smugly in the stands with his stupid hairpiece , wispy moustache and bide his time .

Just as Spurs were fortunate to get Pochettino we were just as misfortunate to inherit Kroenke .

Nina Smith and Fitzman have a lot to answer for .


misfortunate, now that's a new one :icon_mrgreen:

_________________
Top 4 is NOT a Trophy!


 Profile  
 
 
Post #490917  Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:03 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:55 pm
Posts: 7150
Location: Singapore

Spurs are growing from strength to strength, while we are declining. Wenger cannot be held fully responsible for this changing state of North London, but at least fully responsible for the the latter part.

_________________
Top 4 is NOT a Trophy!


 Profile  
 
 
Post #490918  Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:21 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:58 am
Posts: 26540

If anyone of their fans start doing the '99 Man Utd at Juve comparisons I'll vomit. Arsenal move into a new stadium and drop, sperz are in a new stadium while waiting for theirs and get better. Their 5th table showing has to be placed in its proper context. Man City is in its own league. The league title was won before it got started. Sperz are only 4 points from 2nd place Man Utd. 2nd to 5th is pretty tight and a couple matches here or there changes and the table can change weekly from here on out for the CL places.

I have to assume they also don't have money to spend. So that can't be used as an excuse. The big, glaring difference between us and them when we were moving was belief. We went from no worse than 2nd to top 4, they went from no CL to top 4 and those opposite trends is where belief (lack or increased) comes in.

Things may change for them if their manager of Kane goes. I think the most important person they have is the manager. They can lose Kane and I think still be formidable. They'll get a pretty penny for him and I think they won't make the same mistake with the money that they did when Bale was sold.

They could decline noticeably with no Kane. That is the logical view but their manager is good enough to counter that. Klopp seems to getting along fairly well without Coutinho. We may even end up with a better attack sans Sanchez.


 Profile  
 
 
Post #490919  Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:54 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:04 am
Posts: 4696
Location: Townsville Australia

gooner7 wrote:
Rich wrote:
Found this funny today.
Wenger has ‘nearly signed’ so many players that he is going to nearly sign the son of a player he nearly signed.

It was in relation to Justin Kluivert who is doing good things at Ajax


The vacillating guy has lots of stories to tell

His book will be bigger than the bible and just as fanciful.

_________________
If this policy does not deliver then I would say we have to change it.
AW 150810


 Profile  
 
 
Post #490920  Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:59 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:04 am
Posts: 4696
Location: Townsville Australia

AmericanGooner wrote:
If anyone of their fans start doing the '99 Man Utd at Juve comparisons I'll vomit. Arsenal move into a new stadium and drop, sperz are in a new stadium while waiting for theirs and get better. Their 5th table showing has to be placed in its proper context. Man City is in its own league. The league title was won before it got started. Sperz are only 4 points from 2nd place Man Utd. 2nd to 5th is pretty tight and a couple matches here or there changes and the table can change weekly from here on out for the CL places.

I have to assume they also don't have money to spend. So that can't be used as an excuse. The big, glaring difference between us and them when we were moving was belief. We went from no worse than 2nd to top 4, they went from no CL to top 4 and those opposite trends is where belief (lack or increased) comes in.

Things may change for them if their manager of Kane goes. I think the most important person they have is the manager. They can lose Kane and I think still be formidable. They'll get a pretty penny for him and I think they won't make the same mistake with the money that they did when Bale was sold.

They could decline noticeably with no Kane. That is the logical view but their manager is good enough to counter that. Klopp seems to getting along fairly well without Coutinho. We may even end up with a better attack sans Sanchez.

Kane may not want a move. I have not seen an stories linking him to RM other than stories out of Real. No agent wining and dining at Real. Maybe he has no interest in such a move at the moment.

_________________
If this policy does not deliver then I would say we have to change it.
AW 150810


 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
     [ 491302 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 12270, 12271, 12272, 12273, 12274, 12275, 12276 ... 12283  Next

All times are UTC

Gooners Online - Click to see what Everyones Doing

Colour Key:  Visited Profile    Members Profile      Admin

Get Latest Post

Users browsing this forum: bubblechris, Gaz from Oz, Googlebot, warrior and 14 guests


Search for:

Go to Top

Powered by php BB © 1993 - 2016