Fixtures March 31st - Manchester City - Etihad Stadium - 3:30 Pm

Kick-Off

Injuries                 Steve Gleiber

Get the Latest Post Go to the Bottom of Page It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:07 pm

All times are UTC

Reply to topic

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 88 guests

Post #476881  Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:42 pm 

Zed wrote:
Rich wrote:
I’ve been very critical of us in the past (and when we went 1-0 down here) so it is only fair that I praise the team when they put in a performance like that.

Front 4 of Lacazette, Sanchez, Özil and Ramsey were all excellent going forward. There were times when we were just gliding and slicing through Everton with runners coming from every angle. Great to watch.

Probably no coincidence that this is the first time our 3 record signings all started together.

Now to sit back and hopefully watch a high scoring draw with red cards and injuries between spurs and Liverpool

Well not quite. :1laughter:

Now to sit back and hopefully watch a high scoring draw with red cards and injuries between spurs and Liverpool
This I meant Rich.

Post #476882  Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:44 pm 

Rich wrote:
I can’t see them beating City this season

Nor can I. But if they were still playing at White Hart Lane I think it would have been extremely close.

Post #476883  Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:45 pm 

Abu wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:
Yeah?
I am using the Brit term 'local' which I heard on here. I went there pretty much every week. The owners and regulars knew me. Before matches were on TV in America regularly, I (and other football fans) went there to watch matches live on satellite.
Good times. Good memories. All supporters in the same place so you got to know rival supporters on a personal basis. Felt weird at times. lol.

they felt weird did they - not surprised with you about - bullsh**ter extraordinaire

Nothing at all weird about rival supporters in the same pub/bar. It's all about the banter AG.

Post #476884  Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:08 pm 

There is an article on F365 about Koeman and the mess at Everton, in it they showed the average position of each Everton player vs us today. Amazingly 6 players had an average position INSIDE the centre circle but yet arsenal completely over ran Everton in central midfield.

Pickford was a good buy and I think Keane was as well and will perform better in a more confident team. Some of the other buys have seemed like Koeman indulging himself without a plan. Coleman is a big miss and Baines is well on the wane now. They have lost the stability of the team, I actually think Barkley is a big miss for them even though it seems Koeman doesn’t rate him. Finally bolasie gives them a lot on the wing.

Post #476885  Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:12 pm 

Bernard wrote:
Rich wrote:
I can’t see them beating City this season

Nor can I. But if they were still playing at White Hart Lane I think it would have been extremely close.

I’d agree. They seem to be juggling champions league and prem commitments well. It will be interesting if they go deep in the other cup competitions. To be fair they have coped better than I thought they would with injuries - albeit there are some players who are clearly more important than others, I’d say Lloris, the CB’s, eriksen and Kane.

Spurs have some very good versatility in the team. Both RB have been used at LB, a couple of the CB can play full back, dier can play mid, cb and rb. And it seems every player is 100% sure of their role with and without the ball in both a 4 at the back and 5 at the back.

Post #476886  Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:16 pm 

Rich wrote:
Bernard wrote:

I’d agree. They seem to be juggling champions league and prem commitments well. It will be interesting if they go deep in the other cup competitions. To be fair they have coped better than I thought they would with injuries - albeit there are some players who are clearly more important than others, I’d say Lloris, the CB’s, eriksen and Kane.

Spurs have some very good versatility in the team. Both RB have been used at LB, a couple of the CB can play full back, dier can play mid, cb and rb. And it seems every player is 100% sure of their role with and without the ball in both a 4 at the back and 5 at the back.

You forgot Dele Alli. It’s a hell of a first 11. Just hurry up and crumble please will you!! Alli is built for the premier league. Nasty side but English so he gets away with it. Creative but athletic and hard working with it. Not bad in the air and six foot plus. They hit gold there with him. Kane continues to baffle me. I’d be the coach who wrote him off at 18 and lived to regret it forever.

Post #476887  Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:59 pm 

Ash wrote:
Kane continues to baffle me. I’d be the coach who wrote him off at 18 and lived to regret it forever.

The only thing Kane doesn't have is electric pace. If he did have it I'd see him as almost perfect. Size, strong in the air, controls the ball and lays it off, accurate and intelligent passer, good work rate, and a great finisher. I bet Real Madrid would rather have him than Ronaldo because of their age difference.

Post #476888  Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:15 am 

Zed wrote:
Nothing at all weird about rival supporters in the same pub/bar. It's all about the banter AG.

Hello Zed, what seemed a bit weird and perhaps a better choice of words was the relationship you developed with rival supporters because you saw them week in, week out, sometimes a few times a week for cups and CL matches.

There was this one Londoner, a Man Utd fan who I actually picked up every match to go to the matches for several months, due to car issues. He got engaged to an American girl while in the states working. Got to know her too. We had our own ritual, unsaid, unwritten rule was no gloating or salt in the wounds. If Arsenal got a bad result that day he would pick up the breakfast tab and I would for him, at times he picked it up a bit more than I would and visa versa, depending on how good each side was that season..lol. First half of 2002, he was picking up the tab, 2nd half of the season I was gladly footing the bill.

There was a visiting Tottenham supporter I almost got into a fight with, complete a-hole, loud, insulting and was directing abuse at me and another gooner. The bartender straightened him out. I was afraid of what would happen to him...hehehe

Post #476889  Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:34 pm 

Test message

Post #476890  Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:42 pm 

Koeman sacked.........................................

Post #476891  Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:09 pm 

I get BBC where I am, just learned Koeman is no longer with Everton. I actually thought he'd make a decent manager for us at one time. Maybe he still could be. Given a choice between him and Wenger right now, I'd take a chance with Koeman still, given no other choices. For me at least, things have gotten that bad.

Post #476892  Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:49 pm 

bubblechris wrote:

So, if a team performs poorly, they just sack the manager ?

Wow, can they do that ? /Sarcasm

Post #476893  Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:08 pm 

Rich wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Definitely dark horses for CL, I'd say.

Post #476894  Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:09 pm 

warrior wrote:
bubblechris wrote:

So, if a team performs poorly, they just sack the manager ?

Wow, can they do that ? /Sarcasm

:icon_rabbit: :laughing7:

Post #476895  Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:38 pm 

Having made my views pretty clear on Özil and his attitude and effectiveness for us, fairness dictates that I comment on his performance yesterday.

I though he was excellent. His movement was a joy to watch and his passing was perceptive and penetrative. I can’t remember seeing him play better.

Post #476896  Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:24 pm 

DHD wrote:
Having made my views pretty clear on Özil and his attitude and effectiveness for us, fairness dictates that I comment on his performance yesterday.

I though he was excellent. His movement was a joy to watch and his passing was perceptive and penetrative. I can’t remember seeing him play better.

and I ask a question again. Does anybody like me want him to sign a new, reasonable, contract and stay with us?

Whilst I'm asking, would you also like Sanchez to also sign a new reasonable contract?

Post #476897  Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:46 pm 

bubblechris wrote:
DHD wrote:

and I ask a question again. Does anybody like me want him to sign a new, reasonable, contract and stay with us?

Whilst I'm asking, would you also like Sanchez to also sign a new reasonable contract?

I don't really care. I'd prefer them to stay, I suppose. It won't happen though.

Post #476898  Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:08 pm 

DHD wrote:

He was good.

I wonder in a few years time how we will all view his time with us. Clearly he's off in the summer but he never really had the supporting cast at Arsenal to enhance his platform. He was always missing the pacy striker and defensive midfielder.

If he was sold tomorrow and I was comparing him to Fabregas in his Arsenal stint I'd probably say fabregas was the better player overall. It's unfortunate that Wenger couldn't build the team around our 2 mega signings in him and Sanchez. We now have to start again.

Post #476899  Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:06 pm 

I have some more views and thoughts on the Özil thing, and I will come back. But - I’ve just watched a programme on BBC2 about the Grenfell Tower disaster.

I don’t watch much TV these days but I defy anyone to watch that programme - Grenfell Tower: Life and Death on the 21st Floor - and not weep (I did) at the courage, resilience and life-saving improvisation of those poor *%^@ers.

Post #476900  Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:15 pm 

Giroud has won the FIFA Puskas award for best goal of the year for his scorpion kick v palace.

Post #476901  Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:19 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
DHD wrote:

He was good.

I wonder in a few years time how we will all view his time with us. Clearly he's off in the summer but he never really had the supporting cast at Arsenal to enhance his platform. He was always missing the pacy striker and defensive midfielder.

If he was sold tomorrow and I was comparing him to Fabregas in his Arsenal stint I'd probably say fabregas was the better player overall. It's unfortunate that Wenger couldn't build the team around our 2 mega signings in him and Sanchez. We now have to start again.

I saw someone say Özil is the oil in a first class engine that makes brilliant individual players form in to an exceptional team. Asking him to be the main man, the catalyst for the team is not his strength, but when he signed for us for £42m that’s exactly the position he was put in - expected to win us games on his own like Messi.

I’m not excusing some of his displays because I think he has been poor at times but I think the biggest mistake when we signed Özil was not surrounding him with similar quality. The season we only signed Čech stands out in that regard.

Post #476902  Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:40 pm 

Fifa FifPro World XI: Buffon Alves Ramos Bonucci Marcelo Modric Kroos Iniesta Messi Ronaldo Neymar

This world XI is basically the same players year on year, seems like very lazy voting. I get that Ronaldo and Messi are always there and it is usually dominated by the CL winners but has Iniesta REALLY been one of the top 3 central midfielders in the world last year? Last season he only played 23 league games - didn't score a single goal, didn't win the league and didn't even get close to winning the champions league.

No players from the amazing Monaco team that won the title and got to the CL semi? Kante from Chelsea?

Just had a look - 8 of those in the 2017 team were in the 2016 team. 7 of those 8 were in the 2015 team

Who does the voting for this?

Post #476903  Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:05 pm 

Piggybacking on Rich's post. I said the same about Özil. Either build a team around him that plays to his strengths or sell him. People criticize his defensive nous at times but that was never one of his strengths. At Real Madrid he had other players to do the heavy lifting. For Özil to be fully effective that would have to happen or you change him and his style of play. The EPL is such that you can't have him perform in the role he did in la Liga. The EPL is a much different league where successful sides needs a much more team defense from all players. The pace is faster, counters happen quicker than a much slower paced league.
I think Özil to his credit has improved in areas he wasn't before. First of all he is a much tougher player. He takes tackles and physical play much, much better. He attacks and puts himself on the receiving end of passes much more than he has before. Now that we have made him more of an EPL player other sides want him now.

Post #476904  Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:30 pm 

TOP GUN wrote:
It's unfortunate that Wenger couldn't build the team around our 2 mega signings in him and Sanchez. We now have to start again.

We also probably have to start again after losing both for nothing in the summer, or a fraction of their market value in January. Oh sorry, I forgot. Stan is our owner and will stick his hand in his own pocket to fund adequate replacements for both Sanchez and Özil. :laughing7:

Ye Gods, Stan and Wenger together. What a partnership, or should I say unholy alliance? Would we be any worse off under Philip Green and Iain Duncan Smith?

Post #476905  Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:51 pm 

AmericanGooner wrote:
Piggybacking on Rich's post. I said the same about Özil. Either build a team around him that plays to his strengths or sell him. People criticize his defensive nous at times but that was never one of his strengths. At Real Madrid he had other players to do the heavy lifting. For Özil to be fully effective that would have to happen or you change him and his style of play. The EPL is such that you can't have him perform in the role he did in la Liga. The EPL is a much different league where successful sides needs a much more team defense from all players. The pace is faster, counters happen quicker than a much slower paced league.
I think Özil to his credit has improved in areas he wasn't before. First of all he is a much tougher player. He takes tackles and physical play much, much better. He attacks and puts himself on the receiving end of passes much more than he has before. Now that we have made him more of an EPL player other sides want him now.

Where Özil suffers is that nobody criticises a workmanlike striker in a poor team for not scoring 20 goals a season, because he is paying to his maximum natural ability. The things Özil is torn to shreds for are seen as the things that come for free in football - effort, desire, commitment, tracking back etc. It is a tough one because I wouldn't ever excuse not doing those things every game and I think much of what has been said about Özil is true and at times he has looked uninterested but I can sympathise with players who are being asked to do a job without being given the tools or players around them to do that job.

Post #476906  Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:32 pm 

Has anyone heard of the journo Duncan Castles? He's basically Jose Mourinho's biggest fan. Well, every FIFA affiliated country gets a 'media' vote for the best manager. Pretty much everyone went for Zidane (which in a non world cup or euro year is usually straight forward for the guy who won the CL) - Castles voted for Jose as the best manager of the year, 6th place in the prem.......
Worth reading F365 for their brilliant satirical take on pretty much anything Castles says about Jose.

Post #476907  Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:40 pm 

Rich wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

Where Özil suffers is that nobody criticises a workmanlike striker in a poor team for not scoring 20 goals a season, because he is paying to his maximum natural ability. The things Özil is torn to shreds for are seen as the things that come for free in football - effort, desire, commitment, tracking back etc. It is a tough one because I wouldn't ever excuse not doing those things every game and I think much of what has been said about Özil is true and at times he has looked uninterested but I can sympathise with players who are being asked to do a job without being given the tools or players around them to do that job.

The thing is if you put yourself in Ozils shoes it must be frustrating when your clearly world class and you obviously know the players around you aren't good enough. I mean he was playing in front of Coquelin for a decent while clearly he must know from his career he's not good enough..... Giroud ... el Nenny etc It must affect your motivation

Post #476908  Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:27 am 

Bias or favortism in sports journalism, isn't limited to football. Baseball journos choose the Hall of Fame members. Hank Aaron who had the most home runs ever for a career was not a unanimous choice. He broke the long standing and iconic Babe Ruth's record which some thought could never be equaled. No scandal (your moral character is taken into consideration). They don't tell you who didn't vote for him but its something I wanted to know for years. I want to hear the reasons why certain journalists didn't vote for him.

Post #476909  Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:22 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Rich wrote:

The thing is if you put yourself in Ozils shoes it must be frustrating when your clearly world class and you obviously know the players around you aren't good enough. I mean he was playing in front of Coquelin for a decent while clearly he must know from his career he's not good enough..... Giroud ... el Nenny etc It must affect your motivation

By that reasoning he should buckle down now and start producing the goods, with Sanchez, Lacazette, Ramsey all buzzing around him making runs, creating space, and able to finish. The roll royce engine, the oil ... but are the spark plugs firing?

Post #476910  Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:27 am 

Rich wrote:
AmericanGooner wrote:

The other thing about Özil is that he 'looks uninterested' because of his natural body language and the conventional wisdom amongst the half-educated. Yet the stats say otherwise. People used to complain about Pires and Bergkamp too (although of course it is rose coloured specs now). Fans need to get a life sometimes.

Post #476911  Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:50 am 

Not only do we need a class defensive midfielder, we also need a new keeper. I've not been convinced by Čech since the beginning of last season, and if Mertesacker is 'past it' (I don't think he is) then Čech is definitely so. His errors are becoming more regular, and his performances aren't filling me with confidence.

Post #476912  Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:07 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
he's not good enough..... Giroud ...

Are you serious?

Post #476913  Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:11 am 

bubblechris wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
he's not good enough..... Giroud ...

Are you serious?

Coquelin, Giroud.

You think you can win the league with those 2 in your starting line up. ?

Post #476914  Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:16 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
bubblechris wrote:

Are you serious?

Coquelin, Giroud.

We've got a manager who for 10 years thought we would with Theo in the team, so I am not sure you can criticise others for having views on Coq and Giroud.

Post #476915  Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:47 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:
Coquelin, Giroud.

We've got a manager who for 10 years thought we would with Theo in the team, so I am not sure you can criticise others for having views on Coq and Giroud.

I'm not criticising. Let's give bubblechris an award or something for being as stupid as Wenger.

Post #476916  Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:14 am 

TOP GUN wrote:
Gaz from Oz wrote:

I'm not criticising. Let's give bubblechris an award or something for being as stupid as Wenger.

again with the insults you little schoolboy. There is only one stupid child I know on this forum tht wants us to play without Giroud, and that is the dumbest *%^@ up of all. Need I remind you how many goals Giroud has scored for us. Goals that were in many cases invaluable.

Does anybody else think that Giroud is a waste of space?

Post #476917  Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:21 am 

bubblechris wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

again with the insults you little schoolboy. There is only one stupid child I know on this forum tht wants us to play without Giroud, and that is the dumbest *%^@ up of all. Need I remind you how many goals Giroud has scored for us. Goals that were in many cases invaluable.

I don't think he's a waste of space, but I don't think he's good enough to be a starter in a top side either.

Post #476918  Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:23 am 

bubblechris wrote:
TOP GUN wrote:

I am really not interested in getting in this game but history will tell us a great team is formed because of all forming a cohesive unit with some great and some not so great players (balance). Ray Parlour was not one of the great players but he was a great team player and made a difference. Giroud has been a good player. We all have our opinions but I personally (my opinion) would prefer Giroud to many others.

Post #476919  Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:28 am 

One thing I forgot to mention - if you get the best goal of the year in an award he may not be too bad.

Post #476920  Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:37 am 

Gaz from Oz wrote:
One thing I forgot to mention - if you get the best goal of the year in an award he may not be too bad.

And its not like that goal was fluke. He has a nice collection of that sort of goal. Plus he does the 'blunt instrument' well too.

But there is no denying that his lack of pace is problematic.

[ 570734 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 11920, 11921, 11922, 11923, 11924, 11925, 11926 ... 14269  Next